Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Bellingham should be the cherry on top, the final piece etc. He's only a kid all the same.

Instead he is the silver bullet who needs to transform a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The timing of this implosion couldn't be much worse; United after the best part of a decade going from one crisis to another look to have sorted themselves out, Arsenal have had a massive unexpected resurgence that very few could have predicted and Newcastle have unlimited funds, plus Chelsea are spending like crazy. It's very hard to see a way back to top 4 in the next few seasons; we don't really have many saleable assets without weakening ourselves further and aren't able to compete in the transfer market for the type of players we need. A little forward planning and a slight increase in spent would have avoided the mess we are in. There must be major problems behind the scenes that we are unaware of, as there appears to be next to no effort being made to improve the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,068 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The most frustrating part for me is that, even with all the doom and gloom, we're still only probably 3 midfield signings away from being a great team again. The squad is otherwise quite strong in terms of quality at the back and up front - it's just midfield where we're sorely lacking. A high quality 6, and two high energy CM's and we could see everything improve rapidly. The defence would be better protected, and the attack would have a far better platform to build form.

Maddening that we didn't bring in just one of those midfield options either last summer or this winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭jones

This exactly which really makes the lack of any real action in the summer or now very hard to understand. We've gone from being title contenders to not even getting top 4 and maybe not top 6.

As others have said maybe there's something big going on behind the scenes (but i doubt it) all the noises from Liverpool these days seem to be negative and player injuries are a real concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Just had a scary thought... hear me out....

Klopp took over a demoralised Liverpool. Brought them to the heights of a CL and PL win, with effectively one hand tied behind his back (at least in terms of finance vs Man City and Pep's never-ending ability to keep splashing the cash). This is after winning 2 league titles with perennial underdog, Dortmund, up against Munich in Germany, and that in turn after getting little Mainz promoted.

Fast forward 7 years - everyone (wrongly, and on the wind-up of course) saying Klopp has under-achieved.... saying his trophy count pales to Pep's, seemingly unable to bolster his Liverpool squad due to finances (FSG's austerity or book-balancing before selling the club, who knows) etc etc. It's not beyond the realms of possibility in my mind that he jacks the Liverpool job in the summer due to exhaustion and frustration.

Is it inconceivable that Klopp says "f*ck everyone, give me the Newcastle job and their unlimited cash, I'll win 6 titles on the spin just to show them how easy it actually is when you're financially doped to the eyeballs"? And that, folks, is what I fear the club could well drive Klopp towards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

While there is no guarantee JK will see out his current contract, if he were to leave, the likelihood of him rocking up at the likes of Newcastle, City or PSG is as likely as me getting one of those jobs. He has far too much about him to take the easy route and thats why to me he is a better manager / coach than Pep. There is literally zero chance Pep would ever take over a team that were in the position LFC were when JK took the job, zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I know he's getting well paid (compared to the normal person) but one lad I feel sorry for in all this boll1xing is Nat Phillips.

He has worked hard, never gets a look in if we have any 2 fit centre backs, has had a couple of moves dangled in front of him only for someone to pull up lame and be told sorry Nat, you can't move after all. It's clear that we are just trolling him at this stage, really bad form imho-either give the lad a decent chance or else let him off and build a career somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

There's definitely a possibility that Klopp could walk in the summer, it's possible he's already told the club he's going, that might explain the inactivity in the transfer market, waiting for a new manager in the summer before speading anything. I think at Dormund he had told the club he was leaving at the end of the season a good while before it became public. Klopp's earned the right to go whenever he wants to, it's just a shame things seem to have broken down so quickly, we are pretty much back to where we were before he came, except this time the club and Klopp look to have lost their way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I think if JK leaves Liverpool he'll do the same as he did with Dortmund and take a break.

When the time is right he'll then go for the national team job.

I agree with what you're saying, to a point, but Klopp's been treated poorly, imo, by the owners and everyone outside the club in general. He's always worked outside the massive clubs as he loves a close relationship with the fans, but years of constant mocking of his trophy haul (which, in isolation, is actually really good) in comparison with the likes of Pep, Ferguson etc, may well drive him towards a Newcastle... they may now be an oil club but they also have what the likes of City and PSG don't have; a massive and rabid fanbase. They would absolutely love him up there.

If only he had pace. It's the only thing really which holds him back from being a top-tier CB. He seems to have what the likes of Joe Gomez doesn't have, which is a footballing brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,399 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Could see him at Real before he retires so he can have a shot at La Liga as well.

I think all the uncertainty behind the scenes all points towards Klopp walking away in the summer. There is clearly something going on in the background and I think that is what's going to happen. Combined with FSG looking like they have absolute zero will or fight to build again, they will probably hope they can sell by time next season rolls around. I can't think of any other reason why there is such inactivity to solve things as they are now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Enzo Fernandez off to Chelsea, they'll do anything needed to get it done. I think Liverpool are watching everyone spend huge amounts, but are waiting themselves to spend big on Jude

• Advertisement

Just looking at wiki... Newcastle haven't won the league in nearly 100 years! They have a huge fanbase - do you think Klopp would 100% discount being an absolute legend up there by giving them their league title? Especially knowing that whatever he asks for, he will get? Yes, I know he's never been at a club like that before, but maybe he's getting sick of the jibes of his perceived lack of trophies. He's massively under-rated as a coach and I think he's tiring of it.

N’Golo Kante on a free in summer, our new Milner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

Well this is a depressing transfer deadline day from a Liverpool point of view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

He's not leaving, unless he is leaving his wife also ☺️

Honestly, just can't see it. Would be totally out of character from him. I'm not sure he cares as much as you think he does about random internet trolls claiming he's underperformed. His record speaks for itself. I just don't think that sort of thinking drives his decision making.

• Advertisement

I hope Klopp doesn't leave - he's our no. 1 asset. I just fear that he's not appreciated enough by the football world in general (not necessarily Liverpool fans). When we're another 30 years without a title we'll look back on these years and what he's done for us....

To be honest I think if Klopp is to leave this summer he will be taking another break and there is absolutely nothing to suggest that Newcastle will be looking to get rid of Eddie anytime soon. He's doing a fantastic job there...I think the German national team will be Klopps next role.

Hope you're right but it goes beyond just internet trolls. Yes, it's only Richard Keys, but I saw Jason McAteer last week on Bein nearly get into a fight with him because he said Klopp hadn't won enough. Most successful sportsmen look at their medals haul, ultimately. Why wouldn't Klopp decide to prove them wrong? I wouldn't begrudge him. He's under-appreciated, imo. Not by all, granted, but by enough.

• Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Arsenal Jorginho signing is bugging me. Would walk into our midfield.

I suppose moving from Chelsea to Arsenal would be more convenient for the player himself, but still.

Howe's doing a fantastic job, but there's a whiff of Mark Hughes at City back in the day - if Klopp became available, Howe is sacked no question.

Liverpool have reached an agreement with Borussia Dortmund regarding the purchase of Jude Bellingham. They've agreed that it's never going to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's the sabitzer one for me, he'd be perfect for us on loan.

Chelsea spent in the last few weeks 700 m

Klopp spent in 8 years 661m

FSG are taking the piss out of Klopp at this stage.

Why change your whole outlook on life to 'prove wrong' those who you have no respect for anyway? Anyone who makes a life choice based on what Richard Keys has said is making a bad decision.

I know what you're getting at, but tbh he seems a more level headed fella than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Very good to hear, at last

Call me a cynic though, but releasing that statement on transfer deadline day seems a bit like trying to ensure it's said but doesn't get too much coverage

I get what you're saying, but Klopp isn't infallible, he's human. It's pretty obvious he despises the likes of City and their rent-a-crowd approach, but Newcastle, to be fair to their support, are an impressive "what if?" club. It could be an attractive job considering their sizeable support and sizeable backing.

All truth being told, Klopp is very loyal and would stay at LFC if he thought he was being treated with full respect there. My take on it is that he's not happy. I could be wrong, of course, but I'm for the first time in years thinking that we could now lose the best manager of his generation. That wouldn't be Klopp's fault. It would be FSG's fault. We would feel the pain for a generation....

tbh I think he'd lose a lot more respect by taking the Saudi millions than he'd gain by winning things at an oil-state funded club.

I agree that we could see things go wrong at Liverpool - but whatever he does next, I really don't see him agreeing to be employed by a mass murdering genocidal homophobic misogynistic regime. The fella's just such an outspokenly moral leftie, who has been so forthright with how wrong he views all of the above, so I could just never see it happening.

Fair point.

Look, it just sickens me that a manager who gets 3 x 90+ point seasons is dismissed as a 1-season wonder in England. Zero f*cks given that corruptible money, enough to make Juventus blush, freely flows throughout the PL unchecked.

The media have a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

The women's team have signed someone on loan from Fulham so it's not all doom and gloom....amirite??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Can she play in midfield? Probably do better than the current lot tbf

I think the vast majority of people with a bit of common sense and intelligence view him as one of the absolute best. He's only dismissed by a few morons (like Richard Keys) who would be going out of their way to dismiss him regardless what he did simply because he was Liverpool manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Ya know what... Fvck what Chelsea are doing!

There are problems at Liverpool no doubt, we need strengthening and there are issues both on the field and off it, buy I've no desire to follow a club that is an oligarch's plaything or a vehicle for whatever is happening at the minute, which I'm sure is a lot more than what meets the eye and will eventually come out in the wash.

Does nothing for me personally, for all Liverpool's problems ill follow them happily and take the wins as we earn them and get them. Chelsea were a bankrupt basket before and are well on the way back there again, they are not a model to run a club on.

I agree with all that. But the anti-Klopp narrative of the British media is enormous. I've been following LFC for 35 years and can honestly say I hold Jurgen Klopp in higher regard than any who has gone before. I am sad for him with the way he has been treated. Simple as that. If he decides to walk, so be it. Will not blame him. I will blame the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,965 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Genuinely unfathomable spending from Chelsea, and this doesn't even include the additional ~€60m committed for Christopher Nkunku in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,689 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

^^^^^^^^

Those figures are the definition of a bubble , no ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Listening to Redmen TV and they had the same opinion to me we should of sold a player to keep the squad fresh, thats our model we are good at selling players. There was a point you could of got 200m for Mo or 100m for Mane, 50m for Firmino. Gomez when he fell out of favour should of been sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

pain in my hoop with FSG penny pinching

at this stage id take anybody as long as they put the funds up

either that or we will be left behind

Window has come and gone, and no serious talk of Jude, no Chelsea raid, or City, or United, or Newcastle, or PSG, or Madrid, or Bayern, or Juve.

I think they've all made unofficial contact, and they've all been told the same thing, mind is made up, he's Liverpool bound in the summer, it's why we've not spent money, it's why Klopp is calm, I think the deal is done with the player, and we'll pay the price which will be 100m plus, but we'll sell some players to half that cost

Jude wants to come home, he left his home town to go to Dortmund at what? 16? Liverpool is a stone throw from where he was born, he's coming home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,965 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Is your favourite team being good at football really that important?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't think spending more money is an opinion unique to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

There has got to be something happening behind the scenes, whether new owners or a large transfer fund being made available and as you say Bellingham is on board.

If that is the case you would like to have the transfer sorted as soon as the season is over and any other potential signings sorted too. If it gets to mid-July say and we haven't brought new players in I'd be very concerned with how the club is operating. I'm in agreement that a minimum of 2/3 top class midfielders are required.

• Advertisement
Advertisement