Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

van den Burg has also being playing right back for Preston and had a really good loan there so sending him back for another season on loan I wonder do the club see him playing there in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Fitz* wrote: »
    That would be interesting now. TBH I haven't seen him play a whole lot apart from the CL ties, but he struck me more of a defensive full back. I would guess that the club would prefer to have an attacking RB, to tie-in with the current ethos of the first team. Much like what they did with Tsimikas coming in last summer - an attacking full back. But having a more defensive RB would give another option, especially in tougher games where sides may double up on Trent in a bid to try and expose the gaps behind him.

This potential sale does seem to be growing legs though. Perhaps someone like a Southampton or a Palace will look to take the chance on him. I would have said Wolves but they went big at RWB last summer.

https://twitter.com/dmlynch/status/1406945637476835329

It's a real pity about Hoever, would be the ideal solution as cover at FB, but also potential at CB too. Hope we have a buyback clause.

Always thought it was an odd move, he wants to play FB but I wonder did he know Semedo would also be signed. He'd have got games with us.

van den Burg has also being playing right back for Preston and had a really good loan there so sending him back for another season on loan I wonder do the club see him playing there in the future.

I think the Preston manager has indicated he will be playing centrally this season with full pre season behind him, or at least on ride hand side of a three.

Very satisfying to see some of the younger players thrive with a high-ish level loan move to play senior football. It's what the loan market should be all about.

Likewise I expect Elliot to go out again, and please god Kelleher gets a championship move to develop, even for his value from Liverpool's perspective.

Thought we missed a trick the year Huddersfield came up to give them Danny Ward again, had a great season with them in championship and we didn't let them have him for their season in top flight. Although we got a good fee for him in end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Would Gomez not be able to cover right back sure? He's played there in the past before TAA made his breakthrough.
    We now have 5 centre backs to choose from...Gomez would be well able to fill in at RB I would have thought.

I wonder is Klopp thinking 3 at the back.

Sell Neco Williams and Tsimikas (who is actually an excellent player) and bring in Hysaj (27, available on a bosman) althought he currently linked with Lazio. Pay him a decent wage and he will cover both right and left back.

More defensively minded yes, but there will be some games where we need to keep it tight, he could slot in for TAA or Robbo seamlessly and covering both sides will ensure he gets a good amount of games.

Selling Williams/Tsimikas and playing Gomez/Milner as a full back is a backward step.

I'd gladly accept 10-15million for Neco Williams though, he is another Brad Smith without the pace. He will be a squad player for a mid/lower table EPL team in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Alisson
    Trent - VVD - Robbo
    Salah - Fabinho--Henderson--Mane
    Thiago
    Firmino----Jota

Let the madness commence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Thats a very Tobyesque lineup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Gbear wrote: »

Alisson
    Trent - VVD - Robbo
    Thiago
    Firmino----Jota

Alisson
    Trent - VVD - Robbo
    Thiago
    Kane----Jota

?

Alisson
    Trent - VVD - Robbo
    Thiago
    Firmino----Jota

Madness

I'd say our squad will look something like this next season

Keepers

Alisson
    Kelleher
    Adrian

Defenders

TAA
    Milner
    Robertson
    Tsimikas
    VVD
    Gomez
    Konate
    Matip
    Davies

Midfield

Henderson
    Fabinho
    Thiago
    Jones
    Keita
    Ox
    Neuhaus

Attackers
    Salah
    Mane
    Firmino
    Jota
    Raphina (or someone else :D )

Alisson

TAA
    Gomez
    VVD---Robertson

----Henderson--Fabinho---Thiago

Salah
    Jota----Mane

Expect Konate to have a bedding in period, with view to partnering VVD in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Conor Bradley is the young RB name doing the rounds as having impressed Klopp and the rest of the staff to cover for TAA. Gomez to cover too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Alisson
    Trent - VVD - Robbo
    Thiago
    Firmino----Jota

Alright Toby ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Unlikely ;)

https://twitter.com/iMiaSanMia/status/1406716724334927876?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gini is a goal machine for the Dutch. Two more today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    Madness

I'd say our squad will look something like this next season

Keepers

Alisson
    Kelleher
    Adrian

Defenders

TAA
    Milner
    Robertson
    Tsimikas
    VVD
    Gomez
    Konate
    Matip
    Davies

Midfield

Henderson
    Fabinho
    Thiago
    Jones
    Keita
    Ox
    Neuhaus

Attackers
    Salah
    Mane
    Firmino
    Jota
    Raphina (or someone else :D )

Alisson

TAA
    Gomez
    VVD---Robertson

----Henderson--Fabinho---Thiago

Salah
    Jota----Mane

Expect Konate to have a bedding in period, with view to partnering VVD in time.

Would think Philips will be kept around for at least the first half of the season, of the defenders listed, 3 are returning from long injury layoffs, 3 more have either hardly played( Tmisikas) or haven't played yet (Konate and Davies), so question marks over all of them, even TAA is currently injuried and Milner basically provides cover for everyone and everywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Gini is a goal machine for the Dutch. Two more today.

Gini plays a very different role for the Dutch and plays it wonderfully. It's another reason to love his commitment to our cause that he played a deeper role week in, week out for us without once complaining. Absolutely love him.

Salah signed 4 years ago today for £36.5m rising to £43m.

203 games
    125 goals
    43 assists
    2 Golden Boots
    1 Premier League
    1 Champions League
    1 Super Cup
    1 Club World Cup
    1 PFA Player of the year
    1 PL Player of the Year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Salah signed 4 years ago today for £36.5m rising to £43m.

203 games
    105 goals
    43 assists
    2 Golden Boots
    1 Premier League
    1 Champions League
    1 Super Cup
    1 Club World Cup
    1 PFA Player of the year
    1 PL Player of the Year.

He has 125 goals in all competitions.

One of the greatest Liverpool players ever, in terms of talent and achievements. Only Gerrard and Dalglish are in the same company as him, in my opinion. He's already surpassed Suarez.

And he's still underrated by many. The numbers he's putting up are utterly insane for a winger in the Premier League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

martyos121 wrote: »
    One of the greatest Liverpool players ever, in terms of talent and achievements. Only Gerrard and Dalglish are in the same company as him, in my opinion. He's already surpassed Suarez.

And he's still underrated by many. The numbers he's putting up are utterly insane for a winger in the Premier League.

Totally agree with you, definitely surpassed Suarez for me also, I adore Mo, hope he stays with us for many more years, he will always be remembered forever, what an absolute baller of a player....

Not sure why so many don't rate him, he has been consistently on it since day one....

People seem to forget he is a winger also....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

lads he is not a winger. We are set up to give him as many chances as possible. Look at Bobby, how much he is loved (last season aside) because of the work that he does to enable salah and mane to thrive

Agreed on everything else, he has been a phenomenal signing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Still think Suarez was better.

He wasn't here as long a d didn't get any major trophies but what he did he did without players like Allison, Trent, Robbo, Gini, Mane etc.

Splitting hairs tho.

Suarez is a better player, easily. Just imagine the damage he could have done in a Klopp team. Imagine a front line of Mane- Suarez-- Salah for instance, with Gerrard on the right of a 3 man midfield.

Suarez would have scored 40 goals every season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I see the echo reporting we have no interest any forwards now or in the coming future ,
    Takki & Elliot to be valued members of the first team squad and we won't sell Shaq, Origi or Wilson unless the push for transfers,

I don't believe a word of it sounds like we are just keeping our cards close to our chest ,

I still can't believe Origi is still at the club , Surely the lad wants to move he's 26 now time to go play regular football ,

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Still think Suarez was better.

He wasn't here as long a d didn't get any major trophies but what he did he did without players like Allison, Trent, Robbo, Gini, Mane etc.

Splitting hairs tho.

Agree, overall Suarez is the better player, an absolute phenomenal player, almost single handedly won the league, but, not with us long enough, Mo deserves to be placed higher for Liverpool as he has surpassed what Suarez did for us, would have loved to see them play together

Suarez is a better player, easily. Just imagine the damage he could have done in a Klopp team. Imagine a front line of Mane- Suarez-- Salah for instance, with Gerrard on the right of a 3 man midfield.

Suarez would have scored 40 goals every season.

suarez would thrive in pretty much any team

salahs numbers would not have been as good over 3 seasons I think, that said his first season it felt like every chance he had he scored.

Interesting Question which trio would score more

Mane Suarez Salah

OR

Suarez Bobby Salah

second one for me

Suarez is probably the 3rd best players in the world over the last decade,

2nd most assist in the history of the game which is mental ,

willabur wrote: »
    suarez would thrive in pretty much any team

salahs numbers would not have been as good over 3 seasons I think, that said his first season it felt like every chance he had he scored.

Interesting Question which trio would score more

Mane Suarez Salah

OR

Suarez Bobby Salah

second one for me

1st Suarez can do everything Bobby does but better ,

I wonder what impact having a Japanese player played in this.

New signing.
    Liverpool FC has welcomed a new global partner, Kodansha, to the club as its official publication partner.

The multi-year deal with one of the world’s largest publishers will see the club and Kodansha work together to inspire young fans to harness their creativity and follow their dreams of achieving careers in the creative industry.

Reaching readers across 40 countries, Kodansha publishes a wide range of products, including TV and anime, magazines, picture books and novels, and official merchandise. It is also a publisher of the popular comic and graphic novel series manga, which originated in Japan and was developed in the late 19th century. Manga has become extremely well loved by audiences of all ages all over the world, with titles such as Attack on Titan, Akira and Sailor Moon some of the best-known examples.

Focusing on community outreach and the belief that ‘stories can inspire and change people’s lives’, Japan-based Kodansha is teaming up with the club’s official charity, LFC Foundation, to launch ‘Creative Works’.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/436619-reds-get-creative-with-new-publishing-partner

• Advertisement

Looks like Nat Phillips is attracting interest and is valued at £12million by the club. Leeds, Burnley, Southampton and Newcastle all interested apparently.

Neco Williams also expected to move on for £10million.

Have a feeling its going to be difficult to move on the likes of Shaqiri, Origi and Grujic.

The money still seems to be in England, i'd expect we will also find a taker for Harry Wilson too, but continental clubs will find it hard to raise the funds to look beyond loan deals this summer i'd imagine.

We still seem to be trying to recoup everything we spend by flogging perceived dead weight, seems to be more important to us than any other the rest of the top 6 clubs.

I'm not a fan of Neco Williams as a player at all but selling him and leaving Joe Gomez/James Milner as TAA's cover is a stupid move, we should be putting together a squad where each player has a proper challenge for a starting position. Signing cover for TAA is tricky yes, but we probably should be signing an experienced player who can step in when needed without there being such a huge drop off in quality. Even a more defensively minded RB just to have that option in the squad if we need it.

Looks like Phillips will be happy enough to move on himself.
    Phillips: “Every player wants to be playing games. At the stage I’m at, I need to be playing games for my development."

https://twitter.com/neiljonesgoal/status/1407300334326800385?s=20

Nat really should leave, his stock will probably never be this high again and he could secure a decent contract at a club where he'll be starting week in, week out.

He should look at Origi as a warning. He could've left on a free in 2019 off the back of his Champions League heroics and got himself a tidy signing on fee somewhere, but he signed a new deal with Liverpool and mostly sat on the bench since, and his next contract will be on poorer terms.

We all love Nat after the season he's had for us and it'd be great to see him stay, push on and win trophies with the club, but the smart thing for him to do right now is to leave, especially after Konate joined us.

Ideally, we'd keep him until January at least while VVD, Gomez and Matip recover and get back to full match fitness.

Worst comes to worst Fab can play at right back :)

martyos121 wrote: »
    Nat really should leave, his stock will probably never be this high again and he could secure a decent contract at a club where he'll be starting week in, week out.

He should look at Origi as a warning. He could've left on a free in 2019 off the back of his Champions League heroics and got himself a tidy signing on fee somewhere, but he signed a new deal with Liverpool and mostly sat on the bench since, and his next contract will be on poorer terms.

We all love Nat after the season he's had for us and it'd be great to see him stay, push on and win trophies with the club, but the smart thing for him to do right now is to leave, especially after Konate joined us.

Ideally, we'd keep him until January at least while VVD, Gomez and Matip recover and get back to full match fitness.

Difference with Origi is he got that big deal with Liverpool (circa 70/80k per week, 5 year deal) after we won the champions league. Phillips will never get the 50k he will prob get elsewhere now.

Thats why Origi will be hard to shift

Isn't Phillips on a massive contract already? not sure I believe it but the numbers are that he is on 60k per week already which is simply unbelievable

Isn't Phillips on a massive contract already? not sure I believe it but the numbers are that he is on 60k per week already which is simply unbelievable

No chance

Robbo is on 50k a week so...I doubt Phillips is on more than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Not a hope Phillips is on that kind of money. Gini was on 70k as a comparison....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be honest it’s more likely he’s on 6k a week, and the lads entering added a zero by accident!

All going well they should get guts of a £100m from from the 10 players up for sale if they get the 12 to 15 million they are looking for the majority of them.

Karius, Williams, Phillips, Grujic, Wilson, Ojo, Woodburn, Shaq, Origi & Awoniyi.

Minamino might go as well.

James Pearce doing a fluff piece on Neuhaus yesterday seems to put merit in the stories that the club are in for him.

So then that leaves a forward to sign as well.

All going well they should get guts of a £100m from from the 10 players up for sale if they get the 12 to 15 million they are looking for the majority of them.

Karius, Williams, Phillips, Grujic, Wilson, Ojo, Woodburn, Shaq, Origi & Awoniyi.

Minamino might go as well.

James Pearce doing a fluff piece on Neuhaus yesterday seems to put merit in the stories that the club are in for him.

So then that leaves a forward to sign as well.

Karius 3m
    Neco Williams 10m
    Phillips 12m
    Grujic 12m
    Wilson 12m
    Ojo 3m
    Woodburn 2m
    Shaqiri 15m
    Origi 15-20m
    Awoniyi 8m

Highly doubtful we will shift all that lot though. Will need to be mostly clubs in England as most clubs on the continent are skint.

Karius 3m
    Neco Williams 10m
    Phillips 12m
    Grujic 12m
    Wilson 12m
    Ojo 3m
    Woodburn 2m
    Shaqiri 15m
    Origi 15-20m
    Awoniyi 8m

Highly doubtful we will shift all that lot though. Will need to be mostly clubs in England as most clubs on the continent are skint.

Ya I see the problem would be shifting all them alright. Although id be inclined to hold onto a player like Phillips, he could deffo be used in rotation. Against some of the lesser teams he could be ideal as a lot of them still play with a big target player up top which suits Phillips game down to a tee...Also factor in he will be most likely lining out with an experience player beside him and not having rookies like Kabak or Williams!

Ya I see the problem would be shifting all them alright. Although id be inclined to hold onto a player like Phillips, he could deffo be used in rotation. Against some of the lesser teams he could be ideal as a lot of them still play with a big target player up top which suits Phillips game down to a tee...Also factor in he will be most likely lining out with an experience player beside him and not having rookies like Kabak or Williams!

I think the need for us to strengthen elsewhere is greater than the need to hold onto a 5th choice CB.

VVD
    Gomez
    Konate
    Matip

We should be ok at CB, so the 12-15m we would get for Phillips is actually important to a club like Liverpool where we need to raise funds in order to spend.

Would be great alright to have the luxury of keeping a backup option like Phillips aswell as spending big on other positions but its not how we roll unfortunately.

Neco Williams is another one who will be sold in order to raise funds and probably won't be replaced either.

I think other clubs are looking at Liverpool now in terms of whether they get value for money, Edwards drives a hard bargain so we are an expensive place to shop now, which is a double edge sword. Worked a treat in getting big money for likes of Solanke, Brad Smith, Ibe, Sakho, Benteke etc... but when you look at bigger picture, none of these guys proved their value so we have a rep for selling players for over the odds.

I could see Ox playing the ultimate Milner role next season as the utility player covering right back, right wing, central midfield and the false nine if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

We need either enough cover in defence or in midfield. We don't really need both. We probably can't afford or keep both happy.

Klopp will absolutely have no qualms about sticking Fabinho in there if needs must. What we can't have happen is that midfield is depleted if that happens as well.

So he needs to either sign another CB if Phillips goes (and nobody else at the club is fancied, like Davies), or a midfielder (in addition to Neuhaus et al), so we're not left relying on Henderson, whose fitness is a bit ropey, an aging Milner, a little boy child like Curtis Jones, or crocks like Keita and AOC.

Ultimately, if you get a million injuries, you're ****ed no matter what. We can't operate on the basis that every season will be like last year. Yes, we need to take proactive measures so we're not overly reliant on players who are fundamentally unreliable, like Matip, Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain - I'd replace 2 of the 3 of them if I had a magic wand - but also, we can't plan for everything.

We need either enough cover in defence or in midfield. We don't really need both. We probably can't afford or keep both happy.

Klopp will absolutely have no qualms about sticking Fabinho in there if needs must. What we can't have happen is that midfield is depleted if that happens as well.

So he needs to either sign another CB if Phillips goes (and nobody else at the club is fancied, like Davies), or a midfielder (in addition to Neuhaus et al), so we're not left relying on Henderson, whose fitness is a bit ropey, an aging Milner, a little boy child like Curtis Jones, or crocks like Keita and AOC.

Ultimately, if you get a million injuries, you're ****ed no matter what. We can't operate on the basis that every season will be like last year. Yes, we need to take proactive measures so we're not overly reliant on players who are fundamentally unreliable, like Matip, Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain - I'd replace 2 of the 3 of them if I had a magic wand - but also, we can't plan for everything.

True we can't plan for every eventuality, but, we already know 3 of our first choice CBs are coming back from long layoffs, may not all be ready for the start of the season and we'll be very lucky if at least one of them don't have a setback and of course they will need to be managed carefully-rotated- in the first few months and of course Matip will be injured most of the time anyway. Then there's Konate who hasn't played for us before, we don't really know how he'll adapt to the EPL, he should be ok but, it's not guaranteed that he'll work out. In light of all that and considering our defensive problems last season I think it would be foolish to let Philips go before January. Personally I'd sell Davies, we should get 7-8 million for him, not much less that what we'd get for Philips, but, we know Philips can do a job for us, we don't know if Davies is up to it, plus I'd imagine Davies is on a much higher salary.

I think the need for us to strengthen elsewhere is greater than the need to hold onto a 5th choice CB.

VVD
    Gomez
    Konate
    Matip

We should be ok at CB, so the 12-15m we would get for Phillips is actually important to a club like Liverpool where we need to raise funds in order to spend.

Would be great alright to have the luxury of keeping a backup option like Phillips aswell as spending big on other positions but its not how we roll unfortunately.

Neco Williams is another one who will be sold in order to raise funds and probably won't be replaced either.

I think other clubs are looking at Liverpool now in terms of whether they get value for money, Edwards drives a hard bargain so we are an expensive place to shop now, which is a double edge sword. Worked a treat in getting big money for likes of Solanke, Brad Smith, Ibe, Sakho, Benteke etc... but when you look at bigger picture, none of these guys proved their value so we have a rep for selling players for over the odds.

I think for this season we need 5 CB's. I've no faith in Matip staying fit for more than 20+ games but crucially we have now idea what condition VVD and Gomes are going to come back in. They will definitely miss portions of the season after been laid up for almost a year. It wont't take a lot to be without Gome,VVD and Matip for periods of the season again next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I'd like to keep Phillips until the next window if possible.

At this stage we have no real idea what state VVD and Gomez will be in and if they were to suffer setbacks etc then we'd be back to relying on Matip.

Fingers crossed Konate settles in asap

Advertisement