Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Cartman78 wrote: »
    I'd like to keep Phillips until the next window if possible.

At this stage we have no real idea what state VVD and Gomez will be in and if they were to suffer setbacks etc then we'd be back to relying on Matip.

Fingers crossed Konate settles in asap

I think to do anything else would be reckless and show that the club haven't learned from the mistake they made last summer and in January regarding the CB situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I'd be very worried if they signed another centre back. 5, even if three are only coming back, is loads.

If they sign another permanent player than I'd fear someone is goosed, long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Sign grealish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There is some talk that Shalke will be forced into selling Kabak for much less than the €18m fee they agreed with Liverpool due to their financial situation.

If the club ended up signing him permanent for the roughly the same price, or even a lower price than they sell Philips for, it will prove to be a good investment long term IMO. I don't think Kabak will lose too much value in the next few years even if he doesn't make it at the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Robertson is pure class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hendo about to come on for England - pleeeeease don't break him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Hendo about to come on for England - pleeeeease don't break him!!

Cracking little pass from him there to Kane, who made a balls of it.

Without a shadow of a doubt, Hendo is England’s best midfielder by a wide margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Fitz* wrote: »
    There is some talk that Shalke will be forced into selling Kabak for much less than the €18m fee they agreed with Liverpool due to their financial situation.

If the club ended up signing him permanent for the roughly the same price, or even a lower price than they sell Philips for, it will prove to be a good investment long term IMO. I don't think Kabak will lose too much value in the next few years even if he doesn't make it at the club.

I doubt Kabak would come back to Liverpool, his loan spell kinda petered out at the end, it wasn't clear if he was genuinely injured or told he wasn't going to be signed permanently, got the feeling it was the latter

Girly Gal wrote: »
    I doubt Kabak would come back to Liverpool, his loan spell kinda petered out at the end, it wasn't clear if he was genuinely injured or told he wasn't going to be signed permanently, got the feeling it was the latter

I'd doubt that to be honest, no way we'd be playing Williams ahead of him if he wasn't injured with everything that was at stake. Kabak's head and shoulders better than Williams at literally every aspect of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

He was playing on one leg wasn’t he? Barely made it to 60mins in games

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Davies is a better player than Phillips this will be borne out in coming season.

Chris Bascombe is reporting that Liverpool have received an approach for Nat Phillips from Burnley. Liverpool want £10m rising to £15m.

This is behind a paywall but if you can read quick, you'll get some of it!

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/1407451877801873419?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

James Pearse saying we're after John McGinn but not at the price Villa want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

McGinn would be a great fit for our midfield, would love to see a deal worked out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Sell Big Nat? Now, maybe in the January window. To do anything else would be nuts given we don't know how VVD and Gomes are going to come back and Matip is always only fit for a few months of the season and our new man is untested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

doc_17 wrote: »
    Sell Big Nat? Now, maybe in the January window. To do anything else would be nuts given we don't know how VVD and Gomes are going to come back and Matip is always only fit for a few months of the season and our new man is untested.

He wants to move to be guaranteed first team games. Can you blame him?

We have Williams, Davies, Gomez, Matip, Konate and VVD so we should be ok. Also if we can go back in for Kabak for lower than the €18m then that's something I wouldn't be surprised seeing the club do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

martyos121 wrote: »
    McGinn would be a great fit for our midfield, would love to see a deal worked out there.

They want £50m :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

doc_17 wrote: »

I think if Nat goes we will look to bring in another young defender (18-19) with a higher ceiling than Nat
    Wouldn't make sense to let him go and have no cover after the disaster of last season ,

He's defo injured hence why he didn't play much for Turkey in the Euro's he's still not fully fit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

They want £50m :eek:

Ya McGinn's is going nowhere so we shouldn't waste our time. He's not out of contract until 2025 so Villa will just put stupid valuations on him to put potential suitors off.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

TitianGerm wrote: »
    He wants to move to be guaranteed first team games. Can you blame him?

We have Williams, Davies, Gomez, Matip, Konate and VVD so we should be ok. Also if we can go back in for Kabak for lower than the €18m then that's something I wouldn't be surprised seeing the club do.

I don't blame him if he wants to move for guaranteed first team football. But to say it's ok because we have Williams (poor player), matip (cannot stay fit), Gomez (poor injury record as well), Konate (unproven in PL) and VVD returning from a terrible injury is very dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1407607070149517312?s=20

This all seems very strange...

Sounds like a Naby style deal that Pearce is saying we definitely didn't do, is that because we can not announce under 18 player's until they turn 18 or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Great now in addition to everyone else we have 101,576,517* Egyptians who hate us.

*approximately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Knex* wrote: »

Great news. I think they were asking for too much for both Olympics and African Cup of Nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

I'd doubt that to be honest, no way we'd be playing Williams ahead of him if he wasn't injured with everything that was at stake. Kabak's head and shoulders better than Williams at literally every aspect of the game.

Except actual head and shoulders, 186cm Vs 195cm ;)

Fieldog wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1407607070149517312?s=20

This all seems very strange...

Sounds like a Naby style deal that Pearce is saying we definitely didn't do, is that because we can not announce under 18 player's until they turn 18 or something?

Yeah I'm not sure how Pearce would be privy to Sporting Lisbon transfers, when I don't think they've even publicly announced it yet themselves.

Feels very much like a cover job where there is some arrangement with Lisbon to take him for a year and Liverpool will pay an agreed fee when he is 18 and allowed to move to the UK.

Yeah I'm not sure how Pearce would be privy to Sporting Lisbon transfers, when I don't think they've even publicly announced it yet themselves.

Feels very much like a cover job where there is some arrangement with Lisbon to take him for a year and Liverpool will pay an agreed fee when he is 18 and allowed to move to the UK.

Seems this is a way to get around buying an under 18 talent in Europe, if he spends a season at Sporting and does well then great, he is a very exciting prospect from all report's, but how many of these wonder kids do we have now?

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »
    Seems this is a way to get around buying an under 18 talent in Europe, if he spends a season at Sporting and does well then great, he is a very exciting prospect from all report's, but how many of these wonder kids do we have now?

Not that many to be honest... Musialowski and maybe Kaide Gordon are about it... Balagizi at a push, but not really - he excels underage because of his size, which is going to stop meaning much at senior level.

I suppose you could add Elliott, but he's kind of stepped beyond that wonderkid thing into 'actual decent footballer' level.

If you can sustain a decent academy, even if players don't come through to the first team, it generates a lot of revenue anyway. It only takes one or two being good enough that you can sell for any sort of money every second or third year to pay for the whole program.

What about the kid that came from Celta Vigo(?) around Christmas time. A young defender was meant to move to Man Utd but Liverpool won the race very late. The transfer was half-rushed as to beat the Jan 1st deadline.

What about the kid that came from Celta Vigo(?) around Christmas time. A young defender was meant to move to Man Utd but Liverpool won the race very late. The transfer was half-rushed as to beat the Jan 1st deadline.

I just can't think of a centre half as a wonderkid :p

Signed a couple of goalkeeping wonder kids as well ;)

Wonder kids ....because you wonder where they are gone in 5 years time ,

Honestly maybe iv a mind blank but i can't ever recall one team singing a wonder kid that actually worked out ,
    Ye plenty off young lads who go straight the first team but wonder kids who go into the youths always disappear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Not sure we will see anything form him for a while, think he was like 15 when he signed so he would have been lucky to be even making the u18's last season.

• Advertisement

Wonder kids ....because you wonder where they are gone in 5 years time ,

Honestly maybe iv a mind blank but i can't ever recall one team singing a wonder kid that actually worked out ,
    Ye plenty off young lads who go straight the first team but wonder kids who go into the youths always disappear

Ødegaard is I guess the standout example at the moment. Walcott, Oxlade Chamberlain, Aaron Ramsey, Raheem Sterling, and Suso were all wonderkids that big clubs brought in from smaller clubs, and got good careers. Lots more I'm sure, but those are the ones that come to mind first.

Ødegaard is I guess the standout example at the moment. Walcott, Oxlade Chamberlain, Aaron Ramsey, Raheem Sterling, and Suso were all wonderkids that big clubs brought in from smaller clubs, and got good careers. Lots more I'm sure, but those are the ones that come to mind first.

Currently in England the team alone Foden & Sancho and maybe the best of the all and still only 17 Bellingham proving his stuff and the top level.

Sterling probably the best example of a wonder kid there for me
    Odegaard has what 8 appearances for the club that bought hims as a Wonder kid

Walcott ,OX ,Ramsey where brought straight into the first team so for me more good young players than wonder kids but i suppose that is a debatable as what is a "wonder Kid "

Suso is not for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

So Mbappe is looking to leave PSG this summer.

How the hell are Madrid being mentioned as capable of signing him, who the hell is funding them? £900million debts

But flogging Varane allows them pay 100million+ on top of huge wages. Makes no sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Neymar the obvious wonderkid who followed it up

• Advertisement

Mbappe was a wonder kid scored his first senior goal at 17 and still only 22.

Ronnie.

Michael Owen the Liverpool wonder kid.

Loads of them out there really they may not have turned in to Messi or Ronnie however they have turned in to really top pros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Rooney is probably one of the biggest ones that comes to mind, really.

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    So Mbappe is looking to leave PSG this summer.

How the hell are Madrid being mentioned as capable of signing him, who the hell is funding them? £900million debts

But flogging Varane allows them pay 100million+ on top of huge wages. Makes no sense

https://twitter.com/Akzyy/status/1407645539055902723?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I suppose you could add Elliott, but he's kind of stepped beyond that wonderkid thing into 'actual decent footballer' level.

Elliot still in wonderkid category for me. He has so many challenges ahead over the next few years to prove himself. He's in a really tough situation. Even if he becomes a solid pro, or better yet, equal to shaqiri he'll be considered a failure. He's on the toughest path.

Even compared to Curtis Jones for example. Curtis has given some great highlights and if he turns into an 8 goals a season player we'll all be delighted. But if the attacking magic isn't sustainable and he becomes a solid midfielder for us then we'll all still love him.

If Elliot follows fodens path then he gets 5-10 appearances next season for us, or more for someone else. That's done so he doesn't get injured, exhausted or feel the pressure of the first team. If any of those hit then he's still at an age where his career may not happen.

For me, Elliot, like Jones is currently experiencing, gets a 2-3 season free pass. I don't count on him to get is results at any stage.

That is an incredible stat, I really hope he doesn't burn himself out, he needs a nice long rest now away from football for a while and come back refreshed...

I want him to stay with us for his career as it stands...

Hopefully France win by 4 clear goals and Jota gets to go on holiday tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Knex* wrote: »
    Rooney is probably one of the biggest ones that comes to mind, really.

He had some career and a bag load of medals but like many of the other wonder kids who were first teamers as a teen, he fizzled out early. He was back at Everton at about 31, then over to the states and ended up in the championship.
    Owen and Fowler were similar but more down to injuries.
    Zlatan was a bit of a wonder kid and still had a good level in his early to mid, even his late 30s. He scored 15 serie A goals last season in only 19 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Hopefully France win by 4 clear goals and Jota gets to go on holiday tomorrow.

5 minutes ago they were going out and England were playing Hungary next. All change now with another Portuguese penalty and a German equaliser.

Edit: Yikes Hungary lead again, a France goal would send Portugal out.

Brazil won 2-1 in the Copa last night.

Bobby came on at half time and scored Brazil's first.

Ali and Fab unused subs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement