Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Man City and PSG have been state owned for a decade now and we've seen more UCL Finals in that time than the two of them combined, it's winning in the face of these giants that makes it all the better.

Great news.

Anfield Road opening for next season, and hopefully there's decent money for signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,116 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

If this investment can be used to write off the infrastructure loan that has to be repaid to FSG, that would be a weight off of the shoulders of the club and this money could be used for player recruitment instead. The Anfield Road redevelopment is costing ~£80m alone.

If that loan could be struck off, and with the increased revenue, this would be a big help in terms of cash available to spend on recruitment. It's the club's money after all, so still fitting with the model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

_______Alisson_______

Trent_Matip_VVD_Robertson

____Hender__Milner___

Salah__Firmino__Nunez

_______Jota______

Kill em that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

You know what I mean. FSG don't put in their own cash but they still have to green light the budget. And are they going to green light a Summer transfer budget of 200M+? Because that's what Bellingham plus a couple of others will cost if that's the plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

For once I really like the look of one of your mad teams.

I think we are going to get exposed no matter what we do.

Still though, my risk averse personality won't allow a two man midfield with Milner.

The thought of being three down at halftime is devestating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

We won't be spending 200m this summer and we won't be in the race for Bellingham. A lot of the Bellingham links to us are just nonsense click bait media articles. He will be getting 400k plus wage offers on the table and the interested parties so far are City, Madrid and PSG. If UTD gets sold before the summer I can see them making big moves towards him....we ain't competiting with any of those! We will be looking for some bargains to sort out our midfield problems and the most frustrating aspect of that is, we actually had 2 relative bargain players in the pipe line last summer in Enzo Fernandez and Nunes. But for whatever reason we decided to hold off on both until this summer. Nunes practically put out a come and get me call once he heard we were interested only for us to pull out and he signed for Wolves the following week. €40m was the supposed offer on the table to! We had spent the last 2 summer skirting around Fernandez and didn't push on with it...

I always see it as a 5 man midfield, I think Pep does too . As long as they're all working like hell, which is what Pep expects, all tracking , all doing what is expected off the ball, and if they don't do it they're simply not making the team, or bench, it's simply not tolerated. Of course with the ball they're all comfortable and it's beneficial to have so many goals scorers on the pitch, when it works the two sitters have less to do, smaller area to police

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't think FSG green light anything, they seem to be very hands off.

The impression I get is that it the club management team (Billy Hogan now along with the rest of the top level guys employed by the club) set the budgets and then the transfer committee and first team management group (Klopp etc) identify and try sign players within the scope of those budgets.

Where will they get the money? Well apparently the club have very little outstanding transfer fees now on the books outside of Jota (his fee could actually be paid now), Diaz, Nunez, Konate and Gakpo.

Given that Kieta, Ox and possibly a few more are leaving that will also free up a substantial amount of wages.

Also the Nike deal is now starting to pay dividends and a run to the CL final last year will all mean there should be funds available this summer. How much? That's anyone's guess.

• Advertisement

I had created this on the assumption that the transfer fees would be paid in equal installments over the course of the contract length. As you mentioned, there's not much remaining transfer fees to be paid. Konate was an exception as it was a release clause so it was paid upfront.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There is definitely scope there to green light a 200m plus spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,844 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

200m isn't enough , We'd get Bellingham plus 1,

We need 3 midfielders alone

If we signed Bajectic for ~€20m from Real Socidead in the summer, would you be happy?

FWIW, I also think that we need to sign 2+ midfielders, but Bellingham is going to be a star and might just solve a lot of problems. I'm willing to chance that Bellingham + another energetic midfielder in front of one of Thiago/Hendo/Fabinho might be worth one season. They all have different skillsets they can bring to the fore when we are not relying on them for legs now. Not relying on them for energy would help concentrate the strong points to their game at this current time, instead of trying to be the player they were 2, 3 or 4 years ago.

I was of the thinking that 3 would be needed, but Bajectic is kind of making me re-think that.

Bajectic / Fabinho / Hendo / Thiago / Elliott / Jones / Bellingham / an other could possibly be enough, provided the an other is a strong midfielder too. Possibly of the Caicedo mold or a Bellingham-lite. Especially as we would not be relying on all 3 of Hendo / Fabinho / Thiago for fitness and form at the same time. The summer after a decision would definitely have to be made on Jones. I think he gets a stay of execution this summer because he adds to the HG list.

Attack is pretty covered, but I would be looking into a CB maybe. Gavardiol wants to move to the PL, and used to support Liverpool as a kid. Wishful thinking perhaps but him & Konate would be a brilliant long term pair to have. Add in VVD and you are well stocked there, with Gomez for back up. Gomez just might suit that 4th choice long term now. Come in for his odd game.

We have Milner , Naby , OX, Firmino all looking like leaving ,

Then in the squad you have Matip , Konate , Thaigo , Hendo , Ramsey , Jota , who are all injury prone ,

Then Fab only god knows if he is ever going back to the old player he was,

Then guys like Gomez, Elliot, Jones , are they good enough ?

With the Gk's will Adrian & Kelleher leave ?

There is a whole lot of uncertainty around so many players & we simply can not replace them all in one or even two windows ,

you were trying to sell them all a few weeks ago!!

And now it's 'we cannot replace them all in one or two windows'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Really good article from Swiss Ramble:

Liverpool’s revenue has more than tripled from £185m in 2010 to £594m in 2022. All clubs have seen revenue increase, but this is not just a case of a rising tide floating all boats (as Warren Buffet once said), as Liverpool have significantly outperformed all other English clubs – with the exception of Manchester City (and Scousers will question the veracity of the reported figures).

Who id like to replace /sell & who we are capable of selling /replacing is completely different ,

With no full sale there is no chance of selling them all ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Start of April is a night mare for Liverpool

Saturday 1st 12:30 away to Man City

Tuesday 4th 20:00 away to Chelsea rearranged game

Sunday 9th 16:30 home to Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

They have won 34 trophies in that time between them without a European trophy. So while its great to win one in the face of their spending, its still such an unfair playing field that they have created.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Can't see Bellingham joining, we would be way done the list in terms of wages we could offer. Not signing Fernandez in the summer when he was very affordable was very poor form by the club, his value was only going to go up with him playing in the world Cup and Argentina one of the favourites, Chelsea have definitely overpaid for him, but, he'd have been a great addition for us, on the bright side we did get Arthur 🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

And CL QF 11th or 12th 😉

Why was the Chelsea game moved? Can't remember

EDIT: oh, it was when the Queen died

Sky are hoping Madrid put Liverpool out and have scheduled the Leeds game on a Monday night before a CL game so will be waiting next month to find out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Screwing sky up will be a little added bonus when we get through 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭jones

What are we thinking tonight? Madrid are our bogey team but i've a sneaky suspicion we'll win tonight. Will it be enough to go through though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Would be great to win but if things don't go our way just keep the tie alive. Am hopeful the occasion will see the players raise their game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

A few weeks ago I was dreading this game, now it is one where I don't think there is any pressure on us and with the 2 wins hopefully we, along with the crowd go at 120mph for the first 20 minutes, the key is Nunez and I think we could surprise a few tonight, going for a 3-1 win:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

An apology there from Jake Humphrey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Strangely confident about this one. Don't think Real are playing well either and we have players at the top end that can cause them real damage.

Our defence will offer up chances though but Alisson will be key again.

I'm going for another European night to remember at Anfield and a 3-1 win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bloody hate playing Ancelotti teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Don't know why he waited for the report that stated the obvious. Was he hoping to avoid apologising and thus held out? It was clear that this wasn't the fans fault so it doesn't really mean much this late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Same here. Though I'm usually confident playing Madrid only to be disappointed the last few times.

Hopefully we get a nice quick start while the crowd is at its most vociferous and can get a goal or two then.

Real Madrid are in poor form but at the same time getting some wins. The same as ourselves. Whoever concedes first might crumple.

• Advertisement

Yea, we need to make the first 25 minutes count, then we'll be all out of steam, we got to put em away early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I understand the lads being confident of a victory, but putting a wreath down for the Real Madrid fans is a serious power move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,730 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

C'MON !!!

Goalllllllllllll

NUNEZ !!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Boom

• Administrators Posts: 54,123 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Holy crap what a finish Nunez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

You just kind of felt that Nunez would score the goals when it really counts. 😁

wHAT A GOAL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Holy Sh1t Nunez 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Andy Carroll opens the scoring 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

One of the goals of the season that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Haha Ged Nash ya ballbag ya....