Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

so, Renato Sanches...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

SlickRic wrote:
    so, Renato Sanches...

Is he being linked? Like John McGinn, he may not be the absolute best midfielder that money can buy, but another superb fit for our system. And he'd be a lot cheaper than the Scot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

SlickRic wrote: »
    so, Renato Sanches...

I liked him in the last couple of Portugal games. He's meant to have had a big season in France en route to winning the league, albeit with a few injury problems.

I think that Swansea spell could continue to be a cloud hanging over his head for many, when it shouldn't as he was only 20 at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Player plays game in euros, next day Liverpool link.

Neco out
    McGinn in
    Sanchez in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

For me Sanches is not consistent enough to be replacing Gini ,
    If he came in for Keita then yes sure but i think we need someone more consistent for Gini's spot,

McGinn for me is a good player but at his level, He's a Spurs singing or one we would have made under Rodgers ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

For me Sanches is not consistent enough to be replacing Gini ,
    If he came in for Keita then yes sure but i think we need someone more consistent for Gini's spot,

McGinn for me is a good player but at his level, He's a Spurs singing or one we would have made under Rodgers ,

I'm not sure anyone would've pegged a full back for £7m signed from a relegated team as "our level", but here we are, with a player who's the best LB in the league by a distance, and quite possibly going to captain or vice captain Liverpool for a spell.

Ultimately, I think it's fair to have opinions on what gaps need to be filled - the club has limits on how many players they can sign that our imaginations don't, but for the calibre, you can only trust the system we have in place. It's been remarkably successful. Where things have gone awry, it's been a matter of fitness issues, rather than quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1408016551639490567?s=20

Go on lad fair play!

Hope he goes on loan now for experience....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sanches was consistently the best midfielder in Ligue 1 last season and was the key to Lille winning the title and has been the best Portugal midfielder since getting back into the team.

He was linked a few months back when there looked like there might be a fire sale in the French league.

I'd say he could be gotten for a decent price and well worth an offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Fieldog wrote: »

Go on lad fair play!

Hope he goes on loan now for experience....

Doesn't look like it

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1408026809816465408?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

That would be all our goalkeepers signed up to new contracts this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Away goals rule is gone for all UEFA competitions for next year.
    Not quite sure if that's a good or a bad thing for Liverpool.

It basically means a huge increase in two legged matches going to extra time, therefore more tired players and more injuries as a result.

I've mostly been on the fence on the away goals rule, but just scrapping it completely seems really fcuking stupid to me now that it's happened.

martyos121 wrote: »
    It basically means a huge increase in two legged matches going to extra time, therefore more tired players and more injuries as a result.

I've mostly been on the fence on the away goals rule, but just scrapping it completely seems really fcuking stupid to me now that it's happened.

I think straight to penalties at the end of the second leg. After 180 minutes if it's still a draw I don't see the need for another 30 mins.

dogbert27 wrote:
    I think straight to penalties at the end of the second leg. After 180 minutes if it's still a draw I don't see the need for another 30 mins.

Is that what's going to happen or what you'd like to happen? I haven't read the article yet so I genuinely don't know.

Fully agree with that idea btw.

• Advertisement

dogbert27 wrote: »

Same, there will be loads of draws, so who wants to see another 30 mins with regularity. I can’t be the only one who has always wished to the 30 mins to end, and get on with the penalties whenever I see matches go to extra time.

BRING BACK GOLDEN GOAL

dogbert27 wrote: »

That should have always been the way,
    Going to extra time means the home team get an extra 30 minutes of playing at home ,

Going to be so much more of 11 men behind the ball now by away teams

• Advertisement

That should have always been the way, Going to extra time means the home team get an extra 30 minutes of playing at home ,

It also means an extra 30 minutes for the away team to score an away goal, which essentially counts as double in ET.

The advantage 100% lies with the away team in extra time, so thats at least one way it's fairer now.

Is that what's going to happen or what you'd like to happen? I haven't read the article yet so I genuinely don't know.

Fully agree with that idea btw.

Sorry, that's what I think should happen instead of another 30 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Sky Sports Germany reporting that the club are about to open talks with PSV for Malen.

£27m is the price being quoted.

Sky Sports Germany reporting that the club are about to open talks with PSV for Malen.

I can't recall but last season for Jota did Sky report "Talks" or was he just announced out of no where ?

Much prefer them kind of signings

This was rumoured earlier, didn't pay any heed, be a great signing if we can get him over the line...

Again, maybe it's just the Euro's making him look good but he has looked decent from what I have seen from him...

This was rumoured earlier, didn't pay any heed, be a great signing if we can get him over the line...

Again, maybe it's just the Euro's making him look good but he has looked decent from what I have seen from him...

I can't remember which podcast I was listening to last week as there are so many out daily now but they were saying Liverpool have been watching him since youth football. So I don't think this is a Euro's thing.

It could be the case to move for him now before BVB go for him as Sancho's replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,285 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Sanches was consistently the best midfielder in Ligue 1 last season and was the key to Lille winning the title and has been the best Portugal midfielder since getting back into the team.

He was linked a few months back when there looked like there might be a fire sale in the French league.

I'd say he could be gotten for a decent price and well worth an offer.

Sanches would be a great replacement if we could get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Given who his agent is, its a pass for me. Absolute cancer of the game

Konate will be wearing the number 5 next season going by his social media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

I read he's already fluent in English, a big plus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Kinda sad to see Gini's shirt filled so soon.

rob316 wrote: »
    Given who his agent is, its a pass for me. Absolute cancer of the game

Oh no, is it Raiola?

No thank you if that's the case....

Was our last dealings with him Balotelli?

*Shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It also means an extra 30 minutes for the away team to score an away goal, which essentially counts as double in ET.

The advantage 100% lies with the away team in extra time, so thats at least one way it's fairer now.

They should have kept the away goal rule, but, if level after 180 mins, all goals scored in extra time count the same regardless if it's for the home or away team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Liverpool do have a very good relationship with Jorge Mendes though, and one of his clients is Renato Sanches. Jota and Fabinho were 2 other transfers / clients of his.

While the likes of Riaola can have too much power with what their players do and where they move, being on their good side can have it's advantages. Man Utd were in a public war with Riaola for a while now. Did this have an affect on their failed pursuit of Haaland a couple years ago? Probably.

Liverpool do pay a higher amount of agent fees than other clubs do in the league and while they are helping to facilitate the power of agents, sometimes this can prove to be beneficial having such a strong relationship. In theory, Mendes might come to Liverpool and inform them of a certain release clause etc. How else would they find out after all.

I'm also certain that Liverpool would be tracking Sanches long before the Euros, so it won't be based on just those few games, even while he has impressed. He was linked around January time too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Would be a very Liverpool signing. A young player on the way up but who's not a big name yet but has the potential to be one in a few years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

SlickRic wrote: »
    so, Renato Sanches...
    One of the Bayern directors said that Sanches spent more time counting his money than trying to push for a place in the team. It seemed a bitchy comment to make about a young player but they had high hopes for him when he was signed after Euro 2016.

He was very young when he went there and it wasn't a good experience for him, he also looked out of his depth at Swansea while on loan there a few seasons ago and was never fully fit.

His reoccuring muscle injuries should be enough reason for the club to steer clear, it's questionable if he would be able to withstand the Liverpool fitness regime.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Wasn’t there some scepticism about his age a few years ago?

Heads up id be careful on that topic here, i got a months ban for comment while talking about that topic as I speculated over someone age ,

So what do we all think we need ?
    I think 2 midfielders & a striker ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

So what do we all think we need ?
    I think 2 midfielders & a striker ,

Play the reserves against Everton, everything else will work out

Benfica have made a first official bid for Wilson Liverpool want £12m

Brentford and West Brom also interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

Greatest what now?

At the time of his transfer to Bayern a former youth coach of his claimed that he is 5 years older than he is reported to be. He said that there had been a split between Renato's parents and his birth wasn't registered until football clubs began to show an interest in him. Because he was small for his age he could pass for being a much younger age and this made him more desirable to clubs like Benfica. There was some threat of legal action between Benfica and Porto when the claim was made but I never heard what became of it.

Heads up id be careful on that topic here, i got a months ban for comment while talking about that topic as I speculated over someone age ,
    The age of a player or a poster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,285 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Talisman wrote: »
    At the time of his transfer to Bayern a former youth coach of his claimed that he is 5 years older than he is reported to be. He said that there had been a split between Renato's parents and his birth wasn't registered until football clubs began to show an interest in him. Because he was small for his age he could pass for being a much younger age and this made him more desirable to clubs like Benfica. There was some threat of legal action between Benfica and Porto when the claim was made but I never heard what became of it.

wasnt it all cleared up when the hospital release their records verifying his actual date of birth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Have we ever seen a non-Black player accused of being older than he is?

This started with Nigerian teams (most notably) taking advantage of the poor national registration infrastructure to sneak a few older players into youth sides over the years.

But we're forever seeing the same stuff said about Black players in Europe as a result, seemingly just because they're Black, which obviously makes no sense. It's as likely for De Bruyne to have been cheating his age as Lukaku in Belgium, and the same for Bruno as for Sanches in Portugal. But still you've got lads like Guy Roux coming out with total nonsense about it, which obviously was quickly proven to be nonsense.

<edit>

The only threat of legal action was Renato Sanches suing because of the the accusation, which was immediately shown to be total rubbish. It also wasn't a Bayern former youth coach, or indeed anyone he'd ever worked with in any capacity. It was just a pundit, Guy Roux, and Bruno de Carvalho the president of Sporting Lisbon (obviously a competing club to Sanches own Benfica - no coincidence that he made this accusation in the middle of a close title fight between the two clubs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Not bad endurance and speed session for pre season. Milner is a savage

The age of a player or a poster?

An African players age , it was seen as racist ,
    Lets not derail the thread and move on just wanted to give the poster heads up to avoid a ban

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Have we ever seen a non-Black player accused of being older than he is?

This started with Nigerian teams (most notably) taking advantage of the poor national registration infrastructure to sneak a few older players into youth sides over the years.

But we're forever seeing the same stuff said about Black players in Europe as a result, seemingly just because they're Black, which obviously makes no sense. It's as likely for De Bruyne to have been cheating his age as Lukaku in Belgium, and the same for Bruno as for Sanches in Portugal. But still you've got lads like Guy Roux coming out with total nonsense about it, which obviously was quickly proven to be nonsense.

<edit>

The only threat of legal action was Renato Sanches suing because of the the accusation, which was immediately shown to be total rubbish. It also wasn't a Bayern former youth coach, or indeed anyone he'd ever worked with in any capacity. It was just a pundit, Guy Roux, and Bruno de Carvalho the president of Sporting Lisbon (obviously a competing club to Sanches own Benfica.)

Back in May this happened again Guelor Kanga of Gabon (originally from Congo) & Red Star Belgrade was put under investigation from the CAF

He declared he was born in 1990 (his passport states this) but his mother "reportedly" died in 1985

Gabon could face suspension from AFCON2022 ,

Not sure whats happened since May ,

Its also happened recent history in Indian with Mukhi

• Advertisement
Advertisement