Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

If he's the best on the pitch then we really are in the **** aren't we,he's not good enough imo anyway,he's bad at alot more things then he's good at,he was hopeless yet again today,he has one ok game every 6 or 7 games,that won't do if we want to win things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Here's the table last Friday night. It shows Liverpool 6 points off 4th place with a game in hand.

And here is the table tonight. And look, it shows Liverpool 6 points off 4th place with a game in hand.

Look at that insanity.

Liverpool still have to play Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

We're 3rd in the home table, but 11th in the away table.

It's crazy how awful we are away from home. It really shouldn't be as visible as it is, but you can really see that without the fans there holding them accountable, the team just doesn't step up in the key moments. Does VVD stop defending if that was at Anfield? I'm not sure...

That makes our win against utd pointless then when we come along and lose against bournmouth,but it's OK suddenly because we are still in the same situation we were in before we played utd,that's a crazy outlook

In case you haven't realised, the league table is an amalgamation of all games played - won, drawn or lost. It doesn't just show games against certain clubs.

As long as Liverpool match the results that Spurs get, in addition to beating Spurs in that game, and win the game in hand then Liverpool will finish ahead of Spurs in the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

Looking back over the season, so many false dawns. Starting right back at Community Shield where Nunez scored, Haaland missed a sitter and we outplayed City.

Then 3 poor games followed by the 9 nil Bournemouth game and the late, late winner to beat a cramp filled Newcastle. Hopefully our season underway after a slow start.

Then more dross before the 1 nil win over City at home which surely was going to get the season on track.

Swiftly followed by the awful Forest and Leeds results. Then got wins either side of the World Cup but absolutely blessed to beat Leicester with the 2 OG's which leads to more awful displays.

Then finally this recent good run culminating in the 7 nil United win, which I'm glad I savoured, where I thought that really was a permanent uptick in form before back to more scutter.

As someone mentioned we are so consistently inconsistent. IMO the fixture list is very favourable to us for the run in, we have Spurs at home, then Brentford, Leicester (hopefully but possibly not) and Villa who will all be on the beach, and then the Saints might already be dead and buried for the final game.

We are making it difficult for ourselves, have to hope we put another good run together before the next inevitable horror show against a "lessor" team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Catching Spurs might mean nothing with Newcastle and Brighton also in the equation for top 4

We're not in the same position as before the Udt game as we have 2 less games to win points from

If we don't get top 4, then feel free to come back and say I told you so.

Up to you to support the club to get there or be happy to sit here and give out every other week about wins being pointless and not worth it. Choice to be made.

12 games remaining. 6 home 6 away. Personally, I have every faith in the manager to guide this team to a top 4 spot. They know what they have to do to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We have 12 games left, half at home and half away, we have City & Chelsea away, plus Arsenal at home in our next few games, we then have a lot of relegation threatened/ lower half teams in the remaining fixtures, these are the fixtures we've struggled in all season. Spurs might be inconsistent and in disarray, but, they're still 6 points above us (with a game more played) shows how poor we've been this season. Newcastle and Brighton both have games in hand over us, so Spurs might not even end up as our main threat for top 4. We are so inconsistent, even in our recent run of "good form" we've dropped points against Bournemouth and Palace.

I'm not saying top 4 is out of the question, but, we are making things extremely difficult for ourselves and relying on other teams to continue to drop points, instead of taking control of our own destiny. Obviously I hope we make top 4, but, we might actually benefit from a season in the Europa League; younger players could gain experience, new signings get more integrated into the team and have a genuine chance of winning it out. We're over 2 thirds of the way through the season, our form is likely to continue along the lines of what we've seen all season, consistently inconsistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I worry 6 points behind top four could be 12-15 points by mid April and that'll be that.

What would you expect us to get from City away, Arsenal at home and Chelsea away in the next three?

I think we could beat Arsenal and get a point at Chelsea but that's it. We need six points minimum from those games to stay in the hunt and I don't think we have it in us this season.

I think we can get 4 points from those games alright.

It could also be 1 or 6! But I would say 4 is more likely and you know what it's not the worst.

The first game after the international break can be anything with travel and injuries etc. It is a 12.30 away kick off again though and they are usually painful. Let alone that it's away to Man City.

Alisson was not called up to the Brazil squad iirc, and either were Fabinho or Firmino.

I'm fairly sure that Spurs will move into 2 extra games played in that time too and they themselves have a tricky trio of games down the line of Newcastle - Man Utd - Liverpool in one week. Crucially here is that they play Man Utd on a Thursday night. We play West Ham on the Wednesday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Hand on heart I think if we get five points from City/Chelsea/Arsenal we'll get top 4.

I'll be even more confident if Fulham do United in the cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Klopp really does need to look at tailoring tactics according to the opposition, playing the same tactics against everyone doesn't necessarily work unless you are vastly superior which we haven't been this season. Not having a semblance of a plan B is poor from Klopp and really does need to be addressed; players get injured, lose form or get sent off, so there should always be a proper plan B and even a plan C for days when nothing is working.

I would love to see this change but it is never going to happen. I recently posted a link to an interview Pep Ljinders did with Michael Owen where he said that at Liverpool they coach their system to exploit the opposition and accept the risks involved. The focus is on playing our system and embracing the chaos rather than nullifying the potential threat of the opposition. They don't believe in tailoring tactics to the opposition and Ljinders gave an example of Thiago being told to stop instructing another player on how to counter something.

That finally made it clear to me why the 2020/21 season was such a monumental let down and this season has followed that same pattern.

That philosophy is fine when the team is playing well and players are in form, but, not being able to or willing to adjust to certain circumstances temporarily is a big weakness. I'm not saying we need to totally change the way we play, but, there will be times when a change of tactics might reap rewards rather than sticking to something that's not working on a given day.

I completely agree with your opinion, however it's a mute point because the football philosophy laid out by Jurgen Klopp and Pep Ljinders isn't going to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The thing is, back in 2019 and 20, we did change lot more during games, especially in attack. We'd often alter tactics and emphasis during games when faced with consistent low block defences for instance.

Do hope Nunez will help with it in time.

The ability to just fire a high ball into the box and cause mayhem but no sign of that yet.

I wonder what will happen tactics wise when Diaz is back?

I reckon we see another switch back to the 4-2-4, especially at home and in 'easier' games, with Nunez & Gakpo as a pairing upfront. Diaz & Salah out wide.

Or will it remain as a 4-3-3 with Diaz & Nunez interchanging on the left, Jota & Gakpo switching in the middle and Salah on the right?

One thing I think that was horrible yesterday around 60 or 70 mins onwards was that it was extremely narrow. Jota was on the LW but coming infield. Where Gakpo already was, and then Bobby too. Salah was coming infield from the right too. Trent had gone off and Robbo was tiring so there was no real width at all and it made it easier for Bournemouth to defend against. No natural width there. Only Diaz & Robbo really offer natural width, although Nunez does offer some too tbf. Trent used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Yesterday was awful. Really really awful. Salah should’ve been subbed before Nunez, and that’s not hindsight talking. He was dreadful. Couldn’t pass the ball at all. Bournemouth were very good for a bottom of the table team and well do ne to them. How are we even still in with a shout of 3rd/4th after so many poor performances.

By " easier" I presume you mean United at home 🤣

Massive win for Newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Trossard with three assists today...I know this is hindsight but it's annoying seeing other teams making astute signings that we would normally be all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Tbh does Newcastle and Spurs results really matter with the way our season has gone. We have been consistently inconsistent since the opening day and that is not going to change now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

The fight for 4th spot is a sh""e show ever year and this year is no different. We are playing terrible but we may and may not get still there, as it will really go down to the last week or 2. I mean look at the competition. Spurs are dreadful and it's pretty much set in stone that their manager is walking at the end of the season if he even last that long. Newcastle, before today had 1 win and scored a total of 3 premier league goals for all of 2023! Brighton is the only team playing well who is challenging but you would imagine their form will tail off for the final few weeks as it tends to do with teams like Brighton when it comes to getting over the line...

• Advertisement

I think Newcastle are probably the most likely to take 4th spot, they've had a dip in form, probably lost focus due to getting to league cup final, before that they were very consistent. They are the most likely to put a decent run together to get over the line. We are definitely capable of getting 4th, but, we can't continue to be getting results like yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Our next league game is another 12.30 kick off

This team is NOTgetting top 4,I've accepted that,I have eyes and can see week in week out what this team is producing and its absolute trash,real,arsenal,Chelsea and City we might get a draw against arsenal that's it.

It's time alot on here open their eyes and realise this season is done and we need a huge rebuild in the summer.

I understand its the hope that keeps fans going but I'm a realist,I believe what my eyes tell me

• Administrators Posts: 54,114 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Nah, this is wishful thinking. We're not in the same position.

A win against Bournemouth would have given us some buffer in the 3 games to come, but now we've thrown that buffer away.

There's always a chance until it's mathematically impossible.

In 12 of the last 20 seasons, the team that finished in fourth spot in the Premier League had 66-71 points. The mean average for the period is 69.6 or 70 points with rounding up the decimal. Is the team capable of achieving that? In theory yes but there would have to be a significant improvement in results.

Liverpool got 19 points over the first 13 games of the season. Over the course of a season that form would total 55-56 points.

In the second 13 games of the season, Liverpool picked up 23 points. Over the course of a season that form would total 67-68 points, which would put the team in a Europa League spot with a possibility of a Champions League place.

We have 42 points after 26 games on course for a 61-62 points total.

An interesting question to ask might be: How many teams have finished in the top 4 when they had 42 points after 26 games?

I haven't checked that out but I do know that in the 2020/21 season we were seventh with 43 points after 26 games and finished third with 69 points.

• Advertisement

Sweeping statements that don't really reflect the reality most hold.

Where are you getting the idea that those who think fourth is still possible don't think also think we need signings in the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Sadly my take away from that is that we're currently worse off than 20/21, hadn't realised that 😕

The bookies basically have us, Newcastle and Spurs equally likely to get fourth. At this point it would be a bit of a heist for us to get it, but I think we'll finish above Spurs. Newcastle are a bit of an unknown factor (and yes, I'm dismissing Brighton. Though I wouldn't be too disappointed to be proven wrong by them)

But we need some good results in that week after the internationals, and then to maintain good form. And it's the the latter of those two statements that seems the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

If we would have won on Saturday and be 5 points behind United in 3rd spot I would have believed the race for 3rd and 4th was on but I can see this being a struggle to get over the line.

I didn't see the game Saturday as my son had his own tournament but was it a case of the players having one eye on the Madrid game?

5 clean sheets in the league and we get done by bottom of the table Bournemouth, FFS.

• Administrators Posts: 54,114 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No it was the same story as too many games this season. We make defensive mistakes and when we concede it knocks the stuffing out of us. It's like we lose all belief that we can win, we start to force things, passes get misplaced.

If Rashford had taken his chance to equalise last week we'd probably have lost too. We saw it against Madrid. Mentally we are all over the place this season.

I think our form is too patchy to get close to 65 points to give us a chance of top 4. Something that people forget about the 2020/21 season is that we were top of the league at the turn of the year and looked like retaining the league ( even with VVD and Gomez injured), then Matip got injured , which wasn't surprising but, somehow no one at the club was prepared for this and for some strange reason we decided to play our two best midfielders at CB instead of playing defenders there ( Phillips and Williams were available and proved themselves adequate in the last 10 games of that season and really should have been tried first before dismantling midfield). This season we have problems in all areas, midfield is obviously the biggest problem area and causing issues in defence and attack. Also some players attitudes seem very poor especially away from home, it's hard to see all those problems being resolved to allow us go on a significant run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

its absolute trash,real,arsenal,Chelsea and City we might get a draw against arsenal that's it.

You should reread your messages before you send them from time to time. This doesn't make sense. Do you write your messages with a tiny phone while on a rollercoaster?

I don't think we'll make top 4. It's possible but I just don't think we're good enough this season. I think it's time to phase out Van Dijk. He's not the player he was. Time to splash the cash on Gvardiol. Three new energetic midfielders. But not Jude f*cking Bellingham. Too much money for an overhyped player. He was lame again at the weekend. Proper competition for TAA. How Klopp doesn't see that he's a poor defender baffles me.

We probably don't have the money for this, but if we did. that's how I'd like it spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

We don't particularly deserve top 4, but I could still totally see us getting it. The post you quoted mentioned 'realist', but all i read was pessimism.

The reality is that poor as we are, all that matters for top 4 is being better than the other competing sides, and those sides are also pretty poor right now. It's a battle of the least worst. It says it all that the team in pole position for it want their manager sacked.

Whoever can put together a few half decent mini-runs will probably take it. We've already shown we can do that by just coming off such a run. We don't need to be winning every week, just registering 2 wins in 3, and that'll probably do the trick. Will we actually do that, I've no idea, but we certainly can.

On the Trent thing - they did bring in one of the highest rated young right backs in world football last summer, he's just ended up being injured all season between the back injury he arrived with, and the knee injury he picked up a few months ago. He's young enough that he can still prove his worth and be a good signing, but it's disappointing that he hasn't been available to be viable competition/relief for Trent. Have to figure the plan was likely that he would be though.

To put ourselves in contention for fourth place we need to win at least 3 of every 4 games for the remainder of the season (42 + 27 = 69). Picking up draws in the other games would get us over the 70 points threshold but wouldn't be a guarantee of fourth place. Last season the team picked up 32 points in the final 12 games (10W, 2D, 0L) and we now find ourselves requiring the same level of performance to have a chance at making the top four. I think that after the game against Real Madrid, there will be a clear the air meeting hosted by Henderson to get the group focused on what is expected of them to rescue the remainder of the season.

Conte is on a hiding to nothing with Tottenham. They have lost their two main midfielders to injury and Richarlison and Son were wasteful to say the least in the FA Cup tie against a weakened Sheffield Utd side who scored with their only shot on goal. The football isn't the "Tottenham style" and they haven't won a trophy since George Bush was U.S. president so the manager has to go. Four of their remaining games will be key to determining fourth place: Brighton (H), Newcastle (A), Man Utd (H), Liverpool (A).

Newcastle had their blip when Guimaraes was suspended but they have only lost in the league to Liverpool and Man City. If Pope hadn't lost his head against Liverpool they may have won the League Cup. Their strength is that they don't concede goals and have the best defensive record in the league. Half of the 18 goals they've conceded were in the four fixtures against Liverpool and Man City. Last season they picked up 25 points (8W, 1D, 4L) in the final 13 games, doing so again would put them on 73 points. Qualifying for the Europa League was their objective for the season, so the form of Liverpool and Chelsea has been a gift. If they win their game in hand and beat Man Utd at St. James's Park then a third place finish is theirs for the taking.

I know this makes the task of Liverpool making fourth place seem quite daunting, but I think that it's still do-able if the players are galvanised and show the mental strength required in games.

Bellingham is overhyped but we should spunk €100m plus on Gvardiol from the same league

• Advertisement

Evan Ndicka is the defender we should be signing from the Bundesliga, a left footed 23 year old giant who could prove to be a quality replacement for Matip and long term partner for Konate. His contract with Eintracht Frankfurt expires at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

Jordan Henderson and Stefan Bajcetic are missing from Liverpool training today ahead of tomorrow's match.

Quick enough, definitely faster than Matip. Richarlison got no joy out of him when Tottenham played Frankfurt in the group stage of the Champions League.

Obligatory YT highlights clip:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

He might be a fantastic player but Richarldson is definitely not the bench mark to judge someone on

wonder is that a precaution ahead of the game? Hendo does miss a few trainings but plays, so it could be a case of managing workload.

Bajcetic was happy out getting on the plane anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I know it's a huge amount of money, but this guy is a lot more consistent and at 21 seems to have reached world class already.

I've been busy today but didn't see any Klopp pre game press conference. Was there any reason for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Henderson didn't travel due to illness, so he's definitely out

• Advertisement

Bajcetic def out aswell Klopp confirmed in presser

Advertisement