Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

Mmmm 9 shots and 2 offsides isn't overly indicative of a massive attempt tbh and watching it was painful enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

And sell off players you don't need anymore like Varane and Casemiro for decent money.... helps if you can find a sucker with deep pockets to buy your old used up talent. 🤣

It's really more about big game mentality and tactics though, rather than raw talent. Madrid are masters of high pressure knockout football. They get the balance right between attack and defence more often than not. In a lot of ways, Madrid are just very efficient rather than actually spectacular to watch.

The fact that the whole reputation of the premier league, is based on it being the most exciting league in the world... this actually works against English teams in Europe. Back when English teams dominated the old European Cup, they were far more conservative and defensively rigid. Now you're under pressure to play very exciting football and take lots of risks, but you get punished for this style of play at the business end of the Champions League. Lets be honest, this is a big part of why Klopp became such a cult figure not just in Liverpool but in English football in general... his willingness to play wild crazy attacking football... he even said it himself a few years back... "We play heavy metal football. It may not be the smartest way to play".

Unfortunately, you get ruthlessly punished at this level if you can't defend properly. Being smart in you tactics and play is really what it's all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Ruthless defenders is a huge difference.

Any or all of Madrid's defenders over the last decade can play ball, but every one would willingly break you into 2 with a kick of necessary. Going back to Ramos, and currently Ruddigar and Nacho certainly had one over their direct opponent in this tie, as Paul O'Connell said once they had the fear of God in Salah and Gapko for instance.

A bit of badness, that apart from Robbo we badly miss back there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Some of the targeting of Trent is baffling.

He's blatantly one of our most talented players, and he's suffering in a team that is low on confidence, can't give him good targets, or get him in good areas often enough. The midfield also offers no real protection.

He'll be fine once we fix what's broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Respectfully disagree. I have noticed a lazy looking attitude in him during last season also. He has been highlighted more this season because his offensive output has fallen off, he gives the ball away alot more and his defending seems to be getting worse not better.

His greatest asset by far has been his ball striking. Coupled with the licence he has been given to get into very forward positions he has had some great seasons with record numbers in assists for a defender. He received plenty of praise and plaudits for it. I thought it was a little ott myself, with many fans calling him the best right back in the world. Robertson's numbers were almost as good but I never felt he got the same level of praise.

You can say that the main contributor to his form is that he is playing in a malfunctioning team, but I disagree. His general crossing, particularly from corners and free kicks, have been poor all season. He is one of the biggest culprits for giving the ball away. It goes back much further than the start of this season. I remember commenting during the CL final about Trent where I counted seven successive possessions he had where he gave the ball away by either kicking it to a Real player or kicking it out of play.

I think his defensive frailties are getting exposed by a malfunctioning midfield alright. But when his main asset to the team is not working, his weaknesses are getting badly exposed then he will be highlighted, particularly given the lavish praise he received for a few seasons. I would add that his body language stinks this season and he generally gives the impression he is not enjoying his game and doesn't want to put maximum effort in. I don't think he is getting picked on though. Fab, Vvd, Gomez, Matip and Salah have received just as much criticism if not more. I am baffled that some posters seem to take it personally when anyone criticises Trent, and some go to some length to absolve him of any criticism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Agreed.

Trent doesn't seem to care when he gets rinsed. He just stops.

We can just about love with him getting rinsed when he is producing up the other end but now he isn't doing that and he isn't bothered tracking after his man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I love Trent he's an outrageously talented footballer. He doesn't want to play at right back anymore at least not in the conventional role, he doesn't have the protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭ratracer

The current squad can’t provide enough cover for TAA to get forward, hence all other teams now seem to have figured out just to overload that flank and it will likely be a good outcome for them. It’s just the LFC bench that seem blind to it! 🙄

As others have said, he is a superb striker of the ball (most of the time), but his primary role is as a defender and his positioning for that has been pretty poison on many occasions this season.

Robbo has the exact same role as him, but rarely gets caught that far up the pitch, if he does he busts his balls to get back and cover.

Similar to Fab’s form falling off a cliff, I think so has TAA’s. And though most would think it’s nuts, I wouldn’t be sorry to see him sold to bring in big cash for squad investment. Is he the only member of the squad who doesn’t have any serious competition for his place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I was at a Liverpool legends night in Drogheda last night and they showed the match as part of the show. Decent night but my god the match was shocking. The simple fact is this team is past it in its current form. I see people here saying they just didn't have the hunger or didn't try enough which frankly i think is BS. The team tried they are just not able to operate as they were able to in previous years. The team has aged together and clocked up a lot of mileage in the last number of years and we're bearing the fruit of it now. As others have said look at how Madrid are handling their aging stars they are supplemented by youth constantly and moving previously good players on to enable it.

Huge investment needed this summer. I actually think FSG are good owners but they need to put their money where their mouth is this summer.

• Administrators Posts: 54,114 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How many times have we seen TAA jogging back, letting a man run past him, or leaving his man free at the back post?

You cannot blame any of this on the state of the midfield IMO, this stuff is not about talent or abilities, it's about effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Trent needs dropping, getting paid a fortune to play right back and no interest in tracking or defending, we need Ramsey back fit and maybe buy another full back to put pressure on him to deliver and defend

Talented yes, but he's never in a million years a right back!

He's just not. He has terrible defensive instincts.

I used to think Roberto Carlos was a bit cavalier back in the day. But Carlos could actually defend reasonably well when he was back in position, but he did get caught up the pitch at times. He also had a very strong workrate and would sprint back into position. Trent is basically useless defensively, that's assuming he's even interested in being back there. You could accept him not having much talent defensively, but it's very hard to accept a player who clearly doesn't bother his ar$e trying. He's a luxury player. It's strange in a team that relies on hard work, to have a player with his attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

It must be a decision made by the management team.

I find it hard to believe that Trent wouldn't have been told to focus on these areas if Klopp etc thought it was a concern.

I think they are looking at the statistical data in that area and playing the odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

While I agree with what you are saying with regards the squad. I never understand the loaded FSG comments with regards to spending money from fans. FSG policy will not change, John Henry will not suddenly be digging into his pockets regardless of where the squad is at. Its simply not FSG modus operandi for any of their sports franchise . FSG themselves solely focus on the commercial side of things and building to overall commercial value of the asset. Money for transfers as always will be generated through player sales, competition prize money, qualifications etc....this is not going to change!

Missing out on the top 4 will have a huge bearing on the summer ahead.

My honest thoughts on Trent:

He came in to the team at a young age. A local lad that came through the academy. Automatically fans get more excited for a young, local lad that has come through the academy, and more than most players who don't fit that criteria, fans will hope he is successful and will be greatly interested in his progress. As things have transpired, he has been greatly successful. He really made a name for himself during the 18/19 season where he posted ridiculous assist stats for a defender. It is a stat he has maintained each season up to this one. It earned him comparisons to Gerrard and De Bruyne and he was labelled by some of our fans as the best right back in the world.

My own opinion on this was that the more extreme levels of praise he received was over the top. The fact he was a local lad that came through the academy perhaps influenced such strong opinions on him. Robertson had stats close to his during most of those seasons but received nowhere near the same praise. But even then Trent's weaknesses were there to see. There were certainly question marks over his defensive capabilities. His defensive awareness, his athleticism and one on one defending were certainly not good. His weaknesses were generally glossed over though and for good reason. He was young so there was hope that with experience and coaching he could improve that side of his game. He was also playing in a dominant team that controlled possession, we pressed extremely well and if our press was beaten Henderson, the right CB or another midfielder had the energy and athleticism to cover for our fullbacks, Trent in particular. We gave up few chances each game and Trent was never really called upon to defend too often, so his weaknesses were never exposed much and his assist stats were so eye catching that all of the focus on him went there.

When it comes to the current version of Trent I see the following:

For a lad of his age I can only describe his athleticism as below average. He is not quick and he doesn't get off the ground well. He gets beaten at the back post far too easily both for headers and low balls played across the box. His defensive awareness has not improved at all. He still does not take up good positions and doesn't track runs. The goal we conceded in the CL final one of many examples where even a defender considered average would do better. His one to one defending hasn't improved either, in fact he seems to be getting beaten more often in these situations. To make matters worse, a consistent feature in his game that I have seen in him even last season, his effort and work rate has dropped off a cliff. He gives up if he gets beaten, has been seen strolling around our box in defensive situations, and is slow to get out to cut out a cross or stop an opponent dribbling in to the box. It is his poor attitude and body language that I can't understand and what ultimately draws me to criticizing him. Not sure what the reason is for this but it is very evident. He seems generally unhappy playing.

Trent's weaknesses being exposed more than ever is partially down to the team generally not playing well or defending well this year. It certainly can't be used an excuse for absolving him of any criticism of his performances or for explaining away his largely poor performances all season. But as I stated above, it is also down to him not improving that aspect of his game and his poor work rate and attitude. He is not producing it going forward now either. His ball striking, which he has shown in the past can be right up there with the best in the world, has been terrible all season. He gives the ball away constantly by looking for the Hail Mary pass far too often and with little success. His free kicks and corners have generally been dire, on most occasions not even close to finding a Liverpool player. That can't be attributed to a team malfunction. I look at a player like Modric and I see a player that can strike the ball as well as Trent but has much more strings to his bow. Trent has one particularly excellent skill which he hasn't shown all season but little else that makes him stand out in a good way.

I do think Trent has not benefitted by the lack of proper competition for his place. I think he could have done with some stints out of the team. I think finding competition for his place, or getting Ramsey fit, is right up there with midfield reinforcements in terms of priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Speaking of Ramsey what is going on there? Obviously wasn't a big money signing but did we buy another sick note?I was looking forward to seeing him.

@Ottoman_1000 In terms of FSG I agree with you they haven't spent (unless they've sold to fund it) but at this stage it's **** or get off the pot time. Let's see what the summer brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭dogbert27

They might have played it as a show of solidarity for both clubs against the sxxt show that is UEFA for last years final debacle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Do you know what Trent is? He's Ozil, but at right back.

Absolutely fúcking phenomenal with a functioning team around him, and does things other players couldn't even think of. But when you're drowning, he won't keep you afloat.

With Trent I feel it's lots of Irish Liverpool fans are still looking at him with rose tints as he's a Scouser. Scousers aren't overly defensive of him these days. It's a sort of wannabe pure Scouse (even though you're zero Scouse thing, imo )

...no doubt we'll have some questioning my credentials to have an opinion on things Scouse now ..that'd be another wannabe pure Scouse trait 🙃👀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Bajetic out for the season. Just when you think things can't get any worse.

Can anyone remember if the press have asked any proper questions about the quantity of injuries that the club has had in recent years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Directly to Klopp ? Not if they want another interview. Plenty in the press have questioned Liverpool’s tactics and training regime and it’s been said a long, long time that it is very hard on bodies, the result of which is injuries. When you have squad depth, you get away with it. But an ageing squad combined with little depth has exposed the whole system as flawed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Watch this goal. Then watch it again, and again and again. Each team, focus on a new person in Liverpool's back 4.

And then tell me why Trent is being focused on?

Konate was just as bad as bad as Trent, if not worse. VVD equally as bad as Konate. Robbo did the same thing as Trent and just stopped. He is lucky that he was further away from the action.

I think someone did, but was shot down. There was some criticism of Kornmayer, the fitness & conditioning coach and Klopp was pretty angry about it.

It's worth looking into the AI tool that Liverpool use for injury prevention, and the other clubs who used and their injury problems this season also. It worked well within the club last season but this season has been terrible. IIRC Rangers, Hull, Bolton & Real Salt Lake City(?) also use the technology and are having bad seasons injury wise.

• Administrators Posts: 54,114 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What do you think this proves?

I think the main blame for the goal lies with Van Dijk and Konate who left a big gap (but mainly VVD who was incredibly lazy in his attempt to get the ball back), but this doesn't make any difference to the current form of TAA.

• Advertisement

I opened the thread(s) and it's another massive pile-on on Trent. While he is bad for the goal, he's not even the most culpable of the back 4. Stop jumping on the bandwagon of the 'Trent can't defend' just cos Rio f'n Ferdinand said it after the game. It's the lazy line to use, you'll get great interactions from it though.

I think Trent was actually playing fairly well the last while. He defended pretty good against Vini Jr in the first leg at Anfield and even though Liverpool conceded 5, none were the fault of Trent. It doesn't stop people going on about it though. The whole build up was about how Trent was going to get destroyed and be the reason why Liverpool would not progress.

I can count at least 2 instances of great defending by Trent last night on Vini Jr. One where Trent saved a goal last night by using great tracking instincts and tackling him when he was about to shoot into a pretty much open goal from 10 yards out. The other was when he showed Vini Jr down the line and tackled him, winning the ball. The referee gave a free kick though. These won't get highlighted, especially the first example. The whole thread is blaming him for the goal instead, when the attention should be on Konate & VVD.

I remember a prominent North West football journalist making this big half time rant during a big game about how Trent can't defend etc. I think he was beaten for pace on the outside by a winger who created a chance from it, that wasn't scored. Beaten for pace, fair enough, it can happen anyone especially a slower player like Trent. When midfielders get outpaced, we don't say that they can't defend. Anyways, Trent was man of the match that day. He actually played brilliantly both defensively and in an attacking sense but that one incident where he got outpaced got highlighted instead. Why?

Don't get me wrong, he wasn't brilliant last night, and poor for the goal. He did ok defensively I thought, especially when Madrid doubled up on him pretty easily. But he was not terrible and not the player who is at fault for the goal.

It is not a pile on though Fitz. Plenty of other players have been criticised for their general performances this season. For some reason though, when it comes to Trent, some posters like yourself won't have it. That is even more baffling. I for one don't listen to Rio Ferdinand to help form an opinion, and your laughable and unreasonable suggestion that some of us are being led by what the likes of him say is quite frankly insulting. I form my own opinion based on what I see from the team on the pitch. If you disagree, fine. But please don't try and disparage the opinions of others because they differ from your own.

I noticed he's been spending more time bulking up in the gym the past couple of pre-seasons... to me this is very often a bad sign with a player.

I'm not surprised his game is dipping. Hollywood muscles go hand in hand with Hollywood passes. Maybe I'm old school, but if you're looking to improve your athleticism for this sport, you'd be much better off focusing on improving your stamina and speed etc. The weight room isn't where great players are built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

1000000% they know when to go down and when to foul. We are way too nice as a team. Their full backs were clattering into challenges all night - pushing pulling etc. Liverpool players are very naïve. Get into the box, shield the ball and then make them come through you, if they touch you hit the deck..

There absolutely is a pile on. Your post was the first of the day about him! And then had a long post about Trent again later in the thread.

There were 9 posts in between your own 2, and these are small subsection of quotes from the 9 posts, in order;

1)  "lazy looking attitude"

2)  "Trent doesn't seem to care when he gets rinsed. He just stops"

3)  "He doesn't want to play at right back anymore at least not in the conventional role, he doesn't have the protection."

4)    "his primary role is as a defender and his positioning for that has been pretty poison on many occasions this season."

6)    "How many times have we seen TAA jogging back, letting a man run past him, or leaving his man free at the back post?"

7)    "Trent needs dropping, getting paid a fortune to play right back and no interest in tracking or defending, we need Ramsey back fit and maybe buy another full back to put pressure on him to deliver and defend"

8)   "He's just not. He has terrible defensive instincts. Trent is basically useless defensively, that's assuming he's even interested in being back there."

As you can see, it's all about Trent. How many posts were there calling out the bad defending by VVD & Konate? Zero. Tell me again that there isn't a pile-on.

I wouldn't be saying this if Trent played terrible last night. But because Liverpool lost, he is the easy target for everyone to jump on, and blame. Blissfully ignoring VVD & Konate. VVD got away with bad performances for a long time. I'm including myself in that too. Konate is getting a free pass now too, s it because he is universally liked? Robertson didn't kick the ball for 20 mins and I didn't even see him defending either. Nothing said. He's had a poor season but never gets mentioned. But Trent gets mentioned every day.

Nothing wrong with differing opinions and all that. I just don't think that last night's game is deserving of this pile on. If he was terrible and at fault for everything, then it's all fair game.

• Advertisement

My post wasn't the first. It was in reply to Slickric who made a post that Trent's performances this season were simply down to the rest of the team not performing. I decided to respond to that post because I didn't agree. My posts are not a summation based on last nights game though. It actually has nothing to do with last nights game. It is based on what I see of him this season obviously but also in comparison to previous seasons.

I don't see you get so bothered when criticism is aimed at other players this season. Plenty of players have been heavily criticised this season such as Fabinho, Salah, Keita, Elliot, Vvd, Milner, Gomez and Matip. Many of those players have received far more criticism than Trent throughout the season but I never noticed you leap to their defence before.

Look I never mentioned last nights game so I don't know why you keep referencing it. Your whole response seems to be constucted based upon his performance last night when nobody specifically referenced it. My own was based on his performances for over a season. Trent's performance last night has nothing at all to do with my opinion. I didn't think any of the outfield players played well last night. Allison was class yet again. It wasn't our worst performance of the season either but a Madrid team, who some think are not great, were extremely comfortable last night.

I am pretty sure if I was to read back through the thread I would see you have offered criticism of players through the season. I am pretty sure there was no mention of pile ons either. 9 posts wow. There has prob been 9 pages at times referencing Fabinho or Gomez. Why have you not stepped in for those players?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Considering where we are right now and the midfield line up last night I thought we were decent enough last night. We never looked like really getting back into the tie and Real played well within themselves. What it did confirm is that the drop off since last year has been massive. In the CL final last year it could be argued that we were unlucky to lose, Courtois had an absolute blinder, but, this year we were well below Madrid's level, if anything the scoreline flattered us.

The big concern regarding the squad going forward is midfield, we were missing 3 midfielders last night, Henderson and Thiago who have both struggled this season and are both past their best and Bajcetic who really only got his chance in the team because the other midfielders can't be trusted. Last night we started with Milner and Fabinho as our only midfielders, yet we had 5 midfielders on the bench, all for various reasons weren't trusted to start, and with the exception of Elliott the other 4 (Kieta, Ox, Curtis and Carvalho) have contributed next to nothing all season, they have essentially been making up the numbers all season ( Carvalho gets a pass here as he's young and still settling in). These are the same players the club was happy to go with last summer and part of the reason midfield wasn't reinforced last summer.

One of the complaints people have is that we have no strength in depth, which is true, but, from a numbers point of view is incorrect, we actually have a bloated squad full of passengers, who aren't contributing anything and need to be got rid of. The squad needs to be trimmed down substantially in the summer, let all the deadwood go and bring in fresh hungry players, it should be quality over quantity. Lads who aren't going to be involved should be let go, either sold or loaned out, no point hanging onto players who aren't contributing anything. It's a massive summer coming up both regarding incoming and outgoing players, the club really do need to get it right or it could be awhile before we see CL football again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

So according to Jose Enrique we will be signing Ryan Gravenberch........

Agree. This summer is massive. Massive clearout of players needed that are not contributing or well past their best. Big question now is about funds and how much will be there to spend. I have gone completely off the idea of Bellingham. No doubt a very talented young player but it is clear as day we could do with 3 midfielders not just 1. If we could even afford him and he agreed to come to Liverpool it is unlikely we would have money for another midfielder.

Another issue that needs addressing is our injury record. This season has been a disaster and has gone way past the point of being put down to simple bad luck. So many injuries, particularly muscle related injuries, from training. Something is very off. Arthur, Diaz, Jota, Bobby, Jones, Keita, Thiago, Konate, Gomez and Matip have all had significant or decent spells out. Some others look like they are carrying knocks through games. It's ridiculous.

Post edited by BillyHasMates on

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Watching Fiorentina here, Amrabat has done more in 30 mins than fabinho has in months, few good passes and not skinned for pace everytime comes near him

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

He's a good player, young and full of energy, would be a huge price I'd say. Not seen much since Ajax days but wouldn't mind per schurrs either. Alot of good players out of contract like ndicka and laimar.. I'd even take rabiot at this stage.. think if we are going to spunk most of the war chest on Bellingham we need to be looking for a few free transfers.. saying that I can't see Bellingham coming.

The continous injuries is concerning, it is something that needs to be looked at; why we seem to consistently have more players injured than other clubs. Something else that should also be addressed, but, is consistently ignored is tactics and team formation; these should be adjusted according to what players are available, if certain players are injured the team and our form falls apart, yet there is little to no variation in our tactics to try to limit the damage.

Alisson and Virgil fed up with lack of investment too.

I think if the club doesn't strengthen, then we will have a few players pushing for a move.

People are referring to his form, performances and seeming poor attitude / body language over the season...not just on about last night.

Plenty have said VVD and Salah have been woeful also.

Virgil and Allison likely want more cash as Salah got a huge bump.

If that's the case and they agitate for more cash I'd say Virgil would be sold. He's a shadow of his best whilst still being very good, not at all a must keep imo.

• Advertisement

Goalkeepers:

I reckon Adrian will leave and be replaced with one of the younger keepers.

Kelleher will stay for another season unless either we want to cash in for transfer money or he puts in a transfer request for more playing time.

Defence:

Would people be in favour of selling VVD or Matip and using the money for Gvardiol?

I think we should definitely be putting Joe Gomez on the transfer list.

Nat Philips will more than likely go this summer too.

I don't think the club will look at another RB option until they can see Ramsey play.

I don't think they will look for a change in LB either with Andy and Tsimikas.

Midfield:

Henderson, Elliot and Thiago will stay.

Ox, Naby, Arthur gone. First two out of contract so no money coming in on them.

Will Milner retire?

He extended last summer a 1 year deal on reduced terms. Milner said he wants to keep playing next season while Klopp said in January he has other ideas for Milner.

That's 3 midfielders definitely gone and 1 potential.

With that I can't see Fabinho being sold unless Klopp doesn't think he can recover his form and decides to cash in for transfer funds.

Curtis Jones? Seems to only be kept for the homegrown quota and also he seems content himself with his place in the squad as he knows he won't be going to a bigger club than Liverpool should he leave so can't see him looking for a transfer.

Bajcetic will be in next years squad also.

As a poster said, according to Jose Enrique a deal is done for Ryan Gravenberch with Enrique saying he knows as they share the same agent. This seems unlikely as Bayern only bought him last summer for 16 million but if they sell him for 30 million to us then it might be true.

Forwards:

Bobby gone but I reckon Gakpo was his replacement. The club probably knew of Bobby's decision long before it was announced.

Leaves us with Salah, Nunez, Jota, Diaz, Gakpo, Carvalho.

Only surprise I can see happening here is if Salah feels he's done all he can at the club and hands in a transfer request.

Getting top 4 or missing out, will have a huge bearing on our transfer dealings, what players we can attract and our budget. Even holding on to our big players like Salah, Allison, VVD etc , will be more difficult, plus other factors like home grown players will also affect the transfer strategy.

Goalkeepers

I think Kelleher wants to leave in the summer, plus Adrian will probably go too, so I'd say we might sign an experienced back up on a free, plus one of the younger goalkeepers stepping up.

Defense

Think Matip will go, plus Phillips. Gomez should probably go too, but, he's home grown so might be kept especially if both Matip and Phillips go. Would definitely be keeping VVD, still one of our best defenders, but, his attitude needs to improve in certain games. Gvardiol would be a great signing, but, we won't be able to afford him, ideally need someone who could cover CB and RB. Wouldn't be surprised if Tsimikas went.

Midfield

Where to start? Hopefully we sign at least 2, but, ideally 3 midfielders. Kieta & Ox both out of contract, Curtis should either be sold or loaned out. Milner might take up a coaching role. Think Bajcetic and Carvalho would benefit more from being loaned out, but, will probably be kept. Morton probably sold or loaned again. Elliott will be kept. I see Henderson fulfilling the Milner role in the squad, filling in for others when they need a rest or cover for injuries and coming on to close out games. Fabinho and Thiago, wouldn't be surprised to see either or both leave, but, quite possible both will still be there next season. A lot of investment required here, but, no real saleable assets to raise funds.

Forwards

As is, without Firmino

There's absolutely no chance of the club selling VVD, he will be 32 in July so there's no chance of a big transfer fee and the costs of replacing him would be astronomical. Likewise with Matip, he may be moved on this summer but he also turns 32 and has only 1 year left on his contract so the potential fee would be minimal again.

Midfield will be the priority this summer with the hope of strengthen there and given better protection to VVD and Konate next season. I do think we need a young centre half long term however but I just don't see it been doable this summer if we plan on investing in the middle. Also if we don't get top 4 the summer will be even harder with the lack of CL funds to boost the coffers!

Why will getting top 4 have such a massive impact on our transfer dealings this summer when we have qualified for it the last 5 years and the funds were not released to overhaul the squad?

Not sure if you are joking or not but Liverpool have spent 560 odd million since the 18/19 season on transfers. Obviously we sold players in there too to make up some of the cost but CL money definitely had a big part to play...put it this way, if we don't qualify for it this year, we have no real sellable assest to generate the funds, we will be in the bargain basement in trying to get deals done this summer...

It shouldn't. Qualifying for the CL gets you 13 mill GBP.

Finishing 4th in the PL gets you 37 mill GBP.

5th gets you 35 mill. 6th gets you 33 mill.

If we were to finish 6th for example the most we would be down on projected earnings is 17 mill GDP which we could probably make back if we sold Curtis Jones.

Yet everyone will agree the squad was not overhauled for us to stay at the top. There is nothing wrong with bargain basements either once they are the "right" ones. We all knew we were crying out for midfield replacements both last summer and more crucially last Jan and neither happened.

I'll put it this way to you,what do you think will be the difference in the amount we spend if we make top 4 to the amount we spend if we don't make it

There is obviously a financial benefit to being in the CL, why is every club so desperate to get top 4. It's the potential money on offer by getting to the knock out stages, which even with poor form we would almost be guaranteed to make, in comparison the potential money on off for getting to the EL final is a lot less. The other factor is that the top players want to play in the CL, if we don't have that and a player has the choice between us and a CL team, we would be at a disadvantage. Unlike other clubs like United, Chelsea and Newcastle, we can't buy our way back into the CL, we will likely find it much more difficult to get back in, if we miss out this season. City, United, Chelsea and Newcastle can all easily outspend us, even Arsenal and Spurs tend to comfortably outspend us too. We don't really have many saleable assets like before, so if we do miss out on top 4 this season it will make it more difficult to get the players we need to get back into the top 4 again next season.

It is difficult to comprehend how we have ended up in this situation so quickly, from challenging on all fronts to the very end of last season, to also rans in a few months with a totally unbalanced squad. Earlier in the season even with our poor form I still felt we would make top 4, but, not so sure any more, what makes it even worse is that Chelsea aren't even in contention, spurs are all over the place, yet we still look like missing out.

I never said anything about the current condition of the squad, I was merely responding to your point about not spending anything in the last 5 seasons. Which is far from the case. Also bear in mind we had the most expensive wage bill of any Premier League team for 3 of those 5 seasons too...

I'll put it to you this, if you don't think CL qualification has any bearing on potential transfer funds, then why is there a desperate dash from all clubs to try get into the competition every season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He was atrocious.

I can't believe we have people trying to put his performance into context.

Advertisement