Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Kelleher's weaknesses being exposed in this Ireland game, particularly for the first Latvia goal, but probably the second one too.

For himself he needs to play more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I think you are been very harsh there. The first was a great strike that could not have been anymore in the top corner and the 2nd took a deflection off Collins as he was positioning himself to get behind the initial strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

U think?

Sure I'm being harsh, but this is the level we are aspiring to. He was lieing on the floor not within an asses roar of the first one as it sailed into the roof of the net, he never got to the pitch of the shot at all. He was unlucky for the deflection for number 2,bue it still hit him and he reacted a bit slowly IMHO. Of itself I'd not be worried about that one, but if he's gonna make it at the tip ie. Liverpool, he's gonna have to save those types of shot more often than not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd have to agree. Good on the ball but I don't fancy him as much of a shot stopper.

First one, I don't think he's getting to, but the way he fell and used his wrong hand...not sure he would have got there even if it hadn't been right in the corner.

Second I think he has to do better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Feck all he could have done about the first goal.

Second goal perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

£96 million bid put in for Bellingham according to unreliable sources on twitter!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What's that in euros? €110m or so? Unless that's the base fee without an extra €30m add ons then they'll be told to do one.

IF its the truth I presume that is just an opening bid and they will go back in with a higher offer when that is rejected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

In 2024, the alleged €60M release fee in his contract becomes active. If Bellingham has made it clear that he wants to move to Liverpool then Dortmund may be inclined to accept an offer in the region of €110M.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

If by some miracle we sign Bellingham ( which tbh I kinda hope we don't), the cost will be much more than the actual fee. Choosing not to sign any midfielders last summer to instead wait for " the right player " has proven to be a massive mistake and financially costly too, effectively the season has been a write-off due to waiting for Bellingham, there are some other factors too, but, most of our problems can be traced back to midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd be so pissed off as a fan to be getting a bid for your star man when you just went top of the table in a title run in.

I doubt the offer was just received. There were reports back in August of talks between the clubs regarding a transfer for 2023. Liverpool have always been keen to avoid an auction, £96M is marginally more than the €100M that Dortmund were seeking last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think any sort of 'news' in the media can be taken with a bucket of salt. There will be lots of different parties trying to angle things their way. Most of this new news will be largely waffle, Ornstein included. He has even waded back on what he said the last day already, to cover himself. And even then he didn't even give any news - Liverpool will pull out if there is a bidding war. Hardly groundbreaking.

It's pretty well known that Liverpool transfer stuff doesn't tend to play out in the British media. It's usually sources with the selling club that break the news there.

I'd have every faith that Liverpool have had, or currently are having, casual negotiations with Dortmund. Liverpool will have an idea of what the price is.

Dortmund have shown that they are open to splitting transfer fees over a number of payments, which suits Liverpool. Liverpool can well afford £30m per year for a number of years. It's wages that I would be more worried about tbh.

Ornstein is the person that claimed last November that FSG were selling the club. The quotes attributed to Tom Werner were never given in context and were framed to make headlines. Werner later said that he was talking about FSG seeking a minor partner which would involve selling a minority stake of the club. "FSG were exploring a sale" in that context which wasn't exactly headline news. Ornstein went with a click bait story and for that reason alone I don't think he can be trusted when he has a breaking story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Funny how the brain remembers horror much more easily than joy;

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

Indeed, and only for my fat fingers, it would have been quicker as I knew as soon as the first club came up 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'm not normally one for these compilation videos, but this minute of Mo, Sadio and Bobby linking up is sublime (and bittersweet)

(Watch on mute though, the music is horrific)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭passatman86

Im probably last to the party here, but I was just Google searching previous Liverpool players from Brazil a minute ago and seen an article that Lucas Leiva retired last week due to a heart condition - unlucky to retire but to only have the problem show up aged 36 he can be happy with the career he had

Club legend imo

Yeah Lucas had a good innings and has been fondly remembered.

Nice to see Gini back on a pitch after his bad injury

Things not much better for VVD on the international scene either 🙈🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Liverpool Legends beat Celtic Legends today. Some of the names brings me back 20 to 30 years ago.

Liverpool Legends full squad

Goalkeepers: Jerzy Dudek, Sander Westerveld.

Defenders: Fabio Aurelio, Sami Hyypia, Ragnar Klavan, Bjorn Tore Kvarme, Martin Skrtel, Gregory Vignal.

Midfielders: Charlie Adam, Salif Diao, Steven Gerrard, Mark Gonzalez, Gary McAllister, Steve McManaman, Albert Riera, Momo Sissoko.

Forwards: Djibril Cisse, Luis Garcia, Robbie Keane, Dirk Kuyt.

Management: Sir Kenny Dalglish, John Aldridge, John Barnes, Ian Rush.

Now that's a boot room management team! 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just watched the highlights.. my god, Charlie Adam is only 37, but looks closer to 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Stevie g got some abuse from traveling support but got the opportunity to give some back after scoring a penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Crikey, that was one slow moving defence, even in its day. I can't imagine they're any faster know but each of them were like a wall. Nothing passed them.

Not sure about Diao being a legend either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ah here, he's right up there with... checks notes... Kvarme, Klavan and Vignal 🤣

The line up may have been padded out a bit, but it did look like a fun day out. I must go over for it sometime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

England starting with Henderson, Rice and Bellingham in midfield for today's game, our next seasons midfield :)

Haha, good one.

No way Henderson starts over Bajcetic for us next season. 😉

Rice,no thanks

• Advertisement

If a picture could sum up our summer transfer window:

I wouldn't say no.

Probably more realistic than Bellingham who I doubt will be coming our way.

I'd be happy with any strength in midfield once it's decent quality tbh. Both of these two are hyped to the last, and will probably command ridiculous fees. I can see us hopefully unearthing a few gems elsewhere.

Conte gone from Spurs, I was hoping he would hang on for another few weeks!!!

Yep new manager bounce guaranteed for them now,or interim manager bounce

Ya hopefully they're such a shambles that even the new manager bounce won't work it's magic!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭dogbert27

He might have to at this rate, but it’s mostly the lustful gaze at Bellingham I was referring to. 😅

I wonder could Bellingham end up like Owen and Rooney,burnt out at an early age. He is playing an awful lot of football at a high level for such a young age

Owen's issue really was just his hamstrings, and his game being entirely based around sudden sharp bursts of 100% speed. And of course also being played while injured in his early 20s by Houllier, which made his injuries worse and ultimately irreparable.

Would say Bellingham is a more natural physical athlete than Rooney for the longer term... Rooney always had to fight his natural body shape to an extent to stay in top form. Others like Ronaldo and Milner and Ibra have had immensely long careers, having started in senior teams as teenagers, but had body types that were more naturally athletic. There is definitely the risk of overworking developing muscles though, so you'd hope that the sports science fellas are keeping an eye on that sort of thing.

It's hard to measure at this point but I'd say Rooney is a bad comparison. Rooney was an incredibly gifted player no arguments, but he was not really a physical athlete. He was physically very strong and to be fair he worked like a trojan but he was no Ronaldo. Bellingham is an athletic freak for his age and a completely different build to what Rooney was as an 19 year old. If he gets a serious injury he could end up another Michael Owen alright as that's what led to his untimely downfall. But every player carrys that level of risk, just look at VVD. An unmovable athletic beast of a centre half who probably could have done a decent job in any position at his peak and he has not been the same since his ACL injury. It's such a shame.

Anyway I don't think it will really matter. Our only links to Bellingham is all the ex Liverpool players fluttering their eyes in his direction in the press, I honestly don't think we will be anywhere near in the running when it comes to it this summer and I think that's a good thing for us. I do think he's a fantastic player but we could do so much more with the 150 odd million and ridiculous wages that he will command. If we were to land Bellingham he would have very little impact on our team as it currently stands as we won't be able to afford anyone else to come in. Our midfield next season would be Bellingham + some young kids like himself (Elliot a Bajectic) or Bellingham + players who are passed it or on the way there (Thiago, Hendeo, Fab, potentially Milner)

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mount coming in and playing in Ginis old role.

I actually think we will end up with Mount, I'm not 100% kean on him. He's a decent footballer but his very best is on the offensive side of things and I don't know if he has to the athleticism or defensive awarenesses to do the Hendo/Gini role.

The thing with Mount is though he will cover one of the homegrown players as we are losing potentially 3 this summer. I'd actually rather we gave Milner a 1 year extension with some form of coaching role and just focused on getting in midfielders without having to worry about the homegrown quota. I'd love to get in someone like Mikel Merino for that left side of the 3. Reports are he has a realise clause of 50m from his contract at Sociedad and that would be a bargain in my opinion.

I like Mount, and would be grand with him coming in as long as he doesn't cost a fortune since he's coming into the last year of his deal. But only if there's a top top quality 6 coming in, and ideally another 8 as well. He's a good player, but his style is the one we're least in need of, so I only want him coming in as long as the more meaty roles are also getting filled.

Unless he comes in and does what Lalana used to do, full of running, pressing monster, recycling the ball and being press resistant.

Yeah, like that's what I'd expect his role to be, and it'd be nice - but I only want us springing for that as long as the more important defensive midfield concerns are dealt with. Like, there's no point in paying the money for a great pressing fella if teams can just hit it longer and walk through our DM. Mount would be an 'icing on the cake' sort of guy for midfield, but we're desperately in need of sorting the cake itself first and foremost. So, hopefully we just sort all the things, and have Mount playing ahead of some monster ball winners and stoppers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I've a feeling it will be Bellingham signing with Mount being kept sweet, just in case the Bellingham deal goes tits up.

Bellingham + an other (which will be dictated by finances)

or

Mount + an other (where the boat can be pushed out further because the Bellingham outlay is not there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Don't do it to yourself. We aren't getting Bellingham. I'd put money on him ending up in Manchester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Klopp has had enough imo. He cannot get anymore blood from these stones.

It will be Bellingham, Mount plus another.

It's very rare that the full transfer is paid so I think the club will have the funds.

Or Chelsea. We saw what they did when Arsenal were in for Mudryk.

If he ends up somewhere else (and I think it’s more likely he goes elsewhere) the club is going to look very silly, personally I’m finding the whole thing cringeworthy.

I’d also agree with the above point on Mount, a decent option but only if we get hard working midfielders around him.

• Advertisement

Yeah Gerrard and henderson adding to the cringe the last few days. You would be fairly sick of Bellingham's name being mentioned at this stage

Advertisement