Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The chants for Nunez from the travelling fans when he came on, when he scored, and after the game says a lot about how much of a fans favourite he is atm. He is getting the backing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

People always say

That when we win, the other team was awful

That when we lose, the other team was brilliant

The reality, when we lose, we are awful

When we win we are the Liverpool of old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Only a complete idiot would write Nunez off this early in his Liverpool career!

Has all the tools to massively kick on next season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Essential that this is posted today;

Another year older, another Champions League semi final for the legend.

Would love to see him win it again with Milan, he’d join the likes of Seedorf, Ronaldo, Kroos and Alonso as having won it with two different clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

So looks like Carvahlo will be sold in the summer if the latest twitter rumours are to be believed. Presume he is worth 15-20 million

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

Could see carvalho going back to Fulham and it ending up a bit like when zaha left Utd to go back to Palace. A season long loan with regular football would make more sense than a sale I think.

I would think Carvalho would be more of a loan. To get back playing football regularly and to develop, or else to gain value. One or the other.

In other young players, it looks like Shalke want to re-loan Sepp van der Berg again. He had started a few games for them this season but got a bad injury. They want to keep him for next season again. He's only 21, not the worst idea. But they more than likely will be in the Bundesliga 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

At this stage I would go withe 343 formation.

For the present have virgil, the man mountain and joe as the 3

Buy a good lef sided CB in the summer

Robbo fab tiago trent in the middle with the midfield rotating to give trent the freedom to float. buy a serious midfielder in the summer

would prefere not to buy mount as I think he way overrated due to being English

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Mount would be fine if there are solid midfield players beside him. I'd see him as a fitter version of Adam Lallana, his pressing and ability to win turnovers in the oppositions half is why he's of interest. Being English over inflates his value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Mount does not excite me at all and the reported €70m fee is mental, even when taking into consideration the "English Tax"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Would be bizarre as **** for fans to ever boo a player. Particularly when they've travelled to Leeds on a mOnday night to see him score in a big team win.

I wouldn't expect fans with legitimate concerns over his VfM and performances to date not to back him from the stands either. They are two completely different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mount is a very good player. You don't win your clubs POTY award twice in three years being overrated.

He was also a very important part on the Chelsea team that won the CL.

Out of curiosity, what would it take for you to warm to him?

Let's say he scores 5 or 6 more goals this season, a couple of assists and finishes on 20 goals, 8 assists all comps. Is that not a good return? For reference, Mane's first season was 13 goals, 8 assists all comps. Drogba was 16 & 7, albeit a different era and different players. Nunez is probably somewhere in between the 2, but is closer to Mane, positionally.

If it's a case of not being clinical enough, I think that's a fair one. His fellow countryman had the same problem when he arrived too and I'm not saying that Nunez will definitely follow the same path, but there is a hope that he can follow it somewhat after the year of acclimatization.

I'm intrigued to see what a front 3 of Diaz-Nunez-Salah can do at some point in the future this season, and next. They have only started 4 games together. Arsenal away, Everton away, Palace home, Rangers home. It's not a great same size as Nunez got sent off early in 1, Diaz went off injured early in 1, and in the away derby the midfield was 2 teenagers & Fabinho. Hopefully we see a proper trial of it in the remainder of this season to see how it will work before next season. Gakpo looks to have settled more now though, so that will throw a spanner in the works, along with Jota scoring and Bobby getting his good bye start!

I'd be happy for us to send him on loan next year but Carvalho being sold for 3-4x what we paid a year ago is good business regardless. He hasn't shown much of anything since the first few weeks of the season, and even at our most barebones Klopp has seemed hesitant to call him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not in the slightest bit worried about him. Really feel like Klopp is gearing him up for next season, he's had a bit of start stop season too first with suspension and then injuries. Young, doesn't speak english and has been put into a team that just isn't functioning as it can. He works hard and is a handful that will always be appreciated by the support.

He's 24 this summer but you forget how little top level experience he actually has. 3 years ago he was playing in La Liga 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

But no way is he worth £70m and £250k+ per week. He might be a very good player but he represents terrible value for money and for a club that don't have bottomless pockets it would be an awful signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, like Chelsea can ask for 70m for a player in the last year of his contract all they want, but I don't see anyone paying it. Newcastle maaaybe at a push, but I'd say all anyone else will be offering is 40m. The only players that draw in those big fees in the last year of their contracts are the special ones that offer something rare. Mount is a good solid player, but he's barely a 70m player with years left on his deal, let alone when it's about to lapse.

I'd be fairly alright with him joining - as long as he's bottom of the midfield priority list after 2 more central workhorse players come in. The need for his midfield style is just the lowest at the moment.

Chelsea are fecked FFP wise and need to sell players this summer before 30th June. They may be asking for 70m now but coming closer to that date things will be getting hairy and they'll need to accept less money for players who are looking to leave.

I'd also imagine he won't be getting 250K, he'll be like everyone else at Liverpool and have his wages heavily incentivised if he joins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Very strange season, we've been terrible pretty much all season yet we have a good few very big high scoring wins; 7-0 against United, 9-0 against Bournemouth,1-6 against Leeds ( yet lost the reverse fixtures) and the 7-1 against Rangers in the CL. In other seasons when we were playing well I don't remember us having that many high scoring wins, the only one that springs to mind is the 7-0 against Palace which preceded our dreadful start to 2021. Yet we've struggled to score in so many matches this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

I wonder who will get the number 9 jersey for next season?

Darwin is currently number 27, 2+7=9 & Cody is currently number 18, 1+8=9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Saving it for Mbappe 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

It'll be very interesting in the long run what happens with Darwin in the long run ,

Klopp has realised with our current squad we need a false 9 to help out in midfield & mainly to retain the ball ,& it also seems to get the best out of Salah , it creates way more space for him,

So i can see Gakpo being our go to number 9 next season, what happens in the long term with Darwin ? Is he a CF is he back up to Gakpo, is he our LW or is he back up to Diaz, Very interesting times ahead, His long term future may depend on what midfielders we big this summer & how our style develops lets not forget Mo wont be here forever so we may change it up .

I think everyone can see he will develop into a really good proper 9 but he may just be at a club who don't want one,

So the big question who is going to be our new 7 (presuming Millie goes),8,9,10 next season?

I'll go Diaz 7 , Nunez 9 , McAllister 10 , 8 kept for 2024 for Jude ........but really no idea

Gakpo wears 8 for the national team, so the 18 thing might just be to get an 8 in there. With Naby leaving he could take it off him, and maybe it'd be no harm to take the pressure off it by having it removed from a midfielder. Similar to what Milner's done with the 7, removing it from an attacker.

• Advertisement

A switch to 4-2-3-1 probably suits the payers we have now for next year.

TAA/New RB, Konate, VVD, Robertson

Fabhino, Thiago/TAA

Salah, Gakpo, Diaz

Nunez

With the players we're being linked to though we might see a big shift in formation.

Its possible alright , being a traditional big club I'd want us to stay some what old school and give the "Big" number to the right players,

It should be a honour & a burden that you can carry when you get to wear the famous shirts

Also its dream from the merchandise side of things to have star players with the 7.8.9.10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'm heading over for the Forrest game on Saturday & my biggest interest is to see how they go about getting Trent into CM,

It'll be nice to have a picture of the whole pitch & see how the go about it tactically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Delete

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

In our home games for the rest of the season I'd love to see Diaz (Left) Nunez (Centre) Mo (Right) and Gakpo playing (AMF) behind Nunez.

Sound's good on paper but it might just congest the middle,

A lot of the time Klopp wants the CB to vacate his position to follow the false 9 (Gakpo) leaving the space for our wide forwards,

I see Fab is on 9 yellows meaning if he is booked this weekend he gets a 2 match ban, Im guessing as its week 32 if he is left out then & doesn't play next week the cards go back to scratch is that correct ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Yea after the West Ham game the count will be increased from 10 for a ban. So he has 2 games to survive without getting a yellow card to miss out on a 2 game ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I dunno.

We showed no appetite to change formation this season, in spite of everything burning up around us. We maintained the dogma of 433 pretty religiously regardless of other teams finding a way of exposing our weaknesses.

I'd hope we're more adaptable next season regardless of what the base formation is. The days of picking a formation and playing it regardless to what circumstances you face are long gone.

7 of those yellows have come in the last 9 games too. He really does feel like a walking yellow card atm. Coincidentally the 2 games he was not booked in are the only 2 defeats since January (that he played in).

Mason Mount deleting his Twitter account. Possibly in anticipation of the backlash of leaving his boyhood club soon enough?

Sounds more like a criticism of Musk's changes since taking over twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Doesn't want to pay for the blue tick and can't yet get a red one

• Advertisement

There's been a lot of (sometimes valid) criticism across the years of FSG's attitude towards the transfer market and not stumping up the cash.

One thing that is extremely rarely heard is praise for not stumping up large amounts of money. There was outcry when they wouldn't pay over £70m for Thomas Lemar, again for Nicolas Pepe and again a couple of summers ago for Jadon Sancho. All look like good examples of holding onto your money rather than buying a poor player who is not better than what you already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I don't remember there being much outcry at all for those players you mentioned. Certainly not on here, maybe Twitter but I never pay much heed to Twitter in terms of gauging the sentiment of fans on anything. Twitter is loaded with anon trolls. While I recall us being linked to those players, were the links ever any more than gossip?

The only player I can recall being annoyed we didn't get was Werner at the time, but I wasn't exactly spitting fire over it.

They are right to pull out of Bellingham deal if 130m or so is the sort of fee being banded about.

Blowing that much on one player doesn't make sense when were need 2 or 3 upgrades.

Hopefully he's a complete flop and we can say how lucky we were. Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I see firminio is injured again. Definitely is the right decision that he is going at the end of the season. Has been a stalwart for the club and defined klopp's 7 years the way he played. Sentiment should never come into decisions like this

Agreed, when I first saw the injury report my heart sank at the thought of never seeing him play for us again all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

You sure? If we were linked with a player and missed out there is usually some outpouring of anger from some, even on here. I am not bothered to go back and look and I may be projecting some of the Bellingham disappointment on the other players but we have a very vocal fanbase who make their feelings known when they feel they didn't get their way. All clubs are like that but we are not like Villa or West Ham who are aiming for European places in a good season, we want to win the league if we have a good season. A 3rd place finish 20 points behind the winner would be regarded as average to crap by some and most clubs would bite your hand off for that.

I am seeing some tweets about spending at other clubs and transfermarkt has a nice page where you can see the spend, net and gross, for whichever period you want to.

I know these are estimated spend but they take it from reports on what was paid if it is undisclosed. What is interesting is to see how much the Glazers have spent, even with paying interest payments. I am sure you will have United fans saying they should have spent that on players as well, but their record since Ferguson left does not read to me that extra funds would have changed their fortunes. They had other problems more structural than financing that lead to their underperformance. Also, since Ferguson left Arsenal has outspent us as well by some margin. So while they are doing great this year and I hope they go on to win the title, it is long overdue based off the investment they have pushed into the club.

It is fun to play around with the years, but depressing to see how far ahead Chelsea and City are in spending above the rest. Since Abu Dhabi took over in 08/09 the net spend of City is more than our gross spend. This is with the amazing value they get when they sell their players as well. They sell them for good prices because they are good players, yet they are still 900m euro in spend above our gross figure. It is about the same for net spend as well.

This will not change in the next few years unless the Premier League actually acts but they aren't going to do anything that hurts the brand. I know we are the Premier League but when you see the outside pressure the UK Government put on Richard Masters to allow the Saudi ownership to go through, that doesn't matter. For us to compete with the likes of City, Newcastle or PSG you will need, option 1, funding where we get a bigger share of broadcast money coming in as we are a bigger draw than all but one club in the PL. Or you need (option 2) a country owning you which will not be palatable for a good portion of fans. Or you need to have the Super League (option 3). None of these seem likely to happen at the moment so we have to hope our current model catches lightning in a bottle again, which I think is possible, or hope for something that will not happen (option 1). The other 2 options are going to divide the fanbase whichever might happen. It really is depressing when you think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

His reaction times are shockingly bad, you can't tactical foul if you've turned into a snail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Yunus Musah.

He any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

one of the lads in work is a Valencia fan and he rates him. I seen bits of him in the World Cup too, my only real memory of him in that however is the crunching tackle he put in on Kane, that act in itself is a massive bonus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Not going to look back either. But on the 3 players Fitz mentioned I don't recall anyone here calling out FSG for not getting any of those mentioned players. The spend grumblings started around 2 seasons ago when we had the defensive issues at cb. Those mentioned players were linked to us before then. Hell we have been linked with Mbappe more than any of those players but I don't recall anyone calling out FSG because we didn't put a bid in lol.

Advertisement