Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

So a club like City with over a 100 charges against them are still fiddling the books, still cheating their way to titles, while the Premier League don't take any action, I believe it. And if action is taking, like a 20pt deduction, or transfer ban, the court of sport arbitration , the most corrupted court on the planet will overturn it, as they're a law onto themselves, and have been got to clearly... and knowing this allows City to continue to do what they're doing, and round and round we go, fake title after fake title.

The court of sport arbitration is like a secret society that governs themselves, every decision is final, and no explanation is ever given as to the reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

That's the most spursy scoreline ever.

Haaland is on 375k a week, and City triggered the 60 million euro release clause.. around 50m pounds

With add ons Nunez tops out at 85m pounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

375k from th club with another 250k in one of those "special" sponsorships that City seem to be able to pull off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,104 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

We really need Everton & Arsenal to beat Newcastle now. Everton need the win, bad hopefully Arsenal will still be in the title hunt when they play so that they need the win. Leeds are in the same situation as Everton but they are totally bereft of any confidence.

• Advertisement

9 points in it now and they're 9 goals better off on goal difference. So we would technically need them to lose 3 and draw 1 of their remaining 7 games! They're also at home for 4 of those, so ya that's not going to happen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There was some leaks a while back that that’s only his base wage too, with easily achievable targets in there to bring him to close to a million a week all in. Which is what Mino had publicly said his next contract would be.

Still possible, Man U face Spurs, Villa, Brighton West ham in next 4, and only the Villa game is at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

After our run of games in January it was an outside chance. The subsequent results against Wolves, Bournemouth and Crystal Palace took it out of our hands.

Failing to qualify for the Champions League is an opportunity to reset and learn the painful lesson of what happens when squad development is neglected. If by some miracle Liverpool were to finish in the top 4, I have no doubt that the lesson would not be learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lads United are playing Maguire for the rest of the season so there's hope yet 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

That's the end of any slip chance of 4th anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gave our selves too much to do, all those stupid points dropped. Not a fan of the Europa League but the table doesn't lie, 5th or 6th is what we deserve.

I'm positive for next season though, still lots of talent and fire power but need to sort midfield and strengthen defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I agree, as much as I hate to say it but, I think it'll be better in the long run to miss out on top 4 this season as it'll highlight the necessary changes that needs to be made to get back to where we were over the last few seasons. If by some miracle we somehow got top 4 this season the lessons wouldn't be learnt and the club would roll into next season with minimal changes made and another underwhelming season would play out. A case of short term pain for longer term gain, that would be my hope anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Brighton will be out for revenge when they next play Utd.

Could make things interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Quite simply City's lawyers are more powerful than the rest..

It's the reason FFP failed and yes it's because of money..all the associations are afraid to take them on properly

Money looks after the money..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Brighton couldnt score in over 2 hours, against a tired, poorly performing, much changed United team today. If ever there was a chance to get to a cup final, it was today. And they couldnt take it. Can't see them being that bad again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Why would he be getting involved in anything other than focusing on winning the Bundesliga after going top on Saturday?

It's on Twitter so it must be legit but no blue tick so maybe not😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It was painfully obvious after we “pulled out” that this saga wasn’t over. I said it then and I’ll say it again, I’m confident that Bellingham will be a Liverpool player next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

The 8 goal difference would be wiped out by them losing 3 games & Liverpool winning their games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Considering Newcastle have only lost to Liverpool, Man City and an in form Aston Villa in the league this season it's difficult to envision a collapse in their form that would see them lose to at least two of the remaining fixtures against the fodder teams (Everton, Southampton, Leicester, Leeds and Chelsea). That is assuming that they will lose against Arsenal.

Realistically the best we can hope for is a top 6 finish.

Unless there's a substantial investment arriving in the next few months, it doesn't make business sense to blow a huge wad of cash on one player.

What's driving your confidence exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Nunez, the only player transfer where the Add On's are included in his fee. Every player signing to the PL would have some form of Add On. I'm not sure what the Add On targets that were set but I'd be pretty confident that haven't been met.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

I wonder have these last few days been Jones last chance,

Seems odd that Elliot has suddenly been benched for him when he was clearly Klopp's favourite of the two, I'm wondering have Klopp & the staff decided to give Jones one finally run to see if he has what it takes, or even to put him in the shop window,

He just never seems to do enough the merit being a starter at a club like Liverpool, He has two years on Elliot & 4 on Bajcetic but bot h of them seem to offer more,

Although he could be worth keeping around for one more season just encase of Injury ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I don't think the past few weeks have been a Jones>Elliott or vice versa thing. Jones has been brought in to play on the left of midfield in this system that has Trent playing centrally. Elliott almost always plays for us on the right but that's Henderson's position at the moment so he can try cover RB for Trent.

That being said I hope Jones isn't in the squad next season, he's well overdue a loan to see what he can do playing week in week out.

Good point about the left,

He should have went on loan a that start of this season was madness to keep him but then when we didn't sign nay midfielders we needed body's,

For various different reason's Milner, Jones,Naby,Ox are all nothing players now , add nothing on the pitch at all, 2 or 3 in to replace them will make a big difference ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Yeah I think it’s the change of the system that has opened the door for Jones. I’ve never been a massive fan (I think part of the problem was the over praise he got for games like Ajax in the Cl), however getting a few games back to back has clearly helped him.

Id rather him out on loan for a year next year, Bournemouth would be a nice fit, see what he can actually do at Pl level.

it does make me wonder what sort of midfielder they have in mind for that LCM role for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,104 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The change in system also has taken a place away from Thiago at the moment.

While he can be sound in a double 6 system alongside someone like Fabinho, especially against weaker teams at home, you wouldn't really trust him there alongside Trent for too long. It's either Trent or Thiago alongside a 6 in that system for me. It was trialled for 20 mins on Saturday, and it was probably the best match to trial it in. Lasted 20 mins before Milner was needed to come on and shore things up again. That 20 min spell was probably the worst in the game. Just didn't work. It could be useful when chasing a game but for me it's a no right now.

Could Thiago work in that Jones LW/CM role? I don't think he has the physical skillset for it right now at this stage of his career, and it doesn't make the most of his skillset, dictating from deep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

Looks like 6th would be good enough for the Europa League based on the FA Cup semi-final results. If we could win all the remaining games and get over 70 points, it would be a good end to the season and a springboard for next season.

I would not be loaning out too many players if we are playing Europa League football next season. I would use it as a basis to blood new and young players and bringing back injured players. I wouldn't want to see Salah, VVD, Trent, Alisson, etc. playing in Europa League until we get to the latter sections of the competition. We should be able to manage Europe this season with almost a second team allowing the first team to focus on getting Top 4 and above resting comfortably midweek, etc. Having 6 Europa League games and a run in the cup competitions should be enough to keep players around in the first half of next season.

Thagio was absolutely miles off it on Saturday , it looked like he had cement blocks on his feet watching from the stands,

The lack of pace or even just zip like lads moving over 5 to 10 yards in midfield is so obvious, they just don't get around quick enough,

Hendo not being able/willing to turn his hips & go in a different direction is a small thing that makes a huge difference, Its noticeable when Thiago is on it that is one of his strongest assets,

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I honestly don't know what to make of Nunez any more, I keep changing my mind. He mixes the sublime with the hopeless. He runs around a lot, but some of his decision making in front of goal is terrible.

The header he missed at the weekend, I reckon Diaz scores that without fuss. It was an easy one. His odd "cross" to Gakpo that kind of looked like a shot but just went dead was really poor.

I don't think it coincidental he's spending a lot of time on the bench.

Hopefully with the benefit of another pre-season he can work on this stuff.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Jones is 22 and has over 50 PL appearances already. I don't know what the point of loaning him out would be.

I think if he's loaned out again that'll be the end of his Liverpool career.

I don't think he lasts beyond next season , I think he is destined to play for the likes of Lazio or Inter or Villa or the likes

I think he'll be a really good number 9 for the guys trying to break into the top tier but he just doesn't have enough to his game to play for a top tier team,

He doesn't suit the style we want to play, Klopp seems to have given up a little on him, Jota ,Diaz, Gakpo seem to have moved ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭McFly85

I really want to see Nunez with a properly functioning Liverpool team before making any massive judgements.

His numbers aren’t bad at all, he’s always looking to get involved, and is a nightmare for defenders to deal with. The most frustrating thing about him is he gets into some great positions and makes the wrong call.

Hopefully we are in a better place next season to really judge him.

• Advertisement

The style & personal should change enough during this summer that he may find himself being out number 1 forward,

It very hard t tell right now what the team looks like in August & who's first choice,

Alli, Konate,VVD, Salah ,Diaz are probably the only ones who are guaranteed to start ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

All depends now on West Ham if they win the Conference League then 5 and them will be in the Europa League with 6th in the Conference League

Forget the above, If West Ham win the Conference League they will go in to the Europa League in a different spot. So yea with the FA Cup being between both Manchester teams and both most likely to be in top 4 then United's Conference League spot will go to 7th in the league and 5th and 6th will be in the Europa League.

Post edited by citytillidie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Nunez just needs to follow old but good Liverpool advice:

'If you're not sure what to do with the ball, just pop it in the net and we'll discuss your options afterwards.'

50 senior appearances is really low for a good 22 year old, and his have been staggered over 4 years, with many of them just being a few minutes here and there. In comparison to our other young players like Elliott he’s miles behind on basic time spent in adult football. Tyler Morton’s made 46 senior appearances this season alone. Curtis really really needs a proper season of playing week in week out to simply gain the benefits of experience.

the question of if he’s good enough for Liverpool is kind of irrelevant to that. He’s probably not. But for his own career (and for us to get the best price if we sell) he deserves a chance at actually playing a full season of football - there’s so so much he can learn by just playing every week in a side. Young players simply have to play to learn and get better.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Well to start off it's not 50 senior appearances, it's 90, it's 50 PL appearances. The overall premise of your point kinda feels wrong too, like there's no 1 set of appearances to aim for, the more the better sure, but 90 between all competitions in 4 seasons with a decent amount of injuries and most of that coming when we were an exceptional side is the actual truth of the matter.

The other side that I probably agree with you on is that he's probably just about not good enough, but he's clearly close, and pretty reasonable in a squad capacity, I don't see him as a major issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The sheer publicity of this whole thing. We never come out so adamantly against a transfer unless there’s an ulterior motive. At first I thought it was because we wanted to negotiate with Dortmund in private out of the media spotlight. Now, I reckon it’s the fact that Bellingham only wants Liverpool and this is the board’s way of using his player power to force Dortmund into settling for a slightly lower fee.

Just to be absolutely clear, it’s only a feeling I have. I’ve been wrong before and surely will be again, not trying to pass myself off as an “ITK” or any nonsense like that. 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

£64m rising to 85?

Tbf, we've had him a year, I'd say we are already committed to pay about half the difference.

Beside the point anyway, mad money for the return we are currently getting and serious question marks.

Problem is, what kind of loss would you take to sell him in the summer? It would be hard to accept but then again his value could be further eroded by another season like this one.

Gakpo has really, really made himself much more integrated into how we play in a much shorter period of time. Alot more positive on that front.

all i know is if it goes to 85 million it means has been brilliant so worth it,

Gakpo to be fair has has it easier as he speaks the language ,I'm still not sure on Gakpo looks brilliant one match then looks lazy the next one,

I think the reason Jota gets games is because even when he is playing crap he keeps trying to get goals ,, he has an intensity about him, Gakpo sometimes looks like he is happy to just cruise through a game like Saturday ,Jota will constantly put himself on the line when playing poorly

I have to agree,

It makes sense for Liverpool to NOT spend all there money on one player, but it makes no sense to brief jurno's to spread the word that we are out of the race We have never spoke about players until we sign them so its just odd,

I still believe we will sign Jude but it may be next summer ,

I agree. Gakpo, like Nunez hasn't set the world on fire with his goal returns, however he looks 10 times more composed than Nunez in almost every situation. His finish for his 2nd against UTD just been 1 example. He looks very assured with the ball at his feet and seems to pass and take the right option 90% of the time. Nunez for all his endeavor is the exact opposite of this… I like Nunez, he gives it his all, but I just don’t see him ever been a long term option for us. That composure I speak of when it comes to Gakpo can’t be thought unfortunately. Its what separates the better players at the biggest clubs and I don’t think Nunez will ever get there. Someone mentioned it already, he will always probably be a decent striker for the 2nd tier teams as he gets himself into good positions, but the misses and all-round random bizarre moments from him get highlighted to a greater extent at a club like Liverpool. His cameo at the weekend summed him up, made himself busy and got into decent positions, but his effort for the header was outstandingly woeful. It looked like an effort you would see from your center half in your Sunday morning pub league. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Fans really need to be a bit more patient with new signings, we've been spoiled with the level of players we have signed that have hit the ground running. I see plenty potential in Nunez and Gakpo.

Gakpo isn't a prolific goalscorer he's got 5 league goals from 14, not terrible by any means. Nunez 9 league goals from 24 appearances, again not terrible. Given how disjointed the team is too I don't think those returns are bad for young players, in a much better league than they are coming from.

They will absolutely be expected to hit the ground running next season, if all the forwards can stay fit there is alot of strong competition for those left and centre positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Klopp seems invested in him anyways.

It's probably a bit too soon to be writing him off completely.

Embrace the chaos. I'm hopeful he is a success.

I didn't go looking tbh, I just took the previous chap's post at face value.

For your second point, that's been his issue really - if he was just slightly worse he'd have gone on loan already and would probably already be a better developed player by now. But as a fringe level first squad guy, he's been valuable to have around, so has stayed to his own detriment. Same as Nat Phillips, and to an extent Kelleher.

I think it's fairly inarguable that for young players to push on, actually playing games is vital - especially if you can get into a position to play week in week out. That's how you develop all the decision making aspects - which is Jones weakest attribute by a million miles. Physically and technically he's quite decent, but just missing the in-game experience and intelligence that you only learn by doing. Need only look at how much Morton has come on in this year on loan, or how much Elliott pushed on in his loan year, to see the difference it can make. He's got around the same league minutes (week in week out competition) just this season as Jones has gotten in the last 3 league seasons combined - around 2800 for Morton vs around 2500 for Jones (with most of those coming 2 years ago in the injury ravaged season).

I think there's a good player in Jones, and whatever level he ends up at, his best route to land as high as he can is to get out next season and play.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

Only way we get Bellingham is if he waits at Dortmund for another season. His contract position would mean that it would become a more realistic for us. Hopefully this does not impact on us addressing the midfield needs of the team this summer. This waiting forever has to stop.

Your right about composure but Gakpo doesn't seem to have much fire in his belly on the pitch, he looks to be great when things are free flowing & going ur way but i don't think he will ever take the fight to the opposition ,

Nunez has that in spades , i think its the reason fans will be more patient with Nunez & want him to succeed, It'll be interesting to see which player can find what they are missing, Nunez reminds me in Jota , can be awful at time but his will to win & fire in him means he can still score when playing poorly

• Advertisement
Advertisement