Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I see Unesco have stripped Liverpool water front of it's world heritage site standing with the building of Everton's new stadium being one of the reasons.

The UN’s heritage body concluded at a meeting in China on Wednesday that the “outstanding universal value” of Liverpool’s waterfront had been destroyed by new buildings, including Everton football club’s new £500m stadium.

The decision is a humiliating blow for the city and gives Liverpool the ignominious distinction of being only the third place to lose the status in nearly 50 years. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I'm not expecting much this summer. We have no real idea what way the club finances are but I cant imagine they're pretty with Anfield been empty the last 18 months. FFS have already outlined how super cautious they are with the club finances during these times.

I can see maybe a replacement on the cheap (or if we sell some deadwood) for Gini but other than that its as we are for next season.

I see Brentford have signed Ajer for £15m I wonder will Celtic now come in for Davies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Covid has not been kind, with the vast majority of clubs not having a pot to piss in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Not slow at all really two gone already ,

Shaq & Wilson played in the Euro's and are only due back from Holidays this week so then movement will happen ,

Origi will run down his contract we messed up giving him a new contract let the hearts rule the head there,I hope we have learned from it and get the most we can for Phillips this summer while his stock is high , he's great guy done outrageous well for us in our time of need but best for everyone if he goes now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The fact Phillips missed both practice games yesterday I would say he is on his way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I like Phillips too and don't mind if he stays but being realistic he has to see this as his opportunity to be a first teamer at a lower club and if Ben White does leave then Brighton would be a great destination for him.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Eventually found this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He's the same sort of player that Brighton are trying to get rid of in Duffy though... Potter seems to prefer the mobile, ball playing sort. (as do pretty much all prem clubs at the moment).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Viera is supposed to be interested in Kabak for Palace. Saying that if he's available for a cut price 8.5 mill I'm surprised he hasn't been signed by anybody yet.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Kabak would be a great prem club buy at the that price. Was really impressed with him once he got settled. Has basically everything in his game except quick sprint acceleration, but even without that he's still pretty mobile.

I think clubs are waiting to see if City & Chelsea buy Kane, Grelish & Haaland then that will start the real merry go round.

Previously it was the likes of Juve, Barca, Madrid and even Munich that started the merry go round and that's not happening this summer as the first 3 have no money and Muinch are happy enough where they stand.

Clubs looking at our players are holding off knowing Liverpool want to get rid of Phillps, Wilson, Origi, Shaq, Ojo, Woodburn, Karius and will lowball offers right up until the close of the window I still think we will probably get close to £60m for those players plus the usual 20% sell of clause on top of the £20m we have gotten for Grujic, Awoniyi & Grabara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Even the big money deals this summer so far are not creating a merry-go-round as such.

Sancho to Man Utd will just result in Mallen going to BVB. I can't see PSV spending big money on any teams from around the top leagues, instead they will try pick up a rising forward from Holland or a lower league.

Hakimi to PSG was big money also but Inter just used that incoming money to service debt and won't reinvest it into another big money signing from another top league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

how hard is this to find!

The Athletic's West Ham reporter is saying that the price for Bowen is set at a minimum £35m by the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

£35M is far too much, but I could justify £35m (£0.035, even if we are generous like Arsenal and chuck in an extra £1) 😃

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Has anyone figured out how to tag threads from groups so you can access it from the homepage?

I only come on here for this thread but as far as I can tell so far, from the homepage to get here I have to go: Groups -> Soccer -> This thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

This is my first post since the migration.

Having the soccer forum tucked away in groups, and not showing anywhere on the home page really hides it from everyone. Plus, having to click avatar -> bookmarks to see my threads is a pain tbh.

It might not seem like much to the devs/admins etc, but its enough to deter me from checking the conversation or engaging in anything meaningful. I just find myself quitting and browsing reddit tbh.

That said, I do keep coming back to see if they've fixed the issues. There's something about the forums in boards, and threads like this, that I'd miss. But if it doesn't improve soon I'm not sure how many will stick around, or how many new joiners the likes of the soccer forum will get. Who's gonna even see it?

Anyway, our year.

• Advertisement

I see there are twitter links to us singing Frank Kessie from AC

I think he is absolutely top drawer & can't believe he hasn't been linked with more of Europe top clubs,

Power & bags of energy ,

The lads having the craic in their off time.... 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It is certainly a bit of a problem, but I'm sure it is being looked at.

I find I'm having 2 tabs open all the time, one for Soccer and one for 'the rest'.

Slowly but surely I'm finding my way around the site. It will take a bit of getting used to and hopefully the 'bugs' will get sorted in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Agreeeing with most of this but I just can’t get into reddit at all. It’s not a great site like some sap was saying here before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

I find Reddit a bit closer to After Hours most of the time. It displays content far better than here but it’s all a bit random. Boards users haven’t comeback in the same numbers. This thread is very slow, even for the off season. Going to be hard to generate revenue from ads if nobody is home !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I like Bowen, he's quick, he's very lively, presses, good on the ball, scores goals. I somehow ended up watching a few West Ham games last year, he always stood out, only 24 so could very likely improve more. I would have I thought West Ham would want closer to 50m for him. But I'm not sure how he'd fit in at Liverpool unless he can be moved position as Mo is going to play nearly every minute he's available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,664 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Never could get into reddit. Too much to navigate through. I really miss the ' all posts by cjmaxx button here, they cut out a great short cut to threads i was actively in.

Users will be back when season starts. Summer is usually dead enough in here anyway.

By then you'd expect bugs and issues will be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Not yet, using the same method as yourself, it's annoying that it's not showing in my threads, I'm checking in a lot less than before, I find the site in general is less user friendly since the changeover, hopefully it improves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

If you tap your avatar in the top right corner, it opens a drop-down and you then tap the star button.

All your followed threads will be there.

I'm using web browser on my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

One click to get to soccer forum for me as it's one of my 'favourite' pages when using Google chrome. Surely others can do the same.

Yeah, I'm the same, I just open boards straight into the soccer forum and work from here.

Even for the other sections, it's one tap to 'categories', and every other forum is listed there. This update is definitely annoying for everyone with other work-flows for getting around, but in the meantime it's still reasonably navigable I think.

They made a total hames of handling the existence of the soccer forum though, simply having it removed from the Sports category. Plenty will go looking for it and find the feedback thread and make their way here that way, but I'm sure plenty also just see it's not there, and leave the site. They've been awful at communication in general, not making it clear that soccer appears under Groups... i've seen tonnes of people who already have access requesting access again (Toby for instance), likely not even realising that it's sitting there under groups instead of categories/sport. Should've just made a Categories/Sport/Soccer section, as that's where everyone would aim straight for, and put crystal clear instructions in there to lead them here.

Sky Sports reporting that West Ham want Phillips.

There seems to be a good few teams in for him at the £15m asking price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I think it's time to cash in now tbh....a decent lad who worked miracles last season but I think we all know he has no viable future at the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,664 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'm not so sure about that. Performed great last year and deserves an extension, if even for 1 year to see how Virgil and partner perform

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

He's shocking. Probably couldn't give him away at this stage.

In a world where Ramsdale is apparently somehow worth ~30 million, there’s a market out there for Karius. He’s a thoroughly average keeper, no more, no less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I would be in favour of keeping Phillips. Had a great season, what more could he possibly do?

There isn't really anything he can do... he'll never be fast enough to be a first choice player the way Klopp wants to play. He's at best 5th choice right now. I'd be in favour of keeping him until January just to be ultra cautious with Virg and Joe still not match-tested. But ultimately, Nat's 24, he deserves to be playing regularly somewhere and his stock will never be higher, so if he got a good offer I wouldn't begrudge him moving this window.

At that age, it's better for him that he goes, but it's also better for the couple of quality young lads coming through that there's some glimmer of hope at a spot in cup matches etc. Billy Koumetio to an extent, if he can sharpen up his reading of the game, but particularly Quansah who has the match intelligence, leadership, passing, and pace to really make it. And a local lad too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

What we would get for him now, we will surely get for him in January. Well worth holding onto until then at least, just in case lightning strikes our defence again.

Not necessarily… teams are trying to set up for the season now. Any Prem team who see him as a serious first team CB option now, will move on if they can’t get him now and sign someone else. And realistically there are only a couple of teams in the Prem that’ll be looking at him anyway.

Could easily see us getting less in January if we were trying to get rid at that stage - but that’s even the lesser point imo… more than that, we’d be hugely curtailing his options to likely stopgap roles to cover injuries somewhere in January. If the right move appeared for him now, where he becomes a proper first teamer somewhere, I wouldn’t begrudge him taking it.

I must have been watching a different Phillips to most or I'm less sentimental. He was solid to good, nothing more nothing less, he did a fine job. He's 5th choice and if push came to it and we're playing a big game I'd bet Klopp would prefer push Fabinho to CB if he could play Henderson, Thiago and another in midfield over Phillips at CB. He can likely get a 5 year deal off another PL team, setting him up for life and getting first team football, while Liverpool cash in at his likely peak value. We have four first team CBs and after the last 18 months, cash is needed.

He goes to a PL team likely starting, something that was a long way away 12 months ago and the club get 15m, everyone's happy. You sit on the bench, you become forgotten about and teams that where interested get someone else. The club had significant offers for Origi a few years ago, I'd say we'll be lucky to get half of the previous offers.

A lot of reports are saying we need to shift players to buy, and the ones we want to go, very few have multiple clubs interested willing to pay 15m.

I thought the Ox looked miles off it when he did get on last year, but I'm intrigued by this false nine role. When he's on it, I love his power and speed running at a defence from midfield or bursting into space. He's also good a receiving the ball with his back to a player so maybe he just took a while to get back up to speed and he'll thrive in a new role or in CM.

Or maybe it's just the off season, where hope and optimism run riot. Plus after the Euros, fans make such a difference to a game even on TV, I kind of got used to watching with no noise or fake noise while watching. This is probably the earliest I've been looking forward to a new season.

Phillips done well for us but he was always JUST getting by , he was performing at his absolute maximum & just getting the job done, he done himself proud & deserves credit but he is not at the level we need,

His inclusion also made Robbo & Trent have to stay closer to home & took away from our attack,

Its time to cash in & don't make the same mistake we made with Origi who we should have moved on after that Champions league final for decent money when his stock was at its peak ,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

I don't remember a player I've wanted to succeed more in the last 10 years.

I really loved watching him play last year. He gave everything and barely put a foot wrong despite never really playing with an experienced or settle defence.

Do I think he's good enough to be the first choice or even the first choice back up, no definitely not. But after last seasons performances I really kind of wish he was.

Hopefully he goes on to have a fantastic career somewhere and maybe pick up a few cups. If half the players we signed had his attitude and desire when they get on the pitch then we'd be much better off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Philipps isn't blessed with pace but he compensates with his reading of the game in front of him. In Klopp's thinking the player was behind van Dijk, Gomez, Matip, Fabinho and Henderson in terms of what the manager wanted from a central defender. Had Davies been fit to play we may not have seen Philipps in the team for the extended period that we did. Klopp didn't trust him when there were alternative options available and that is all that matters when it's the player's future that is being determined.

He was immense in games where he was up against a physical challenge, he was badly exposed against Real Madrid when the midfield failed to do their job. At the Premier League level he'll be a fine defender - I know West Ham supporters that rave about his performances against them and what they saw of him in the game against Tottenham. He can physically dominate an opponent provided they don't have too much pace and get to run at him, he's the type of defender that we missed over the years for the crazy games like Stoke City, Watford, WBA etc. Those games are few and far between now because there are few if any brute force football teams in the top league.

If he wants to hang around then he'll be available to do a job when called upon but his opportunities will be very limited. If he wants to play football regularly then he needs to move to another club and his value is never likely to be higher if the club are willing to let him go.

A move to another Prem team would surely be a good move for him and it would be great to see how he gets on elsewhere. But come Christmas, I'm confident there will be teams who have injuries at CB and would be very happy to pay the money for him then, as they could be in dire need. Not many clubs might be willing to sell a CB at that stage of the season, but we could be. Having seen his performances now, what would we have been willing to pay for him last January?

I suppose after last year, I would prefer to be extra cautious given the injury history of some of our CB's. But if he wanted to go now, then fair enough, cash in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Unless we are promoting a youth player to 5th choice, I'd still be concerned selling Philips. VVD is coming back from an ACL, Gomez and Matip can not be depended on, Konate is young and new and I don't want Fabinho every considered as a CB again due to the damage it does to our midfield.

From Philips point of view though, its never been a better time for him to move and financially 15m for the club for a player we wouldn't have been able to sell 12 months ago is great.

• Advertisement

Do we think Saul will happen , we badly need someone in the door to replace Gini

Be nice to get someone who can also play as a 6 as Gini covered there last season,

Advertisement