Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Agree, not following that social media excuse. To leave the club, teammates and staff that you supposedly love, because of a couple of cretins on social media is bollox. There’s a whole host of options on socials too for limiting replies and comments, so it’s not complicated to block the negativity. Even Robbo faced it before and closed his account for a while over it. Was all about the money/contract and will always be about the money/contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

£15m would be hard for the club to turn down for Phillips and for Phillips himself to go on and play regular first team football.

Also if West Ham pay that for him the club could be make a decent offer Bowen then as well.

Sheff Utd want Ben Davies as well so maybe a deal there for Sander Berge who was linked at the end of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Gini is a bit dim if that's true.

Social media is a cesspit. Nobody with a modicum of sense takes it in, or takes it seriously as the actual view of the fans.

It was about money, Gini. There's no shame in it. Just admit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm not sure they're entirely comparable situations... Utd fans complain about their owners not letting the club use its own money. They get thrown a bone every so often with a bigger signing - but that's not coming out of the Glazer's pockets, that's purely them allowing the club to occasionally flex its considerable financial muscle every once in a while. All while they allow the stadium to fall into disrepair.

We, meanwhile, have built a Champions League and Premier League winning team from a combination of good recruitment (from an analytics department that FSG put in place early doors) and big money moves where needed, whilst building a state of the art training facility, doing a huge refurbishment to the main stand, and about to get another one underway to the Annie Road end. And we've kept the heart of the team together throughout that time. I just find it hard to complain much tbh... they don't take any money out of the club, they back our loans so the club stays pretty much debt free, make the club more profitable consistently to stand on its own feet, and don't hijack any of the increased revenue, instead leaving it to be spent within the club itself.

The complaint of saying they're relying on Klopp, as if its a bad thing, doesn't quite make sense to me either... after all, it's not like we fell into some stroke of good fortune with the managerial situation, where we lucked out with someone who has by fluke turned out to be great. If you're at a financial disadvantage, the only way you can win is to be smart with all the marginal gains you can get. So they assembled a brilliant backroom staff, and went out and the very very best man available - who many thought would be out of our league - to give us the chance to compete without the same financial clout. Yes we rely on Klopp to make us be competitive - but that's why they went and got him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I would love it if we never signed a marquee signing ever again and kept picking up the likes of the front three we have now. Dream world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Go away Gini, you were adored, social media is full of spanners. Admit it, you felt you weren't offered enough!

Disappointed in those comments taught me was better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Yeah, just reading those comments. Don't understand what's to be gained from having a whine and a moan and criticising the fans? Dissapointing.

Is he that silly to fall for the ''pretend social media accounts of ''Liverpool'' supporters? There are 1000's of fans of other clubs with accounts claiming to be Liverpool fans, accounts they set up just so they can harass the players, and owners.

• Advertisement

And to be honest I'm sure there are also thousands of actual Liverpool fans who are just idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

He's acting the maggot.

Offical Wilson deal done £12m and a 15% sell on.

These are very fair points well made.

However, relying on Klopp, while not a bad thing because he and his team are awesome, should only go so far.

He doesn't get the financial backing he should.

I think FSG have to be careful here. There is a very good chance Klopp will leave at the end, or possibly even before the end of his current contract. If inertia in the boardroom means the team cannot compete with MC, and Chelsea, particularly if they get Haaland, I suspect Klopp will not accept his team falling back into the pack again. The frustration may be to much.

On the other hand, Klopp could be tempted to view the current squad as good enough to compete for the duration of his contract, leaving the next manager to rebuild, it would take years to replace all the players currently approaching their 30’s and gel them into a winning team. This is what happened to Kenny, and indeed with Ferguson, Madrid and Barca are now paying for not planning replacements over the past 10 yrs, for ageing stars.

Maybe, but he’s very actively said the opposite - that his last contract extension was so he has the time to transition into the next iteration of the team.

• Advertisement

Oh yea, totally. They ride jump on the band wagon when things are going great, jump off and throw rocks at it when things are not so great.

Reports in Italy that Liverpool had a €100m bid for Chiesa turned down (Pac)

Miss the pac emoji for post like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Good deal on both sides that is..

He is a tidy player.

Would love another top class midfielder coming in. Really struggling to think of a player we can get that would be that player..IE realistically get able

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

To be fair, both Barca & Madrid have been buying players a lot of players for future team building over the last decade, it's just that they are buying the wrong players. Barca more so.

Barca spent big money on u23s over the last few years - Alcacer, Andre Gomes, Semedo, Malcolm, Lengelet, Firpo, Trincao, nearly all for over £30m. Nearly all of them have been shipped out of the club on big losses. They were trying to future proof but got it all wrong. And that's before you get into the likes of Dembele, Coutinho who still are at the club but then older players who just didn't make sense like Griezmann, Paulinho, Neto etc. They also shipped out Arthur for Pjanic which was just a shocking move.

Likewise Real Madrid signed a lot of u24s, for admittedly a lower spend than Barca, but with similar problems in not signing players with quality. Dani Cabelos, Mariano Diaz, Jovic, Mendy don't look to be at the level at all and then Militao, Vicinius Junior & Rodrygo still have it all to prove. They also allowed Llorente, Theo Hernandez & Hakimi to leave the club at the same time.

For Liverpool to not make the same mistakes, they have to make sure the players they sign between 17-25 are the right players. This summer is very important as is next. Next summer is when a lot of players hit 30 and their peak. Elliot is signed and is very future proofing, but the likes of Jota type singings are needed. Konate is one, ready to build a future long term CB pairing with Gomez and Trent alongside them. It's CM and CF that a younger profile of player is needed to keep the trend going. Small tweaks every year can help more than one massive over haul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I don't see Klopp changing formation next year so it will be 4-3-3

With that the starting midfield is more than likely Henderson-Fabinho-Thiago.

Keita, Jones, Milner are back ups. Also Ox, who is being trained now to be a Firmino replacement.

Who do people realistically see a being a CM to be brought in?

Curtis Jones improved a lot last season, what are our expectations for this season from him?

Regarding Keita, Jones and Milner as midfield back ups.

Crying out for additions here tbh.

Shaq has to the club he wants a new challenge and the club told him they won't stand in his way.

That's another out the door at the £12m to £15m range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

That was also the case in the last transfer window. Hertha Berlin wanted him on loan with an option to buy. Shaqiri turned it down because he wanted a move to Serie A apparently. There were stories around March that both Shaqiri and Origi were told to find themselves new clubs. There has been speculation about Roma, Lazio and Napoli signing Shaqiri but a move to one of those clubs is unlikely.

Napoli are after signing Politano from Inter, they also have Insigne.

Lazio have signed Anderson from West Ham.

Roma have Mkhitaryan, Pastore, Coric, El Shaarawy, Pedro and a bunch of others.

I think he will still be in the Liverpool squad when the transfer window closes.

Listening to the BBC football daily podcast the panel were clear that the would ship Fab out the door to keep and give Hendo the contract he wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Jaysus. That's a no from me, and I love Henderson.

Plus, the coaching staff seem to adore Fabinho. No chance they'd let that happen, I think.

Anyway, we've already let one midfielder walk in Gini. Don't think we need to let another, tbh. Its more a case of Henderson having 2 years left already and FSG not keen on giving a massive salary, plus extension, to a 31 year old midfielder who's been injured a decent amount in recent seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

That's the stupidest thing I've read in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Well that would be like shooting ourselves in both feet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Why would you waste your time listening to podcasts if that's the type of horse manure they are churning out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Thats the dumbest thing ive heard, Fabinho is one of the best defensive midfielders in Europe and proved his importance to the team last season. He's still only 27 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

That podcast is hit and miss for me a lot of the time. It is so overly pro all things English, it gets embarrassing at times. They have some good discussions from time to time but the subject of English managers and English players making their ascent to superstardom gets silly.

Oh it was clear as day epically over the last couple of months with the Euro's it was almost unlistenable being England centric and it was because he was English and the club should be loyal to him and reward him with a new contract as he has been loyal to them.

I am kind of like cop this isn't football 30 years ago where a player needs the final contract to pay off a mortgage the club shows there loyalty to the players by making the multi millionaires these days in return for their service.

Yes I'd love to see Hendo stay on and retire at the club however If he feels he or his agent can get a better deal at PSG or somewhere like that for him fair play and away you go lad thanks for being the captain that brought number six and number 19 you go out a real true club legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Just don't say afterwards it was the fans on social media who forced you out!! 😂

Klopp saying VVD could play a few minutes against Hertha on Thursday,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Utd doing some tidy business this summer. Too bad they've a headless chicken at the wheel.

Although it does bring something into the back of me head. Do we have anyone in the pipeline? Even the rumours have gone dry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Considering Gini, Wilson, Grujic and it looks like Shaq will all have left I would imagine we'll bring in a couple of midfielders anyway. No idea who though?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

We're doing another building toward the future Summer. In other words we're ramping up buying academy players who we can sell for €12-15m later on down the line.

Sancho on a widely reported 350k a week and Varane on a reported 400k a week. Only City, Chelsea and PSG can complete with those kind of wages anymore.

Expecting Liverpool to be signing players on those kind of wages when Salah and Thiago are the two highest paid at the club on 200k is very wishful thinking.

Gini is getting something like 300k a week at PSG, Liverpool can’t compete with those wages they have to be clever in the transfer market and that takes time and great scouting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

You left United out of that list seeing as they're paying Pogba, Sancho, Fernandes all hefty wages. So that's United, City and Chelsea who will all pull ahead of us this season, leaving us to duke it out for 4th place against a Leicester team who've strengthened well in the summer.

It's tidy, but there is no way anyone bar them, City or PSG are competing with those wages. I can't even get mad.

But we must get reinforcements.

I know Klopp tends to like a small squad, but we need a CM, and someone else to back up the front 3 ... and that's at the very least.

My worry is that he thinks Curtis Jones and a fit Hendo might cover Gini leaving, and I also worry that the rumour of a change of position for Ox might be a way of improving depth in the front 3.

I hope I'm extremely wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Sure who knows we might be fighting relegation as well!!!!

I'm not tooooo worried about the Ox thing just yet - i could be that we're not strengthening up top, but there's also a reasonable chance that it's just cause we're gonna be starting the season with Bobby only just back from holidays, and no new buy will be up to speed yet by then either, so Ox is a pragmatic solution for those first couple games as he's there for the whole pre-season. When talking about it, he was still saying that he sees himself as a CM and that's his focus, but is more than happy to do this Bobby-role thing when called upon.

Now, I'm sure I'll be getting more nervous about it if we get close to the end of the window and there's no word of another forward, as we really do need another proper viable option to give us 5 strong choices for 3 starting positions. There's always Origi and Taki, but it doesn't seem like they're viewed as serious choices, especially if Ox is the one being tasked with filling the Bobby role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I'd be more worried if Utd signed a decent manager tbh.

I think both FSG and Klopp have earned our trust...to have us consistently competing at the top level is a decent achievement imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Big time. Outside of the once in a century run of games we were the best team in the league in my opinion.

I've faith they'll sign a midfielder, and hope they sign a forward but if they don't I'll still be hopeful of a better overall season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Have a feeling that Oles luck has to run out this season but also decent managers are thin on the ground. Signing Varane and Sancho is a real signal of intent though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The likes of City, PSG and even Chelsea are playing Fantasy Football, even United who have had is it 3/4 of a Billion GBP of debt thrown onto their shoulders are barely in the real world - they'll eventually find out the realities of it I suspect, but for now are kicking it down the road.

Do we want FSG to pile up mountains of debt on the club? Leave them open to the vagrancies and moods of an owner using them as a play thing or worse as a sportswashing vehicle.

Some might not care, but I think we're doing OK with FSG. They're looking to make a profit sure, but not a fast buck, and we're in a much better place than when they bought into the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The longer Ole stays there the better, they have one of the best squad of players in the league right now, if Ole does go, it'll be an attractive job for all the top managers. If they get a half decent manager they'll be serious contenders for all the major trophies, even with Ole in charge they are in decent shape

We definitely need to strengthen in midfield and attack, should be ok defensively, ideally get cover for TAA, but, not a priority. We don't need to break the bank, but, do need to invest in order to keep pace with both City and Chelsea in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I've only seen Sancho being on £350k a week being reported originating from one source and it would be a strange place for you to trust. But sure, provide a link there.

That seems the most widely reported figure, no? Seen it on plenty of the usual outlets like the Daily Mail etc, but I think Fabrizio Romano was the first to report it in The Guardian when he reported personal terms having been agreed a few weeks back; https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jun/23/manchester-united-increase-offer-for-jadon-sancho-to-73m

He seems as good an original source as any I'd have thought...

• Advertisement
Advertisement