Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Could you?

Bit of a long-shot considering they only scored 5 or more in 8 league games when they all played.

(I answered my own question as you wouldn't).

Chelsea will get turned over pretty easily I'd imagine at Utd. I can't see Utd bottling their fixtures tbh.

Maybe, on the last day at home Chelsea will try a bit v Newcastle . 6 points from their last 27 doesn't inspire confidence though !

Brighton might give Newcastle a game Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I passed on my 2 tickets as I'm going to the Katie Taylor fight getting itchy feet now, flights into Manchester return are only 92 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I booked the flights weeks ago, got them for less than 40, it's trying to convince myself that 200+ to sit in the upper Annie is justified.

There's a flight at 8pm. No idea if it's sold out. Potentially could still see the game, and make it to Taylor fight? Super Saturday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Loved this moment after the game

The bond between manager, team and fans has been incredible since Klopp came.

😁 you've tempted me into looking now, theres a 18:45 for 20 quid I got that after the forrest 3pm game, be at the 3 arena for about 8:30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Jones now showing that we shouldn't write off players too early. If Jones can turn it around the so Nunez definitely can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭steinbock123

What are the words of that Bobby Firmino chant/song? I can never make them out .

He's been really good the last month. Fabinho has improves too and he's been poor by his standard's for a while.

The whole team seems re-energised. A few tweaks to the system has worked wonders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭hynesie08

There's something that the kop wants you to know, the best in the world is Bobby Firmino

Our number nine, pass him the ball and he'll score every time.

Si senor, give the ball to Bobby and he'll score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Brighton getting a result at Newcastle would be massive for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I was definitely one who thought Jones just wasn't good enough. I'm still not 100% sure of him but he's making one hell of case the last few weeks.

I've no worries about Nunez i think he'll come good next season in a more settled team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Fair play to Jones for taking the opportunity. I just hope that this won't have an effect on signings.

Still need 3 midfielders imo. Especially someone to cover for Fab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I struggle to get tickets outside of those rip off hospitality packages. Is there something I'm missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Leicester are a shambles, but that was as good a performance as I've seen from us this season, and for one particular reason.

Our press was back - it was coordinated and suffocating for pretty much the whole game, particularly after the 2 goals. it shows that once we get that right Trent, VVD, Fabinho all look back to normal.

that was the calmest I've been watching a Liverpool game all year, bar maybe Bournemouth at home.

Post edited by SlickRic on

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

I thought that Jones was most likely to be a useful squad player for us. Thought his ceiling would be below first team regular. Would love to be wrong on that! At the moment, he is looking like the perfect Ox replacement without spending a penny.

I have Nunez pegged as a potentially world class forward in the next year or two. At times he looks on the cusp of exploding. He gets so many chances. He's fast and strong. I'm hoping there will be a moment when it clicks for him and the goals start to flow. Van Dijk at the end of last season said he rated him as one of the toughest forwards he's played against in his career. Klopp has compared him to Lewandowski who had a slow first season at Dortmund. We could all be wrong of course and he never settles at Liverpool, but I'm still hopeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

My thoughts exactly. I'll be delighted if Jones proves me wrong though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

See real pointing at jude again, I don't know why but after klopps comments last night I still think a deal is still on the cards, just don't buy it we will walk away with all the flirting.

Would love to see caicedo brought in more than any other player, I think Jones knows with incomings jes playing for his future. With Morton and Clarkson getting minutes and improving week on week we have enough to rotate with 2/3 signings.

Would love to see ndicka come in too but talk has gone cold on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Kinda alraedy forgot about Bajcetic if I'm honest, I think he'd be very interesting to see in this roaming Trent system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I forgot all about Bajcetic!

IF we don't finish Top 4 so be it but taking 28 points from 30 to finish is more important. I have to admit I was worried about Klopp, he seemed unable or unwilling to change things. I know the midfield was a problem but the entire team were struggling but now we look reinvigorated. Few key signings and we will be ready to go again.

I'm excited again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Jones has always had bags of ability but he looked very light on the ball and just overplayed it far to often.

He seems to have strengthened up and he's moving the ball much father now when it's called for. It shows he's actually learning which is a big thing.

We 100% need two starting CMs this summer and another CB. Then it depends of Klopp will move TAA to CM or what happens with the fourth signing, either a RB or another CM.

Henderson should be taking up the Milner role next season, periodically starting but mainly coming on with 20 minutes to go to see out a game.

Sadio expected to leave Bayern, that didn't go to plan for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Need 2 cm starters. Henderson and Fabinho will be fine playing/starting once a week. Its having to depend on them every game is the worry as they haven't got the legs anymore.

Trent has been very good in his new role. Jones like everyone has really stepped up but he is another who seems to always seems to get a weird injury when he starts to show some promise.

Would rather caicedo instead of MacAllister, he's been filling in rb lately with Brighton to which seems a perfect match with Trents new position.

Once again I'd be all over Joao Cancelo for the right price, can play both fullback positions and cover elsewhere too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,482 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Sell Nunez, try again for Mbappe on a free in Jan .😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭McFly85

Have been very impressed with Jones recently, seems to have come on a lot.

Klopp said in his post match presser yesterday his big improvement has been his speed in decision making. It was always his major issue, taking 1 or 2 touches more than needed and killing momentum. It’s great to see that he’s worked on that.

3 midfielders would be ideal but I won’t be unhappy with 2 if they can go pretty much straight into the starting XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Why? He was a great player for us, gave his all. It was the right time to go for all parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I like Cancelo, very good going forward, but he is actually a worse defender than Trent! You could not possible play both him and Trent in the same side...

City want 60m, apparently. I don't think that's the right price for us!

Btw all quiet on the "this is literally the same as Klopp's last season in Dortmund" crowd once again. Maybe next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I have to admit I was worried about Klopp, he seemed unable or unwilling to change things.

By his own admission, he has been very slow to make changes/adapt to the situation of the squad. He recently said that he believed that if we stuck with what the players were familiar with, then things would come good. Due to the short pre-season and the mini injury crisis in midfield, he didn't want to make the TAA tactical change at the beginning of the season. Hearing that made me think that the man is still too much of a perfectionist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,097 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Jones definitely deserves the credit he is getting right now. And maybe deserves some more if anything.

I'm not gonna sit here and lie and say that I always knew that he was capable of being this all action attacking midfielder, but I didn't write him off completely. I still remember his mature performance against Ajax in the lockdown season, Porto, Brentford, Man City, Man Utd last season. They were all great performances. He has also has his bad ones - WBA / Notts Forest. That Notts Forrest game was his only start in months and he looked really lost, really devoid of confidence in between a myriad of random injury problems.

He has come back much stronger now and this role has helped reclaim that confidence and he is playing that way now - that sort of hybrid 10/CM/LW role. It's where he excelled underage playing under Gerrard in the academy. He has really stepped up to the plate to negate the injuries to Thiago & Bacjetic, even keeping Thiago out of the tram for a while. Elliott has been benched ever since his re-introduction to the team. Ox & Keita are not spoken about now and Henderson was allowed to sit out one game so Jones became the only other dedicated CM in the team aside from Fabinho. Still kept a CS and won.

You can tell that Jones has a bit of a swagger about him. We haven't seen that for 12-18 months really until this recent burst of form, whatever Klopp has said to him. But it is working. So fair play to both of them. He still seems a bit nervous in the interviews, so maybe he was just playing within himself for the last 12-18 months, too safe, overthinking too much. It can happen to young players. He got a random eye injury last year and it derailed him completely. This year it was some random stress injury that the medical team could not explain.

I think Jones has his swagger back because he is able to operate in his natural space. On the left Robertson has always marauded forward and it worked well in combination with Mane. However there wasn't the same level of understanding with Diaz, they each did their own thing and there wasn't the same link up. There was no room for Jones to play his natural game with Robertson on the left. Since TAA's role has changed, Robertson has had to adopt a deeper position to balance the defence and that has provided Jones the opportunity to be the extra left sided player in the opposition's half. Now he gets to show his natural game and his confidence has grown, he looks switched on and hopefully he can build on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What about if you include a goal in such a victory by one of the other team? Such as the situation last night.

We didn't look as likely to capitalise on a fairly demoralised Leicester as we would have done when we had better attackers.

Hardly an unusual statement for a team that has struggled more for goals this season especially when two or three exceptional games are excluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Seems to be out of favour with Bayern, City and Portugal. Very much doubt that he's a target. Plus I guess all these sides can see something in the analytics about him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I always felt Jones would be a decent squad player for us to keep around, but nothing more, plus home grown, not on big wages and can play in midfield and attack ,but, really delighted with how he's playing now, hopefully he can continue like this next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just realised that Curtis Jones scored more goals last night than Richarlison has all season.

That truly warms my heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Timber to Liverpool doing the rounds. Honestly makes sense. If trebt moves to midfield permanently, 2 good midfield signed is perfect.

MacAllister + Mount (Ideally Jude, but thats gone) and Timber is solid window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If we're only going for 2 midfielders, then i'd want Mac Allister and another more defensively minded one. Mount is a good player, but all his strengths are going forward, which we have a few of already (Jones, Elliott, Carvalho, and even Gakpo when played deeper). Our real weaknesses are a lack of energy and combativeness in the deeper midfield spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

• Advertisement

Mount is a pressing machine, that's why he's on the wanted list.

Yeah, I get that - he’s obviously a good player and if we were adding 3 midfielders I’d totally understand and be quite happy. He adds something. But it’s a thing we don’t need as much as other things.

Even if we don’t get a dedicated 6, we need a high energy 8 that runs around a lot, puts in challenges in our half, tracks runners, and wrestles back control - basically a younger Hendo. That area of the field has been absolutely killing us all year with neither Fab nor Hendo able to run with consistency anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I was certainly not one of them but in Klopp's last season in Dortmund didn't they put a run together in the last 10 games or so and end up qualifying for Europe?? So identical to his last season at Dortmund...unless I'm mistaken.

yup, and it's funny, all these same talking points throughout the year were repeated in our bad season 2 years ago too. It's like there was collective amnesia from Klopp bashers, as all the same stuff was trotted out again, predicting 'the end of Jurgen'. As you say, each time in his career there's been a dip, he does actually demonstrably right the ship again, whether thats at Dortmund of Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

From my brief research I'm all in on Ugarte. Could be another Mascherano.

• Advertisement
Advertisement