Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Perhaps there is an under the radar player that the club has an eye on but I think the understudy for that role is likely to be Tyler Morton next season. If Klopp is confident that having a full pre-season will sort out the likes of Fabinho then I don't see us spending money on a player for the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd be grand with an under the radar option, as long as they can do the business in the starting lineup. Wouldn't be the first time we went cheap and did well. I'd be really worried about us doing much of anything if we don't add significant energy to the middle in the starting lineup though. If we were only buying one player next window, that'd be my focus above everything else.

Fab's form is improved, he's better on the ball, but he's still entirely lost the mobility and athleticism he used to have. I don't see that coming back, and it's a huge loss. Doubly so on the days Henderson can't bring his old intensity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

100%. I don't think it's collective amnesia, I think some people just bitch and moan about everything as their default and just can't envision things getting better in their lives until it actually smacks them in the face and happens. They will always exist and they will always bitch and moan about anything and everything and never fully enjoy their existence on this planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Not sure where two midfielders will do is coming from

we need to replace Ox , Keita and Milner and need an upgrade on Fabinho and Henderson , I also think Elliot and Jones are not good enough , we need 7 -8 midfielders over next 2 seasons to have any chance of taking on City again .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Who would you suggest as 2 homegrown players to replace both Elliott and Jones? Mount being one I assume?

Jones and Elliot are good squad players.

Jones is really improving too. Elliot had the massive set back with his injury. I'd definitely give him at least another season.

Both are probably on relatively low wages. They won't be going anywhere.

In terms of minutes on the pitch, Keita (290), Milner (785) and Oxlade-Chamberlain (334) combined have played less than 16 league games this season. During his brief stint in the team, Bajcetic (529) played almost as many minutes as both Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain combined.

If an 18 year old youth player is capable of contributing as much as two of the outgoing trio, it's not difficult to foresee that two more senior players would contribute significantly more. For example, Mac Allister has played 2,634 minutes in the league for Brighton.

Bajcetic & Jones have contributed more in the league than Keita, Milner & Oxlade-Chamberlain.

A revitalised Curtis Jones (919) along with two additional players would add a level of depth to the midfield that we have never had under Klopp. The issue then becomes, will Klopp rotate the players or will he continue to run the preferred midfield into the ground as has happened before. The end of the 2021/22 season demonstrated that there was a rotation policy for the midfield, that bodes well for next season if we get the players.

Having two additional midfielders that are almost always available to play will have a positive knock on effect by being able to rotate the players in midfield. Bajcetic sustained his injury from being overplayed. Fabinho and Henderson have experienced the same thing in the past. Last season, Thiago and Fabinho were patched up and rushed back into the lineup because they were needed, meanwhile Oxlade-Chamberlain sat on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

2 midfielders and a RB/CB I'd be happy with that. Mount I like but I have a feeling poch will convince him to stay.

I'd prefer two defenders along with two midfielders. There have been several reports that both Matip and Phillips are leaving which would leave us with three senior central defenders plus Rhys Williams. In terms of depth, that's a 2020/21 season level of scary scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya that'd be a good window. Would have us covered where we need it and allow rotation of those who need it most.

• Advertisement

You can't factor ox and keita into depth in midfield when they never play. They are non entities in the squad. I think hendo will be taking the milner role.

Jones is in the equation now as a proper option, Bajcetic too.

So we could have

Mount

Alexis Mac

Fabinho

Henderson

Thiago

Jones

Bajcetic

Elliott

Trent probably as a midfielder

That's alot of options I don't see where 3 midfielders are needed unless it's another young prospect.

We need a CB who can play as a RB too definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Nonsense. Fabinho has had a full season and he hasn't been sorted out. Pre-season isn't some sort of magic wand that fixes broken players. Besides, all it ever does for us is lull us into a false sense of security that our midfield is fine... until the day after the window closes!

If Fabinho ever does regain anything close to decent form, he's not getting any younger/faster. Bring in a competent younger player now who will provide competition or replace him, even if its just a 12 month stay of execution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

like Coutinho , grass not always greener

bet he wishes he was still here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

1 new midfielder who stays fit, will contribute more than Keita, Ox and Arthur ( who have basically contributed nothing this season) plus cover for Milner too, so even though we are losing 4 midfielders, 1 player who stays reasonablely fit will in effect replace them all. A second midfielder would then be making us stronger.

This season was worse than 2 seasons ago which was a direct result of injuries to all our CBs an area that should have been strengthened before that season and definitely should have that January. We were top at the start of the new year, so had we strengthened our CB options that January instead of ripping apart our midfield we might even have retained the title. In the end we benefited from both Leicester and Chelsea stumbling badly to finish 3rd. This season we have been dreadful all season until the last few weeks, Klopp deserves credit for turning the season around in the last few weeks, but, he also deserves some criticism for letting it get as bad as it did before really taking action.

I think Henderson will be the elder not playing as much, he's 33 at the start of the season and has some serious miles on him. He can do a job anywhere on the pitch too. You can see it the batteries drain fairly quick now.

You also have to factor in the decline of Fabinho too, maybe he can regain form over the summer. Hopefully he can he's only hitting his peak in age, his drop off in form has been staggering.

I agree regarding Henderson taking the Milner role next season. The point I was making is that while we are losing 4 midfielders, 3 of those 4 (Ox, Keita and Arthur) contributed next to nothing this season, Milner is the only one that made a meaningful contribution from those 4 leaving, so 1 of the new midfielders should cover for all 4 combined. Any additional midfielders will give us more depth in the squad than this season. We might end up with less midfielders numbers wise next season, but, availability wise we might have more depth as Arthur, Kieta and Ox were really only making up the numbers this season.

If we really wanted to keep the club would of offered a suitable contract offer, they didn't. His situation was no way in comparison to Coutinho. Mane had peaked it was only downhill from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Ox hasn't been a midfield option for years, he's been a Salah backup if available at best.

• Advertisement

He played in central midfield against Man City only six weeks ago. The vast majority of his appearances last season were in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

not buying that at all that he peaked , he wanted on par with salah's salary and the club didn't wanna be paying £400k a week for 2 players so choose to call his bluff id say , he was offered an improved contract but not to his liking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,093 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Speaking of midfielders, and he was mentioned above, but Coutinho will probably be at Anfield for Bobby's last game.

Klopp told him to stay and 'they will build him a statue'. Coutinho will get to see first hand just how much Bobby is loved by Liverpool fans, and what he could have had.

I do hope that Milner gets a good reception too, and that it is not all about Bobby. Milner has been a great servant to the club too. Stayed longer, and contributed more, than I originally thought he would back in 205. Won it all, and paid a key part in every one of those trophies too. Milner's deserves that acclaim from the home fans IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

Lads can you name a top 3 in no particular order of players that left us and went on to achieve something better with another club. 2010 or newer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Whatever way you look at it, he's had around 6 good months in the past 3 seasons. Was way way below his normal level in 20/21. Aas poor for the first half of 21/22 - and was replaced by Diaz as a result. Was then excellent for the second half of the season played central after winning Afcon, but has since reverted to the previous poor form at Bayern. He's definitely trending downwards.

• Advertisement

Probably Sterling, Suarez, and Mascherano as the top three I guess.

Arguably Aspas as well, consistently becoming one of the leading scorers in Spain, and won a Europa league over the next few years when we weren't doing much

A good few had more personal upturns in their careers too I guess, like Luis Alberto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I've never really understood the schadenfreude for players that have left and the happen to be unsuccessful elsewhere.

I mean, the club usually get a decent fee for the player. And if Coutinho hadn't left for Barcelona, I don't think the club would have had the funds for the players required to win the big trophies.

There are a lot of variables for a player wanting to leave. Personal and professional etc.

And Liverpool haven't always been the most professional in trying to keep players either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I think it's crazy to hold animosity towards the likes of Gini or Mane just because they left, but Coutinho attempted to sabotage our Champions League qualification to force a move and that doesn't sit right.

Besides, a large part of being a supporter is revelling in the downfall of others, petty as that may be 😁

I know we have players who forced their way out of their former clubs too and I don't begrudge their fans for booing etc either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

To me it kinda looks like the answer to our lack of midfield creativity problem has been staring us in the face all along. Trent can play every type of pass from every position on the pitch. He is essentially our KDB and you would never ask KDB to chase wingers for 90 minutes, if Pep did that from tonight and continued playing KDB at RB the whole world would think he is crazy but no one bats an eyelid when Trent plays there because it is what we are all used to and it has worked so well over the years.

There has long been debate about the merits and pitfalls of moving Trent into midfield and after having seen it myself for a month or so I wanna see alot more of it. He played midfield in the youth set up so essentially learned how to play RB in real time in real competitive matches as an inexperienced 18 year old so transitioning back to a position he is already familiar with with many seasons as a star of the first team should be a piece of cake by comparison. Sure we would lose his ability from out wide but it is far easier to find a decent crosser than it is to find someone with Trent's ability in midfield. He has, dare I say it, an even better passing range than Thiago in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I think a lot of it is the manner in which they leave, or where they go

I'll happily admit to really disliking Coutinho, Sterling and Torres after they left. But I still love Xabi, for example

Sadio was a lot closer to the second category. I think he made a mistake with the whole "you'll find out after the final" shenanigans but he gave his all until the end and left respectfully. I'm disappointed it hasn't worked for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

None of Trent's passes lately have surprised me because I know what he's capable of, he's England's best passer since Beckham.

What has surprised me is his control and awareness in midfield. He's always so calm and aware of everyone's position, when put under pressure he's shown some really clever touches and turns to not only retain possession but usually to dribble through the press and initiate an attack too. Granted he's also lost the ball in these positions a few times too (he's been successful far more often than not), but he's been in the position a month, those are the nuances he'll pick up with time and we'll see make the right decision at an even higher rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I wasn’t too happy with Mascherano leaving at first, but in his debut season at Barcelona he won the Champions League by beating Man United in the final and dedicated the win to Liverpool fans.

He’ll always have a special place in my heart for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Crikey I know Milner is old and has been around a long time, but they were probably still kicking woolly mammoths around in 205!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

He came on late on when the game was done, he hasn't been a serious midfield option in yonks, the last run he got in the team was when Salah was at the African cup

I can never understand that either, in Coutinho's case had we not sold him, there's no way we'd have signed both VVD and Alison, they were the final parts to all the success that followed. Coutinho's move to Barcelona may not have worked out for him, but, he still won a CL with Bayern (including a goal against Barca, when Bayern humiliated them). I can understand why St5erling is not liked as he forced a move through after Liverpool had given him his big break, but, I can see why he left, he's had massive success since, wouldn't have minded if he rejoied last summer. . Wasn't happy with Mane's comment before the CL final last year, but, sorry it hasn't worked out for him at Bayern.

The only former player I don't really like is Owen, chose to play for United when he could have played for any other team, don't hate him, just don't care for him, there is no scenario in which Fowler for example would have signed for United.

A few places seem to be popping up with stories about us going back in for Tchouameni, since Real are moving for Jude.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-linked-surprise-71m-aurelien-26658125

I know it's nothing to do with us, but I've just Toney got an 8 month ban (albeit two are off-season) for gambling offences. Seems pretty crazy, doesn't it?

I've not seen any suggestion of match fixing or anything, that would be totally different. If it just betting on matches, it feels like a very over-righteous judgement given they still happily allow gambling sites to advertise everywhere around the match

• Advertisement

He got off pretty light in comparison to some of the precedents set. It's fair enough imo, the rules are exceptionally clear. However you look at it, it's better that players don't have any opportunity or incentive to use their influence on the industry they're in to impact results for betting purposes. There's an awful lot of ways this could manifest even beyond betting on games they're actively taking part in. I'd rather there was no betting at all, but I can understand the hard line on players betting within their own industry.

I do however think that there should be absolutely no punishment for bets on stuff off the field - any protection the gambling companies have should end outside of the 90 minutes of a match. The stuff of lads getting punished for telling a buddy they might be moving club is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Got off lightly for me as well.

I'd say Brentford will keep him too. Other clubs might let a lesser player go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It worked for Suarez and Sterling but probably the only ones I can think of.

Yeah probably not. As someone mentioned above, it's been a part of footballer culture for so long.

In terms of the ban length, Sturridge got 4 month for just talking to his mates about a potential loan move that didn't even happen - his buddies lost their bet. So 8 months for hundreds of bets actually placed looks lucky enough in context, especially with a good chunk of them being off-season anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Would love to see City give Madrid a drubbing, 3 nill with 10 mins left, hopefully they score a few more.

I said it over and over he is a pure footballer, just like Gerrard. He can't play a conventional role he wants to be everywhere in the offensive play. I would love to see what we could achieve with a whole season of him in the middle. I never want to see him chasing wingers again.

First signing of the transfer window is going to be a 14 year old!

• Advertisement

Advertisement