Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I see Torres is the latest former player to go into coaching as he is now a youth coach at Atletico.

I'd trust Klopp with no money over Solskaar (or similar) with a billion. My point being, a top manager trumps spending big on players all day long.

Pearce is reporting that Elliott is seen as Shaqs replacement by Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Due to the Premier League rules we need to offload a non-homegrown player to introduce another to the squad of registered players. Wijnaldum was replaced by Konate and as it stands we are at the limit of 17 non-homegrown players.

Alisson, Adrian, Karius, van Dijk, Matip, Robertson, Tsimikas, Konate, Fabinho, Thiago, Keita, Shaqiri, Minamino, Mane, Salah, Firmino, Jota

Signing the likes of Tom Heaton, Scott Carson or Wayne Hennessey as a free alternative to renewing Adrian's contract would have given the club another option. Karius is in the last year of his contract and won't be leaving. Minamino was wanted by Southampton but the club turned them down. Shaqiri is the only listed player subject to rumors.

If Shaqiri leaves then the club is in a position to sign a player like Saul Niguez or Frank Kessie if they are indeed transfer targets.

The issue also explains why the club is linked with Jarrod Bowen as an alternative to Harvey Barnes for the forward role.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Even more reason we should be signing more players, if we're making that much money off academy players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Great United might get out of their CL group this season, they're just noise while Ole is in charge. City and Chelsea are the ones to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Wouldnt mind signing Bowen.

Cancel Karius' contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Failed twice in Europe last season, may go for 3rd again in group to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Is that a hard limit or can you have more than 17 but only list 17 in your PL squad with the remainder seeing out their contract or only registered in Europe?

• Advertisement

It's not a hard limit but there are very few clubs that can afford to have players on the payroll and available to train but not play if they are needed.

The UEFA rules about homegrown players are more restrictive. At least 8 players registered in the list of 25 players must be homegrown, of which at least 4 must have come through the academy system of the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

I'm not that worried about United's spending tbh but IF they get a proper manager in at some stage they will be a force again with the squad they have assembled. I read they have the highest net spend in world football by a distance since 2018 and to think some of their fans think the owners are their problem. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'm chill enough about it, it's inevitable United will win things paying the wages that they are offering. That's regardless of Ole being there or not.

All we can hope as SlicRic alluded to is that we look after our own business. It's the fear that we'll let the others pass us by because of lack of spending that kills me.

Derby who have only 9 first team players are letting Gerrard's cousin Bobby Duncan leave now and it looks like he will end up in the second division in Denmark, There is a young lad whose career path really went the wrong way when his agent go in his ear.

Actually it's only 8 players now after Wayne took out one yesterday in a 50/50 tackle.

It reads to me that there is money there for the right player if available however there isn't many available this summer and to sign a non homegrown player they would need to clear out a few players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

I thought I read last year that Liverpool's total annual wage bill was higher than Man Utd & Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

In Liverpool's last accounts they had to pay bonuses for PL win, CL win and a CWC so the wages were heavily stacked.

I'd imagine they will drop back down in the next set released because bonus payments will be well down.

United pay ridiculous wages. You pay DDG stupid money, same with Pogba and for the last few years got feck all value for it. We're ye not still paying a huge chunk of Sanchez wages last year as well?

City pay their players peanuts. Those poor players have to survive on sponsorship money to make a living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Liverpool’s wage structure is based on bonuses. So it was very high in the PL winning year. Last year gone will be much lower. Base wage is reported as comparatively low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

The fact Juve don't even own Chiesa tells me this is pure BS. He's on a two year loan (first year has just finished) from Fiorentina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Chiesa is following a load of the lads on Instagram, surely as good as done

Thiago and Shaq have arrived at the training camp.

Looks like whatever signings we do this summer will have to be homegrown unless we can sell Shaq & Origi, signing Adrian to that one year contract seems like a mistake now when they could have signed a homegrown journey man goal keeper as 3rd choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

For all intents and purposes, they do own him - it’s a two year loan with an obligation to buy. They did it this way because he’d have blown out their FFP if he was on the books as a long term asset up front.

So Fiorentina can’t sell him because of the existing agreement with Juve. In theory, what would probably happen if Juve wanted to sell him on is they’d pay off the full debt owed to Fiorentina at the same time as we’d pay them.

Not that it matters, since we’re not buying him anyway, and they’re not selling.

With Shaq’s public comments about wanting a new challenge, and the club having said yes to letting him go if a reasonable offer comes in, surely he’ll be out the door anyway? Should be no shortage of interest in him, he’s proper quality in the right team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

About 40m higher, awful lot of bonuses apparently. They had to pay bonuses for things over 2 different seasons in one set of accounts seemingly which would seem strange to me but what do I know? Big club world cup bonuses negotiated into contracts.

Couldn't just be that they pay players more than is let on, have a manager and backroom staff on huge deals and they probably have to pay some bonuses too. 60 odd million in bonuses to put them below the clubs they say they can't compete with seems like a very high amount to pay to me.

You can literally just go look at the accounts of each year…the figures are literally all available if you want to look. Swiss ramble do great work covering it all if you fancy a more concise view.

Anyway - they all pay a fckload of money on wages. It’s all just relative. Man City are off on their own at the top, while Man Utd, Chelsea and then Liverpool were all fairly close to each other in that order. Liverpool’s rose sharply with those 2 big wins (I’m not 100% sure of the breakdown by year and which year the CL falls into though - I’ve a feeling they rose after 18/19 with the CL, and then rose a further 5% after 19/20). Anyway, with any big incentive gone from LFC’s wages, they’ll drop, while Chelsea and Man Utd will pull firmly clear into 2nd and 3rd going forward, for obvious reasons (CL win and huuuuge signings at Chelsea, and bigger contracts at Utd.)

The accounts for next year will show Chelsea very close to City I’d say.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Advertisement

The Champions League was won on 1st June 2019.

The PL win was secured before the accounts year end of 31st May 2020 so the bonuses for that win would have been payable at that point and accrued for in the accounts (a common accounting policy) but may not have been paid until after the season closed.

If you don't understand something you could ask instead of going on a mad tangent and trying to to disrupt a thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Some heap of codwoddle in that post,I wouldn't even know where to start to pick it apart but sure if it makes you feel better then fair play to you

Shaq will more than likely leave alright and probably at the €10m range, Origi is a strange one you would think he would want to go and find first team football especially when he is seeing Benteke getting into the national team ahead of him. There doesn't even seem to be any online gossip or rumors about any team even considering look at him.

I could see Southampton come back for Minamino if Ings leaves and that might open the door there and Edwards can put on the hard sell for Origi to go there as well.

Karius is another one that will leave even for a token transfer fee at this stage.

17 non home grown players are allowed in a Premier League squad and right now we have the full 17 so sell those four or even three of them that opens us up to buying a few more non homegrown players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

With the ignore list reset I forgot about all the unofficial LFC thread mods we used to have, picking and probing on any post where a slight to the 3 times european champions might be perceived.

Larouci has joined French team ES Troyes on a 5 year deal.

Liverpool get about £250k training compensation for him as he turned down a contract and left for free. If he had moved to and English the club would have picked up a couple of million in compensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Varane went to United looking for 240k a week, and they're like no no no, it's 400k take it of leave it, final offer!!!!!! I much rather the way in which Liverpool is run, United in recent years has become a bit of a retirement village, big wages, easy life, and no real team motivation, yes you have an odd player wanted to win win win, but then you have people swanning around on 400k a week like Pogba, not bothered one day, or the next, maybe next week he'll run his socks off, maybe not, either way 450k in his bank every week, and no way will he sign a new contract, so it's thanks for the memories, and all the money, and I'm walking in 5 months for zero.

Bit of a shame how all that worked out over the past year, has a lot of talent. Hope he does well with them.

ES Troyes are a Man City feeder club - their pre-season friendly was cancelled last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I read the Swiss Ramble thread on the 2019-2020 results and there is no mention of the previous year's CL win and PL win being paid out in the same year? In fact the wages rose 5% from the year before. Obviously United got rid of a couple of big earners and were nowhere near Liverpool's level so it's money well spent but I don't get the defensiveness around it.

I still find it strange that they were £40m odd more ahead of United in wages when all I read is about the obscene wages United are paying. Almost like there's not much truth in the reports 😯

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Heart wrenching news

It is with great sadness and a sense of immense loss that we can confirm that Andrew Devine passed away yesterday at the premature age of 55.

Our collective devastation is overwhelming but so too is the realisation that we were blessed to have had Andrew with us for 32 years since the Hillsborough tragedy.

We welcome the conclusion of the coroner, Mr Andre Rebello, made today at Liverpool Coroner’s Court, that Andrew was unlawfully killed, making him the 97th fatality of the tragic events that occurred on April 15, 1989.

In the intervening years, Andrew has been a much loved son, brother and uncle. He has been supported by his family and a team of dedicated carers, all of whom devoted themselves to him.

As ever, our thoughts are with all of those affected by Hillsborough.

We would ask that our privacy is respected at this sad time.

Jesus. Is it Justice for the 97 now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

He was injured in the crush which led to a severe brain injury, being wheelchair bound and needing round the clock care. It's not a stretch that the injuries caused that day led to him dying at 55 and living a very different life.

I didn't say it was a stretch. I simply meant that 'justice for the 96' has been the phrase for many a year... Is this to change that?...

Looks like someone got the third kit already.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There's a name I haven't seen in a while. Many years ago, I used to post on a different Liverpool forum where Kyle was a member. He's big into his LFC gear and tries to get his hands on all of the prototypes, alternative versions etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Really has gone very quiet on transfer news in.

With Salah, Firmino, Mane and Jota it's hard to see big money being spent on a forward with Taki and Origi as back ups.

When everyone is fully fit our starting 11 can compete against the other big 6.

I know it's a wait and see regarding Gomez and VVD coming back as good as they were but the club has sensibly given them the time to fully recover and we now have Konate.

Sticking with 4-3-3 the rotation of the forward 4 as I said is hard to see a big money forward coming in.

Our starting midfield this season I can assume to be Thiago, Henderson and Fabinho. Will we spend big on another CM this window pushing Keita down to fifth choice and reducing Jones game time?

I think a decent RB cover is a necessity over replacing Gini or another striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Replacing Gini has to be a priority. We have 2.5 starting mids as all of Jordan, Jimmy, Naby and Ox are unreliable at this stage while Jones still has some way to go. It's a long season, with plenty of games for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

If ye want transfer talk, have a good giggle at this! Pogba to Liverpool!

https://twitter.com/AlexisBernard10/status/1420670863943380992

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think we all know, with the first XI fit and firing, we are as good as anything in the league back to front but they're is question marks over the form of Mane and Firmino, fitness of Henderson. Players that can't stay fit like Ox, Keita can't be given chance after chance.

We've lost a guy in midfield who will give you 100% and is never injured, we have to replace him at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

But was Thiago to be Gini's replacement for midfield.

It was known he was going in to the last year of his contract. It gave Thiago a season to bed in while Gini would be there still to provide consistency.

I don't think we would have seen so much of Gini last year if we didn't have the injuries that we had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

It has been a frustrating summer for Jürgen Klopp. He has been told he must sell before he can buy and those departures are taking longer than expected. With Liverpool keen to shift Xherdan Shaqiri and Divock Origi, another attacker will be required before the new season. Versatility will be important and for that reason Dani Olmo fits in perfectly for Liverpool. Capable of playing a variety of positions in midfield and attack, he could solve a lot of problems for the team. He has the workrate to match, ranking second in Europe’s top five leagues for most possession won in the attacking third (41).

https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2021/jul/29/premier-league-transfer-target-club-summer-window?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Just realised its just over two weeks till the 21/22 season kicks off.

Hopefully there are deals about to drop but id say most deals will run close to the 31st cut off.

Still just over a month to get the players they want. Loads of time!! We will be fine till then but not for a full season with what we have.

Im very confident that the plans are in place to add quality to the squad..just seeing those plans through takes time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I watched him during the Euros and thought he'd be an excellent addition also.

Advertisement