Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

I think we should start utilising Elliot more in that role

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

The only thing he shares with Mo is a left foot. Not a like for like player. Elliot lacks pace and the ability to make a run in behind or take a player on like Mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Would Gnabry count as homegrown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I think so, he was at Arsenal from the ages of 16 to 21.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

FWIW (probably not very much at all), L'Equipe are reporting we're interested in Kephren Thuram of Nice.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

lol.

This summer is going to be great. We're going to be linked with everyone.

Thuram is almost certainly going to leave Nice in the near future though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

And to add to that,linked with manu kone as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

No thanks. No reason other than his given name. Yuck.

Romano saying this morning that Leipzig are the club who want Carvahlo. I don't particularly want to lose him as he has serious potential but maybe him going to Leipzig could pave the way for Garvidol then I'd get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

A few years ago, German clubs swooping and taking young English kids seemed to be quite popular and the German clubs seemed to be called smart every time. Generally, those players did not seem to have a proper pathway at their their own clubs, or else the German club was just stealing a march on the English clubs circling. Bellingham & Sancho the standout names, but Musiala is gonna be a star at Bayern. Even our own Nat Philips impressed somewhat in his half season.

But there are some misses too.

Lookman struggled after joining Leipzig and has only started to come into his own a few years later in Italy.

Ampadu couldn't game at Leipzig.

Reece Oxford had a couple of poor loans across the league before eventually being a regular at Augsburg.

Callum Hudson Odoi played 20 games this season for Leverkusen but has not impressed at all.

Reiss Nelson was at Hoffenheim a good few years ago and seemed to do ok, but never really kicked on in his career as a regular starter for Arsenal.

I'm not so sure that pathway is a fruitful as some would suggest. The misses outweigh the hits I think, even though Dortmund will be rewarded handsomely for the chances they took.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We are going to be linked with everyone this summer, especially midfielders and we are going to miss out on some players due to not being in the CL. Will just have to wait and see how it all plays out. The absolute minimum is 2 midfielders and a CB, ideally we need 3 midfielders and a CB who are not injury prone. Get that and we can look forward to next season optimistically. Whoever we sign can we at least stay away from any known sicknotes, don't care how good they are if they are unavailable for large chucks of a season, they are feck all good to us.

Hudson Odoi is a strange one. He was flying in Germany, wasn't there talk of his move being made permanent and then he went back to the sh1te how at Chelsea from whence he's become mired down again.

There is a talented player in there, I wouldn't necessarily blame his lack of development in him, rather on the mess at Chelsea and him coming and going at the wrong time. Seems like his confidence has taken a battering.

The achilles injury didn't help but I'm assuming that signing a 5 year contract at £120,000 a week at age 19 killed his hunger. He had played less than 30 games at the time. Chelsea ruined him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Or go with a real 3/4/3 with a new left sided Cb comming in . Robbo covering back to make it a 4 at times and leave Trent in the middle permanently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

The effectiveness of Trent's new role is he drifts from RB to wherever he sees space. Rather than move him to the midfield permanently I'd much rather one of the midfield signings be someone who has the athleticism and reading of the game to drop back and cover for him when he goes wandering. A younger Henderson would be ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

I think I'll keep an eye on this thread over the off season, but I just can't handle the Daily Mail sports section now, it's just total nonsense. Of course they know it's nonsense, and they fill it with nonsense because people click on it and read it.

So I'll avoid the Daily Mail but will check in on the BBC football section for confirmed deals and the most solid of rumours/negotiations.

Basic rule, if you're looking in the Daily Mail for truth and sense in any subject, you're looking in the wrong place.

Football is no exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

The Liverpool FC subreddit has a tier of who to trust which seems valid.

I usually head there for rumours as they cut out the crap mostly

Liverpool are losing a massive influence in the dressing room.

• Advertisement

I think he should have been kept around but realistically how many games would he have played next season? The wages might not have justified his role in the team and hopefully they'll be spent on at least three new players who can stay fit for 30-35 league games a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

This seems like a good news story. Though not selling it in the first place would have been better

I do feel the the club have been behind the curve with the women's team, when they really could have led the way with a bit more initiative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Should have had the ladies team at the new state of the art training complex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Yes, absolutely. I was guessing that was just down to lack of space there. If not, it was a poor decision

I think they just took their eyes off the prize. I still think investment in the women's team a few years ago would have been a shrewd business move, but maybe there's a degree of hindsight bias in my thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think we all have that hindsight thing alright - but at the same time, we really should've taken note of what Lyon were doing. After PSG took over the French league, Lyon diverted just a bit of funding to the women's side, and become absolute top dogs in Europe very quickly. Whatever about having seen that possibility before them, we really should've seen that opportunity after they did it, and at least become a significant power in England.

Feels like we're so far behind now that it'll take more serious investment to catch up to the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Wolfsburg, Barca, Lyon etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Bit o' Micky anyone?

We are probably gonna be linked with heaps of Bundesliga players because of Schmadtke...

I'm pretty sure that guy's name cropped up in here ages ago as someone who might be worth a punt.

Five EL wins from the last ten years for Sevilla. Hopefully we can have a serious run at it next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Advertisement

You could say that.

Romano (I know he's a bit of a spoofer) is saying Kone will cost €35-€40m and we'll be looking at him once Mac Allister is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Mount off to ManU for £60m so that's one name we can cross off the list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I feel we should have went for him at that price. He was unreal a few years back and I think Klopp would take him further that that.

With only 1 year left on his contract it is a lot of money to give,plus reports he will be on 250k a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Sevilla winning another EL with a lot of bad decisions going their way in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

I find it strange that any player would choose United over us. I know they finished above us and in the Champions League and we are at a low ebb, however Klopp has shown consistently that we can have Liverpool compete for both the Premier League and Champions League. United have not competed for either competition since Ferguson left. There are still question marks over their takeover and there is a lot of work to do with over hauling their squad. They also limped over the line in the last few weeks in comparison with our winning run. I think similar to the covid season, United finished above us but you would expect Liverpool to better positioned than them going into the following season. I think the main reason a player would choose United over us right now would be wages and in that case, we don't want that personality type in the club. I think Ten Hag has reached par with United in getting Top 4 and winning a trophy, maybe a double. But getting them to the next level to be competing for the League and in Europe is a whole other challenge. Maybe I'm just biased though!

• Advertisement

Strange decision to sell in the first place, it's likely to cost more now to buy it back and will need to be refurbished no doubt. Also shouldn't the women's team have been catered for in the new training complex, so that everyone is under the one roof so to speak. It's likely to cost more to keep both facilities running rather than one. The women's team seem to have been almost ignored over the last decade, they were winning and competing for titles around 2013/14, and it really wouldn't have taken much investment to keep them there. The fact they dropped into the second tier and took 2 seasons to gain promotion shows how neglected they were. Also around the time United set up their women's team back 5 or 6 years ago a huge amount of players and staff jumped ship to United as they were fed up with the how poorly run the Liverpool women's team were at the time and felt they were completely isolated from the rest of the club. Most of the successful women's teams like Chelsea and Arsenal are fully integrated with the club, Liverpool seem to have kept the women's team as as separate entity. United were extremely late establishing a women's team, but, seem to be going about it in the correct way, something Liverpool could learn from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

That is one way of looking at it alright. The reality is UTD have finished above us in 2 of the last 3 years and Ten Hag seems to be going about things in the right way, which is something that could not be said about any UTD manager since Fergie. There's currently serious questions marks over us at the minute too, we were awful for 95% of last season with glaring weaknesses in both midfield and defense. There's a lot of talk about rebuild this summer with 3/4/5 new players coming in and that in itself leads to uncertainty. There's no guarantee we are going to be any better off this time next year. Klopp with the help of Michael Edwards brought us great teams and success over the last few years, Salah, Bobby, Mane, Fab, VVD, Ali, Robbo etc were all brought on board to help us get there. Obviously some of those key guys are still there but with miles on the clock, the true test is can we rebuild with equal quality and get us challenging again. That unfortunately is not guaranteed...so there's not a huge amount of difference of where we are at compared to UTD in the grander scheme of things at the minute, there's big questions marks over both of us going forward and he may have looked at UTD and liked the idea of working under Ten Hag and was sold a better outcome.

Put it this way, if he chose UTD over us 2/3 years ago you would be definitely questioning his mental state. Not unfortunately that's not the case.

I would find it strange that any player would chose us right now over United. Whether we like it or not United are on the way back up, there are question marks over their takeover etc., but, they can offer better wages, CL football and are prepared to spend in the transfer market, Ten Hag is doing a decent job there in sorting out the mess he inherited, getting rid of the trouble makers, and players not up to it, still has a lot to do, but, going in the right direction and importantly will be backed in the transfer market so they are likely to improve again next season.

Liverpool still have some issues over what the owners are actually going to do, have shown that they are not prepared to match other top teams in both the transfer market and in wages, plus no CL football next season- that's a massive mark against us and will mean we are going to miss out on a lot of players - I'd still be worried we could be gazumped by a CL team for Mac Allister. There has also been a lot of upheaval in the background especially regarding the recruitment team, which doesn't help. Klopp is by far our biggest selling point and his standing has slipped during the last year, so perhaps players are unsure if he can turn things around.

Unfortunately right now United look a better proposition than we do, but, I'd be optimistic we can reverse that by this time next year, but, only if we sign the right players this summer. We were in a great position this time last year, but absolutely squandered that last summer, we are paying the price for that now.

Klopp has said a few times that he only wants players who want to play for the club. Not players who want to play in the CL only, or play for money.

If Mount wants to play in CL right now, then so be it. I'd be confident that Liverpool will be there next season again, especially with 5 teams qualifying from England next season regardless of winner. But crucially here, I'd back Liverpool to actually make a proper run of it in terms of trying to win the thing. I wouldn't have any confidence in Man Utd doing that next season. Does Mount want to play in the group stage in year 1 or the knockouts in year 2? Of course there is a chance that ETH will have them competing in year 2, but that is speculative whereas Klopp has a proven record or competing. ETH has yet to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I honestly think the whole ‘United are on their way back up’ stuff is overblown. Ten Hag has done okay. Done well in the cups and alright in the league, helped by little competition for the CL spots - 3 teams who qualified last year having an absolute mare of a season the following year is practically unheard of. They got a few absolute pastings in the league as well.

I remember the talk in here just before we played them at Anfield and you’d swear they were one of the greatest teams ever assembled just because they were having a comparatively good year. But that game showed that when we get our act together our ceiling with Klopp is far higher.

Honestly, there is nothing there so far that I’ve seen from them that makes me think they’re anywhere close to being a team that can get 90+ points and compete for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Soem talk of unrest at Bayern for Goretzka, if available he should be right up top of our midfielders list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

He really would be the perfect signing. Sadly, he has City, United or Real written all over him, maybe even Newcastle now.

His salary at Bayern isn’t something we’d be likely to match I fear, let alone exceed which is what he’ll be gunning for.

Ten Hag inherited an absolute mess, and will take a few windows to get rid of all the dross at United and bring in the players that he needs. Crucially they made CL this season and will be backed in the transfer market, so if it doesn't work out, he only has himself to blame. They did get 75 points this season. While I don't see United winning the league especially while Pep is still at City, they will be much more competitive than they have been. The fact is they have finished above us in 2 of the last 3 seasons ( one of those with Ole at the wheel).

It's true that Liverpool and Klopp have done it before, but, Klopp has yet to rebuild a team and I wouldn't be that confident of getting 90+ points again. Klopp will not get the same financial backing in the transfer market, plus not having CL is a massive blow. No CL and not having the financial backing of our rival clubs are massive factors in trying to sign players, those 2 factors can't be ignored. Added to all that other clubs like Newcastle and Arsenal will now be competing for players we would have normally been looking to sign, in the past players would have signed for us over both of those clubs without even thinking about it, we now find ourselves in a situation where these players now have other options, and we don't look as attractive a proposition as we did last summer, that was the time we should have strengthened, but, the club weren't prepared to fix the obvious weaknesses in the squad. That's not a good look and it might be a factor in potential signings thinking twice about signing for us.

I really don't have an issue with players choosing other clubs especially those in the CL over us, we all think Liverpool is a special club, but, fans of other clubs think the same about their clubs. The club or Klopp are not going to admit it, but, signing the players they want will be more difficult because of missing out on CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

With Coady not being retained by Everton, I wonder if he might be an option for us. Seemingly available for a snip (~5 million), and we could probably do with 2 CBs in if Matip and Phillips leave. If he came in along with a high quality younger player, we'd be pretty well sorted at CB then. Another home-grown body too (and club-grown, for the Europe requirements), a good character, and a local lad. Be a good addition to be able to rotate in the EL while still fielding a reasonably strong team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

I keep hearing posters state that "utd finished above us twice in the last 3 years" as tho that is some sort of achievement by them or something. Those league positions were far more down to us and how we played than Utd and how they played. They were quite poor themselves both those seasons. If we hadn't had 2 terrible seasons those two years where they finished ahead of us then yeah I would get your point but we were rubbish and alot of teams finished ahead of us those years, Utd just happened to be one of those.

Mac Allister for less than £60m as well would mean the three for less than the rumoured fee for Bellingham before the crazy £150m was thrown around.

I'd love Bellingham but these three lads being linked help the team and squad so much more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement