Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

So it’s official, “we’re selling Phillips this summer” is the new “we’re signing Carlton Cole”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

We signed Matip on a free, he'll probably leave on a free. I know it's not that simple but I just feel that's how it will play out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It maybe wouldn't be a bad idea to cash in on Matip now and get another solid young option in the door. He still misses a lot of games - and coupled with both Joe and Konate being more injury prone these days too (and Joe being consistently poor at CB), a more dependable body with some talent as an option would be nice.

I don't think Rhys Williams should even be in the conversation as an option. He's clearly not fancied, and tbh he was a liability when he played for us, one we just about got away with. He's slower than Phillips, and not as good on or off the ball either. Would have someone like Quansah head and shoulders ahead of him.

Phillips deserves to be allowed to go properly start his career, so I think we should let him go, along with Matip most likely. Bring in a good young player who could be viewed as Konate's longer term partner, and elevate Quansah to 5th choice and i'd be happy enough really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Alexas MacAllister is apparently doing a medical tomorrow. There's also strong rumours of signing both K.Thuram and Kone. Getting 3 midfielders in at the start of June would be swift shrewd business.

Would love another defender. Possibly someone who can play both LB and CB. Then call it a day and start preseason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think letting both Philips and Matip go this summer and bringing a solid young player (22/23) who can be trusted to step in if required would be a good idea, Matip and Phillips fee and wages would pretty much balance the fee and wages of any new CB signing ( unless we're going for the likes of Gvardiol, which I doubt), also if we get 3 midfielders in, Fabinho could also cover CB if required. Would Sepp Van Den Berg be worth holding onto as cover for CB and full back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think Shalke want Sepp on loan again next season. He missed most of this season with a bad injury but played when fit. It might be best suited for all parties to let him go on loan again for development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

I can't wait for McAllister's first misplaced pass and subsequent pool career being written off.

It's going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

100%. Fecking donkey, should have bought Bellingham or brought Gini back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Very happy with the Alexis signing, touch of Modric too him, very calm composed midfielder. Good price (not that I care), perfect age, prem proven and no injury history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

the sadder thing is, all of us already know the 2/3 posters that willing be waiting for their moment to stick the knife in!

They probably have the posts saved to their clipboard so they can save time typing it over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

It must be noted that a few of the - shall we say - " less optimistic" posters had been been relatively quiet during the last 10 or so games of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’m presuming they were just in awe of the team and they’ve been rendered speechless by our slightly improved performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

This is getting a bit mental and OTT now - people keep posting shi1t like this more often than some posters criticize Nunez.

Every new signing doesn't get "written off". It's rare we've had one so expensive, perform so poorly that he ends up being 6th choice and doesn't really look like they fit the team to be frank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Most people are reasonable enough - but there were a few who last summer, and winter, had nothing but sweeping statements of failure about all three of Nunez, Carvalho, and Gakpo immediately. Like, some players will work out, some will not, but any grand statement after a game or 2 (or 15 minutes in some cases) is nonsense.

Those same posters were saying Jota should be sold early in the new year. Also saying that Ramsey was a waste. Elliot has had the same treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Trying not to get ahead of myself but McAllister, Thuram and Kone as additions to our squad would be a serious upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Hand up, I gave out about Gakpo for well over a month because he didn't look great after the first few games. Possibly because the whole team were rubbish at that stage. I'm starting to warm to him now and I'm big enough to admit it that I might have been a tad hasty.

I haven't really decided one way or another on Carvalho but I'm fond of Elliot as he's an actual fan, regardless of who he plays for. I hope he has a big future ahead.

I'm a big fan of Darwin though and Diogoal is my favourite player since Lallana left.

But what does it actually achieve writing the likes of Gakpo off after a few games or posting after every game about how he's a waste of money etc?

I think the scouts and guys in charge of recruitment know more than us plebs.

Gapko wasn't great in the first few games, was actually quite poor and I think the fact we needed a midfielder more urgently than a forward player at the time probably added to the frustration of how poorly we were playing at the time. I'm not sure anyone really wrote off Gapko, as any player should always be given at least a few months to bed in especially if coming from overseas.

Also last summer both Ramsey and Carvalho were hailed by some on here as great signings and were going to add so much to us this season, when the reality was they were both signed for the future and were always unlikely to contribute much this season. I didn't really count them as proper squad players, they were fringe players only going to get the odd game here or there. I wouldn't write any of them off yet, but, they need to be given time and not be expected to be world beaters straight away. Nunez did OK this season, but, next season he'll have no excuse, so needs to be getting end product to justify his place in the team/ squad, I'd be hopeful he'll still come good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I never said anything about writing someone off. I'll support them as long as they pull on a red shirt but Gakpo took a lot of my frustrations at the time as he didn't look like what we needed.

I don't know why anyone could have an issue with Jota.

The oft quoted year long dry spell was punctuated by a summer, world cup and serious injury.

His numbers overall (nevermind performances the last 10 games) tell you he's our next likely highest goalscorer if he stays fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Ndicka's contract with Frankfurt is expiring soon.

23 years old, left sided CB. Would be good replacement for Matip.

Tap in merchant saying deal done at £35m.

That leaves plenty of funds to get other midfielders in. Would it be mad now to see two more plus a CB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

35M for a World Cup winning midfielder....yes please 😁

Watched the Messi world cup documentary that was on BBC last week (it actually didn't feature Messi at all, focusing moreso on the backroom team and squad)...Mac Allister came across as a modest, grounded, level headed fella so hopefully he hits the ground running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I would wait for official confirmation of the signing from the club before getting excited. I am always reminded of the Willian transfer where he had his medical at Tottenham before Chelsea swooped in to sign him. I will not lie that signing him for only £35m is some deal, but until it is confirmed it is just that, speculation that could not be true.

• Advertisement

Liverpool love doing transfers in that 35m-45m sweet spot over the last 10 years. The Klopp era we'll call it.

Mane

Ox

Salah

Fabinho

Jota

Konate

Diaz

Gakpo

McAllister

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

I have a problem with Jota. Far too many games he shoots directly dead centre at the goal. If he just adjusted his technique to go left or right of the keeper, he would score far more.

The last 10 games are a bit of a anomaly for me. Mostly home games and we were iffy to say the least away which has been a problem all season. Only for the run we went on in those games, even europa league would not be achievable. Still delighted we got that far but a huge step up is required in the new season.

Mac Allister is a great signing but we need more. The clear out has begun.

Even to just show how much that price range is used, this is a neat graphic. Only senior players are counted in this, signed for a fee and McAllister is not included.

35m is a ridiculous price if true, I'm shocked we had a free run at him for that price unless he said only Liverpool/Klopp I want. Kind of player Man City would pay to stick on the bench.

Only 24, will only improve with better players around him, really exciting signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Makes sense he'd want to join us, the team is clearly full of talented players but crying out for a great midfield. He's got full reign of a midfield with some of the bets forwards in the world in front of him.

With City he'd ride the bench and maybe get some starts out of position.

Bellingham deal agreed with Real. The Athletic are reporting a fee in excess of €100m.

It would have been great to get him to Liverpool but we needed more than one midfielder and spending most of our budget on him would have been madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

By the looks of things, Liverpool could acquire an entire new midfield for less than the Bellingham transfer fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,874 ✭✭✭hynesie08

There's like a 70% chance I imagined this, but did I hear the Bellingham deal comes with a yearly wage increase, cause if I didn't imagine it, I'm happy we didn't get him, that's a bad precedent to set.

£35M would be the base price. It was reported in Argentina a few weeks ago that the clubs had agreed a deal with a low fee but included achievable add-ons that would bring the total value to almost £55M.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

For the fee quoted and the price quoted for Alexis I think we should of tried to get him, he wanted liverpool so perhaps he would have accepted lower, I'd imagine there is a release clause included, think we missed a trick there personally

Is it not being reported as us simply triggering a release clause though?

• Advertisement

I'm not reading anything into talk of release clauses. Brighton had a valuation for the player, clearly Liverpool have structured the payments to meet the requirements. The reports in Argentina repeatedly mentioned that the negotiation between the clubs was about how the payment would be structured to meet Brighton's valuation.

It's a very specific criticism. I can't say I've noticed, the spurs goal for example was placed perfectly but obviously not much point picking one instance.

He's a 1 in 2 player for us since he arrived.

I'd agree we didn't play great in last 10 games and scraped by in most cases but I don't think that is any reflection on how clinical he was on that run.

Who knows… without the existence of a pre-world cup agreed release clause, that fee seems to not make too much sense in the context of a key player in a World Cup winning side, with their international midfield partner already gone for ~100m though.

The Guardian and others are going with the low release clause angle anyway;

Alexis Mac Allister will sign for Liverpool from Brighton, subject to a medical, after agreeing a contract understood to run to June 2028. Liverpool are to pay the buyout clause in the Argentina international’s contract and will then turn to other targets to continue their midfield rebuild.

Mac Allister is due to have a medical in the next 48 hours. The buyout clause in his contract, signed weeks before he went to the World Cup, is significantly less than the £60m that has been mentioned. That deal has two seasons to run, with an additional one-year option for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Mac Allister is a good signing. And at a great price if £35m is true. Press resistant; good passer. Clever. But he's not the fastest or the biggest. I don't see him as a game changer, personally. That said he probably starts ahead of Hendo and Thiago, for reliability and fitness reasons respectively.

I don't think any one midfielder will be at our budget tbh.

I'm glad I'm not involved in the negotiatons because just the addition of fresh, decent options has me excited. I'd be taken to the cleaners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I want some leaning.

"Probably" starts ahead of Henderson and Thiago, if he doesn't start ahead of them two, then there's something wrong; Henderson will be a squad player next season, taking up the Milner role, coming on to close out matches and filling in to give guys a rest. Thaigo will be injured!

Sancho got 350k a week when he moved that was the benchmark for Bellingham he wasn't accepting less, I said it all along. That would put him close to Salah, the club were never going to give that to a 19 year old. If you gave it to him you'd have other players looking for new contracts. A proven talent like Salah justified breaking the wage structure for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Henderson and fabinho start the season, new signings will be gradually brought into the midfield in my opinion. Klopp will want to dictate their movement and press for the most complicated positions.

I mean, usually I'd agree.

But I don't see the two (hopefully three) quality midfielders we buy this window sitting on the bench.

I think one will have to be in from the off.

Not only that, Fabinho, Hendo and Thiago just being fit on matchday 1 is not guarantee.

I'm a little excited now (though wish we'd done some of this last summer)

• Advertisement
Advertisement