Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtags

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

soc wrote: »
    We used the 4 airtags to hide our now 8yo birthday presents around the house over the weekend as a modern day treasure hunt. ;-)
    She was delighted to go hunting for the presents with the phone and was well able to locate all presents using the direction arrow only (no noise alert) with no difficulty. As she found the presents, I selected the next airtag for her to locate. We were using an IPhone 11 pro

That sounds great. A use of modern technology to do an old school activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

After trying to buy three different types of AirTag keyrings from Amazon, but each time the order didn't go anywhere despite the product being "in stock" at the time (see post above), I managed to place an order for these on Saturday, and they arrived today:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B093BTWNTQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They seem to hold the AirTag fairly securely; I don't think there's much chance of it accidently popping out. Not sure how robust the silicone will be up at the keyring part long term, but we'll see. If a tear starts at all in silicone, it tends to get worse. At least the AirTags are operational now.

554662.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

I might try the flatten option if I get a second one.

Drill hole:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT6mwE6YMDw

Make it half the height to fit flat in a wallet :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rHyAAkf5tE

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

ozmo wrote: »
    35% of my iPhone 8 battery battery today used by "Find My background task" :( that's after a reboot and Bluetooth disabled... only since I registered my tag...

I hear some people have successfully drilled a hole in the tag near the top for a keyring.

Trust Apple to get you to pay extra for the keyring hole...

Who needs headphone jacks in phones, standard usb ports in laptops, ethernet ports in desktops or keyring holes in key finders... so yesterday :)

I haven’t used my iPad much this week and Find My background activity is now chewing up battery when the iPad is idle. 15% over the last 10 days and up to 100% over night. My battery dropped about 12% while unused over the last 24 hours with Find My responsible for 88% of that.

5uspect wrote: »
    I haven’t used my iPad much this week and Find My background activity is now chewing up battery when the iPad is idle. 15% over the last 10 days and up to 100% over night. My battery dropped about 12% while unused over the last 24 hours with Find My responsible for 88% of that.

My phone is down to 34% - and its not 6pm.
    20% was used by the “Find My” task. Cannot get a day on a battery anymore.
    Im going try disable my participation in the find network - see if that will help.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

My phone is down to 34% - and its not 6pm.
    20% was used by the “Find My” task. Cannot get a day on a battery anymore.
    Im going try disable my participation in the find network - see if that will help.

IPhone 8 - Updated phone to 14.6 - disabled bluetooth - disabled participation in Find My Network
    - tried tag is beside phone - tried tag is far from phone(another house) - nothing helps.... loosing between 5% and 15% of total battery a day for air tag (background task - without going into app)

Removed "Air Tag" from my list of things to track - and battery life back to normal :(

Is this another ploy to force an upgrade to latest phone...:( it just might work.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

IPhone 8 - Updated phone to 14.6 - disabled bluetooth - disabled participation in Find My Network
    - tried tag is beside phone - tried tag is far from phone(another house) - nothing helps.... loosing between 5% and 15% of total battery a day for air tag (background task - without going into app)

Removed "Air Tag" from my list of things to track - and battery life back to normal :(

Is this another ploy to force an upgrade to latest phone...:( it just might work.

Very strange. I’ve 3 Airtags and an iPhone 12 Pro Max. and the battery usage (for the “Find my” app) over the past 10 days is only 3% and 2% in the past 24 hours. I’m on iOS 14.6 and the Airtags are on firmware 1.0.276

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Just an update on those silicone tag holders I got from Amazon (above).

They are fine, but I've been finding them a bit bulky and long - it dangles down hitting my knee when the keys are in the ignition of one of our cars. The other day I had my keys in my pocket and when I took them out, the AirTag was still in the holder, but the battery cover was off (loose in my pocket), but there was no sign of the battery.

So I decided to get the Belkin ones from Apple. Much more robust and also neater. It's solid plastic, and the AirTag locks into it, so there's no way it can escape or come apart. You can get it with a keyring or lanyard, but the cases themselves are identical, so if you have your own keyrings, the lanyard version gives you a bit more versatility now or in the future. We've to on sets of keys, one tracking a handbag and one in my camera bag.

557119.jpg

I actually had to use Find My to find the keys to take this photo as my wife had left them somewhere unorthodox (again).

Advertisement