Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable For A Trail Cam?

Options
  • 09-05-2021 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭

I have a Trail Cam which I pretty much permanently site just a few yards from my place. I have a Power Supply Adapter, to feed the cam 6v / 2a (Obviously, to be housed suitably)

Just like to know what flex I'm looking at to feed it from a plug socket twenty yards away, please? A/ So I can price the flex and B/ Price the protective conduit to run that through.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

I'm not an electrician and I have no idea about the current regs for cabling....but I was always told to use NYMJ 2.5mm cable for outdoor sockets where the cable went through a wall or above ground in conduit.

I'm not clear on what you are planning on doing. Are you making up an extension lead to run from an existing socket, extending the existing circuit or adding an external socket to the circuit?

I have an external weather-proof socket connected to the radial circuit in my garage via an weatherproof switch socket. The garage circuit is protected by an RCD.Will your power adaptor fit inside an external socket or will you need a box ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

If it were me, I'd be running a 2.5mm SWA cable under ground, or clipped to a wall (it would help if we knew the route), to an IP67 box with a socket inside, then put the end of the power supply through a gland out to the camera.
    This assumes, you can spur off an inside socket on an outer wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Stigura

fiacha wrote: »
    I'm not an electrician and I have no idea about the current regs for cabling.

I'm a retired Rat Catcher who's taken to spying on foxes! How much do ye think I know? :D

Leftyflip wrote: »
    If it were me, I'd be running a 2.5mm ...

I got about that much. (Fiacha mentions 2.5mm. How many flies? That sounds good ;))

Regards the rest? Maybe better if I take the long route then? Explain in long wind? (Sorry. I try to keep posts clipped. So few seem to have the attention span to deal with a 'conversation', these days)

Okay: I have a (Battery operated) 'Trail Cam'. Motion activated, remote camera unit. But, it can be fed by mains. That would be great.

I don't take this one any where. I just hang it on a fence post. Watching a bait point. I film what ever comes to that. It'll be a permanent fixture. Only, I'll unplug it every day and bring it in here to off load the vid's. K?

Now, today, I measured the distances a wire would need to run, to reach from my nearest, indoor, plug socket. 20M should about do it. Yes, there'll be ups, downs and acrosses. But, we use this extremely tough, black plastic tubing .....

Interesting thing is? A Spark, elsewhere, said to me, tonight: " Why not plug the Adapter into the plug socket and run 9V outside? " What a valid point! :eek:

Now, we're trying to figure out how to connect a 2M lead to a camera 18M away :confused:

One idea is to cut the jack plug off and have it soldered onto the end of the flex we're discussing here?

Anther is to buy, like 10' 'Adaptor Extension Leads' and plug a load of those together? Sounds pricey and tricky though :(

Open to all input. Thanks, lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Stigura wrote: »
    I don't take this one any where. I just hang it on a fence post. Watching a bait point. I film what ever comes to that. It'll be a permanent fixture. Only, I'll unplug it every day and bring it in here to off load the vid's. K?
    How far is it from your house? If only 18 meters from your house, and it'll be powered, would wireless/wired network connection to your house be an option?

Syco; I'm afraid I'm simply too unworldly to have the faintest clue about the answer to that question. And that's the simple truth :o

I only wonder that, with me turning my computer off every night; I'd imagine the 'wireless' thing would go out with it. I'm spying on the wildlife, see? Like seeing what goes on out there while I am shut down for the night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

fiacha wrote: »
    I'm not an electrician and I have no idea about the current regs for cabling....but I was always told to use NYMJ 2.5mm cable for outdoor sockets where the cable went through a wall or above ground in conduit.

Be aware that as NYMJ is not UV resistant it is only suitable for outdoor use when it is completely shielded from the sun. It may be far easier to use an SWA as others have suggested.

2011; Thanks for that. But, I'd be looking at passing what ever cable though this Really Hard (Tractor crush proof) black plastic sort of tubing we use round here.

Now ye've pointed that out though, I'll have my eye on any exposed spots ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

@ Stigura:

I'm not entirely sure that I understand your requirements, so correct me if I am wrong.

I think that what you want is a mains powered socket outlet local to the trail camera. That way the camera Power Supply Unit (PSU) could be plugged into the socket and the PSU can be plugged into the camera to provide it with the 9V it requires. This means that the socket outlet would have to be water / weather proofed (IP rated) to the applicable level and so would the PSU. As above I would suggest using SWA cable, that way no tubing required and a tractor could drive over it.

SWA sounds like the consensus. I'm happy with that then :)

Thing now is to find someone with a soldering iron. See; If I can get the jack plug - that goes into the camera - attached to 20M of SWA. Then have the outlet wire from the PSU attached to the other end of that 20M? We're flying!

I'll plug the PSU into my back room plug socket. Run the (Sheathed) SWA out to the camera. I'll have a very protected, 9V feed from inside a normal room.

Bit like the electric fence box that already runs that way, actually.

Sound like chicken dinner? :)

I'll plug the PSU into my back room plug socket. Run the (Sheathed) SWA out to the camera. I'll have a very protected, 9V feed from inside a normal room.

This is not exactly what I suggested, but it may work and would be safer as the SWA cable is only carrying 9 volts and the mains voltage equipment is installed in the dry, in your room. However the issue you have is that the volt drop on the SWA could be excessive resulting in the camera getting a reduced voltage supply, so it may not work. This would depend on a number of factors. My guess is that this approach may well work.

• Advertisement

Aah. Hmm. All I know 'for sure' is that the cam's manual says it must get " 1 Amp+ " and that this PSU says it offers 2 Amps.

That mean anything meaningful, to you, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Aah. Hmm. All I know 'for sure' is that the cam's manual says it must get " 1 Amp+ " and that this PSU says it offers 2 Amps.

That mean anything meaningful, to you, please?

The camera will only draw the required current from the supply regardless if it is a 2 amp, 10 amp or 20 amp supply.
    I assume the camera will just be in standby until it's triggered by something moving? If so it will use very little power in standby so would you consider hooking it up to a battery instead and see how that goes before going through all the hassle and expense of getting an electrician to install a new socket?
    Something like this might be enough to power it for weeks or longer depending on how much time it's in standby and how much power it uses in standby.

https://irishelectronics.ie/epages/950018241.mobile/en_IE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950018241/Products/DAS6-4.5&Locale=en_IE

Aido; Unfortunately, it's batteries that have finally brought me here :(

Again, I don't want to get into writing essays about my life. But, believe me; 'It's come to this.' I've just about exhausted all other options. I've thrown money at it. I've posted to a fair chunk of the internet. I've read what 'Trail Cam Experts' have to say.

It's cost me as much in various batteries (And a top of the range charger!) as the bloody camera did. No Change!

Suggestions offered by those who've owned a Lot of cam's, for a Long time. In no particular order:

1. They tend to get gnarly, once the batteries are past top whack.

2. Cheap, Chinese ones are dreadful.

3. Cheap, Chinese ones are worth a punt. They're cheap anyway.

4. The better end of the range ones (Like mine) can just pack up.

5. It Can be the SD Card.

6. The maker recommends feeding it a 9V / 1+A.

Fact is; It shoots intermittently. I can do a dance in front of it and not get filmed. Then, you can wander past, an hour later? Glorious technicolour! There's just no telling.

A hard wired feed would, at least, remove the 'running down batteries' question. It'll also still be there, long after I put This damn thing up against the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Aido; Unfortunately, it's batteries that have finally brought me here :(

Again, I don't want to get into writing essays about my life. But, believe me; 'It's come to this.' I've just about exhausted all other options. I've thrown money at it. I've posted to a fair chunk of the internet. I've read what 'Trail Cam Experts' have to say.

It's cost me as much in various batteries (And a top of the range charger!) as the bloody camera did. No Change!

Suggestions offered by those who've owned a Lot of cam's, for a Long time. In no particular order:

1. They tend to get gnarly, once the batteries are past top whack.

2. Cheap, Chinese ones are dreadful.

3. Cheap, Chinese ones are worth a punt. They're cheap anyway.

4. The better end of the range ones (Like mine) can just pack up.

5. It Can be the SD Card.

Fact is; It shoots intermittently. I can do a dance in front of it and not get filmed. Then, you can wander past, an hour later? Glorious technicolour! There's just no telling.

A hard wired feed would, at least, remove the 'running down batteries' question. It'll also still be there, long after I put This damn thing up against the wall.

Sounds like it time for plan B so ðŸ˜

Hardwired supply will definitely be more reliable than batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

I have a Power Supply Adapter, to feed the cam 6v / 2a (Obviously, to be housed suitably)

Is it 6V or 9V?
    Undervolting might cause the intermittent performance you are seeing

Have you considered using POE (power over ethernet) to power it?

its low voltage so no need for a sparks to install, the cable is cheaper than SWA and is a lot easier to work with (its far thinner/lighter).

I'd still recommend putting it in conduit for mechanical protection of course but it sounds like you have that lying around.

aido79 wrote: »
    Sounds like it time for plan B so ðŸ˜

Hardwired supply will definitely be more reliable than batteries.

Yeah. This Is about 'Plan E', by now!

Actually; Examining last night / todays 'captures', it occurred to me:

The vid' clips seem far wider apart ~ time wise ~ than I'd expect. Especially after dark.

I'll also, eg. Film myself putting the food out and walking away. I then stand there and watch the fox come up and start eating. But, the cam only catches my walk on part?

Suspicion? Camera, filming me, drains those batteries just enough that it doesn't have the 'Oomph' to get the next burst.

This is further backed up by the fact that I now realise the morning stuff, of birds feeding in brightness and the postman, are far more contiguous and reliable :cool:

J.jpg

See? I am working this muvva, to the bone! Just need the blank spots filled in ;)

jumbone wrote: »
    Is it 6V or 9V?

Yep. Sorry. 'Typo' / Brain Fart. 6v.

PSU comes tomorrow. I'm in town the next day. It'd be nice to pick up the cable then :)

And, yes; I'll be seeing my neighbour tomorrow too. I'll ask him if he has twenty metres laying around. Else he can tell me what it it and where to get it. This stuff won't be touching the ground. But, it'll still protect the flex from the weather and general wear and tear.

Just need someone with a soldering iron now. I think there's a guy in town .... ;)

Thanks, all! I'll be back, as soon as I get this all together and field trial it.

Well, lads; My 6V / 2A charger is here :) I took one set of batteries out of the cam. It read 'Batteries Lowered'. I put the charger to it? It read 'Full Power'!

Great! It works as I'd hoped. Now to just get that flex in between them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Well, lads; My 6V / 2A charger is here :) I took one set of batteries out of the cam. It read 'Batteries Lowered'. I put the charger to it? It read 'Full Power'!

Great! It works as I'd hoped. Now to just get that flex in between them ;)

Where are you located mate? I'd be happy to do any soldering you need.

Leftyflip; That's extremely kind of you. Thanks :)

Unfortunately, I'm miles away from anywhere :|

• Advertisement
Advertisement