Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Hilarious, "the dpp report is a bit of a shambles and it was treated as such". By whom, you or the gards or both? Would love to know your source for this. The DPP report is the only impartial report on this matter & it goes into great detail about why the investigation of Sophie's murder was a shambles. Its gas you use GSOC and garda reports which are a known shambles but fail to recognise the legitimacy of this one. Talk about hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

From about 38 mins Alfie and Leo Bulger are adamant that they met and shook hands;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxZQTOaqwXk

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If I was a local guard and randomly bumped into Bailey in the couple of days after the murder and noticed the scratches on his hands and arms (I'm aware there is dispute about the timing and severity of these, but assuming the most incriminating version for argument's sake), I'd say at the very least I'd have done a double take and made a couple of discreet inquiries afterward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Deeec

I think everybody agrees that IB knew of Sophie,knew her to see and that he knew where she lived. But that doesnt count as evidence that he had formed a friendship or any relationship ( working or otherwise) with her. The motive that he called to her house during the night/early morning for sex or to read her poetry would have to be based on the understanding that he did have some connection with her other than just being casually introduced in a garden. Yes I do know he could have just went to murder her to create a case for himself to be an investigative journalist once again - this motive makes more sense than sex or poetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

did alfie volunteer a sample of his DNA to rule himself out of the inquiry? brady did.............hardly what someone who just committed murder would do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CowgirlBoots

When I read something worth commenting on I'll do it. But mostly all I see here is wild speculation with no real back-up sources.

Alfie as another poster has said who actually knew him was a big weed smoker. They wouldnt exactly be known for their memories. He said he was 90% sure he introduced Sophie to Bailey, strange figure. 90%, surely you either did or you didnt. Bailey on the other hand has always said she was pointed out to him from a distance, never changed his story. We have to remember around this time also that the gards were full time telling the locals that Bailey did it.

Well if this thread is not good enough for you, dont let the door hit you on the way out because what you have contributed so far is nonsense yourself. Copying and pasting a ridiculous theory off reddit but then criticizing posts here, you couldn't make it up

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CowgirlBoots

Bugger off arsehole. What was copy/pasted was from an Independent.ie article regarding the gate issue. Since a link posting would not work this was the next best thing. No one is forcing you to read my posts. Why don't you just scroll on by? I certainly do with yours. Find someone else to harass.

No, what you copy and pasted was from some random poster on reddit and when you were called out on it, you actually went back & deleted the post. Gas. Also, p**s off back to whatever hole you came from cowgirl, its clear as day you dont have a notion of what you are talking about and have to resort to calling people names now. Pathetic. Talking about harassment but calling posters here arseholes, another hypocrite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Kelvinyook

Wonder if they recalled it independently or had discussed it before first interviewed. Social conformity of memory is a problem. Did the police check that.

Alfie has the detail about Bailey facing away then coming to shake hands with her. But details don't necessarily distinguish true from false memories. Neither does felt/claimed certainty, as Bailey has.

The Netflix documentary has a French witness stating that Sophie told her “a poet” wanted to work with her- she was uncomfortable around his company and the friend warned her not to meet him alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

That she remembered 20 years after the murder. Hmmm. And that fits Bailey like a tailored suit. Hmmm. Bailey never mentions Sophie once in his terrible journals or poetry; if he was trying it on with her I don’t think he would be shy about it. If he killed her then it was spur of the moment; headed down to the house on off chance of a shag (probably drove IIMO); got rejected by Sophie - threw a few digs and then has to finish the job. Cleaned himself up in the Studio in time for Jules’s coffee. Nothing more complicated nor premeditated than that; no Mad Marie Farrell sightings, no scratches, no going back to the scene to get the weapon etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

Can you clear up when Alfie Lyons first lived in Dreenane?

In the French documentary he told an elaborate story how he assisted Sophie when she moved in. But she bought in 1993 and he bought in 1995.

If he did in fact move to Dreenane after she did it makes it easier to believe a feisty Sophie could wind him up to extreme violence over a gate.

That she remembered 20 years after the murder.

11 years - 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

You couldn't make it up...

You have old Alfie Lyons probably stoned out of his brains, living next door, didn't hear a thing.. Presents himself the following day with a bandaged hand.

You have the randy Gard trying to hit on every foreign doll in the neighbourhood.

Enter Mother of five - 'The Babe Farrell' romancing around the coast at 3am in the morning... Her lucky conquest that evening being the Invisible Man.

Then of course, we have the alcoholic poet going for a trot in the middle of the night... Be it to compose a newspaper article or a quick shag, who knows...??

Lads it's all happening in West Cork... Mighty Craic down there....

You've summarised it great here flanna01. It sounds like the makings of a great fictional movie - only these events happened for real.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

A Quentin Tarantino version of it would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

In fairness to her, she may not have known IB was known for reciting poetry until the French group started organising. As far as I know her statement was that Sophie mentioned she was to meet a man who wrote poetry, not that he was an English man nor did she mention the name. Will have to look up exactly what she said.

We know for a fact the DPP got the location of the 'studio' wrong, that they incorrectly wrote off both Jules and IB's statements in their entirety due to incorrectly assuming the arrests were unlawful. The report accepted IB's alibi of spending the night awake writing a story when he seems to have missed the deadline after apparently finishing it and typing it (why the heck would he need to type an article he was supposed to dictate in a couple of hours anyway). It's been established the story was not submitted until at least 24 hours after the discovery of the body. The report wrote off MF's statements but Judge Moran found her credible, as well as all the other witnesses the DPP discounted out of hand. It was a shambles. It doesn't even mention the reports of witness intimidation.

• Advertisement

His uninfluenced alibi was that he was asleep with his partner. Interpreting the change in alibi depends on the interrogation techniques and responses by Jules and him.

Over 20 years later and he still tells roughly the same story, despite denying other parts of his statements were ever said by him. Jules said in the West Cork podcast that she knows he's innocent because 'I know what he was doing that night' and that there was no story on the table before they went to bed but when she got up he was excited to show her what he had written during the night. She was adamant the story was not there the night before but was there on the table the next morning. Despite this, it wasn't dictated until over 24 hours later.

Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

I don't get your massive issue with the alibi adjustment.

If he hadn't changed alibi and had said -from the start- that he got up and went to the studio - I don't think it would change one iota your view of his guilt.

As I already said, I reckon, in his boots, I might have lied a little to the gards too... people say stupid things in that sort of pressure situation.

Her blood being wet as quoted above is not something I'd heard before - that would certainly indicate a much later time of death than that most presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

She'd fruit and nuts in her stomach. She also laced up her boots before heading out. I'd suspect another morning time move.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

He couldn’t remember where he was the previous night, either. A downside to being an alcoholic.

The story was due on the Monday morning, if it was being written on the Sunday night it was completely impossible for it to be sent by post in hardcopy. It was to be dictated. He said he wrote it down by hand on the kitchen table.

Do you think it's plausible that he then left the warmth of the house to go to an unheated studio down the road in the middle of the night in the middle of winter to type up a story that was meant to be dictated down the phone a few hours later? Then, having gone to these extreme lengths to get the story finished, did not return it for another 24 hours or more?

Seems like a good candidate for a single-question IQ test.

Surely he would still also have to write up the story to be able to dictate it down the phone so its not implausible.

In fairness the fact that he didnt send in the story on monday morning is understandable. When the murder occured he was focused on that story - the other story became unimportant.

That story was not dictated. It was faxed . https://www.irishtimes.com/news/journalist-says-he-was-at-home-on-night-of-murder-1.1195209

I think it was because it was about computers and there were terms he was unfamilair with, I may be wrong.

• Advertisement

The story was dictated around 4pm on the 24th because the business editor at the time, Richard Curran, agreed to extend the deadline when he failed to return the story on the morning of the 23rd. IB claimed in one interview I heard that it was because there was no copytaker available on the Monday to type up the story during the phone call.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement