Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭solasGael

Here's the Reddit post, the relevant bit is the second to last paragraph :

melonysnicketts-The whole investigation was an absolute shambles, and the only reason that poor family will have no solid answer is because of an Garda Siochana. 

Could you imagine anyone signing off on the decision for the STATE PATHOLOGIST to leave a victim on the ground in winter conditions for 24hrs whilst he finished off a birthday party?

How do you lose an eight foot gate? That is another question I have for anyone that might care to answer it. 

It’s well known the man MF was with was a DSupt in the local area, so I could well see that they pressured her to change her story. The ID parade they put her through only had IB in it, and she’d been told it was him, so what else was she likely to say? A french man has recently been identified as the man she saw outside her shop and she’s spent time with Gardaí to confirm [this]: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/gardai-given-name-frenchman-seen-24409179.amp

No DNA of IB was found anywhere on Sophie or her house/surroundings, and no photos were taken of IB’s scratches or head wounds. 

There seems to be a pretty hard division between the people that think he did it, and the people that think he didn’t, in the immediate local area. IB/JT are neighbours of ours, and there is no getting away from the fact he’s an odd man with a violent streak who loves the spotlight. He can regularly be found wandering the local area taking selfies and pulling the face that says ‘ask me a question’. JT for the most part keeps herself to herself and paints well. There’s a school of thought that now they’ve split up, she might tell some tales but who knows. 

The division seems to be across the age groups - anyone that remembers it happening is convinced it was him, and the next generations are less convinced. As Jim Sheridan rightly said, you can’t convict a man on personality alone. As it goes, I don’t think he did. 

Other evidence that wasn’t mentioned in either documentary are that Sophie’s Housekeeper, Mrs Hellen, reported that a small axe at the back door was missing (which fits with IB’s head wound) and Alfie Lyons, Sophie’s neighbour, answered the door to IB in a dishevelled state on the night of the murder. 

The French idea of a ‘bouquet of indications’ is enough to convict IB from the huge amount of circumstantial evidence that has been discovered, regardless of how it was obtained. Under Irish law, this isn’t enough, which is why they’ve repeatedly refused extradition orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Massive Berevement

A theory I previously posted which may explain the wine is something Sheridan touched upon in his documentary. The day before she was at the lake and became spooked and went to visit a French family living nearby called the Ungerers. Well what if Mr Ungerer went up there with the wine the next day. He'd have known she was at home all alone and would have known that she was spooked the day before hense the visit to their house. Well maybe he decided to call in on her to see if she was ok after her fright. Maybe she mistook this as an advance on his part and threatened to tell his wife. Maybe the attack was spur of the moment to prevent his wife from finding out about the perceived advance towards Sophie. The wine which was brought up to the house as a gift was subsequently thrown out the window. They no doubt would travel between Ireland and France so it may have been purchased on an earlier journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,408 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The time that the murder occurred, it'd either be a bit late or bit early to call around for that (originally friendly) purpose, without phoning ahead first?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

That's an interesting one. I haven't seen Mr Ungerer proposed as a possible suspect before.

Again, no real evidence, but he knew she was there, alone. He was close enough. Was an associate.

That's about it really....can't think of any other links.

Mr Ungerer had a consenting sex slave in the 60s.

that means nothing at all, apart from the fact that it is interesting, especially as he and his wife were some of the last to see Sophie alive.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, some of his art is certainly interesting 😳 I'm sure most of these other potential suspects were ruled out by solid alibis tho, especially being the last to see her alive. Gardaí can't be THAT incompetent surely.

Mind you..... 🤔🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

So ..

A man (most probably) called to her house late that night/early morning perhaps with a nice bottle of wine (Christmas present?). Most probably didn’t want to be seen there during daylight.

She was in nightwear so not expecting someone but she had time to put on her boots to meet the caller at her door/or outside.

She didn’t welcome him or the gift and was already anticipating trouble during her stay there by what she had said so they may have fought previously. No evidence of any entry into the house.

There was an argument/struggle. He may have received some injuries.  She ran, he chased her.

She may have had a hatchet (now missing) He may have had a bottle of wine?

He hit her multiple times and then dropped a large block on her head killing her for certain. Displaying a measure of strength and a lack of emotional control. An unbalanced person or someone who did not want to be identified if she went to the Gardai.

It was a frenzied attack by someone unstable or wishing it to look that way. There was nothing stolen (it appears) indicating that this wasn’t the motive.

The body was left to be discovered. He was familiar with the house and probably knew her. He must have changed the blood splattered clothes and shoes soon after. It appears that nothing was heard or seen by locals.

Have you a link or where does this come from? is he still alive?

No passed away 2019. Commandeur de la Légion d'honneur also.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Excuse my ignorance..

What's a consenting sex slave??

Are they kept around the house, in a cage, in the cellar, in the shed.....?

Are they like unpaid prostitutes or something..??

Man.... West Cork is the Vegas of Ireland....... It's like an open Asylum down there, the place is over run by fruit cakes..

No wonder the Gards got nowhere with the investigation, it's a den of iniquity!

• Advertisement

It is a person who will agree to a relationship where one is master and one is slave. I think it is a form of Sadomasochism

Google Cameron Hooker. He kidnapped a woman to be a sex slave but the story refers to contracts where one can agree to such a relationship

passed away

saw that after I posted. Where does it say he had a willing slave though?

By Becca Rothfield.

'He produced iconic advertising campaigns for the New York Times and the Village Voice. But he shocked and alienated the American mainstream when he left his wife and moved in with a consenting “sex slave,” stating that Pauline Réage’s sadomasochistic novel The Story of O changed his life. Shortly thereafter, he scandalized the establishment by publishing Fornicon, a book of drawings depicting humans copulating with machines. His children’s books were pulled from American shelves, and he went on to illustrate a book about prostitutes and dominatrices in a German brothel — in addition to several more children’s books.'

Lordy 😳 wonder what the content of the children's books was like

Mind you we all watched captain pugwash completely oblivious as kids 😅

A murder must have been quite tame with all the carry on in west cork 😂 maybe that explains the blasé investigation.

"ah here Jim, you do door ta door, I'm too busy with yerman getting himself locked in his sex dungeon again after sniffing half the goods from da coke smugglers"

Explains it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

So many things about this case are ridiculous that it beggars belief but the main thing is how on earth Marie Farrell was allowed to walk out of court without naming that man in the car with her. She should have been put in prison because she had perjured not once but twice & then had the audacity to walk out of court. Contempt of court should have been another charge levied at her.

The man in the car with her that night is vital because he was in the area at the time of a murder, he would have been able to corroborate or disagree with Farrells supposed sighting of bailey amongst other reasons which would have moved the direction of the investigation in one way or the other.

Such a strange case, such a strange local community, such a corrupt local gardai, such a strange murder, the list goes on, bizarre doesnt even come close to it, you couldnt write it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,408 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If the man exists I expect he is a local Guard as suggested earlier via local knowledge. That explains why he has never been named or properly pursued.

Did he recognise Bailey?

Is that why the Guards are so sure he did it?

And prompted MF to report sighting?

But then why prompt MF to make such a vague initial report instead of naming Bailey?

Its plausible MF should have known Bailey or at least his face from her time in Schull.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Good Lord....

It could well be that Ian Bailey is the most normal person down there... Christ, compared to the other deviants that inhabit the place, he must be a pillar of society at this stage..

Gobsmacked here... He should have contacted the Babe Farrell, she was doing half the parish as it was..

Holidays in Schull next for me... It's quite obvious, what happens in Schull stays in Schull...!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I can't recall who was driving, but I do remember her having said the man in the car with her did not notice anyone at Kealfada bridge.

But she would say that, wouldn't she.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

I believe it was a local gard hence why she was so hesitant to name him. She has said time and time again she is terrified of the gards now, why? She used the excuse that she didnt want to shame his family but at the same time, she had no problem in shaming her own family, doesn't add up.

I dont think the driver saw Bailey because if he did, surely the gards would have pursued him, if he had corroborated the sighting of bailey, its a slam dunk of a case.

So either the driver in the car with Marie Farrell was a gard and that is incriminating not only for the gard himself but for the reputation of the gards in the local community or he wasnt and he wasnt willing to agree that bailey was the man Farrell supposedly saw. Either way the gards wouldnt come out of it well so in a way you can understand why Farrell wasnt pressured more to reveal him. Its a critical piece of the case just like the missing gate, just like the refusal of the moving of the body to cork hospital, amongst many other things which would have helped solved the case.

Either way, they are up there as one of the most incompetent police forces out there or they have skin in the game and they're corrupt.

Exactly right.

The identification of Marie's companion should be a priority in any re-investigation.

It is inexplicable that she has been allowed to withhold this information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Baily and Maria should work together,

marketing a coctail (of lies) called "Tiatip" or Baby Guiness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Jesus Christ can you cut it out with the 'babe' Farrell shite! It wasn't funny the 1st 100 times.

MF was driving, she said so to Sheridan while driving the same route with him

Also it is Marie Farrell not Maria. Even Bailey sometimes says Maria

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Social media silence from Bailey the last 5 or 6 days,from a position where he was quite prolific. Given the abuse he has been taking K suppose it's to be expected, I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

• Advertisement

I like it. The Babe Farrell. Nothing wrong with a bit of creativity. The Dastardly Bailey. Scooby Doo in disguise Nick Foster. Alfie Lyons of Breaking Bad fame.

Anyone taking themselves too serious on this thread is deluded. Its Boards.ie for **** sake. We're not solving the murder, we're enjoying a discussion on it.

At least we're not as crazy as the nut jobs on Twitter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement