Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Good to see, now we can properly hear the accused's version of events without propaganda pieces on Netflix & other sources willing to convict an innocent man based on scant evidence. I'm sure this will address many mistruths and expose the widespread corruption involved in attempting to paint him as the murderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Caquas

Part of the tragedy of this failed investigation is that the focus of public attention has been on Ian Bailey, not Sophie Toscan du Plantier. IB has become part of Irish folk mythology, a larger-than-life, chameleon figure who has polarised public opinion. Is he the arrogant, brutalising English blow-in who has blighted the peace of West Cork or is a tortured poet, the victim of the greatest modern witchhunt? This thread is driven by these conflicting views about IB while Sophie has become a character in his drama. After all the books, podcasts, documentaries, chat shows, social media and what have you, it is extraordinary how little we know about what actually happened to Sophie that night.

Between her phone call to her husband around 11 pm and the discovery of her body about 10 am the following morning, we seem to be completely in the dark. Simple questions remain open. Was she alone in the house? Did she go to bed? Why did she go outside? Why did she run away from the safety of her home? Why were her keys left in the lock?

All we know now is what anyone could see that morning - that she had been murdered most brutally with a concrete block. The failure to gather forensic evidence is at the root of the investigation's problems but long before modern forensic science, crimes were solved by a process of investigation based on close observation and rational deduction. If Sherlock Holmes or Hercules Poirot had arrived on the scene that morning, would they have left as bewildered as the Gardai? A set of reasonable deductions based on careful observations of the crime scene should have been sufficient to establish the sequence of events that night, if not to identify the culprit. Instead, we are left with dubious speculations e.g. the pair of wineglasses, the chairs near the fireplace.

What a pity Marge Gunderson wasn't on the scene 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭robwen

Thanks must have got wrong Monday. It's a two parter

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

Well it's half-finished, sitting on the mantlepiece above the fire. If one assumes she drank it that night then the fact that she had no alcohol in her blood when she died is indicative of a later time of death; the muesli in her stomach also supports this; and I have felt her clothing (and going outside) also hints at a morning altercation. (There is actually nothing more to support a late night death than Walter Mitty Farrell and her "sightings".)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

I thought she was due to catch an early flight on the morning her body was found?

That third glass could have been there since the day before, forgotten if she got distracted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Interesting. Was that glass tested for fingerprints DNA etc. Is it still around? Strange how much wine is involved in all this. In vino veritas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

This is one question I would really like to see answered conclusively.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CowgirlBoots

Yes, ok. That could make sense. But again, it's "IF" she drank it the night before.

The way I see it, you drink a glass of wine before bed to relax. Maybe it's just me but I have never washed a wine glass in the sink and left it to drain before going to bed. If I was drinking it it would be to unwind, doing the washing would only defeat the purpose and she also had a housekeeper who seems to have looked after these kinds of things after she left. Two of the glasses were already washed and on the draining board. One glass appears to be on the mantlepiece and may or may not have been used that night. So why wash two glasses and leave one? IMO there's a maximum of one glass to account for on that night, and even then it's far from clear it was used that evening.

Yes, all good points. But she was there on a break and was leaving if not the next day then the day after. If she was there alone I can completely understand eating a bit of bread and muesli rather than breaking out the pots and pans to cook something. Then you'd have a lot more cleaning up to do, or leave a fair bit of mess for the housekeeper on Christmas week. So I think the muesli and bread were supper after she ate in the pub earlier that day.

Yep, definitely a possibility but I think less likely than more.

Absolutely - but most things are "if" in this case unfortunately.

Do you have a link to evidence that shows when rigor mortis was observed?

and it is your business because? keep to the issue of the thread and mind your own business about me

You are posting this on the thread. Use PM if you want to talk to Moonunit in private. You post a comment on a public message forum then get upset when someone replies.

You feel you are being harassed because someone replies to your comments? Wise up.

• Advertisement

What about a scenario in which Sophie had put her boots on to go outside to her car to fetch a bottle of wine sometime after her last phone call with her husband?

Or a bottle of wine that was in someone else’s car, if there was someone with her that night. (Someone being in the house with Sophie that night would tie in with the witness sighting of her with a man in the passenger seat.)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

I am leaning towards a morning time frame as to when the murder was committed.

1) Her last meal was muesli - A typical breakfast food

2) Her bed was unmade - Suggesting it had been slept in

3) She was partially dressed / boots tied up but no socks on

4) The first Gard on the scene noted that the blood from her nose was still wet (not conjealed)

5) She was alive at midnight talking to her Husband - Found dead at 10am

The impression is that she was in bed at some point during the night, and probably phoned her Husband from the bed. it would be logical to assume she had retired for the night and was not expecting any visitors?

She had changed bedrooms to be nearer the boiler (warmer), so one can deduce that she hadn't planned on snuggling up to a male friend for the night?

We also know there was no sign of a struggle anywhere inside the house, and no trace of having had company either (the wine glasses could have been draining for days).

There was an exposed loaf of bread on the kitchen top, possible being prepared to be cut for breakfast. After the muesli maybe?

We know her boots were laced up, so she was in no mad panic before she opened the door to a caller / or heard something outside that startled her?

If the first Gard on the scene is correct, then Sophie's bloody nose suggests that the murder occurred within the last couple of hours? Given the cold temperature at that time of the year, the blood would only stay wet for a short time.

If it was a morning murder... Who does that rule out? Or more importantly, who does that rule in?

this thread is about sophie. who i disagre with is nothing to do with you so mind your own business . you do not get to tell me what to do or where to contact moonie by pm. you are not a mod here. so it is none of your business.so join moonie on ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

There is really no reason to announce when you put someone on ignore.

Anyway, The Big Issue piece on Ian Bailey, I’m looking forward to part 2 where I guess he will focus on the case. Part 1 was a bit boring as I’m not that interested in his youth etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mod: if any user is bothering you, you have options:

1. Report any hostile post using the "flag" button at the bottom of any given post; click it, then "report". The moderation team will assess it for breaches of the charter.
    2. Take it to Private Messages. Most users do not wish to read bickering between a clutch of aggrieved posters going back and forth. Take it to PMs. Otherwise you all look petulant.
    3. Block the user, so that you no longer see their posts: if you wish to do this, you can do si via this page in your profile - https://www.boards.ie/profile/ignore Meanwhile the overall guide for the new site is found here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058199126/how-can-i-a-users-guide-to-the-new-site - I'd suggest users take a look and familiarise themselves with how the new site operates.

If someone is agitating you that much, then I would recommend the third option for everyone's piece of mind. Please return to discussing the show/case/etc and not each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Doctor Larry O'Connor arrived on the scene 20 minutes after the gardai and said she had been dead for a number of hours. This was at 11am. According to Michael Sheridan's book he reported that rigor mortis had already set in.

Shirley Foster was up at 8.20am doing bits and pieces around the house and dawn wasn't until another 15-20 minutes. It seems unlikely she would have heard or seen nothing if the attack took place around then.

After some digging it seems that Sophie had a ticket to return for both the 23rd and the 24th. If she had to leave very early in the morning to check in then maybe the reason she had her boots on and her dressing gown was to go out and start the engine to warm up the car, then hears or sees someone on the lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

I doubt there will be any major revelations from Bailey regarding the murder case.

I'd expect him to stick with the same narrative... Went boozing, went home, went to bed, got up, wrote an article, made coffee for Jules.......

I don't think he'd be foolish enough to point the finger at any potential suspect, but may trash the Gards for being totally bias against him during the investigation.

The case is currently being reviewed, so I don't think he would muddy the waters too much, given that his antics the last time seemed to drive a vendetta against him, which could have seen him imprisoned with a murder conviction.

Looking at the case 25yrs on.... You would wonder is there really any point to it all? A lot of people have moved on since then, some have died, how much weight could really be attached to any new statements made today??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Unlikely to be planning to travel on th 23rd as she had made an appointment to meet her housekeeper at noon,

in fact I believe mrs Heelen actually turned up for her appointment.

• Advertisement

I do not see any flag.the person i refer to has pm disabled and i do not want any contact with them I have reported to hello@boards.ie. Also when someone is on ignore they should not be able to quote you

Bailey says two parter in mag. Sorry i quoted you in wrong place and cannot delete

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement