Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

Course I can.

Just not willing to with a random on a forum

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

Primary school?

Well at least I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Do you think you are coming across as intelligent?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

I'm lost, are you talking about the Moonies? Opus Dei? Tomi Ungerer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

• Advertisement

It takes a fair lack of insight to ask me that immediately after posting this:  "I said if you are wearing wool gloves you would still get scratched and the material of the gloves will wipe the briars due to friction as they make contact. That can very plausibly remove skin cells from the thorns. The tips are like needle points and are smooth."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Where is the evidence of Garda corruption in the investigation of this crime and what exactly would you define as corrupt activity in this particular instance?

Do you think the pages jumped out of the evidence book themselves - a long planned burst for freedom from their binding?

What kind of question is that? hello I'm new here and can't be bothered to read back over anything so convince me. I think whoever you ask that question of is entitled to say f*uk off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I think it a very reasonable question, as somebody who has followed this case closely. Where is there undisputed evidence of corrupt practice by Gardai here? The D. P. P. certainly found none. What are you alleging? Making or receiving payments? Doctoring evidence? Manipulating some gullible local stooges in order to help bring about the conviction of a suspect the Gardai knew to be innocent in order to protect one of their own colleagues who may have committed the killing? What exactly? Perhaps you would care to enlighten me? Please quote hard facts if doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

A deathbed confession from IB at this would just divide opinion again.

Unless he gave detailed facts to prove its not a windup

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Jeff2

If you discard everything to do with MK then?

She should have been lock up for her stories.

If course I can't.

And by can't I mean won't. For good reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Fresh skid Mark's from a car at the scene.

MF saw someone at the bridge but no car.

Seems to me both cant be the killer

It's a stupid question since you're quite aware that in spite of sufficent evidence, GSOC would never come to a conclusion of corruption. They were 'highly critical' if you don't mind, which is much worse than mildly critical. The Guards must have been shaking in their Doc Martins.

"The Gsoc report is highly critical of the Garda management of the investigation, and it noted that apart from pages appearing to have been cut out from jobs books which showed Mr Bailey identified as a prime suspect for the murder within days, other important files were also missing."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Bantry detective drove a Garda issued Fiesta ie., no hubcaps. Not sure why your suggesting it's Sophie's car, when I didn't. The "contradiction" in the sightings has been discussed before but the conclusion looks weak.

The garage owner added: “I’m 110% sure it was Sophie I saw that day. I have no doubt about it. I think that it’s very important that the gardai look into this sighting again.”

This is my theory and I think if there is political will to (which there likely is not). Then the case will look property into this suspect, his confession. This sighting and Martin O Sullivan's.

It's no different to making a murderer in a different jurisdiction. No police force and judicial is going to want to establish unlawful involvement by law enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Does anyone actually read the links they put up here before posting them?

"The guards who I gave the statement to said that it couldn’t have been her as she was spotted in Ballydehob buying firewood close to the time I gave that day"

Ballydehob is closeby. Its like saying someone couldn't have been in Droghdea as they were spotted in Dundalk at a similar time. It's a really lazy way of trying to discredit someone with real evidence.

On the other hand they forced us all to believe in MFs credibility. Before she redacted what she said. Wouldn't disclose the identity of the shadow man and was deemed unreliable...

To me the fact that Sophie was seen buying firewood at the Ballydehob petrol station at the time that she was supposedly at the petrol station in Skibbereen lends more credence to this witness sighting, not less.

ive spent a good bit of time with a friend in Ballydehob. She used to pick me up in Skibbereen and we’d go to Lidl or whatever before driving towards Ballydehob. Then we’d stop in at the petrol station for briquettes or something we’d forgotten.

There would be a period of max 15 minutes between us leaving the shop in Skibbereen and entering the station at Ballydehob. eyewitness statements are infamously unreliable when it comes to reporting exact times etc. so I think it’s wrong to say that the times in this instance ‘overlap’, therefore only one scenario can be true. She was in Ballydehob buying kindling therefore she couldn’t have been at the petrol station in Skibbereen? The two towns are so close to each other that this means the petrol station attendant has in fact corroborated the sighting of Sophie in Ballydehob... with the additional element of being in the company of a man, who paid for their petrol with his collar turned up, who was driving a blue or green fiesta like the one seen speeding away from the vicinity of the murder hours before Sophie was found dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Add that the Skibbereen garage didn't sell firewood and it makes it all the more likely that she would have stopped a few minutes later in Ballydehob to buy firewood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,415 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

35 pages deliberately destroyed from the evidence book.

Gardai unable to account for how MF identified Bailey.

GSOC, toothless as they are, would have referred it to the DPP but conviently for all there was a dead Garda they could use as a scapegoat for that.

Is attempting to pervert the course of justice corruption in your book?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

The Fiesta in Skibbereen was being driven by the woman, not the man and the witness said he thought the reg began with 96. So it's not the 'phantom garda from Bantry who definitely exists but we can't see the evidence, statements or first hand accounts of for unknown reasons'. He hardly arrived in his 1980s Fiesta and said 'you drive!'.

Sophie had just picked up a practically new Fiesta at the airport, the petrol station guy would be even more aware of an old 80s model Fiesta with red number plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cf80irl

Yeah, I found this bit interesting too, as I'd never heard it before

That would make the car brand new. ie, a rental car.

Also the movements filling it with fuel and getting firewood sound very typical for having arrived into the country in a rental car.

I haven't seen the hubcaps no hubcaps part mentioned before. Do we have a link to it. It's seems on face value to be a fairly minor part considering so many cars at this time had hubcaps missing.

One can only speculate as to what's behind these sightings along with local rumours of some relationship with a Guard. It wouldn't be a reason for a cover-up if it was a simple case of a rogue Guard 'carrying on' with someone and things turned nasty. Was there more business than pleasure to it? Was there a failure to provide protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

I dunno. Maybe I`m missing something. The car sighted at the petrol station was driven by the woman. I`m relying on memory now (I have a life, but stand corrected if I`m wrong).....the witness said that he knew it was a hire car because it had no hub caps. But Sophie`s hire car actually did have hub caps which suggests it wasn`t Sophie at all that the witness encountered. I understand that it was also physically impossible for Sophie to have been at the petrol pumps at the time the witness said because it is known what time she collected her hire car. 2-30 pm I think. What a Garda car with no hub caps has to do with any of this is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Is it possible that something has been lost in translation here?

Rental cars used not to have MUD FLAPS !

If the evidences was investigated property we wouldn't have Joe Public arguing over did the car have mudflaps or hubcabs. We'd know the person that reported the sighting, the description of the people, the time of the sighting. The exact details that were described. Then we have the very same for 2nd Fiesta sighting. Then we have an open appeal for others that might have spotted the cars, obviously there would have been others . Crimewatch re-enactment. etc., It appears that these sightings weren't acted upon. It makes the AGS actions very difficult to fathom.

While there are local rumours that Sophie was in a relationship with a Guard, I'd be surprised he could have found the time with all that was going on.

The Guardian had this in 2000 ;

"Ireland is becoming a key transit centre in supplying Britain's growing number of drug users with thousands of kilograms of smuggled hashish, cannabis and cocaine, according to an intelligence agency report obtained by the Guardian.

Drug smugglers are using yachts, trawlers and cargo ships to land huge quantities of hashish and cocaine destined for Britain and Europe in remote coves and inlets on the west coast of Ireland. Ships make for Ireland's west coast from Panama, Venezuela, Morocco and Pakistan, taking advantage of the lightly policed waters of the Irish Republic in the south west of the country.

The report reveals that the Irish authorities are struggling to stop the smuggling and admits that the area chosen is "nearly impossible to patrol". The Bere peninsula in Co Cork - thought to be one of the main centres of the smuggling operation - is better known as a remote tourist spot for its prehistoric stone circles, and opportunities for pony trekking and sea angling. It has many small inlets and beaches where drugs could easily be unloaded without detection, only one small port, Castletownbere, and a scattering of villages."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Deeec

Sophie seemed to go for a certain type of man - arty cultured men way older than her. She only visited Cork a few times a year and christmas 1996 was the first time she visited alone - chances of her striking up a relationship with anyone local is slim. Also apparently she didnt speak english well. Its unlikely she would have had a relationship with this gaurd.

That doesnt rule out though that this randy garda had his eye on Sophie and thought he stood a chance with her or then of course there is the drugs theory.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement