Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Or an innocent one whose life had been ruined

But who sadly never had the chops to be

7667730.jpg?width=411&sharpen=true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Xander10 wrote: »
    It wasn't his home.

Where does he live now btw?

Or how does he live? Owes 7m from the civil action alone, not to mention the libel action he lost and the other legal stuff he has gone through. Im guessing anything he gets for participating in the docs, or any other meaningful work he coukd pick up, is never going to make a dent in that. Is there just an unwritten rule that these lawyers and barristers know that aren't going to get paid and it's just let slide?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Just watched sky doc without knowing anything about the case before and based on lack of evidence i dont see IB doing it, in fact that he gave his dna so willing is another reason I dont think its him.

Would have preferred if more time was spent on facts or probabilities. Overview picture of IB House to victim and to the bridge. Some expert to give probability of what happened based on facts or again overview picture of evidence.

A better timeline of IB Events and could he realistically have done it in the time without his girlfriend knowing. Did he often get up in the early morning to go writing or was it a once off.
    And surely there has to be other suspects, was heating fixed( more to show that her reason to be in ireland was really that), did she have friends that she would have confined in about affairs, could it have been a kidnapping that went wrong, did she have life insurance, if getting a divorce how much would she have got. Pure speculation on my part but doc should explore those threads and then show evidence against.

Blood on the door is odd to me, if it's a local they know about neighbours. So they kill the girl in a rage , then go back to the house to clean up/hide evidence but leave her body and the murder weapons (unless wearing gloves).
    Blood on gate was outside or inside? Was she trying to get in or out. Gate open means a car was there.
    Dont know why she would be down at gate anyway without a coat. Either running from danger but again wouldnt running to neighbours be shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Sorry but Ian going nuts that the guards never wished him a happy birthday is a hoot

Likewise, one account of his defamation case describes how he was calm and collected, even cracking a few jokes, all through his testimony while being questioned on beating his partner up so badly she had to be hospitalised. But when some local said he only knew him for bad poetry and terrible bodhran playing, or words to that effect, it was the only time he really flared up.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

From watching the series JS attitude changes towards bailey. In the final episodes he seems to be tiring of IB's scripted responses and rants and at stages is dismissive of bailey's narratives.

• Advertisement

It wasn't his home.

Where does he live now btw?

If he lived there for decades I think it's fair to say it was his home. What else would you call it?

He hasn't found a new place yet as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Anybody with more than one brain cell knows that IB did not murder that French girl..... To think otherwise is a reflection on your rather limited IQ.

Not one blood splatter found on him, not one hair at the scene, no DNA....... Carefully planned murders leave something behind them.

The Gards were an absolute disgrace to the uniform, they didn't even want to see beyond Bailey...

So Bailey and the Mrs were in the boozer all night, I think its fair to say that Bailey is not far off being a screaming alcoholic, his quest for drink is what drives him..... I also think that he is media whore that loves the media attention, and is a fantasist as well..

To even consider that Bailey attempted to walk to the victims residence from his home after a night of boozing, is frankly amusing.

Lets have a look at the cold facts..

SDP had engaged in an affair which had ended abruptly. Is it possible that a scorned lover driven by revenge couldnt have murdered her???? Would he not have known were she lived, would she not have walked to the gate to let him in / meet him?

What bout the Husband...?? Felt betrayed by his straying wife, humiliated that he paid for a love shack for his adulteress wife and her bit of fluff??? He had the money and the means to organise a hit on her... Why did he refuse to come to Ireland when the family learnt of her murder?

But I guess it's easier to point the finger at an inept, drink soaked reported with delusions of grandeur.

In my opinion, the only questionable evidence regarding IB and the murder of SDP is the scratches on his hands... His claims of killing turkeys and chopping down tree's kinda make sense.. Turkeys flap around when grabbed by the legs, I doubt Bailey was all that sober when he took the job on, the same can be said for the Christmas tree...

Ian Bailey is a drunk, it really is that simple. He had no reason to go on a midnight jaunt to murder a lady unknown to him, why would he??

Slapping our partner around is deplorable, there is no excuse for it, and in my opinion should be actioned with a prison sentence...

But... Couples argue everyday, the vast majority of us can resolve our differences with dialog. But a share of degenerate men use their fists too. Even with the fraction of degenerate scum who use violence against women... Very few raise the bar to actually committing murder, that's one massive step.

Also, it would appear that SDP knew her murderer.. Did she open the gate for an expected visitor? What was she doing down by the gate in night clothes?

I feel sorry for IB.. He drawn a lot of attention on himself with his craving to remain in the media spotlight. He is not a murderer.

To think he scrambled over to SDP house on foot after a night of heavy drinking is bizarre to say the least, too then viciously murder a complete stranger in a brutal fashion for no known reason is nonsensical. And then, according to the Gards, hopped back into bed again and awoke the following day to recite poems by the sea as if nothing had happened.

IB did not murder SDP - Instead of condemning him, pity him for having his life completely destroyed for the last 25yrs. Would you not turn to drink, drugs to escape the hell on earth he is in???

• Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just watched sky doc without knowing anything about the case before and based on lack of evidence i dont see IB doing it, in fact that he gave his dna so willing is another reason I dont think its him.

Would have preferred if more time was spent on facts or probabilities. Overview picture of IB House to victim and to the bridge. Some expert to give probability of what happened based on facts or again overview picture of evidence.

A better timeline of IB Events and could he realistically have done it in the time without his girlfriend knowing. Did he often get up in the early morning to go writing or was it a once off.
    And surely there has to be other suspects, was heating fixed( more to show that her reason to be in ireland was really that), did she have friends that she would have confined in about affairs, could it have been a kidnapping that went wrong, did she have life insurance, if getting a divorce how much would she have got. Pure speculation on my part but doc should explore those threads and then show evidence against.

Blood on the door is odd to me, if it's a local they know about neighbours. So they kill the girl in a rage , then go back to the house to clean up/hide evidence but leave her body and the murder weapons (unless wearing gloves).
    Blood on gate was outside or inside? Was she trying to get in or out. Gate open means a car was there.
    Dont know why she would be down at gate anyway without a coat. Either running from danger but again wouldnt running to neighbours be shorter.
    Just one point I think the blood on the door was hers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I've always thought that her husband was dismissed as a suspect far far too quickly,the rich and powerful have means, influence over politicians etc. And a crime of passion is nearly always commited by someone known to the victim, someone close,even if he didn't raise the block himself.

Look,look over there at how guilty the brash Englander Living in Ireland has got away with murdering my wife. Despite decades of investigations by various people,has anyone ever really spent any time looking at the , usually,most obvious suspect,in cases like these?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Xander10

Addle wrote: »

What is the "new info" ? Story behind paywall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I've always thought that her husband was dismissed as a suspect far far too quickly,the rich and powerful have means, influence over politicians etc. And a crime of passion is nearly always commited by someone known to the victim, someone close,even if he didn't raise the block himself.

Look,look over there at how guilty the brash Englander Living in Ireland has got away with murdering my wife. Despite decades of investigations by various people,has anyone ever really spent any time looking at the , usually,most obvious suspect,in cases like these?.
    The husband had already moved on , it was a fairly open marriage by all accounts.
    By the time he re-married, 18 months after Sophie's death he had a 3 month old child with his new partner.
    The fact he didn't come to Ireland after her death might seem odd all right.
    But had he played any part in the murder surely he would have turned up playing the grieving husband

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I’d still have my doubts that it was IB and the sky doc hasn’t lessened them. I’m thinking JS may not be the best on camera for a documentary however he knows what he is doing behind the camera and I think some parts of it show us some glimpses of the real IB. Especially in the last episode.
    For example there’s a clip where the chickens get into his shed while the camera is focused on Jules gardening. IB is shouting for her to come and get them. She literally drops all and rushes to him. I found it quite unsettling. It was like she didn’t want him to get any angrier. He had quite the temper on him. Can you imagine what he was like when he put her in hospital?
    Also, I noticed lots of shots where she would be pottering away in what looked like their kitchen. It looked bright, warm and cozy. She looked at ease there. It contrasted well with the garage where IB gave a lot of his interviews and sound bytes and stored his boxes of files. The garage looked messy, cluttered, dark and chaotic. I think it showed the growing discord between them as a couple which came across clearly in other scenes like where they were watching tv together.
    Also what was the pliers scene about? That was freaky. The man is unhinged. Were we seeing this dark, twisted side to him that he tries to laugh off as his sense of humour?
    JS says at one stage that IB is like an actor paying a part at times. I think he is a guilty man playing the part of an innocent man. It’s clearly taken it’s toll over the years.

‘Your honor, this man was giving interviews in a cluttered garage and chasing chickens’

GUILTY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

If Jim Sheridan injects more lies from yer wan, Marie Farrell, into this investigation, he will sink in my estimation.

This is the woman who claimed to have seen Ian Bailey near the house in the early hours of the morning. Only her story fell apart when she ran from the witness box because her “boyfriend” was exposed as a fiction. But her latest claim is given front page treatment by the Sindo because Jim Sheridan made a statement to the Gardai. Surely this has nothing to do with efforts to boost ratings for his show but what a shame if the family is given false hope about the investigation.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/sophie-toscan-du-plantiermurdergardai-probe-new-testimony-40584779.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Maybe a *Drunk IB did it and in his twisted deluded mind a *Sober IB has convinced himself it wasn't him ???

or is that too outlandish?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Caquas wrote: »
    If Jim Sheridan injects more lies from yer wan, Marie Farrell, into this investigation, he will sink in my estimation.

This is the woman who claimed to have seen Ian Bailey near the house in the early hours of the morning. Only her story fell apart when she ran from the witness box because her “boyfriend” was exposed as a fiction. But her latest claim is given front page treatment by the Sindo because Jim Sheridan made a statement to the Gardai. Surely this has nothing to do with efforts to boost ratings for his show but what a shame if the family is given false hope about the investigation.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/sophie-toscan-du-plantiermurdergardai-probe-new-testimony-40584779.html

I believe the real identity of Mrs Farrell's companion, if made public, would have a dramatic impact on the complexion of this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

]

To be fair to Jim that's not his call. If she gave him information he should pass it on. It's up to the Gardai to decide in its validity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

flanna01 wrote: »
    Anybody with more than one brain cell knows that IB did not murder that French girl..... To think otherwise is a reflection on your rather limited IQ.

Not one blood splatter found on him, not one hair at the scene, no DNA....... Carefully planned murders leave something behind them.

The Gards were an absolute disgrace to the uniform, they didn't even want to see beyond Bailey...

So Bailey and the Mrs were in the boozer all night, I think its fair to say that Bailey is not far off being a screaming alcoholic, his quest for drink is what drives him..... I also think that he is media whore that loves the media attention, and is a fantasist as well..

To even consider that Bailey attempted to walk to the victims residence from his home after a night of boozing, is frankly amusing.

SDP had engaged in an affair which had ended abruptly. Is it possible that a scorned lover driven by revenge couldnt have murdered her???? Would he not have known were she lived, would she not have walked to the gate to let him in / meet him?

What bout the Husband...?? Felt betrayed by his straying wife, humiliated that he paid for a love shack for his adulteress wife and her bit of fluff??? He had the money and the means to organise a hit on her... Why did he refuse to come to Ireland when the family learnt of her murder?

But I guess it's easier to point the finger at an inept, drink soaked reported with delusions of grandeur.

In my opinion, the only questionable evidence regarding IB and the murder of SDP is the scratches on his hands... His claims of killing turkeys and chopping down tree's kinda make sense.. Turkeys flap around when grabbed by the legs, I doubt Bailey was all that sober when he took the job on, the same can be said for the Christmas tree...

Ian Bailey is a drunk, it really is that simple. He had no reason to go on a midnight jaunt to murder a lady unknown to him, why would he??

Slapping our partner around is deplorable, there is no excuse for it, and in my opinion should be actioned with a prison sentence...

But... Couples argue everyday, the vast majority of us can resolve our differences with dialog. But a share of degenerate men use their fists too. Even with the fraction of degenerate scum who use violence against women... Very few raise the bar to actually committing murder, that's one massive step.

Also, it would appear that SDP knew her murderer.. Did she open the gate for an expected visitor? What was she doing down by the gate in night clothes?

I feel sorry for IB.. He drawn a lot of attention on himself with his craving to remain in the media spotlight. He is not a murderer.

To think he scrambled over to SDP house on foot after a night of heavy drinking is bizarre to say the least, too then viciously murder a complete stranger in a brutal fashion for no known reason is nonsensical. And then, according to the Gards, hopped back into bed again and awoke the following day to recite poems by the sea as if nothing had happened.

IB did not murder SDP - Instead of condemning him, pity him for having his life completely destroyed for the last 25yrs. Would you not turn to drink, drugs to escape the hell on earth he is in???

I’m not sure you know that much about the case to be making such assumptions. He didn’t slap Jules around, she was hospitalised at least twice and his diary suggests there was more violence than we know about in the years before the murder. He left bite marks, tore her lip almost off, took out large clumps of hair, beat her with his crutch and kicked her with the plaster cast on his foot. He wrote in his diary that he ‘made her feel close to death’. A friend of Jules bought him a one way ticket back to England.

The murderer does not seem to have gone inside the house, where you might find DNA and hair. There was no sexual assault. The only things that seem to have hit her were a stone, a cavity block and another possible sharp weapon. You would be exceptionally lucky to find DNA and hair from someone in a large, fairly wild outdoor area, who ran down a hill after someone wielding a rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

SeaFields wrote: »
    To be fair to Jim that's not his call. If she gave him information he should pass it on. It's up to the Gardai to decide in its validity

OK, but who got it onto the front page of the Sindo?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mosii

Marie Farrell said in the JS Film ,that she didnt know that the kealfada bridge led to the murder scene, that was totally unbelievable to me. She is Guilty of a few things to me. Any lie detectors machines in this country?

• Advertisement

flanna01 wrote: »

To suggest that he only gave his partner a slap, is insulting, when in fact he inflicted brutal assualts on his partner, particularly when intoxicated. Plus he was an alcoholic before the death of SDP, not as a result of the case of SDP.

OK, but who got it onto the front page of the Sindo?

The Sindo editor. Stuff like this sales papers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Has he ever done a lie detector test on the question.

I really don't think IB done it. He seems to be such a drunk how could he murder someone and not leave a single mark and then to walk the road?

The gaurds are a disgrace. No idea were the gate is?

Dying to watch the netflix one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭Deeec

I believe the real identity of Mrs Farrell's companion, if made public, would have a dramatic impact on the complexion of this case.

I think Marie Farrell was tucked up in bed that night. She was nowhere near Kilfeada bridge. I dont understand how her husband has stayed married to her.

She is either a huge attention seaker or was bribed by the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Caroleia

What is the "new info" ? Story behind paywall.

This is the crux of the article

"In the latest twist to the extraordinary case, Ms Farrell believes she can now identify the person outside her shop as a man who was known to Ms Toscan du Plantier’s late husband, Daniel.

She claims to have identified the person in recent months from a photo online, according to informed sources."

Caroleia wrote: »

"In the latest twist to the extraordinary case, Ms Farrell believes she can now identify the person outside her shop as a man who was known to Ms Toscan du Plantier’s late husband, Daniel.

She claims to have identified the person in recent months from a photo online, according to informed sources."
    Is she ever going to go away?
    She's like a bad smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭riddles

What is the distance from the crime to where IB was living?

He denied having met her even though the neighbour alleged he introduced them.

Where the crime was committed there had to have been strong lighting (putting a car there) as it would be pitch dark I assume.

If it was IB surely there would have been some
    Preliminary contact between over and back or least something tangible to link them together I’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭Deeec

Caroleia wrote: »

The problem is noone believes anything Marie says anymore. She is not a reliable witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Acosta

mosii wrote: »
    Marie Farrell said in the JS Film ,that she didnt know that the kealfada bridge led to the murder scene, that was totally unbelievable to me.

It is. Even away from this case, she's well known locally as being a spoofer. Anything she comes out with now is most likely utter horse****.

I've encountered Bailey a few times over the years and have heard plenty of stories about him. He generally was usually fairly lucid in my experiences, but he was mess in most of that documentary. He nearly always seemed to be stoned or/and pissed.

I've always been unsure about whether or not he did it. I think he's certainly capable of it, but we'll probably never know mainly thanks to the Guards for making an absolute pigs ear of the initial investigation.

I thought the sky documentary was good and despite what I've read others say I thought it was well balanced.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement