Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

Since this thread also goes round in circles, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭tibruit

Dunno about that now. One of the circular discussions died a death today I think. One less fantasy to deal with.

You must be joking.

I'd say its raised much more interest now.

So you clearly think that this lady`s family know that the garda confessed, but they are going to keep it to themselves, even though it is now clear that contact has been made with the Gardaí.

This forum does not have any special rules regarding what is posted. and its hardly queensbury when anyone who disagrees with one poster is called moonunit a gard or stupid

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

I read the last 20 post in less than 20 seconds, that must be a record?

It is amazing how differently posters here have interpreted the same article. The conspiratorial mind is a weird one. I blame the old weed myself, I`ve seen it bring a few bright minds down over the years. Glad now I never dabbled.

So now anyone that doesn't believe the garda narrative is a dopehead??

You get increasingly more bizarre and fantasist each post tibs.

• Advertisement

Check out the the Square that can't be encircled.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

People really give credence to the 'deathbed confession' canard? Probably read too much Enid Blyton as kids. All we need is a smugglers tunnel from Sophie's house leading to a secret pirate cave.

Jeez no SW. If ye ever do get a room you should know that Elaine...sorry Scooby....feck ..sorry...Glossy Box, loves The Cleaver. He`s supposed to be on Death Row. But you never know...he could be lurking somewhere.

the cleaver might be here disguised as moonie or a gard

i reckon you are jealous😀

You've finally lost it I see.

Did you take your meds this morning tibs?

Back on ignore.

Don't quote me again, I won't be responding.

Anybody who reads this can look back over the last 20 or 30 posts and can be assured that without exception every one is part of the hick having a laugh with the the ni**er kind of waste of space, so take note and be aware!

I encourage people all the time. I would like you it if you could say something funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Speaking of echo chambers. Are you going to reply to my post which you asked for? Or are you going to let sleeping dogs lie as you don't have the slightest clue how you'd refute any of it? Your con artist impression is a poor one.

I just want to be part of the fun gang. Sure aren`t you the biggest joker on here at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

Tibs spare us another one of your legendary jokes After your blood username observation my sides are still proverbially splitting. Touché again you total wise cracker.

Apologies for the typo. Glad you managed to find a chink in the armour. As always your on tip top form. Especially when I wasn't even talking to you.

Just as an aside; when myself and a bus load fell out of a Slattery's coach in London one day in nineteen eighty what? we were maybe buoyed up by someone getting the driver to play a song about the world we were entering into with great trepidation. To this day I meet people who will happily sing to me;

"I'm not a blinkin' thickie, I'm Billericay Dickie and I'm doin' very well"

O Lordy Lord! dabble us not into temptation. We all know artists don't take drugs n'est-ce pas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭dmc17

The last few pages make for really interesting reading...

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

With supporters like these, who needs enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭flopisit

AL and his 90% sure comment of introducing IB to STD (reads like a lie, someone is certain or not - suggests intention to frame IB)

This one requires its own answer because it's quite an important issue.

Generally, a witness saying they are "at least 90% certain" would tend to indicate the witness is trying to be as honest as possible.

Alfie Lyons, at the libel trial in 2003 testified under oath that he was "at least 90 per cent certain" that he had introduced Ms Toscan du Plantier to Mr Bailey one day, in the summer of 1995. He had asked Mr Bailey to help tidy up the garden and Sophie came to his house when Bailey was working in his garden. “Well I thought about this quite often [whether Mr Bailey had met Ms Toscan du Plantier], and when I think about it, I see Sophie Toscan du Plantier coming up to the house as she invariably did when she arrived, just to say ‘Hello’. As best as my memory serves me, she came up to the house and Mr Bailey was working close by in the garden and, as I would at any time if somebody arrived into the house or up to the property, I would always introduce them to the person who was there with me. As far as I can recollect I did introduce him to Sophie Toscan du Plantier,” said Mr Lyons.

He explained it again in the Murder at the Cottage documentary:

"He was here, doing the gardening. I had mentioned to him, I said, "Sophie is down in the house now." And then she came up and I introduced her to Bailey. I said, This is Ian Bailey and he's been doing some gardening work for me, you know. So he came over and shook hands with her and that was it. When it became important, after Sophie was murdered, when I was asked about it, I was, you know, I could remember it, and yet memory is such an elusive thing that you can't always be sure what you're remembering is what happened. I could only say that I remembered it. I was 90 percent sure that that was what happened."

in 2010 Leo Bolger, told The Irish Times that he was present doing work for Toscan du Plantier when Alfie Lyons introduced her to Bailey, who was doing work for him. Also in 2010 the gardai took a statement from Leo. Ian Bailey claims Leo just remembered this in 2010, 14 years after the crime. Not true. Actually, before the libel trial in 2003, lawyers spoke to Leo about this. He was supposed to testify at the libel trial about this but the case was settled so he was never called to the stand.

From West Cork Podcast:

Leo: "So I just went home. Nobody called me. So I thought, well, my story just isn't very important. I just went home and forgot about it." [The Lawyer] told us that the story Leo told them back then matches what he says today. That day, Leo was doing some handiwork on Sophie's roof and he says sometime around midday Sophie had gone into Schull to do some shopping and he went up to see his friend, Alfie, where Ian was working on the garden. Leo says they were sitting having coffee together when Sophie appeared. Leo: "And Sophie actually walked up into the yard. I guess she'd come back and maybe was wondering where I was and Alfie - I sensed there was going to be an introduction because it was something I suspected a little bit earlier... I knew Ian wanted to be introduced, so I kind of hung back and I let them get on with it and really it was just this handshake. This is Ian. This is Sophie. How do you do? And they shook hands and I kind of walked past down the yard and Sophie came down behind me. So there was no great conversation or anything like that but there was a meeting." There are various things that stick in Leo's head that make him trust his recollection. Like the satchel Ian had with him. The one he always had with him, filled with his poems and writings. Leo says that he remembers Ian wanted to show his writings to Sophie and he wondered to himself what she's make of them. Eventually, an Irish Times writer heard about his story. Leo says a gard called over to take his statement a few days after the article appeared. Leo: "A reporter came and said to me, this is what I've heard". So a lawyer and a reporter both learned the story and tracked Leo down before the gards did.

in 2007, during his High Court appeal of the Circuit Court ruling, Mr Bailey said a statement by then Sunday Tribune news editor Helen Callanan to gardaí saying Mr Bailey had told her he had known Ms Toscan du Plantier was incorrect. On the same day, Mr Bailey also told the High Court a statement taken by gardaí from Yvonne Ungerer, was incorrect when she said he told her he had met Ms Toscan du Plantier while at Mr Lyons’s house.

So we have: Alfie's "90% Certain" eyewitness story. Leo Bolger's eyewitness story confirming that. Yvonne Ungerer saying Bailey told her the same thing. And finally Helen Callanan and multiple other witnesses saying Bailey told them he knew Sophie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"The house keeper Josephine Hellen pointing the finger at AL for using the bath (suggests willingness to break laws and also that JH had reason to distrust him)"

There was no love lost between Alfie and the Hellens due to an issue with fencing Finbarr Hellen put up.

Alfie did not have a key to Sophie's house, so the only (unlikely) way in for him was through a window in the porch which Josephine

helpfully pointed out to Sophie and suggested that Alfie must have gotten in that way.

The Hellens had the only spare key to Sophie's house.

• Advertisement

"Generally, a witness saying they are "at least 90% certain" would tend to indicate the witness is trying to be as honest as possible."

If anybody could be more full of sh*t than Alfie here's your answer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement