Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

8.45 Newstalk

Ah ok, sorry, IB said on Twitter (if that is really him) that he was on at 7.20am. Maybe we cannot trust IB and his timings!!!! ;-)

EDIT: he said 7.20 but to be broadcast at 8.45 so was a pre-record then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Might be bad memory on my part but I thought it was that she believed the man across the shop was 5 ft 8, wasn't it? In the documentary they had a recreation with the fella across the shop being 5 ft 8 standing beside someone as tall as Bailey.

Looking forward to watching the Netflix version.

Yeah, she said the guy opposite the shop was 5’8 and then she said she believed the man by the bridge was the same guy.

Do we know if the person she was meeting that night was in the car with her at that time or was she heading back home at that stage?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Ah ok, sorry, IB said on Twitter (if that is really him) that he was on at 7.20am. Maybe we cannot trust IB and his timings!!!! ;-)

EDIT: he said 7.20 but to be broadcast at 8.45 so was a pre-record then.

i was just going to say before you updated

I think you have just summed up the problem with people not remembering things accurately and taking whats said up the wrong way

and that was today and not 2 years ago

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Yeah, she said the guy opposite the shop was 5’8 and then she said she believed the man by the bridge was the same guy.

Do we know if the person she was meeting that night was in the car with her at that time or was she heading back home at that stage?

Apparently he was in the car with her....his car...she claimed to have left hers in Schull so, if true, they would have been heading towards Scull at the time, en route from Goleen/Barleycove.

Just wondering was Sophie’s car at her house when her body was found? Was it ever searched/forensically examined?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Just wondering was Sophie’s car at her house when her body was found? Was it ever searched/forensically examined?

Covered ... did you not read pages 15 to 57

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The bottle of wine is a standout .

Was it actually an expensive bottle as is said? Was it fremcht? Could you even actually purchase it in Ireland. Did she bring it with her. Or was it bought local by the perpatrator. If so if it's a unique bottle I'd imagine the suppliers would be quite limited even in a country of this size.

Why was it thrown in the ditch .

Covered ... did you not read pages 15 to 57

Obviously not! Enlighten me.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭bemak

this blue fiesta is interesting - especially the red number plate which would suggest/imply that it was foreign (French). You can get a ferry from Roscoff, France to Ringaskiddy. That would seem like the most logical route if a car was brought over from France (if the route existed at the time). Ringaskiddy to Schull is a 2hr drive. Surely there would be a record of all vehicles on ferry crossings at the time - it wouldn't take much to find/rule out the possibility that one came over. It had to get here somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bemak wrote: »
    this blue fiesta is interesting - especially the red number plate which would suggest/imply that it was foreign (French). You can get a ferry from Roscoff, France to Ringaskiddy. That would seem like the most logical route if a car was brought over from France (if the route existed at the time). Ringaskiddy to Schull is a 2hr drive. Surely there would be a record of all vehicles on ferry crossings at the time - it wouldn't take much to find/rule out the possibility that one came over. It had to get here somehow.

Irish cars had red number plates on the back before 1987, given the year this happened in it's much more likely it was a pre 1987 Irish car than a French car.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »

Was it actually an expensive bottle as is said? Was it fremcht? Could you even actually purchase it in Ireland. Did she bring it with her. Or was it bought local by the perpatrator. If so if it's a unique bottle I'd imagine the suppliers would be quite limited even in a country of this size.

It was a French wine, not generally available for purchase in Ireland at the time, but could be bought at duty free shops at French airports. Value at the time was estimated about 70 pounds.

Irish cars had red number plates on the back before 1987, given the year this happened in it's much more likely it was a pre 1987 Irish car than a French car.

ah ok - my mistake.

One thing I noticed (might have already been said) in Episode 3 or 4 of 'Murder at the Cottage's was, when Sheridan was in the car with Marie while they were driving past the location where she saw this mysterious man at the bridge, Sheridan says something like, "you know that's the road to Sophie's house" and Marie Farrell says, "oh I didn't know that" (paraphrasing). I thought it was an incredible thing to say. She's obviously lying - there's no chance any local wouldn't know where someone had been murdered in the locale. I'll try to find the exact quote.

Episode 4, 11:20 in - "you know this is the turn to Sophies?" - Sheridan; "no I didn't know that" - Marie Farrell

Apparently he was in the car with her....his car...she claimed to have left hers in Schull so, if true, they would have been heading towards Scull at the time, en route from Goleen/Barleycove.
    was it his car? MF was driving

ah ok - my mistake.

One thing I noticed (might have already been said) in Episode 3 or 4 of 'Murder at the Cottage's was, when Sheridan was in the car with Marie while they were driving past the location where she saw this mysterious man at the bridge, Sheridan says something like, "you know that's the road to Sophie's house" and Marie Farrell says, "oh I didn't know that" (paraphrasing). I thought it was an incredible thing to say. She's obviously lying - there's no chance any local wouldn't know where someone had been murdered in the locale. I'll try to find the exact quote.

Episode 4, 11:20 in - "you know this is the turn to Sophies?" - Sheridan; "no I didn't know that" - Marie Farrell
    i thought that strange too

listermint wrote: »

french wine worth 60 -70 pounds. not in off licences locally . in airports duty free

SoulWriter wrote: »
    was it his car? MF was driving

Not if my understanding is correct. I can't remember where I read it....maybe I'll have a look a bit later to see if I can find it again and post a link.....but she claimed to have parked her car in Schull when she met him and then travelled on to Goleen in his car.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

ah ok - my mistake.

she didn't know at the time of murder, he asked her "did you know that was the road to Sophies house" not "you know that's the road to Sophies house"

Not if my understanding is correct. I can't remember where I read it....maybe I'll have a look a bit later to see if I can find it again and post a link.....but she claimed to have parked her car in Schull when she met him and then travelled on to Goleen in his car.

Here it is............

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ian-bailey-case-marie-farrell-says-she-cannot-explain-discrepancy-1.2027935

OK she was driving though she says in the sheridan doc.

JS:you were driving?

MF yes

JS and there was a passenger,somebody where I am yeah?

MF yes

Of course she lies a lot so who knows

she didn't know at the time of murder, he asked her "did you know that was the road to Sophies house" not "you know that's the road to Sophies house"

No. He said. "so you know this is the turn to sophies"? She said "no I didnt know that" part 4 11 mins 58 secs

Does she mean she didnt know it at the time of murder or she didn't know it when he asked her? Wouldn't believe a word from her she should not have been in any serious documentary

• Advertisement

OK she was driving though she says in the sheridan doc.

JS:you were driving?

MF yes

JS and there was a passenger,somebody where I am yeah?

MF yes

Of course she lies a lot so who knows

She's a liar without doubt and anything she says needs to be considered in that context.

However, it seems to me that most of her lies are driven by a desire to protect the identity of her "companion" If she had met this guy in Cork that day, as she claimed, and it was a one off encounter, then I could see why they would meet in Schull, park one car and head on to Goleen. If that story was just to cover for the "real companion", and he was a local, then perhaps they would want to avoid being seen together in Schull and arrange to meet somewhere quieter, away from prying eyes.

The identity of this guy, I think, may be central to the case .

Just watched the piece there again. He says, "so you know this is the turn to Sophie's" (present tense).

The first 2 episodes of the the series are worth looking at again, it has good drone footage of the scene.
    The gate is a lot further from the cottage than I realised, almost 200 yards apparently.

No. He said. "so you know this is the turn to sophies"? She said "no I didnt know that" part 4 11 mins 58 secs

Does she mean she didnt know it at the time of murder or she didn't know it when he asked her? Wouldn't believe a word from her she should not have been in any serious documentary

I think it's a reflex reaction to distance herself from the crime - not that it makes any difference. of course she now knows that its the turn the sophies - i don't understand why she'd say she didn't know that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

No sign on Sophie, a Murder in West Cork, on my Netflix yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It was a French wine, not generally available for purchase in Ireland at the time, but could be bought at duty free shops at French airports. Value at the time was estimated about 70 pounds.

Which points to Sophie having bought it. OR someone travelling over to meet her having bought it

Either way the person who commited the murder would have had to touch it to dispose of it.

So they were in the house. Or she brought the wine out to the guest which would seem odd in the 8am range of the morning.

If they took the wine then why ? Was it to drown their sorrows then got halfway down the road and realised evidence so tossed it or did they initially hit her with the bottle then kill her with the block and brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,430 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Addle wrote: »

It's on mine now

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Mackinac

Addle wrote: »

It’s there, I watched the first episode this morning.

It's very common for false, or true, rumours to spread very early and quickly when a dramatic event occurs.

There was a bad car accident near the house where I grew up when I was a kid. Pretty much every rumour I heard about it was wrong, including even stuff about my family being woken up by the bang, glass from the car breaking the window in our house, the speedometer stuck at 120 miles an hour etc. All completely false.

Was an interesting lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 TomCor1

Looking forward to watching the Netflix doc. I feel sorry for Sophie's family who have been lead astray by the corrupt investigation. The French verdict means nothing in my opinion as they take hearsay as fact.

It looks to me as if Sophie had breakfast that morning (fruit and nuts recently ingested), saw a car approach her gate, put her boots on and went down to have a look. Whatever exchange happens here causes the killing. He is then possibly paranoid that someone else was in the house, grabs the axe and walks in the door to see was there anyone else inside, then leaves.

Mad as IB is I don't think it was him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement