Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

100% agree on MF, I'm not even going to go near if she did the deed or if she was involved in the deed, we can no more place her at the cottage than we can Bailey. However, there is something incredibly glaring about the Gardai not busting their gut trying to find the man in the car to corroborate her story. If they found him and he confirmed her sighting, it would have strengthened their case significantly.

Her refusal to name him, giving the identity of two other men, then finally a deceased man should set alarm bells going. All is not with it seems with this sordid and sad case.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Good point. My understanding is that this information was provided by Sophie's housekeeper. I'll try to find the link.

Here is where I saw it. I'll try to find the link to the observer magazine article

There was quite a lengthy article in The Observer magazine in 2000 which refers to Sophie having feuded with her neighbours over a shared gate being left open which Sophie felt should have been shut. It did not mention the names of the neighbours. Would this have been this same gate close to where Sophie was found?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Yurt! wrote: »
    100% agree on MF, I'm not even going to go near if she did the deed or if she was involved in the deed, we can no more place her at the cottage than we can Bailey. However, there is something incredibly glaring about the Gardai not busting their gut trying to find the man in the car to corroborate her story. If they found him and he confirmed her sighting, it would have strengthened their case significantly.

Her refusal to name him, giving the identity of two other men, then finally a deceased man should set alarm bells going. All is not with it seems with this sordid and sad case.

They did go and look for the person though

They actually tracked down the original lad she claimed it was who drove a Redcar did a Bitta the auld taekwondo

That's when they realised she was lying first

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭Deeec

Nothing adds up about MF at all. I think she was at home in bed with her husband that night - I find it hard to believe she was having an affair. She was a mother of 5 and a shop owner - mammys and shop owners are busy in the days coming up to Christmas. The fact her husband has stayed with her speaks volumes that there was no other man.

I do believe though she was used by the guards because they have some hold on her or seen she could be easily manipulated. She 100% knows more about the gardai involved in the case. She should have been jailed for her part in all of this. The fact she is still giving interviews considering the fool she made of herself is cringeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Deeec wrote: »
    Nothing adds up about MF at all. I think she was at home in bed with her husband that night - I find it hard to believe she was having an affair. She was a mother of 5 and a shop owner - mammys and shop owners are busy in the days coming up to Christmas. The fact her husband has stayed with her speaks volumes that there was no other man.

I do believe though she was used by the guards because they have some hold on her or seen she could be easily manipulated. She 100% knows more about the gardai involved in the case. She should have been jailed for her part in all of this. The fact she is still giving interviews considering the fool she made of herself is cringeing.

Xmass is the perfect time to slip away, sure how often would you get out, but at xmass you could easily stay out late and meet someone post party

It's the most believable part of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Anyone know why Jules was featured in JS’s documentary but not in the Netflix one?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mackwiss

Anyone know why Jules was featured in JS’s documentary but not in the Netflix one?

refused to take part in it just like MF which was used only archival footage. They all went into exclusivity contracts with JS including IB.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

namloc1980 wrote: »
    How do we know this? It's been said numerous times on the thread there was a dispute over the gate but how is this known?

"For a while she even feuded with her nearest neighbour over a shared gate that she felt should stay closed". The Observer, 12th March, 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

she said something which i thought was very telling in the cork west podcast. something along the lines of how she wished she could go back to being "just a bored housewife" before this all happened...i'm starting to think that is exactly all she was and that it was all completely made up by her. she probably made the first phonecall as somewhat of a laugh but then things hotted up and got so out of control completely. i think everything she says needs to be completely disregarded from the investigation. everything out of her mouth should be confined to the dust heap.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mioniqa

Or maybe it was her husband with her in the car? I read he has been arrested for assault twice apparently.

• Advertisement

mioniqa wrote: »
    Or maybe it was her husband with her in the car? I read he has been arrested for assault twice apparently.

Well that's an interesting nugget of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

bb12 wrote: »
    she said something which i thought was very telling in the cork west podcast. something along the lines of how she wished she could go back to being "just a bored housewife" before this all happened...i'm starting to think that is exactly all she was and that it was all completely made up by her. she probably made the first phonecall as somewhat of a laugh but then things hotted up and got so out of control completely. i think everything she says needs to be completely disregarded from the investigation. everything out of her mouth should be confined to the dust heap.

And the intimidation by Bailey would be perfectly understandable if she was telling lies from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I don’t believe she ever left her home that night either. I think she was the town busy body and a fantasist and wanted part in something to feel important. Little did she know the whole thing would grow arms and legs. She’s nothing more than an old school troll. Messing with people’s heads for attention. But she was putty for the Garda and they manipulated her to say what they wanted. She was a willing participant in this too, and took what she could get until it all went tits up. I don’t know how she even shows her face to this day. I would be mortified. She’s an utter clown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Is the michael sheridan who was in the netflix documentary a relation of Jim sheridan? I've not googled it but are they brothers or perhaps I'm misremembering ??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The theory the gardai assumed for Bailey murdering Sophie seems to be that he was sexually rebuked by Sophie.

There doesnt seem to be any evidence though that Bailey was a womaniser - Has any other women come forward supporting this theory?

Apparently he tried it on with one of Jules daughter and that’s another reason why the relationship ended along with her daughters refusing to visit her while that nutcase is still living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

"For a while she even feuded with her nearest neighbour over a shared gate that she felt should stay closed". The Observer, 12th March, 2000.

It’s a well written article by John Montague. His partner Elizabeth Wassell appeared on the Netflix show. It’s instructive how little additional detail (other than the Narie Farrell shenanigans) falls outside the article.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/theobserver/2000/mar/12/life1.lifemagazine10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

An excellent point - why did the Gardai not look for the other person in the car with her that night?

Her evidence, even taken at face value, was weak. She said she glimpsed a man in a black coat at night as she drove past and then, miraculously, she sees him again the next day and recognises him. If her male companion corroborated the sighting, it would have given it immense support to the only piece of evidence linking Bailey to the crime scene.

But the Gardai didn’t bother finding him? Something stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mr Sugar

Did anybody in the town back up MF's claims of dark coated beret wearing creep following a woman around? Surely at least one other person would have noticed this guy in the town and reported it....if he did actually exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Mr Sugar wrote: »
    Did anybody in the town back up MF's claims of dark coated beret wearing creep following a woman around? Surely at least one other person would have noticed this guy in the town and reported it....if he did actually exist.

That’s exactly what I was thinking , it was winter so a strange character would be noticed . Everyone knew Bailey so no one would take notice of him walking around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

bb12 wrote: »
    there was a couple who were interested in buying the land off sophie, circa 13 acres. the woman kept her horses there and wanted to start a trekking business. they were brought in for questioning but nothing came of it.

so another fact about this couple that i've just learnt from the cork podcast. turns out the husband was leo bolger. he was also a local handyman and was working on sophie's roof one day. he dropped next door to visit his friend alfie and ib was working there on the garden. he says sophie later came up looking for him and he says this is when ib was introduced to her and they shook hands. apparently this leo was later convicted of growing large amounts of cannabis when the horse business went belly up. he got a suspended sentence which some people are saying he got because he told guards what they wanted to hear re sophie and ib. however apparently he had also made this admission to a journalist at an earlier date before the cannabis stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

fin12 wrote: »
    Apparently he tried it on with one of Jules daughter and that’s another reason why the relationship ended along with her daughters refusing to visit her while that nutcase is still living there.

I heard that too from someone who knew them pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If MF was a young one on Facebook today she'd be putting out daily selfies with tag lines like 'absolutely awful day do NOT talk about it no DMS or pms' 'i guess my real friends know who they are don't want to talk about it no PM's or Dms' 'hate when people broadcast their problems'

That individuals information can simply not be trusted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

MF running out of a court during questioning was a bit of red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

I thought Marie Farrell’s account was that she was in the car on her own when she saw a man at the bridge? That she was on her way back from seeing this man. I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

That's the blue ford (think fiesta) with red reg plate that was a good topic of discussion a few pages back. I'm of the firm believe that whoever was driving that car has a lot more knowledge on this and it's awful nothing came of it.

did AGS even follow up on it at the time?? are were they too obsessed with IB?

surely it wouldn't have been too hard to checklist all owners of blue fiesta's in the country, and likewise all leased blue fiesta's too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭riddles

Based on Netflix it seems IB was was lot more familiar with her staying there than the sky doc. If the body wasn’t found till 10am what were the other people up the lane doing in the meantime.

The behaviour on the morning of the crime of IB and the fact he went straight there is very incriminating as was his / their changing testimony with respect to stopping their car on the was home from the pub to notice lights on in a Lyons house.

Shelga wrote: »
    I thought Marie Farrell’s account was that she was in the car on her own when she saw a man at the bridge? That she was on her way back from seeing this man. I could be wrong.

Not according to Vincent Browne:
    Around 3 am, while driving along this road, she noticed a person who, it seemed to her, resembled the strange-looking man she had noticed in Schull on the afternoon of Saturday, 21 December. This was at Airhill, beside Kealfadda bridge, close to where the body of Sophie du Plantier was to be found some hours later. She did not remark on this to the other person in the car at the time, probably because no significance then attached to the coincidence. She got home around 4.10 am on the morning of Monday, 23 December.

https://magill.ie/archive/falsely-fingering-sophies-killer

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

I believe the man in the car with MF that night was a local man who she was supposedly having an affair with and he is now dead. He was protected by the gardai for some reason.

unplayable wrote: »
    I believe the man in the car with MF that night was a local man who she was supposedly having an affair with and he is now dead. He was protected by the gardai for some reason.

You mean the Gardai allowed their investigation into the most high-profile murder to collapse in order to protect a local man (now conveniently dead)?

This is an even bigger scandal than I imagined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Caquas wrote: »
    You mean the Gardai allowed their investigation into the most high-profile murder to collapse in order to protect a local man (now conveniently dead)?
    This is an even bigger scandal than I imagined.

Or they knew MF hadnt seen Bailey and so the other man wouldnt have helped either with their attempt to frame Bailey.
    Either way deliberate attempt to pervert the course of justice.
    What would the destroyed evidence statements ripped from the investigation book show.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement