Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

He'd know how to skirt around the early cordon as he knew the area from working a Alfies.
    The road to Alfies was the road where the body and cordon was. I may be wrong but I think they said it was strange he went to the scene but did not stay long or talk to any Garda? Not sure where i read that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Absolutely laughable that the Netflix documentary can take the testimony and stories of a woman who says she's a psychic.

A women who unashamedly earns a living from lying to people.

Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    I’m not saying it should have been removed, I’m saying there are lots of reasons why certain irrelevant but sensitive statements would plausibly be removed even though it is extremely bad practice. Removing the pages is not evidence of a ‘cover-up’, they interviewed over 1,000 people according to one of the documentaries so would have vast amounts of irrelevant statements, some may have been extremely sensitive.

There are indeed reasons. None of them innocent, none of them benign.

And they are all 100% in breach of Garda policies and procedures, which states that records must be kept for 12 months or until the final determination of the proceedings or complaint, whichever is the later.

And if removal of written records is not considered evidence of a cover up, then its hard to imagine what would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The DPP disregarded Beirne's statement as it didn't really tally with what anyone else said. His statement was also 5 months after the murder so his ability to recall precise details is questionable.

I don’t think the DPP gave it enough thought. Beirne said he had no interest in the photos of the scene as he had a photographer in Cork who would get them for him, and we know McSweeney was going there anyway. It is far more plausible Bailey promised him photos he couldn’t get anywhere else, a photo of the victim he had taken himself makes the entire episode make sense.

There is no reason McSweeney would be asked to visit the scene and take photos and also to collect very similar photos from someone else that would have to be paid for. Beirne’s account is the only one that makes sense.

SoulWriter wrote: »
    The road to Alfies was the road where the body and cordon was. I may be wrong but I think they said it was strange he went to the scene but did not stay long or talk to any Garda? Not sure where i read that

Yes, they said it was like he was ‘acting’ like a reporter and wasn’t there very long or asking many questions. He also failed to flag down the next door neighbor as she passed him on the narrow drive to ask what she knew, despite Bailey having done work for her before. He also didn’t attend any Garda briefings but held his own briefings for journalists at his house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I don’t think the DPP gave it enough thought. Beirne said he had no interest in the photos of the scene as he had a photographer in Cork who would get them for him, and we know McSweeney was going there anyway. It is far more plausible Bailey promised him photos he couldn’t get anywhere else, a photo of the victim he had taken himself makes the entire episode make sense.

There is no reason McSweeney would be asked to visit the scene and take photos and also to collect very similar photos from someone else that would have to be paid for. Beirne’s account is the only one that makes sense.

Sorry that makes no sense. When would Bailey have had the opportunity to take these photos? You said it would've been between 10.30-11 but the Gardaí were already on the scene at that point. How could he have got close enough to take the alleged close up photos? That would require the Gardaí to conspire with Bailey to allow him access to take photos. Sorry but that makes no sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Mackwiss wrote: »
    Let's put the jacket to rest shall we? In a very simple way. He was using that same jacket on Christmas day Swim.

Explain to me how do you take that jacket soak it in water Christmas eve and you're using it the next day completely dry on the Christmas Swim? How do you dry it so quickly in the middle of winter in Ireland?

From JS documentary, we know they took the jacket from him and we never saw him with such jacket again.

He was wearing a black coat at all of his court appearances....I'd imagine it is not outside the realm of possibilities that he owned more than 1. Is there anything to prove he was wearing the same jacket on Christmas day and not another one?

There are indeed reasons. None of them innocent, none of them benign.

And they are all 100% in breach of Garda policies and procedures, which states that records must be kept for 12 months or until the final determination of the proceedings or complaint, whichever is the later.

And if removal of written records is not considered evidence of a cover up, then its hard to imagine what would be.

It’s not evidence of a cover up in the murder case, it may be to prevent sensitive tip-offs that turned out to be false getting into the public domain. It’s a small world down there.

Sorry that makes no sense. When would Bailey have had the opportunity to take these photos? You said it would've been between 10.30-11 but the Gardaí were already on the scene at that point. How could he have got close enough to take the alleged close up photos? That would require the Gardaí to conspire with Bailey to allow him access to take photos. Sorry but that makes no sense at all.
    He did claim to have photos. DPP report says

Michael McSweeney in his statement dated 18 February 1997 says that Padraig Beirne phoned him at 2 p.m. approximately on 23 December 1996 and advised him to go to West Cork in relation to the incident.

At 2.10 p.m. Padraig Beirne phoned Michael McSweeney back to say that he had been contacted by Ian Bailey who claimed he had photographs of the scene.

At around 2.15 to 2.20 p.m. Bailey phoned Michael McSweeney stating that he had taken photographs of the scene. At statement 74(A) McSweeney states that Bailey was vague about the content of the photos and then went on to say that his girlfriend had taken them.

No reference to Bailey having a picture of the deceased is to be found in any of McSweeney's three statements. McSweeney is the witness who D/Sgt. Hogan described as not being co-operative. However, his statements appear objective, balanced and fair.

How many gardai are there in the Schull station on any particular day, 2, 3? This was just an hour or so after the murder was reported, it would be easy in that rough and heavily overgrown landscape to get photos from a ridge with a long lens without being spotted by 2 or 3 local gardai who are the first to attend a grisly murder scene. They hardly were standing there saying ‘right, you check the house, I’ll check the body and Paddy, you scope the hills for photographers’. McSweeney said the photos were taken through bushes remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Jules and Bailey said it was his shorts that were in a bucket outside the back of the house because they had blood on them from the turkeys. There's nothing to refute that. The Italian students testimony that it was his black coat (heavy woolen coat) is frankly incredulous.

What was he doing with shorts in West Cork in December while butchering Turkeys? He was hardly wearing them....

It’s not evidence of a cover up in the murder case, it may be to prevent sensitive tip-offs that turned out to be false getting into the public domain. It’s a small world down there.
    It is evidence of corruption in the murder case.Removing page when GSOC are going to investigate. Probably some info that showed Bailey innocent

It’s a small world down there.
    could apply to the pages left

The DPP disregarded Beirne's statement as it didn't really tally with what anyone else said. His statement was also 5 months after the murder so his ability to recall precise details is questionable.

This is true of most of the "incriminating statements"

After five months , even one month, after an event, memory is not reliable to the extent of remembering things to the exact minute.

However, if the questioning is framed in a certain way, an experienced interviewer can use subtle prompting and suggestive rhetoric to lead an interviewee to the required point.

Marie Farrell initially said that the man she saw on Main street, watching Sophie in her shop, was about the same height as her husband 5'8". the guard interviewing her asked her to think carefully...bear in mind that her side of the street was a little higher than the side the subject was standing....could be be wrong etc etc. Bailey is 6'2".

This was the "same man she saw at Kealfada.

This is true of most of the "incriminating statements"

After five months , even one month, after an event, memory is not reliable to the extent of remembering things to the exact minute.

However, if the questioning is framed in a certain way, an experienced interviewer can use subtle prompting and suggestive rhetoric to lead an interviewee to the required point.

Marie Farrell initially said that the man she saw on Main street, watching Sophie in her shop, was about the same height as her husband 5'8". the guard interviewing her asked her to think carefully...bear in mind that her side of the street was a little higher than the side the subject was standing....could be be wrong etc etc. Bailey is 6'2".

This was the "same man she saw at Kealfada.

Lots of people are bad at putting figures on someone’s height from a distance, especially without a good reference point. They added scales to lots of shop doors so they can get a better idea of the height of a suspect than what Janice behind the deli could estimate.

SoulWriter wrote: »
    It is evidence of corruption in the murder case.Removing page when GSOC are going to investigate. Probably some info that showed Bailey innocent

could apply to the pages left

The pages were removed before it reached the DPP as far as I know, this was years before GSOC were established and the DPP doesn’t investigate Garda procedures as far as I know. It’s more likely the information was irrelevant or contained allegations of a sensitive nature about people unrelated to the case that were later shown to be false. He only noted some pages were missing.

The pages were removed before it reached the DPP as far as I know, this was years before GSOC were established and the DPP doesn’t investigate Garda procedures as far as I know. It’s more likely the information was irrelevant or contained allegations of a sensitive nature about people unrelated to the case that were later shown to be false. He only noted some pages were missing.
    then it is smething the gardai didn't want the DPP to see and it was denied to GSOC too
    It’s more likely the information was irrelevant or contained allegations of a sensitive nature about people unrelated to the case that were later shown to be false
    DPP is not a threat in that case they would not divulge it. highly suspect hiding pages from DPP. The dpp is well capable of discerning if something is false and or should be prosecuted

• Registered Users Posts: 33 patobrien12

Netflix has completly changed my opinion. Murder in the cottage leaves out so much.

Why did murder in the cottage not include the fact that Marie Farrell was made give the identity of her lover that was apparently in the car when she saw the supposed killer. But the man was made up??? according to Netflix.

This women cant be trusted and it is the main reason I thought Ian Bailey was innocent after Jim Sheridans one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

How many gardai are there in the Schull station on any particular day, 2, 3? This was just an hour or so after the murder was reported, it would be easy in that rough and heavily overgrown landscape to get photos from a ridge with a long lens without being spotted by 2 or 3 local gardai who are the first to attend a grisly murder scene. They hardly were standing there saying ‘right, you check the house, I’ll check the body and Paddy, you scope the hills for photographers’. McSweeney said the photos were taken through bushes remember.

Where are the photos so? I mean the body was found early l, how early were they taken, the police were up less than an hour after finding the body

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Caquas

Lots of people are bad at putting figures on someone’s height from a distance, especially without a good reference point. They added scales to lots of shop doors so they can get a better idea of the height of a suspect than what Janice behind the deli could estimate.

Bailey is 6’ 3”. Everyone who described him during the Netflix documentary said he was “imposing” or “towering” or similar. But MF said her man was 5’10”, a vast difference.

If I was on a jury, I’d give bonus points for creativity to the Gardai for suggesting the drop to the pavement to explain away the glaring inconsistency but I would know that whoever MF saw that day was not Ian Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Lots of people are bad at putting figures on someone’s height from a distance, especially without a good reference point.

As a Cork man I have seen Bailey a few times in the city, right up close and from a distance, the man is huge, there is no way on earth, under any circumstances he could be mistaken for an average sized, 5'8 man, its a ludicrous suggestion to say she could have gotten his height that wrong if she really saw him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭Treppen

Caquas wrote: »
    Bailey is 6’ 3”. Everyone who described him during the Netflix documentary said he was “imposing” or “towering” or similar. But MF said her man was 5’10”, a vast difference.

If I was on a jury, I’d give bonus points for creativity to the Gardai for suggesting the drop to the pavement to explain away the glaring inconsistency but I would know that whoever MF saw that day was not Ian Bailey.

Who knows if she even did see someone

Treppen wrote: »
    Who knows if she even did see someone

I don't think even MF knows if she really did see someone that day at this stage.....

Caquas wrote: »

MF says she saw him three times, once from across the road while she was in her shop and twice more as she drove past him. She didn’t stand anywhere near him and saw him briefly on each occasion. If there was no one else standing beside him I think it’s entirely possible a wild guess attempt, which MF admitted it was, could be substantially out.

MF says she saw him three times, once from across the road while she was in her shop and twice more as she drove past him. She didn’t stand anywhere near him and saw him briefly on each occasion. If there was no one else standing beside him I think it’s entirely possible a wild guess attempt, which MF admitted it was, could be substantially out.

The woman has lied through her teeth for decades but you find it plausible that she confused a 6'3 man with a 5'8 one?

As stated before, Ive seen the man in the flesh, there is no way you could mistake him for an average sized man, as well as being very tall he has a very big frame, you would have to be on drugs or about 15 pints to get his size so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Nobody ever saw these photos and there is no evidence they exist, so how could McSweeney know that?

And now we have Bailey crawling around the countryside with a massive telephoto lens? :pac: No evidence of course.

I think you're missing the point here MoonUnit.

I used the example of Marie as an example of manipulative interview techniques.

Marie didn't judge his height in feet ands inches. She said he was "about the same height as Chris" I think she would probably have had a good idea of Chris's height.

The wider issue is the obvious pattern, seen through immediately by the DPP, of interviews taken long after the event, stating precise times , which could not be relied upon and which unless they were accurate to within a very small margin of error, did not support the case.

The DPP are experts in these matters, every book of evidence relating to indictable offences come under their scrutiny. Recognising the fact the the case as presented by the Garda depended almost entirely on people's memory, and knowing that such memory is not reliable and becomes increasing unreliable over time, they quite rightly sent it back. Better than anyone, the DPP know a contrived case when they see one and their report is clear on this:

"once Ian Bailey was believed by the public to be responsible for the murder the fear thereby engendered created a climate in which witnesses became suggestible"

"it is difficult exercise for any person to recall with precision the timing and location of ordinary matters even after a very short time"

"Detective Fitzgerald took a statement from Michael Oliver on 10 February 1998 on which date Oliver was awaiting sentence on a serious harm conviction.
    The statement flatly contradicts a questionnaire completed by Oliver a year earlier. This questionnaire was not volunteered by the Gardaí – it had to be sought. It could certainly be argued that Oliver in an attempt to avoid a heavy sentence was anxious to please the Gardaí at the time of making the statement on 10 February 1998."

"the distressed Paul O’Colmain may also have been anxious to please the Gardaí in view of the drug difficulties relating to his son."

"Based on the above conversation and on the allegation by Martin Graham that he was given Hash by the Gardaí, despite D/Gda. Fitzgerald’s denial, the balance of evidence suggests that Graham is telling the truth. Such investigative practices are clearly unsafe to say the least."

"It is abundantly clear that Malachi Reed was not upset by Ian Bailey on 4 February 1997, however, following his conversation with Gda. Kelleher he became upset and turned a conversation which had not apparently up until then alarmed him into something sinister."

"it is a fair inference that such comments were characteristic of the approach of at least some of the Gardaí. Such comments seem to have been intended to elicit a particular response from witnesses who are in effect exhorted to take a particular line in order to avoid further loss of life."

The woman has lied through her teeth for decades but you find it plausible that she confused a 6'3 man with a 5'8 one?

As stated before, Ive seen the man in the flesh, there is no way you could mistake him for an average sized man, as well as being very tall he has a very big frame, you would have to be on drugs or about 15 pints to get his size so wrong.
    when did she drive past him twice? in at least one of her statements she said she passed by kilfeada bridge, I think, three times that night [she was driving around with the mystery man] but only saw the 'Bailey' person one time

Nobody ever saw these photos and there is no evidence they exist, so how could McSweeney know that?

And now we have Bailey crawling around the countryside with a massive telephoto lens? :pac: No evidence of course.
    nothing about bushes in the DPP report. It does mention McSweeney

With respect MoonUnit, your scraping the bottom of the barell there.

• Advertisement

I think you're missing the point here MoonUnit.

I used the example of Marie as an example of manipulative interview techniques.

Marie didn't judge his height in feet ands inches. She said he was "about the same height as Chris" I think she would probably have had a good idea of Chris's height.

The wider issue is the obvious pattern, seen through immediately by the DPP, of interviews taken long after the event, stating precise times , which could not be relied upon and which unless they were accurate to within a very small margin of error, did not support the case.

The DPP are experts in these matters, every book of evidence relating to indictable offences come under their scrutiny. Recognising the fact the the case as presented by the Garda depended almost entirely on people's memory, and knowing that such memory is not reliable and becomes increasing unreliable over time, they quite rightly sent it back. Better than anyone, the DPP know a contrived case when they see one and their report is clear on this:

"once Ian Bailey was believed by the public to be responsible for the murder the fear thereby engendered created a climate in which witnesses became suggestible"

"it is difficult exercise for any person to recall with precision the timing and location of ordinary matters even after a very short time"

"Detective Fitzgerald took a statement from Michael Oliver on 10 February 1998 on which date Oliver was awaiting sentence on a serious harm conviction.
    The statement flatly contradicts a questionnaire completed by Oliver a year earlier. This questionnaire was not volunteered by the Gardaí – it had to be sought. It could certainly be argued that Oliver in an attempt to avoid a heavy sentence was anxious to please the Gardaí at the time of making the statement on 10 February 1998."

"the distressed Paul O’Colmain may also have been anxious to please the Gardaí in view of the drug difficulties relating to his son."

"Based on the above conversation and on the allegation by Martin Graham that he was given Hash by the Gardaí, despite D/Gda. Fitzgerald’s denial, the balance of evidence suggests that Graham is telling the truth. Such investigative practices are clearly unsafe to say the least."

"It is abundantly clear that Malachi Reed was not upset by Ian Bailey on 4 February 1997, however, following his conversation with Gda. Kelleher he became upset and turned a conversation which had not apparently up until then alarmed him into something sinister."

"it is a fair inference that such comments were characteristic of the approach of at least some of the Gardaí. Such comments seem to have been intended to elicit a particular response from witnesses who are in effect exhorted to take a particular line in order to avoid further loss of life."

Gardai used the papers to that end

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement