Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

Time of death and lack of forensics for future analysis
    seem to be massive issues

I have a hunch that someone will talk eventually

Either bailey jools or the mf lady

I think the secrets lie there in the persons already linked to the murder

I suspect bailey is guilty only because of the few unanswered questions around cuts and timeline and his "confessions"

Out of curiosity has bailey ever taken a lie detector test or offered
    It would be something he would consider in his position if innocent imo

Jules Thomas was asked in one of the documentaries (cannot remember which) "are you afraid of Ian?", or it could be "were you afraid of Ian?"

She said no, I was never afraid of Ian, never. I was pissed off with him, but never afraid of him.

I find that statement weird. Never? Really? Not when he was battering you around the head so viciously that a large patch of your skull was left bald, your eye was almost dislodged from its socket and your lip was torn from your gum? Never ever afraid of him?

Right.

I also have a hunch that bailey is a lot smarter than he lets on

Jules Thomas was asked in one of the documentaries (cannot remember which) "are you afraid of Ian?", or it could be "were you afraid of Ian?"

She said no, I was never afraid of Ian, never. I was pissed off with him, but never afraid of him.

I find that statement weird. Never? Really? Not when he was battering you around the head so viciously that a large patch of your skull was left bald, your eye was almost dislodged from its socket and your lip was torn from your gum? Never ever afraid of him?

Right.

If a big man is violent and unpredictable when drunk and you're sharing the same house

You're going.to be scared

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Henry... wrote: »
    I also have a hunch that bailey is a lot smarter than he lets on

If he was so smart, he wouldnt have left his first marriage without so much as a penny to his name despite her and her family being very wealthy.

If he was smart & committed the crime, he would have kept his mouth shut, refused to report on the crime making up an excuse, refused to go a local christmas swim & not admit jokingly that he did the crime to a teenager & many other things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Butson

Not sure why people are comparing the West Cork pod to the shows. It was audio only, 14 episodes long and had a lot of repetition too.

Sky one was good overall, but yes less of Sheridan. It will do wonders for Cork tourism if nothing else, stunning footage.

Netflix one is a total hatchet job on IB. No context at all given to some of the evidence against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Time of death and lack of forensics for future analysis
    seem to be massive issues

I have a hunch that someone will talk eventually

Either bailey jools or the mf lady

I think the secrets lie there in the persons already linked to the murder

I suspect bailey is guilty only because of the few unanswered questions around cuts and timeline and his "confessions"

Out of curiosity has bailey ever taken a lie detector test or offered
    It would be something he would consider in his position if innocent imo

lie detectors don't work at all, they are less reliable than a Marie Farrell :D

If he was so smart, he wouldnt have left his first marriage without so much as a penny to his name despite her and her family being very wealthy.

If he was smart & committed the crime, he would have kept his mouth shut, refused to report on the crime making up an excuse, refused to go a local christmas swim & not admit jokingly that he did the crime to a teenager & many other things.
    A lot of that can be explained by addiction and his personality

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭Deeec

Butson wrote: »
    Not sure why people are comparing the West Cork pod to the shows. It was audio only, 14 episodes long and had a lot of repetition too.

Sky one was good overall, but yes less of Sheridan. It will do wonders for Cork tourism if nothing else, stunning footage.

Netflix one is a total hatchet job on IB. No context at all given to some of the evidence against him.

The podcast was the most informative for me. Even though its audio it gives a brilliant description of all the events.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

dublin49 wrote: »
    From my viewing of the Netflik programme JT did not give him her full backing ,in a statement read out she is quoted as saying "He may have done it so" and a witness was interviewed who claimed Jules Thomas told him she wasnt sure if he had done it or not.She was also quoted as having said the injury to his forehead was not there the day before the murder.And thats from his longtime partner.

Was the injury to his forehead much of an 'injury' though?
    I have also heard it described as 'nick' at the hairline.
    May have been covered by hair or hat and easily missed.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Butson wrote: »

because it is better than the TV shows, very exhaustive, lots of interviews, covers 99% of what you need to know about the case

so if you want to know, listen to that

Theres not much added with visuals of 1990s police cars burning about or JS tootling about the place

I felt the only thing added was the pics of IB going up peeking into the house, never saw them before, I presume he partner took those photos

marriages work differently in the UK, so you can;t just walk off with half

if he committed the crime is the issue above

but smart people do stupid **** because they can't help themselves too

lie detectors don't work at all, they are less reliable than a Marie Farrell :D

No they're not totally reliable

But sometimes it's an indicator if they actually take one of their own volition

Theres another ball game where guilty people offer to take the lie detector test but never intend to actually take it

marriages work differently in the UK, so you can;t just walk off with half

if he committed the crime is the issue above

but smart people do stupid **** because they can't help themselves too

You only have to look at some of the world's most successful people to see the kind of trouble they land themselves in

No they're not totally reliable

But sometimes it's an indicator if they actually take one of their own volition

Theres another ball game where guilty people offer to take the lie detector test but never intend to actually take it

they are useless, not reliable at all

has one ever been used in ireland? I'd hope not, never heard of it, id say the same in any country with a serious justice system

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Mackinac

Deeec wrote: »
    Just to add to what was said above - The naked Garda was where a Garda stripped in a Hotel room expecting MF to have sex with him. Mf discusses this in the podcast. You really have to listen to the podcast to get the full story.

It happened at a holiday home she was looking after.

Mackinac wrote: »

you wouldn't though, would ya?

Apologies I got the hotel room wrong - I knew it was somthing to do with MF cleaning a bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭mossie

they are useless, not reliable at all

has one ever been used in ireland? I'd hope not, never heard of it, id say the same in any country with a serious justice system

I'm pretty sure lie detector years are not admissible in Irish courts.

I would surmise the following

It's someone who was based locally and not a randomer arriving for a party or contract killer

They were acquainted or the killer knew of her

Someone irrationaly angry with a fixation on women or a dispute

I would say the answers in the people already linked to the case

I would consider the neighbor theory a possibility but have doubts about his physical ability

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Garda incompetence coupled with the words of a town full of busy bodies, weirdos and liars means the family will never see justice.

Horrific and sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

I'd say it's extremely unlikely it ever happened at all. She seems to have been caught out trying to pin a baseless attempted sexual assault on another garda during Bailey's civil case.

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    I'd say it's extremely unlikely it ever happened at all. She seems to have been caught out trying to pin a baseless attempted sexual assault on another garda during Bailey's civil case.

Thats my view aswell - I believe none of events she says actually happened. Nothing she says can be believed.

If MF told me today was Monday I would doubt her!

mossie wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure lie detector years are not admissible in Irish courts.

The point I'm making is that if you're innocent you pass and if you're guilty you may also pass

So it's a no lose situation if you're innocent and a bit of good PR

If guilty he may be reluctant

So you can't deduce a massive amount if he's never offered to be tested but I would consider it slightly surprising he hasn't in 25 years of proclaiming his innocence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

dublin49 wrote: »
    From my viewing of the Netflik programme JT did not give him her full backing ,in a statement read out she is quoted as saying "He may have done it so" and a witness was interviewed who claimed Jules Thomas told him she wasnt sure if he had done it or not.She was also quoted as having said the injury to his forehead was not there the day before the murder.And thats from his longtime partner.

Her first statements after her arrest were probably the closest the gardai felt they ever got to solving the case. Before her arrest all they had was Bailey arriving home and going to bed with Jules for the night. After JT's interview they had:
    - a statement showing his previous alibi was false
    - that he had not only got out of bed, but had left the house
    - that he had a cut on his forehead that wasn't there the night before
    - that they had stopped on the way home on the night of the murder, after taking a detour, to 'admire the view' on a hill from where Sophie's house could be seen
    - that Bailey had remarked that a light was on in Alfie's house while parked on the hill
    - that he suggested they go over to Alfie's that night
    - that JT's daughter gave a statement that they both left the house the following morning for around 2 hours when they said they were both at home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭tibruit

I would surmise the following

It's someone who was based locally and not a randomer arriving for a party or contract killer

They were acquainted or the killer knew of her

Someone irrationaly angry with a fixation on women or a dispute

I would say the answers in the people already linked to the case

I would consider the neighbor theory a possibility but have doubts about his physical ability

The first thing Alfie did when they spotted the body was to go an knock on Sophies door. If he was the killer he wouldn`t have done that.

tibruit wrote: »
    The first thing Alfie did when they spotted the body was to go an knock on Sophies door. If he was the killer he wouldn`t have done that.

Explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭tibruit

Explain?

If he was the killer, he knew the body on the driveway was Sophie. Then why would go knocking on her door? She was so badly assaulted, her own mother didn`t recognize her in the morgue.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

tibruit wrote: »
    If he was the killer, he knew the body on the driveway was Sophie. Then why would go knocking on her door? She was so badly assaulted, her own mother didn`t recognize her in the morgue.

How do you know he knocked on the door?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    Her first statements after her arrest were probably the closest the gardai felt they ever got to solving the case. Before her arrest all they had was Bailey arriving home and going to bed with Jules for the night. After JT's interview they had:
    - a statement showing his previous alibi was false
    - that he had not only got out of bed, but had left the house
    - that he had a cut on his forehead that wasn't there the night before
    - that they had stopped on the way home on the night of the murder, after taking a detour, to 'admire the view' on a hill from where Sophie's house could be seen
    - that Bailey had remarked that a light was on in Alfie's house while parked on the hill
    - that he suggested they go over to Alfie's that night
    - that JT's daughter gave a statement that they both left the house the following morning for around 2 hours when they said they were both at home

was her arrest itself not a crucial mistake in the investigation and the main misstep the garda made

I believe she even claims she never said some of the things in her statement, given they write it for you and after 12 hours when you sign it are you just trying to get out of there or going to spend an hour reading it to check it

i mean the statement about saying something bad was going to happen over there that night, it just doesn't make any sense

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement