Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭tibruit

Death In December by Michael Sheridan. Alfie`s wife first saw the body and returned to her house and told Alfie. He walked down the driveway and as far as I can remember he approached close enough to confirm it was a body and then he walked back up the driveway and knocked on Sophie`s door. If he was certain it was Sophie, if he was the killer, then he wouldn`t have done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

tibruit wrote: »
    Death In December by Michael Sheridan. Alfie`s wife first saw the body and returned to her house and told Alfie. He walked down the driveway and as far as I can remember he approached close enough to confirm it was a body and then he walked back up the driveway and knocked on Sophie`s door. If he was certain it was Sophie, if he was the killer, then he wouldn`t have done that.

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭Deeec

Ive never seen or heard this before but I havent read Michael Sheridans book.
    Alfie could also have done this to make it look it like he didnt know who the body was. It could be a clever move.

It probably means nothing.

Deeec wrote: »
    Ive never seen or heard this before but I havent read Michael Sheridans book.
    Alfie could also have done this to make it look it like he didnt know who the body was. It could be a clever move.

It probably means nothing.

He was thinking outside the box then for an old pothead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭threeball

Attack was in Stroud, Bailey lived about 10 miles away in Gloucester.

"Misogynistic attack" was the phrase used by, I think the coroner .
    A man or woman who hates women implying the victim is female.

Was Bailey a suspect in this case? Bit of a stretch to implicate him if he wasn't.

He's a bollox there's no doubt but now he's being implicated in two murders with very little evidence (only circumstantial) in one and none in the other.

• Advertisement

He was thinking outside the box then for an old pothead.

is murder not enough outside the box?

is murder not enough outside the box?

The murderer was an out of control madman.

The murderer was an out of control madman.

i seriously doubt that

in control for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 86,083 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Why not ring 999 asap :confused:

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

He may have told his wife to ring 999. Alfie was not the killer. If he was, he would have known it was Sophie and he would have also known she was alone and therefore he would not have gone knocking on her door.

• Advertisement

He may have told his wife to ring 999. Alfie was not the killer. If he was, he would have known it was Sophie and he would have also known she was alone and therefore he would not have gone knocking on her door.

dont bother going up to the house dear, i know its here as i bashed her head in last night.... i mean

If you wanted to make it look like you didn't know who the body was then thats a very simple way. As well as having the added benefit of putting your fingerprints on her door which would explain any left previously.

threeball wrote: »
    If you wanted to make it look like you didn't know who the body was then thats a very simple way. As well as having the added benefit of putting your fingerprints on her door which would explain any left previously.

And yet his fingerprints were not on the door.

And yet his fingerprints were not on the door.

So he didn't go to the door and instead lied about it. If I saw a person dead on the ground at the end of our drive and wanted to check if it was my neighbour, I think I'd knock, then try the handle and give the door a shove. I wouldn't just tap my knuckle on the surface politely 3 times and assume she wasn't home.

The French courts did not want MF to testify but used her original statement about IB which she said was lies

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

I wonder is the reason MF changing her statement about it not being IB because she's afraid he will be extradited to France and serve 25yrs knowing well he didn't commit murder, just a thought.
    I have seen and spoke to him and to say the man she saw was about 5'8 is ridiculous because even if you couldn't gauge someone's height you would say he's the tallest man you have ever seen.
    IB has a huge presence altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So he didn't go to the door and instead lied about it. If I saw a person dead on the ground at the end of our drive and wanted to check if it was my neighbour, I think I'd knock, then try the handle and give the door a shove. I wouldn't just tap my knuckle on the surface politely 3 times and assume she wasn't home.

I don't get the point of just knocking rather than shouting Sophie are you alright whilst also loudly shouting "the Guards\police are on their way!".

But he may not have been thinking straight... if he walked into the house and murderer(s) were still in there what was he going to do?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

forestgirl wrote: »
    I wonder is the reason MF changing her statement about it not being IB because she's afraid he will be extradited to France and serve 25yrs knowing well he didn't commit murder, just a thought.
    I have seen and spoke to him and to say the man she saw was about 5'8 is ridiculous because even if you couldn't gauge someone's height you would say he's the tallest man you have ever seen.
    IB has a huge presence altogether.

but is he not 6 foot 2/3? is it not ridiculous that people all go on about how tall he is, how people over exagerate

I'm curious is MF still with her husband and was her companion ever named identified, I remembering hearing talk of swinger parties in West Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

but is he not 6 foot 2/3? is it not ridiculous that people all go on about how tall he is, how people over exagerate

I'm very surprised when I read he's 6'3 I would have said way taller than that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

MF changed her statement long before the French planned to try him.

It was after she was dragged through the civil stuff which the Gardai said would never happen to her.

She openly states she did not see him and the Gardai coerced her into the story (telling her husband she was with another man if she didn't) - end of her as a witness in anything, then the gardai called her untrustworthy anyway when Bailey tried for a civil suit against them. Sweet Irony.

There really is no proof IB was anywhere near the house - only things we know is he had scratches on arms and got out of bed and his house that night.

Says a lot about the french justice system that they took a statement known to be tainted and also the mother of the young lad testified on his behalf - never heard such odd stuff in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,977 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Only landlines I guess

Only landlines I guess

they mean on his own landline or say even the one in the house

What about the tearful confession to Richie and Rosie Shelley in 1998 after a drinking session. Has that been dealt with?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Nicbuc

Ive been following this whole thread, I’ve also watched the sky doc & the Netflix doc, also listened to the west cork podcast. Earlier I listened to a podcast Crime World, Nicola Tallant interviewing Donal McIntyre, some new nuggets of info on it.

It was after she was dragged through the civil stuff which the Gardai said would never happen to her.

She openly states she did not see him and the Gardai coerced her into the story (telling her husband she was with another man if she didn't) - end of her as a witness in anything, then the gardai called her untrustworthy anyway when Bailey tried for a civil suit against them. Sweet Irony.

There really is no proof IB was anywhere near the house - only things we know is he had scratches on arms and got out of bed and his house that night.

Says a lot about the french justice system that they took a statement known to be tainted and also the mother of the young lad testified on his behalf - never heard such odd stuff in my life.

Wouldn't fancy being accused of a crime in France. Seems an absolute shambles of a justice system. No checks or balances. Just verdicts based on conjecture and feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Wouldn't fancy being accused of a crime in France. Seems an absolute shambles of a justice system. No checks or balances. Just verdicts based on conjecture and feelings.

The key difference between France and here is that with a murder in France, an investigation would be directed by a prosecutor appointed to the case - a magistrate with quasi judicial powers. The quality and probitive vale of evidence & statements, direction and quality control of the investigation is presided over by him/her. By the time the case reaches a court (if it's not dropped), the likelihood is that the evidence has been interrogated sufficiently to ensure a conviction. It's not a bad system from point A. to point B.

The system in Ireland is that AGS direct the investigation, and the DPP act as gatekeepers to a trial based on the quality of evidence collected.

The problem with the Bailey trial was that (apart from being conducted in absentia with no defence), the French court treated the Garda file as if the same quality control was conducted on it as would be the case in France with an investigation done by a quasi-judicial magistrate. They put lipstick on a pig basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Yurt! wrote: »
    The key difference between France and here is that with a murder in France, an investigation would be directed by a prosecutor appointed to the case - a magistrate with quasi judicial powers. The quality and probitive vale of evidence & statements, direction and quality control of the investigation is presided over by him/her. By the time the case reaches a court (if it's not dropped), the likelihood is that the evidence has been interrogated sufficiently to ensure a conviction. It's not a bad system from point A. to point B.

The system in Ireland is that AGS direct the investigation, and the DPP act as gatekeepers to a trial based on the quality of evidence collected.

The problem with the Bailey trial was that (apart from being conducted in absentia with no defence), the French court treated the Garda file as if the same quality control was conducted on it as would be the case in France with an investigation done by a quasi-judicial magistrate. They put lipstick on a pig basically.

Thanks for this explanation Yurt, I was confused as to what, exactly, the differences were.

You have de-confused me!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,431 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Having watched all 5 episodes of the Sky programme, I'm none the wiser.

On the scratches, can we even say with any certainty that he had some? That were actually consistent with heavy briar scratches?

The artists rendition was fairly laughable - without photo or video evidence of this, they're really just suggesting stuff.

I'm not sure I buy the story that zero fingerprint or DNA evidence could be found at or near the scene.
    Granted forensic procedures were not what they are now but it's hard to avoid the impression the investigation could have been handled more thoroughly and professionally.

Tragic story. Her parents both quite old and frail now. I don't think the case in France has done them (or Sophie's son) much good or given them closure.

And it's not a safe conviction anyway.

As much as you're left with the feeling that Mr. Baily is an egotistic individual with violent traits and an alcohol dependency - that of itself is not evidence, and there'll never be nearly enough proof to convict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Zeek12 wrote: »
    On the scratches, can we even say with any certainty that he had some? That were actually consistent with heavy briar scratches?

Isn’t the idea that the murderer was wearing gloves? I know they couldn’t get prints from the block but did they find any on the gate?

If Bailey did it, and was wearing his big coat, would he have any scratches at all? Maybe some around the wrist? Or if he was scratched the gloves wouldn’t they have found fibres on the briars?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement