Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Nicbuc

Interesting…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭chooseusername

SevenAte9 wrote: »
    Can you remember when the call came through that identified that Shirley was the one who found the body? Was it on the day? ie, before anything that was published in the public domain?

Reason I ask is that I have a suspicion/mad cap theory that IB was alerted to the location and some of the detail early in the day and he has never divulged this.

I can't imagine that after such a huge event that the locals were not on their phones from the get-go.
    There would have been police activity, maybe sirens , not a million miles away.
    (2 miles actually)
    Being an investigative journo he would have headed straight over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

There would have been police activity, maybe sirens , not a million miles away.
    (2 miles actually)
    Being an investigative journo he would have headed straight over.

I wouldn't think they would have sirens on to respond to reports of a dead body? Why wouldn't he mention this? He says the first he heard was at 1.40pm when Eddie Cassidy rang.

bb12 wrote: »
    if you're anyway vulnerable living in a rural place, you're always subconciously keeping an eye or an ear open for any unusual goings on. this includes old people, women living alone etc. it seems alfie and his wife were new to this type of living so probably weren't as aware as to what can happen in these types of areas and then this happened to them.

until you live rurally you have no idea of how alive the countryside can actually be at night and who can be lurking about.

Have to disagree. Not everyone is always subconsciously keeping an eye or ear open or feeling vulnerable. That would be a terrible way to live. I am alone in a remote place from time to time as himself sometimes works away and I do not give one seconds thought to who or what could be lurking. Of course the night is full of wild creatures sounds but once asleep, I hear nothing. It is clear to me the people up the road were asleep and simply heard nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Caquas

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    As for being 90% sure he introduced Bailey to Sophie - firstly ask yourself why was Bailey being employed to do some gardening by a pensioner, known for being careful with his money and on a very low fixed income, in 1995? Because the pensioner was physically incapable of doing so.

Why 90%? Why not 100%? - because Sophie came and went at odd times.

Could Alfie say for sure? No. Can you remember who you introduced people to last year with 100% accuracy? Do you expect an old ex-stoner in his mid/late 60s to remember with accuracy? Alfie was 90% sure Bailey was gate crashing, which by all accounts was par for the course. But couldn't rule out having invited him. .

Thanks for this post which is the first time, after 2,500+ Posts, I learned something new from this thread.

A lot of people in West Cork were desperate to help catch the murderer and some people were strongly encouraged by the Gardai to turn vague recollections into sworn affidavits. Credit to Alfie that he didn’t swear to something he couldn’t be sure about. Could he be certain he introduced IB to Sophie a year earlier in a casual conversation when Sophie happened to be nearby? Christ, he couldn’t even remember for certain at the BBQ whether he had invited IB!
    Alfie was 90% sure Bailey was gate crashing, which by all accounts was par for the course. But couldn't rule out having invited him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Nicbuc wrote: »

Just compared himself to the Birmingham 6 and Guildford 4! "I'm the West Cork 1", says Ian!

leath_dub wrote: »
    Just compared himself to the Birmingham 6 and Guildford 4! "I'm the West Cork 1", says Ian!

😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The West Cork Hurricane...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

irishgeo wrote: »
    her husband said he was picking her up from an aer Lingus flight.
    Yes, I posted that too. At Toulouse 8 p.m. Was it a lie, a mistake or was he just not bothered.
    To me it sounds like a lie to portray them as a loving couple.
    I see IB tweeted Drew Harris has ordered a cold case review. They should definitely examine the flight bookings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭chooseusername

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    I wouldn't think they would have sirens on to respond to reports of a dead body? Why wouldn't he mention this? He says the first he heard was at 1.40pm when Eddie Cassidy rang.
    Maybe not sirens, but a bit more traffic and lights than usual.
    Too early to the scene might bring attention on himself.
    Lurked about on the periphery, tried taking photos.
    Returned home , an hours walk, and waited for someone else to "inform" him.
    All this don't mean I think he's guilty, but he would be smart enough
    to realise that as a persona non grata the finger would point to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

That was me.
    I said We knew in Cork city an hour later by which I literally mean we not the entirety of Cork city.
    My then in laws were very close friends of both Alfie and Shirley and were due to travel to West Cork that day.
    Alfie rang them.

Do people in the town know who Marie Farrell was in the car with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭Xander10

No sorry. I started work at 10:30 am and service started at 12:00. I was still doing prep and we hadn't any orders in yet so before noon.

Did Alfie and Shirley have any theory on who might have done it? Did they feel it could just have easily been them as the victims or did they think the person who done it was aware Sophie was alone in the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

In a way it is worse. If the Brits hadn't charged them but let it be known it was them by name and the victims families made internationally distributed films saying it was them.but they were innocent, imagine 25 years of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

Xander10 wrote: »
    Did Alfie and Shirley have any theory on who might have done it? Did they feel it could just have easily been them as the victims or did they think the person who done it was aware Sophie was alone in the house?

What do you think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

Nicbuc wrote: »

He's made himself a celebrity out of being a murderer

He literally thrives on it , the good stuff and the bad stuff

Henry... wrote: »
    What do you think

I don't know, that's why i am asking someone local to the parties nearest, if they had any theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Do people in the town know who Marie Farrell was in the car with ?

I have no idea.
    I'm not from West Cork.
    I knew Alfie, and by extention Shirley, as they were close friends with my then in-laws (who had a house near Skibb), plus I occasionally worked with Alfie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Yurt! wrote: »
    I heard Ian Bailey is 6 ft 7 in his socks, and he's got a retractable claw 'specially for murdering, and he's got these mad eyes that can hypnotize people to do his bidding - like the divil himself. He can turn himself into pure energy and transmit himself along electricity lines and then he re-manifests as a murderer to do his murderizing, and then can get back to his house in time for the Champions League kick-off so he has an alibi. He keeps a load of black coats in a secret cave in Pirates Cove, and goes there during the full moon accompanied by a load of lesbians to wash his coats in the nip.

You forgot to add that he is as big as four cats and it's got a retractable leg so's it can leap up at you better. And you know what, Ted, it lights up at night and it's got four ears, two of them are for listening and the other two are kind of back-up ears. Its claws are as big as cups and for some reason, it's got a tremendous fear of stamps! Mrs Doyle was telling me that it's got magnets on its tail, so's if you're made out of metal it can attach itself to you and instead of a mouth, it's got four arses!"

He's made himself a celebrity out of being a murderer

He literally thrives on it , the good stuff and the bad stuff

If sitting in a shed drunkenly ranting at chickens is your idea of thriving I'd hate to see him wilt.
    The man is a wreck.

• Advertisement

As I said earlier, I never discussed it with them.
    Why would I want to drag up a topic that was so traumatic?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Losing a big gate amongst other things is just too suspect. Marie Farrell rang from a phone they knew would be the traced to get her involved and point the finger at Bailey. The guards covering it up is a really plausible scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I know the man craves attention and the media, but the question remains, if he really done it, would he really seek all this attention he brings on himself,
    I have my doubts he's not that stupid.

As I said earlier, I never discussed it with them.
    Why would I want to drag up a topic that was so traumatic?

fair enough, but I have many friends that were glad to have a friend to chat with about traumatic events rather than bottle them up. Appreciate your answer.

fair enough, but I have many friends that were glad to have a friend to chat with about traumatic events rather than bottle them up. Appreciate your answer.

I wasn't a close friend, my then parents in law were. Perhaps they discussed it with them. I honestly don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I thought this film wasn't supposed anti bailey

They really did a number on him on the alibi

Overwhelming majority watching it would come to the conclusion he did it same as the French and the gardai did

Don't know where you are getting that...

I'm of the opinion that there is zero evidence against Bailey... absolutely zero...the foreign DNA at the scene not his, the statements from MF are so contradictory they are of zero use

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

mgn wrote: »
    I know the man craves attention and the media, but the question remains, if he really done it, would he really seek all this attention he brings on himself,
    I have my doubts he's not that stupid.

Would he also be onto Drew Harris to reopen the case...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Ultimate Gowlbag

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

I'm of the opinion that there is zero evidence against Bailey... absolutely zero...the foreign DNA at the scene not his, the statements from MF are so contradictory they are of zero use

Yeah but none of that matters when people "feel" he done it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Was the DNA found enough to conclusively say it didn’t match Bailey’s? Or was it so degraded that it could only be established that it was male DNA?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

He's right. The average Netflix watcher drinks this stuff up. Most online comments are along the lines of '... OMG, he SO did it..'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement