Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

unplayable wrote: »
    Yes it’s known locally and the man in question has long since passed away.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/marie-farrell-walks-out-of-high-court-in-middle-of-cross-examination-679072

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Ultimate Gowlbag

it’s like some people are looking for a conspiracy rather than looking at what’s staring us in the face.

Or they are looking at the lack of real evidence but sure whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

dublin49 wrote: »
    IMO there is nobody on either of these threads who can say with 100% conviction they know they are right( unless Ian is logged on) ,I get that,his defenders want DNA linkage to the crime scene,DNA was only around a few years at the time and before that witness statements were paramount to convictions and there are IMO ample witness statements to totally undermine Baileys professed innocence.

DNA evidence has not undermined witness evidence in any way

There are no witnesses to the fact

The closest witness has been shown to be a liar

Some were drunk, some mad as a bag of bats

Some are reliable, but timings can't be certain given the length of time other had passed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

It's like you think the gardai should interview someone sober and then get them drunk and see if they can reliably keep a train of thought going on something that happened 20 years ago and then if they can't, bang guilty

It's why drunk people aren't reliable witnesses

His original statement said he started the article in the kitchen and went down to the studio to finish it while it was still dark. In the podcast interview he said he didn't leave the house until morning. In his drunken state he says he got up and went down the road to the studio. People who are remembering something that actually happened don't struggle to keep the same story straight so frequently.

He asks them to stop filming during the daytime when they ask him to go over the alibi. On what looks to be later the same night, he gives the story about getting up and going straight to the studio, then tells them again to stop filming and they can go over it again the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

However, they had good reason for probing Bailey, marks on his arm and head on the day following the murder, no solid alibi for his whereabouts on the night of the murder, a history of violence against women and critically an admission on more than one occasion of murdering the woman. Occam’s razor and all, it’s like some people are looking for a conspiracy rather than looking at what’s staring us in the face.

I think the rot really started to sink in when Gemma O'Doherty and Hot Press started running articles on it. It became cool for a while to think the gardai were at the same time completely incompetent and at the same time masters at stitching someone up or covering up a massive conspiracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Risoc

unplayable wrote: »

Interesting.
    Where did this Longford man sleep? Or should I say Where used he sleep when he was usually down in Schull?

I wonder if a Garda review would seek his kids DNA for elimination as the alien DNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

However, they had good reason for probing Bailey, marks on his arm and head on the day following the murder, no solid alibi for his whereabouts on the night of the murder, a history of violence against women and critically an admission on more than one occasion of murdering the woman. Occam’s razor and all, it’s like some people are looking for a conspiracy rather than looking at what’s staring us in the face.

You're not the first person to mention Occam's razor. And I'll repeat what I responded to then: Occam's razor has no place in a matter so serious. It could conceivably come for you some day - and you'll be hoping there's a robust legal system there to vindicate your rights in the face of frontier justice, rumour mills and cowboy policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Was the DNA found enough to conclusively say it didn’t match Bailey’s? Or was it so degraded that it could only be established that it was male DNA?

It didn't match IB...also the AGS have lost the gate with blood(8-10ft gate)...

Also IB volunteered his prints and DNA...not something a guilty person does

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

What are the chances in a small town that a guy who with the following FACTS:

- has a history of violence towards women
    - had scratch marks on his arms the day after the murder
    - when asked about anything to say on Christmas morning his reply was “talk to my solicitor”
    - admitted he killed her multiple times to multiple people, at one point describing how he did it and what happened
    - unreliable alibi and changing story

Compounded by
    - poor dna and crime scene handling by cops over in over their heads

Didn’t kill the woman.

Any other theory is just fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

You can't discount theories on the basis of knowing nothing about them.

The fact that you are describing your "certainty" as a theory is stange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sekiro

What are the chances in a small town that a guy who with the following FACTS:

- has a history of violence towards women
    - had scratch marks on his arms the day after the murder
    - when asked about anything to say on Christmas morning his reply was “talk to my solicitor”
    - admitted he killed her multiple times to multiple people, at one point describing how he did it and what happened
    - unreliable alibi and changing story

Compounded by
    - poor dna and crime scene handling by cops over in over their heads

Didn’t kill the woman.

Maybe.

I put it to you that the Netflix documentary purposefully excludes aspects of the case to maintain the idea that Bailey is guilty.

No mention of Bandon tapes. Ignoring that police took the black coat into evidence. Using stock footage for the Xmas swim when actual footage exists showing Bailey at the swim with hands fully out in the open and wearing black jacket 48 hours after the murder.

When the people who are certain he is guilty are excluding information because it might make you think he isn't, what does that say about the certainty of anything here?

Sure, you are even doing it yourself here.

"Violence against women" when "violence against his current partner" would be more accurate but far less provocative.

Describing "any other" theory as "fantasy" when really we don't know what theories may emerge and obviously the "fantasy" part is more a blanket and flippant dismissivness than a genuine effort to break down and debunk alternatives.

So sure your theory is correct and yet just going a bit too far to get the point across. This is a sure sign of uncertainty in itself.

Your fantasy is the best fantasy,amiright?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Your fantasy is the best fantasy,amiright?

Who do you think did it so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The murderer.

No idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

i think more should be looked into re that bruno character...he def had motive after a bad breakup and the visciousness of the assault would lean towards a scorned lover...the attack was personal...he had been to cork previously so knew how to get to the place...he didn't seem to mind assaulting her in public places considering he tried to strangle in her the paris metro and had to be pulled off her by strangers there...also apparently he changed his alibi...from signing a phone receipt to attending a festival or something elsewhere in france...would also tie in with the speeding (rental?) car away from the scene...and possibly that travel agent witness in galway.

i wonder if there's any crusty old databasea anywhere that might have all flights and passengers out of ireland in the day or two before or after the attack...wonder if anyone coming home for christmas remembers sitting beside a frenchman on a flight coming to ireland for christmas either.

i also read that not having spoken to her in a couple of years, he had been in touch with her a couple of weeks before her murder to ask for a lend of one of his paintings, which she had, to use in an exhibition. maybe she mentioned she was going to the cottage, which he knew so well, for christmas during this conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Nicbuc

Are we back up and running 🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Yes. Let’s speculate away…🤔

I see IB on Twitter saying the gate was not lost but destroyed 🤷🏼‍♀️

https://twitter.com/iankennethbail1/status/1415046221572493320?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

The two of them well matched when it comes to attention seeking, the should get together, both will do anything to attract attention.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

After listening to the podcast, and watching sky and Netflix I think he did it.

The sky one I watched first and felt sorry for him and thought he may be innocent.

Then I watched the netflix which is obviously anti bailey and sure enough I thought then he was probably guilty.

Finally listened to the podcast. Lots of unbiased interviews and much more detail.

What did it for me was him contradicting himself and his alibi, or no alibi. Witnesses (not marie farrel) saying hed walk around at night. Sophie telling her friend she was meeting a journalist. Ian telling people he did it. The violent streak and his ego. Most damning was when he drove back from schull that night and according to Jules he commented on the Alphies and the cottage and said something terrible was going to happen, and turning up the next morning with a cut on his face. She herself admitted at one stage she wasnt sure if he had done it.

Bad investigation yes but overall I think it's likely hes the killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭dublin49

same for me,too much stuff around him ,no silver bullet but lots of very strange ,contradictory and bizarre behaviour on his behalf and too many plausible witnesses that contradict his version of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Very little talk about the hatchet?

Isn't the murder weapon one of the vital pieces of evidence.... I mean if it started at the house... the block was off down the lane..

She wasn't knocked or chased by a block wielding murder... too heavy.

Marks from the post mortem indicated sharp knife like marks to her skull …

Why would someone walk away with a bloody hatchet? especially after leaving it down to use a block?

Were the local ponds and rivers dredged? Were the ditches adequately checked? or like the bottle of wine has I to be found? 

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭BarneyJ

I don't think the hatchet was ever found. The river at Kealfadda Bridge might be worth searching!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

What’s the contents of Sinéad O’Connor’s interview with IB? It’s behind a paywall. Anyone care to post the article here? Thanks

Sinéad O’Connor accused of being a journalist. Verdict:innocent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

Having been completely caught up in the Sky and Netflix take on the story - the Sinead O'Connor encounter was an excellent addition to read! I was in West Cork myself all week and wondered why Bailey wasn't at the Skibbereen Farmers market on Saturday - what I would have paid to be a fly on the wall for the interview! I'm not going to post an entire article because it's only a €1 if people want to read it - but here's a bit from the end.

"I have one last question. What knot did he use when killing one of the famous three turkeys — the one that scratched his hairline on the night before Sophie’s murder? He waves me away in anger. He’s not talking any more.

..... Once he realises I’ve fled, he calls The Star newspaper at 7.15pm, looking to take control of the narrative around our interview."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

A new career for Sinead InshAllah, a cross between mrs marple and colombo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement