Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Nah it seems to have originated from some weird Spanish outlet. No idea how they'd have any sort of inside track into a deal between Arsenal and Pool whatsoever. None of the more reliable journos have mentioned even a word about it at all.

On outgoings it looks like Ramsdale to Southampton is going to happen. Romano has just strongly hinted it.

Lol. It's done. Ramsdale off. That's a good price for him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

For his sakes, I hope so. Lovely lad, good goalie and has his heart in the right place. He needs regular playing time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

medical tomorrow for Rambo, good luck to him but I hope he doesn’t save too many against us

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'll get to watch his return to the Emirates on October 5th. Best of luck to him. Nice lad, that deserves to be starting somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

It's 18m with another 7m in potential add ons. Not great money but Arsenal aren't exactly holding all the chips on this deal. Probably as good a deal as could be expected

Arsenal drew Bolton in tbe carbaou cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah, seems like a lot for a backup keeper....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Champions League draw on the way now!

Light work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Neto deal agreed.

One year loan no obligation or option to buy.

35 year old 2nd choice keeper.

Rambo can now move to Southampton.

Good. 30m on a reserve keeper would have been nuts. Presumably Edu et al thought the same. It's not looking we're getting a forward though.

By all accounts Garcia would be competition for Raya (you know how finnicky Arteta is with keepers) but Espanyol looking for too much money for sure. Better to have Neto as backup for a season or 2 then promote the young lad we got from Ajax than spend 30 mill on another keeper.

Just been looking through some of the PL transfers of the last week or so. Looks to me like Arsenal are still a ways off negotiating the kind of deals other clubs are able to.

This Fabio Carvalho that Liverpool sold to Brentford as an example. They bought him 3 years ago from Fulham for 5m. He's not great and plays 350 or so minutes for Liverpool. Farmed out to Leipzig where he plays even less. Goes to Hull for a season in the championship and plays 1700 minutes and Liverpool somehow manage to sell him a few days ago to Brentford for 27.5m. Meanwhile we have Ramsdale who we bought for 30m. He makes the PFA team of the year the season before last. His value had to have increased to somewhere in the region of 40m after that. Spends a season on the bench and all we can get is 18m. McTominay is reportedly going to Napoli for 30m. Chelsea manage to sell Lukaku for 25+ m and he couldn't hit a barn door from 2 yards away. We are still been taken to the cleaners in the transfer market

Who else was in for Ramsdale though, you need buyers to create a market. Southampton were the only ones interested, bar Ajax who were offering even less.

And if you want a comparison for Fabio Carvalho then you have Smith-Rowe who hasn't featured for us in any meaningful way for two years, yet Fulham paid 30 mill for him, possibly rising to 35.

Also the Chelsea example is crazy, they spent 100 mill on him to buy him (for the second time!) and paid him about 300k a week, couldn't sell him for years so he was playing with other clubs and now took a massive loss on him.

Fair enough on the Lukaku but I don't think there was a list of clubs banging the door down to buy Carvalho. And Smith Rowe was a proven PL player who had done the business for Arsenal and only injury stalled his career. It's not comparing like with like. In any case, while we have definitely improved in the selling market, I do think we have a long way to go yet.

• Advertisement

Weirdest feel to last day of transfer window in a while. Not even any rumours of a forward coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

What would ye think of that? Not for 300k a week but for 100-150k a week he would be a good addition

I think its all paper talk and he won't come. We do know Arteta gets the best from players, so if he came I would expect goals. I don't think Jesus would be happy.

Be great cover for Saka on the right if it were to happen.

Huh…

I wouldn't mind Sterling, truth be told. I'd say his ego has taken a battering from the heady days of City to training with the Chelsea schoolboys, he could have a lot to prove, and I think Arteta could rekindle that flame.

It would be mad if he would prefer to train with schoolboys for a club that clearly doesn't want him because 100k a week isn't enough money.

He's 29 now, this is probably his last big move.

• Advertisement

Either we get him on loan with Chelsea paying the bulk of his wages for the season.

OR

They pay off his contract and we sign him for free on reduced terms.

That's how I'd accept Sterling if the interest is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭djan

With these days it's often due to the fact that Arsenal is trying to sell players on high wages which can be a higher burden than the actual transfer fee as it has instant impact on cashflows and can upset wage structures. Ramsdale was on 1st GK wages for a top EPL team so is a hard sell unless he's willing to take a substantial paycut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

Can't see Sterling happening. It goes against everything we have been doing right on transfer strategy since Edu and Arteta took that over. His age profile, wages and performance ceiling are all wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd take him on loan but not permanent

Doesn't really go against everything, tbf. Arteta signed Trossard and Jorginho after all, no spring chickens.

Trossard was 28 when he signed, he was already a good player for Brighton, but he has got better.

Jorginho was 30 when he signed, and he has become much better since his Chelsea days.

Both are content to play when they can, and I'm happy to see them come on as impact subs. Even when they start, it's grand. There's n o one really to cover Saka, and Sterling could do a job there. No idea how much we'll pay, but a one season loan, Chelsea paying most of his wages, and option to buy at the end would probably suit everyone. He'll be 30 then, so will start getting 2/3 year deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

As long as it’s no fee to Chelsea, then I’d be ok with it. Can’t be helping that lot out of the huge hole they dug for themselves!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c6246dj00m5o

best of luck to him, I always liked and rated him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Merino can't be that much of a duel-maestro.

He's out for a few weeks because he fractured his shoulder in training 🙄

one training session at arsenal and broken shoulder fmd

Interesting:

Asked whether the England forward could move across London, the Arsenal manager said: “You know that I cannot talk about another player.” Asked whether there may be any more arrivals before 11pm on Friday night, he added: “There’s still a few hours left so let’s see.”

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Drexel_3

Be disappointing if we don't get another attacking option in. Second year in a row we've needed cover for Saka.

Jesus, as much as I like him just can't be relied upon whatsoever

Could be the difference between winning the league or not

Chelsea in for Ferguson? I miss having an Irish player in the Arsenal squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Baffling how we haven't signed an attacking player, even a backup option like Sterling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

I’m glad we signed Neto on loan instead moving for Garcia. Spending > £20m on a number 2 keeper just doesn’t sit right with me, we’re not Chelsea.

That being said, letting Viera, ESR, and Nketiah go and not bringing in any attacking players is kind of madness. We needed an extra option up top even last season. Now we have even less numbers and we still haven’t brought anyone in up there.

Arteta / Edu and the recruitment staff have a really keen eye for defensive reinforcements but in terms of recruiting attackers, I think they are less confident in themselves and this was definitely not helped by the Mudryk pursuit. Yes we dodged a bullet there but Arteta and Edu must be thinking holy sh*t we had that one badly wrong, and are now too hesitant in recruiting attackers.

Don't go to bed too early lads the Sterling deal might be done yet 🤣

If the Sterling deal is a loan with no obligation to buy and we’re only partially covering his wages, I’m okay with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Harsh on Merino with Martinelli falling on top of him. He'll be fine though, we've an international break coming up after the Brighton game. Spain obviously won't call him up so it'll give him time to recover with the Tottenham game on September 15th coming up after. It'll be interesting how Deadline Day goes for us. Sterling on a loan could be a masterstroke assuming Arteta gets the best out of him.

Not mad on letting Nelson go. We’re so light on bodies there, even with Sterling coming in.

Isn't it gas that I completely forgot that Sterling and Arteta have a prior relationship from City?

Apparently, Arteta is very keen on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭IrishOwl...

All the talk is Liverpool not reinforcing their middle this summer will haunt them, I actually think Arsenal not adding to their attack could be worse.

Sterling on a loan sounds okay to me, I wonder why he’s been bounced around clubs though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Arteta pretty much made his coaching name on getting City's wingers humming so this makes sense.

Advertisement