Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

Quazzie wrote: »
    I love how Luiz says "even if they did the Brazil int’l defender wouldn’t have signed". Like a young wan who was rejected by a fella then says she didn't really want to shift him anyways :p

Id have kept him for leadership alone and those delicious long balls he is able to play. Not a centre half in the conventional sense, but a very good footballer. Could have been effectively used in a 3 man back line or in front of the backs as a sweeper. I like the guy. I wish him well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Why do we keep buying these guys from Chelsea looking for a final pay day with their best years behind them, Benayoun, Gallas, Willian, Luiz, Czech. They were all finished once they rocked up to arsenal, Chelsea don't sell players in their prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

liam7831 wrote: »
    Why do we keep buying these guys from Chelsea looking for a final pay day with their best years behind them, Benayoun, Gallas, Willian, Luiz, Czech. They were all finished once they rocked up to arsenal, Chelsea don't sell players in their prime.

Just looking for stop gaps because the club are cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

OmegaGene wrote: »
    He could be great for 2-3 games and then get a random red card, he has good leadership skills on the pitch a lot of the time but he’s 34 and taking 5m a year, if we can shift his mate Willian now who’s on 10m it will be good

Think he becomes a bad influence around the place if he isn't picked week in week out from what I heard for years. So we must evolve our center Half's this season so has to start with Saliba and Gab and go from there.

If Luiz would have been happy to play second fiddle to them or play in a 3 the odd time we would need it then ya I would have kept him with a huge pay cut too.

liam7831 wrote: »

I really liked Benayoun....

The rest were meh. Thought Gallas was a great signing at the time but he went a bit nuts & Luiz wasn't terrible for 8 million for a time bomb for a mistake.

Cech and Willian never worked out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

The absolute passion from the Leicester owner and the bond with the players and manager is something you could only be extremely jealous of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Fair play Leicester.

Watching their owner on the pitch, hugging the players and the manager and seeing the relationship there...makes me a bit jealous. Can't imagine Stan even coming to the game, and if he did, the players would hardly recognise him I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭omega man

Yeah the bit with the owner was an eye opener.
    A great club.

In not-so-surprising news, the Kroenkes have rejected Ek's offer for the club

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticUK/status/1393651036838141953?s=19

He could be great for 2-3 games and then get a random red card, he has good leadership skills on the pitch a lot of the time but he’s 34 and taking 5m a year, if we can shift his mate Willian now who’s on 10m it will be good

He got a red card against Wolves this season and it was a scandalous decision. To be honest, our midfield needs to be looked at on a few of those occasions. At 34, its probably time to freshen up things, but I must admit I liked Luiz more than I thought I would initially.

• Advertisement

Couldn’t care less about them myself

Wouldnt be a fan of Rodgers or some of their players (who shafted Raneiri), but I must admit, I like their chairman who seems to have a real interest in the game and especially after his father died tragically. Id prefer to see them win it, than oil money, put it like that. No effect on Arsenal either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Wouldnt be a fan of Rodgers or some of their players (who shafted Raneiri), but I must admit, I like their chairman who seems to have a real interest in the game and especially after his father died tragically. Id prefer to see them win it, than oil money, put it like that. No effect on Arsenal either way.

Any time anybody beats Chelsea or City is a very good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

So good to see the crowd at the cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭DenMan

Don't play until Wednesday now. Only two games left in the season, Crystal Palace away and Brighton at home.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    So good to see the crowd at the cup final.

Very emotive and supercharged crowd. I felt that before the lockdown, crowds were becoming very boring and meaningless chanting constantly. Going through the motions really. Today they both got behind their teams. Lovely to see. You can see it meant a lot to everyone lucky enough to be there. What football should be about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

They'll be waiting I'd say , if he wants to leave ask him to cancel his contract and let him off

They'll be waiting I'd say , if he wants to leave ask him to cancel his contract and let him off

Huge contract. Bloody con artist should be made pay every penny back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

I see Ryan Bertrand strongly linked today… would be a decent signing for no transfer fee once it’s not on a 4 year contract or something and he is not injury prone having played over 3000 mins this season and last season. Frees up money for more urgent areas. Very Decent back up for KT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

I see Ryan Bertrand strongly linked today… would be a decent signing for no transfer fee once it’s not on a 4 year contract or something and he is not injury prone having played over 3000 mins this season and last season. Frees up money for more urgent areas. Very Decent back up for KT

Can’t see the sense in buying in players that are reaching their sell by date, should be bringing in more home grown young talent and they know the club set up and want to play for the club. Over the years a lot of home grown talent has done well and made money when sold on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Yeah I don't really see a problem with Bertrand as backup LB. We clearly need one given how injury prone KT is , it cost us not having one this season.

Doesn't appear to be any up and comers in the u23s so no need to overthink this one, it's not like we'll be paying him Willian wages. Plus, he's a CL winner ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Yeah I don't really see a problem with Bertrand as backup LB. We clearly need one given how injury prone KT is , it cost us not having one this season.

Doesn't appear to be any up and comers in the u23s so no need to overthink this one, it's not like we'll be paying him Willian wages. Plus, he's a CL winner ;)

It seems to me that recruitment like this is where we're losing out to Leicester. They are amazing at finding diamonds round Europe and even in the lower leagues in England. Players that make a difference and the sort of signings we used to make 10/20 years ago

greendom wrote: »
    It seems to me that recruitment like this is where we're losing out to Leicester. They are amazing at finding diamonds round Europe and even in the lower leagues in England. Players that make a difference and the sort of signings we used to make 10/20 years ago

They can find rough diamonds, and develop them into decent players. We can find polished diamonds and turn them into Championship level players.

There's a big problem with our lack of player development. Most players go backwards, rather than forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Cheeky bid for Kane anybody?? ��

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Very emotive and supercharged crowd. I felt that before the lockdown, crowds were becoming very boring and meaningless chanting constantly. Going through the motions really. Today they both got behind their teams. Lovely to see. You can see it meant a lot to everyone lucky enough to be there. What football should be about.

were gunna be back in lockdown soon anyway. thanks to the indian variant and many anti vaccine people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

emmetlego wrote: »
    Cheeky bid for Kane anybody?? ��

120m plus £1 bid(his release clause is something like 120m i heard)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭djan

120m plus £1 bid(his release clause is something like 120m i heard)

Getting Kane for 120 million would be a bargain IMO. Still only 27 so plenty of years left in him! 0 chance he'd ever come as he will have his pick of top clubs but still one can dream :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Four new pictures of the Arsenal 21-22 home kit have been leaked

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2020/11/exclusive-arsenal-21-22-home-kit-info.html

Very happy with that kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

It’s already on sale in China in the usual places

Got sent a few pictures of those ones, inside logo isn't correct and colour was way off (away yellow one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Yeah but he’s free and arsenal like a bargain

Free
    A big signing on fee and crazy wages on a 4 year contract, how many times have we been down that road. Need to go back to youth. Not old past it players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

New home one looks more like an Ajax kit.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Just to come back to this, Gunnerblog said on the Arsecast that the reason we didn't go for Bertrand in January is because we want a younger player who can challenge KT for that position, the kind of player who is only available in summer.

If we were to go back to Bertrand and sign him now, after not signing him in January and subsequently not having LB cover which dearly cost us, well, it wouldn't look very smart.

I still don't hate the Bertrand signing (although I wasn't aware of the apparent strategy to wait till summer and get a younger player) but if the above is true and I would trust Gunnerblog that it is, then I'd really have to wonder what Edu etc is up to at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

We'll be wearing the new yellow kit tonight

Can't sign Bertrand.

Would be different year same arsenal bull****.

Sign young talent with a sell on value that don't need 80k a week to sit on the bench.

It's not hard. They better get this transfer window right or I will be spitting angry.

No Cedric's
    No Willian
    No new contracts for aging players
    No center Half's
    No keeping dead weight

Go hard or piss off.

Arsenal make two changes to the side that beat rivals Chelsea last time out.

Calum Chambers replaces Pablo Mari at the back, while Nicolas Pepe is in for Martin Odegaard.

Arsenal XI: Leno, Holding, Chambers, Gabriel, Saka, Elneny, Partey, Tierney, Pepe, Smith Rowe, Aubameyang.

COYG

Villa going well

Indeed! Wolves too drawing at Everton at half time. Remember when Everton were top of the table!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

That kit is lovely.

That's a red.

Love the new away jersey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That's a red.

Could have been. It was one of those where if the ref had given a red, it would have been upheld as no clear and obvious error. It was given as a yellow, not enough to turn into a red.

Palace determined to kick the crap out of our players this evening it would seem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Why are they booing Tierney every time?

Good man Peps! 0-1

How do they still have 11 men on the pitch??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Because he was fouled off the ball early on. Clearly fouled but fans be stupid

Palace quite lucky not to be down to 10. That Benteke incident especially.

Why have some crowd in but leave almost an entire stand empty? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Always say the same thing, if that Xhaka he's off like a light.

They thought he was looking for a penalty. In reality he was kicked down when the ball went out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

How do they still have 11 men on the pitch??

They’ve got the benefit of doubt twice now. That last one was an elbow to the chin. But the chin is not the face so play on.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Benteke was very lucky. Elbow to face normally a red. Very surprised that wasn't given.

• Advertisement
Advertisement