Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

When have we done that recently???

:pac: we haven’t. I should have started with next we’ll win 14 in a row but blah, blah, blah

Not directing that at you obviously

2nd or 3rd since Christmas is nothing to be sniffed at though. Let’s see how well they start off next season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭omega man

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    We are like 3rd in the table since Christmas..they aren't all pressure off games. So not getting your negative point on that either. The team is winning..row in behind and support the lads

Third since Christmas, jeez. Give me the days of top 4 trophy, I take it all back!!

There is some overly negative comments in here but some posters have lost the run of themselves trying desperately to somehow convince us that we’re heading in the right direction.

We are like 3rd in the table since Christmas..they aren't all pressure off games. So not getting your negative point on that either. The team is winning..row in behind and support the lads

We heard this rubbish meaningless stat loads of times during the Wenger era. Im sorry to say, but a league season is 38 games not 19.

For the first 19 games of the season, the R-word was mentioned. That is how poor our form was. It wasn't all sunshine and roses in the second half of the season either. A 97th equaliser needed against relegation fodder Fulham. Got a goal from a balls-up against Chelsea and were battered for the remaining 75 minutes. Didnt even get out of our own half against Liverpool who themselves had a poor season and lost 6 home games in a row. Beaten twice against Villa and twice against Wolves.

Arsenal are going nowhere, certainly not under Arteta and definitely not under KSE's ownership. And the football is tepid to watch. Sideways, backwards, sideways, backwards, etc, etc. Not negativity folks....facts!!!

L'prof wrote: »
    :pac: we haven’t. I should have started with next we’ll win 14 in a row but blah, blah, blah

Not directing that at you obviously

2nd or 3rd since Christmas is nothing to be sniffed at though. Let’s see how well they start off next season

Meaningless. A season is 38 games long. Unless that can translate into next season, whats the point??? its just a late rally that papers the cracks over the shambles that was the first half of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

omega man wrote: »
    Third since Christmas, jeez. Give me the days of top 4 trophy, I take it all back!!

There is some overly negative comments in here but some posters have lost the run of themselves trying desperately to somehow convince us that we’re heading in the right direction.

I really think it's you that might have lost the run of yourself. You cant say been 3rd in the table since Christmas isn't an up turn in form. Come on now your just been ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

We heard this rubbish meaningless stat loads of times during the Wenger era. Im sorry to say, but a league season is 38 games not 19.

For the first 19 games of the season, the R-word was mentioned. That is how poor our form was. It wasn't all sunshine and roses in the second half of the season either. A 97th equaliser needed against relegation fodder Fulham. Got a goal from a balls-up against Chelsea and were battered for the remaining 75 minutes. Didnt even get out of our own half against Liverpool who themselves had a poor season and lost 6 home games in a row. Beaten twice against Villa and twice against Wolves.

Arsenal are going nowhere, certainly not under Arteta and definitely not under KSE's ownership. And the football is tepid to watch. Sideways, backwards, sideways, backwards, etc, etc. Not negativity folks....facts!!!

The R-word wasn't mentioned by anyone who has any kind of knowledge about football. The media might have had a bit of fun with it, and it brought in some gullible people to believe but that was about it.

You are a barrel of optimism this evening :P never said it was a good season and I know it's over 38 games but you can't disagree that since Christmas it's an up turn in form. That is a fact too

I really think it's you that might have lost the run of yourself. You cant say been 3rd in the table since Christmas isn't an up turn in form. Come on now your just been ridiculous

Unless it can translate into consistency next season it means absolutely nothing. I have no faith in the manager. I think its too big a job for him and some of his team selection has been beyond baffling this season. Starting in Villareal without a striker. Taking off Auba who had just missed a chance. But picking an inexperienced manager is a greater symptom of the ill health the club is in. Charge the dearest prices in the league and put a rookie in charge. the Stan Kroenke way.

Unless it can translate into consistency next season it means absolutely nothing. I have no faith in the manager. I think its too big a job for him and some of his team selection has been beyond baffling this season. Starting in Villareal without a striker. Taking off Auba who had just missed a chance. But picking an inexperienced manager is a greater symptom of the ill health the club is in. Charge the dearest prices in the league and put a rookie in charge. the Stan Kroenke way.

We can agree and be happy with your first line, it's has to translate into early season form next year..everyone on here agrees with that 100%

You are a barrel of optimism this evening :P never said it was a good season and I know it's over 38 games but you can't disagree that since Christmas it's an up turn in form. That is a fact too

But it's a meaningless one. I've never seen a trophy been presented for best form in the second half of the season. Its clutching at straws. The football I witnessed tonight is the same crap we've been churning out for well over a decade. Static and tepid to watch. Pseudointellects in the media on the likes of the Guardian trying to gaslight us into thinking its a form of art we are witnessing. Its shíte, and it will win absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    The R-word wasn't mentioned by anyone who has any kind of knowledge about football. The media might have had a bit of fun with it, and it brought in some gullible people to believe but that was about it.

Our form was pure stink and luckily things picked up around Christmas because our manager was for the door then, even in this mess of a club.

I don’t see what any of this bickering achieves. Arteta was our manager yesterday, today and will be tomorrow. He’ll take us into next season and his fate will more than likely rely on what he can get out of this absolute shower of chancers until Christmas. If he passes the test he’ll then be scrutinised on the rest of the season

I have feck all interest in being in the Europa League and absolutely none in being in the Europa conference. A draw at the weekend should put paid to the latter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Seriously lads, no point debating the manager stuff. We've all made ourselves clear on where we stand on him by now.

He's going nowhere for now. Take a few months off from it, you'll drive yourself mad otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

But it's a meaningless one. I've never seen a trophy been presented for best form in the second half of the season. Its clutching at straws. The football I witnessed tonight is the same crap we've been churning out for well over a decade. Static and tepid to watch. Pseudointellects in the media on the likes of the Guardian trying to gaslight us into thinking its a form of art we are witnessing. Its shíte, and it will win absolutely nothing.

It’s mad it was quoted a few weeks back about this post Xmas form and some have clung to it. You’d swear we have been in super form, we lost 5 and drew 5, our performances have been dreadful. Anyone who watches football and forms a judgement from that couldn’t see a team progressing.
    Convincing themselves Arteta is leading a clear out when in reality the club have really just been cutting costs from the top down because of Covid and lost revenues.

I judge by what I see not some money ball stats

Soups123 wrote: »
    I judge by what I see not some money ball stats

Form since Christmas is a million miles from money ball stats :pac: Maybe watch the movie again. Nice sound byte though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

The R-word was only mentioned by the most dramatic of posters on here

How many games do you go to a game? The amount of people who bring this up who don't go to games. What difference does it make then. I'd rather see them double the prices for tickets if it meant having more money to spend on players. Doesn't affect me. To go see a game costs me half a grand, and the cost of the ticket isn't the biggest part of that.

FixitFelix wrote: »
    The R-word was only mentioned by the most dramatic of posters on here

Our form was absolutely awful at the time. I never thought we would actually relegate, but I couldn't foresee Arteta remaining in the job at that point, even with the joke ownership we have.

How many games do you go to a game? The amount of people who bring this up who don't go to games. What difference does it make then. I'd rather see them double the prices for tickets if it meant having more money to spend on players. Doesn't affect me. To go see a game costs me half a grand, and the cost of the ticket isn't the biggest part of that.

It doesn't effect me either. I've been over there a few times. However, I feel sorry for the fan base from the area who go to every game and have been doing so since they were probably children. They deserve far better than the sh1te they are having to endure. If the extortionate prices were going toward a top class manager and invested better in scouting and recruitment then well and good. They are not. They invested in a rookie manager and paid through the nose for flops like Willian and Partey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

What a horrendous attitude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Incredible loan spell for Joe Willock, scoring in 6 consecutive games. If those goals had of been for us we would be in pole for a Europa spot, we cannot afford to give those goals from a midfielder away as we don’t have a scoring mid really and Joe has proven he can score so defo get him back into the squad next season in place of Ceballos and give him a run of games, I think he has serious potential

Incredible loan spell for Joe Willock, scoring in 6 consecutive games. If those goals had of been for us we would be in pole for a Europa spot, we cannot afford to give those goals from a midfielder well and Joe has proven he can score so defo get him back into the squad next season in place of Ceballos and give him a run of games, I think he has serious potential

Definitely shouldn't close the book on him. I do wonder though is he stifled at Arsenal??? When he emerged first, he was playing with a bit of freedom and looked decent. Remember that rocket he scored at Anfield in the league cup??

Arteta's coaching seems to have subdued a lot of our attackers. We are not even creating many chances. Would do no harm to have another look at him. Nelson should be put out on loan next season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Incredible loan spell for Joe Willock, scoring in 6 consecutive games. If those goals had of been for us we would be in pole for a Europa spot, we cannot afford to give those goals from a midfielder away as we don’t have a scoring mid really and Joe has proven he can score so defo get him back into the squad next season in place of Ceballos and give him a run of games, I think he has serious potential

Agree with what your saying, scoring for Newcastle who struggled earlier in the season to score goals is no mean thing, we need to get more youth into the side like willock, saka, esr, mart,would have not being better since Christmas to blood these young players for next season and start to build a team.

Agree with what your saying, scoring for Newcastle who struggled earlier in the season to score goals is no mean thing, we need to get more youth into the side like willock, saka, esr, mart,would have not being better since Christmas to blood these young players for next season and start to build a team.

And Balogun too. Wonder will he be loaned out??? Anyone see Azeez goal the other day for the u18s??? Another serious talent.

https://dailycannon.com/2021/05/miguel-azeez-goal-vs-chelsea/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Who will qualify for the 2021/22 Europa League?

This is where a big change has come into play. In previous years, three Europa League spots have always been up for grabs, but the introduction of the Europa Conference League (more information on that to come) makes the situation slightly more different.

The club that finishes fifth in the Premier League table will qualify for the Europa League alongside the winners of the FA Cup, which are Leicester.

In the event of the Foxes finishing in the top five of the Premier League, only the sixth-placed team will qualify for the Europa League

As things stand, West Ham are in pole position to claim sixth spot following their 3-1 win at West Brom which has seen them leapfrog Tottenham in the table after Ryan Mason's side were beaten at home by Aston Villa.

Arsenal could take advantage of Tottenham's slip-up and finish above their north London rivals by beating Brighton and hoping Spurs lose at Leicester.

That will be enough to finish in the top seven as long as Everton fail to beat Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium.

However, because their maximum points total is 61 they can't catch West Ham who are on 62 points so there will be no Europa League football for the Gunners next season.

However, if the Hammers lose to Southampton at home, that would open the door for Spurs and Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

So they've added this Europa conference thing but instead of giving an extra European place they've just lumped the 7th place team with it?

I'd love a st totteringhams day but that shíte is to be avoided at all costs. At least the Europa League has a prize worth winning at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I'm going to take a break from boards for a while. Some of the opinions here are so polar-opposite to what I consider normal. I cannot fathom the chasm of difference from people who support the SAME club as me. Me and my family have enough going on in our lives, rather than be sitting at a keyboard, digesting and digressing the opinions of OUR club... It's time for a break.

Oiche mhaith!

emmetlego wrote: »
    I'm going to take a break from boards for a while. Some of the opinions here are so polar-opposite to what I consider normal. I cannot fathom the chasm of difference from people who support the SAME club as me. Me and my family have enough going on in our lives, rather than be sitting at a keyboard, digesting and digressing the opinions of OUR club... It's time for a break.

Oiche mhaith!

With all due respect, no one forced you to sit in front of the keyboard. if you don't like the fact that people have differing opinions then perhaps you should give the internet a skip completely. Thats what boards.ie, is all about, different viewpoints, discussion, debate. It doesn't make me or anyone else less of a supporter just because we refuse to compliment the Emperor on his new clothes. We can see he is wearing none, and the table backs this up.

Fair play for your optimism. If you can draw even a sprinkle out of Arsenal at the moment then that's a fair achievement.

emmetlego wrote: »

Oiche mhaith!

You'll be greatly missed. :( I'd ask you to reconsider but I know exactly how you feel. The thread will be tough over the summer.

It's bizarre that Arteta has gone on his longest run off league wins and there are people who can't even get off they soap box long enough to acknowledge that. Some posters are so blinded by their hate for the man that they can't even appreciate a win for the club they support and somehow try twist it into a negative. Sickening and it's unfortunate that it drives good and balanced posters like emmetlego (and nearly beers before) away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

I think this evening was the first time in my time watching Arsenal that I've turned off an arsenal match. We were the better team but the calls against us infuriated me, they should of had two reds, and one of the people who should of received them scored their equaliser fouling one of our players, the big smile on him afterwards tells you he knew he got away with murder.

It's the hope that gets you, or it did me last night, was like oh spurs have lost we might still get 7th and then VAR screwed us hard. Was delighted to see the result that we came back, which is mad after being apathetic after a lot of our results. Supporting us is definitely quite the roller coaster!

I know a lot of people are saying we'd be better off without the Thursday night distraction but it's the competition we've come closest to winning in recent years, plus we might finish above Spurs in getting qualification which is always a massive plus to me. It's either going to be a very exciting or disappointing day on Saturday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭smilerf

Jesus christ
    We won
    I hate to see you all if we lost
    Cheer up

You'll be greatly missed. :( I'd ask you to reconsider but I know exactly how you feel. The thread will be tough over the summer.

It's bizarre that Arteta has gone on his longest run off league wins and there are people who can't even get off they soap box long enough to acknowledge that. Some posters are so blinded by their hate for the man that they can't even appreciate a win for the club they support and somehow try twist it into a negative. Sickening and it's unfortunate that it drives good and balanced posters like emmetlego (and nearly beers before) away.

It’s post like this that kill the thread for me. Some of the hyperbol stuff... nobody hates Arteta, nobody who sees and raises concern with a 10th place position is being negative they are being realistic, seeing 4 wins at the end of a rotten season is not a sign of improvement, it’s 4 games. There is no need to twist the negative, 99% of posters agree the ownership is rotten, the manager is inexperienced, the league performances have been poor, the EL exit was poor, that being 10th is shocking we all agree on that, some demand more others want you to put on the happy hat or risk being called fake fan.

Emmet is 100% balanced others who are more positive leaning could learn from that. As too can those who are negative leaning......

Putting all that aside, football is an emotive sport, supporting Arsenal for most of us will be one of a very few small constants in life, from the day you pick your club to the day you leave this earth, other than family nearly everything else constantly changes in life, so in a way there is no ‘getting away’ from Arsenal so you have to live with its reality, that makes it more emotive.

Anybody think Arsenal will make another move for Zaha on the summer? Or will that left side be Martinellis come the start of the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Latest reports are that we've stepped up things for Buendia due to the uncertainty of Odegaards future which is largely based on Zidanes I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

Soups123 wrote: »
    It’s post like this that kill the thread for me. Some of the hyperbol stuff... nobody hates Arteta, nobody who sees and raises concern with a 10th place position is being negative they are being realistic, seeing 4 wins at the end of a rotten season is not a sign of improvement, it’s 4 games. There is no need to twist the negative, 99% of posters agree the ownership is rotten, the manager is inexperienced, the league performances have been poor, the EL exit was poor, that being 10th is shocking we all agree on that, some demand more others want you to put on the happy hat or risk being called fake fan.

Emmet is 100% balanced others who are more positive leaning could learn from that. As too can those who are negative leaning......

Putting all that aside, football is an emotive sport, supporting Arsenal for most of us will be one of a very few small constants in life, from the day you pick your club to the day you leave this earth, other than family nearly everything else constantly changes in life, so in a way there is no ‘getting away’ from Arsenal so you have to live with its reality, that makes it more emotive.

Totally agree. 4 wins in a row for me is not going to cover up the fact that we have just had our worst season in decades. When the pressure was on the lads didn't show up and winning meaningless games now when the pressure if off doesn't "cheer me up" or fill me with any sort of confidence.

Absolutely huge summer of transfer business needed, and I think that is something we can all agree on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Safe to say we only started playing ESR on December. With Willian gone (hope he leaves) that opens the door for regular minutes. That being said we need another 10 if Odegaard goes back to Madrid and talks about Buendia ongoing.

Need another MF to partner Partey and our RB and LB issue to sort out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Partey has been a disaster imo. Elneny with a reputation essentially. I really hope he steps up next season.

greendom wrote: »
    Partey has been a disaster imo. Elneny with a reputation essentially. I really hope he steps up next season.

I think he will. There are glimpses of his ability and I think he’s just acclimatising. I think him and Pepe could become real stars for us

It's bizarre that Arteta has gone on his longest run off league wins and there are people who can't even get off they soap box long enough to acknowledge that. Some posters are so blinded by their hate for the man that they can't even appreciate a win for the club they support and somehow try twist it into a negative

More points on the board than last season and still one game to play. It’s definitely been a season of disappointment but all hope hasn’t been lost. A good transfer window is very important

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Partey needs a decent player alongside him in midfield and if he gets that then he will flourish next season

And yet it's Xhaka that has been carrying him. Who would you like, Messi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Good win last night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Seriously lads, no point debating the manager stuff. We've all made ourselves clear on where we stand on him by now.

He's going nowhere for now. Take a few months off from it, you'll drive yourself mad otherwise.

wenger out!!!

:)

greendom wrote: »

Partey a completely different player when he actually has a midfield partner, ove been one of his biggest critics but with elneny or xhaka in there he can be excellent

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Partey a completely different player when he actually has a midfield partner, ove been one of his biggest critics but with elneny or xhaka in there he can be excellent

Yeah, Partey proved for years at Atletico that he is great at what he does, in the right team with decent players around him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Ok so 9th on 58 points, with 8th placed Everton on 59 points and 7th potential European place currently held by Spurs also on 59 points.

Spurs are away to Leicester, so I'd say their points total is final

Everton away to Man City, their points total could be final as well.

I know it hasn't been a great season, but if we got the points to finish 7th and grabbed Europa cup off of Spurs, I wouldn't be too unhappy.... ;)

Ok so 9th on 58 points, with 8th placed Everton on 59 points and 7th potential European place currently held by Spurs also on 59 points.

Spurs are away to Leicester, so I'd say their points total is final

Everton away to Man City, their points total could be final as well.

I know it hasn't been a great season, but if we got the points to finish 7th and grabbed Europa cup off of Spurs, I wouldn't be too unhappy.... ;)

is 7th this new Europa Conference League?

darego wrote: »
    is 7th this new Europa Conference League?

Yep we really don’t want that. Be nice to finish ahead of Spurs for something’s sake but the EC would just hinder us more next year. Arteta would have to take half a squad off too many midweeks for nothing competition

Now if we could use the u21s players and coaches it would be good but I’m sure there’s a sporting integrity issue somewhere there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

If chelsea finish 5th but win the cl, do all European places get shoved down 1 position in the table?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

From answers to the many different questions about what each position means, 7th can only mean Conference league, nothing else regardless of who finishes where and who wins what this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

wonga77 wrote: »
    If chelsea finish 5th but win the cl, do all European places get shoved down 1 position in the table?

No

• Advertisement
Advertisement