Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

In fairness it is a refreshing change, it used to be the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

That's the story on Auba. Returned late from abroad. Still a bit sh*tty of him as captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We’ll take the win even if the opposition was very poor. They were a bit like us when we face the top teams.

Midweek against WHU is a much more difficult game. We’ll need to step up again.

United won again at Norwich playing terrible rubbish. De Gea kept them in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Underground

Good win today. Gotta enjoy them when they come. First goal was a thing of beauty.

I'm okay with how Arteta handled the Auba issue. Non negotiables are just that, non-negotiable. I like that we have standards and the captain should be setting the standard, not falling short of it, and not for the first time.

Keown just mentioned he expects captaincy to change hands, KT's turn perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It must be really hard to be an Arsenal fan when you can't enjoy a 3-0 win.

What's the point of following any team if that's the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Exactly this. All the pissing and moaning about it only being Southampton. They got a draw at the emirates last season. It’s the first league game that Arsenal have won by 3 in 23 games. It could have been even more and they don’t come often enough so I’m not gonna complain on one of the rare good days

They're also 8 points better off than the corresponding fixtures last season. Happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Wenger dined off smashing the lower teams and not winning away to the big teams for years and it regularly got us into the champions league , it's game like West Ham, United and Spurs we'll be judged on this season as long as we continue to smash the likes of Southampton

Looking forward to the West Ham game. Even though they’re a few points ahead of us we should beat them and swap league places. They’re no great shakes and there’s nothing between us and them so home advantage and the team turning up prepared should swing it for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Newcastle are shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Didn't get to see the match only on MotD as I was at the Leinster match but was delighted with what looked like a routine win, could have been more than 3 nil going by the highlights. We have to be doing this consistently though, especially against teams beneath us in the league. Hopefully we get a result against West Ham now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I don't want to seem like some sort of shill ( so I wont post an actual link), but I know it was asked a couple of times - especially by me - about the validity of getting tickets from GeoffArsenal on twitter. I just wanted to say that we got our tickets to Southampton v Arsenal no bother and were delighted with the trip. Tickets weren't cheap, but meh.

Just an option if someone wants to head over and not sit with the plebs 😉

Executive club level seats. Three together

140gbp each

5gbp arsenal store credit

Free entry to museum (closes 1 hour before kick off)

Free self Guided stadium Tour (not available on match days)

Free booze at half time

Free programme

Fairly pricey, but we hadn't gone in a couple of years so it was nice to get away. Seats were above the away support so that was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

They'd regret selling to my lot... The free booze at half time would cripple them!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He's been stripped of the captaincy and won't feature against West Ham. Seems like its escalating. Perhaps he didn't want to take his initial medicine

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Good. Shouldn't have been Captain in the first place to be honest, he never stuck me as super passionate about the club.

Yup. He's finished with us now. Looks like we are in an Ozil type situation again now?

Talk of Odegaard being made captain....surely that can't be true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭djan

Odegaard becoming captain would be such an Arsenal thing to do. It should be someone along the lines of Ramsdale, Tierney, Gabriel.

Yeah, for sure. It really would be ridiculous.

Jesus, we are a joke shop. Auba should never have been made captain in the first place anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Hopefully Auba can attract more interest than Ozil managed. It wasn't that long ago he was scoring goals for fun so he may get a few suitors

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

I think KT would be a good choice as new skipper. Odegaard - I like him and he is a good skin by all accounts, but no. Ramsdale - too soon. Gabriel - I wouldn't hate it if he were made skipper but I don't think the timing is right there.

It's important that it's one of those younger players though. It absolutely cannot be Laca. Partey has shown none of the leadership befitting a captain so he shouldn't get it either.

Imagine the scenes if it were Xhaka, lol.

The fact that he's now got form with this kind of carry on at 2 clubs plus his age plus his recent stats plus his contract means that he might not be easy to shift on?

He does always seem to start strong and will give 1 or 2 years of commitment. At 32 you wouldn't expect much more than that anyway

• Advertisement

Hot take incoming - we now need to try Pepe at centre forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

Right call by the manager.

KT the obvious choice. Interesting to see how it looks from the inside and who gets it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

And please, whoever we pick, do not, under any circumstances, allow the players to pick their own Captain.

Or maybe we could have five captains again! Haha. Shambles that that was. Has to be Tierney surely. That said he's been unlucky with injuries so need a good vice captain too who isn't Xhaka.

He did well playing more centrally with Lille and did pretty well. I'd prefer Martinelli there but Pepe could work too. As long as it's not Nketiah! Do wonder what's happening with Balogun, was meant to be great but can't get a look in while being behind championship level Eddie.

• Advertisement

WHile he has the passion and leadership qualities for sure, I wonder about his proneness to injury. In that sense, Xhaka is really phenomenal but given his other qualities not ideal either.

Brutal. Laca is off at end of season, Holding can't get into 11 and doesn't seem the leader type. Out of those I'd give it to Xhaka but not great really.

Yeah it's not great. I know you don't want to make a rash decision, but it's only kicking the can down the road for a few months, if even. I mean Lacca could have signed a pre contract with someone else come the 1st January! Unless he's just trying a round about way to give it to Xhaka without actually naming him. Again you need to be definitive on this. I wouldn't want it to go to Xhaka but he has to be clear as a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,731 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There are a lot of potential captains in the first team.

Tierney and Ramsdale have been mentioned. Odegaard is captain of Norway. Lokonga captained his last team. White and Gabriel are other possibilities, even Smith-Rowe as a Hale End boy is a a possibility. The problem is that they are all potential captains and hence have an issue. Whether that is keeping a place (Lokonga, Odegaard, Tierney) because of form or injury, being in the wrong position (Ramsdale) or untested as captain (White, Gabriel, Smith-Rowe) is it any wonder therefore that the journalists are speculating on the usual candidates (Xhaka, Laca and Holding).

About the only ones not in line are Saka, Pepe, Tomiyasu and Partey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Just watched the Wenger Documentary, excellent. What a man. Never forget

Mad when u think we sacked him for finishing 6th and we class 6th as a good season now 😬😬

Giving it to Tierney doesn’t seem a great idea as he misses too many games through injury. If he wasn’t as injury prone he’d fully deserve it though. I think Gabriel will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Personally think they should just give captaincy game to game, until the next season. Too many variables and not enough strong characters, while Gab is a good call, think the language barrier is a problem. Fully back Mikel with this if what we hear is true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I agree. Would prefer KT ideally but would have no issue with MO either.

Either way, dont make a big deal of it, select the person & move on.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Lack of English is a massive issue for Gabriel

Only one man for the job IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

Six foot two and he knows kung fu. Gets my vote! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

Arsenal team to face West Ham: Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, White, Gabriel, Tierney, Xhaka, Partey, Odegaard, Saka, Martinelli, Lacazette (c).

Subs: Okwonkwo, Smith Rowe, Maitland-Niles, Holding, Pepe, Tavares, Lokonga. Elneny, Nketiah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

that was a perfectly good Partey tackle

Partey won the ball cleanly there. The referee couldn’t see it but he found some particle on the pitch that shouldn’t be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If only there was some sort of technology to help him see he made an error ?

That's not the time for players to crowd the ref, makes them look like idiots.

Decent side playing half-decent with a competent manager. Should be winning but it's the kind of game I wouldn't fancy us in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Surely it’s gonna lead to the ref being more inclined to fùck us over if the players do things like that. Not like they usually need an excuse anyway.

Advertisement