Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a confirmed vaccine appointment - Post your age and appointment date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

There's two people in my workplace who are in their forties who haven't applied and say they're still thinking about it. I know neither of them have any intention of getting it.

I also have this issue. I'm wondering if I'll be able to look at some of my friends and colleagues the same way I did before the pandemic. Not talking about ppl with genuine concerns. Some simply couldn't give a **** about anyone else once they're not afraid for their own life. I never thought there are so many ppl like that close to me. Thankfully it seems most of us/you aren't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Got it this morning in Mallow. Top marks for efficiency and friendliness at the centre. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

There have been hundreds of thousands of appointments processed by this system without fuss. In anything on this scale you’ll get the odd glitch, but I’m not seeing very many.

Most people seem to be getting appointments within a few days of being texted and most people also seem to be getting appointments in a reasonable time frame.

Also from a technical point of view, it was easy to use. It’s entirely mobile browser friendly and it’s using very solid multi factor authentication to log in, including a text alert that seems to work every bit as fast as logging into Gmail or similarly well put together online services.

The reports from the MVCs are also by and large that they’re friendly and efficient, bar a few incidents of queuing which seem to be very much the exception and could be down to a glitch, which can happen to pretty much any service.

All true, but for the glitches, which as you say are rare, why then can't they be easily and sensibly dealt with once identified rather than this escalation team nonsense which seems no improvement at all to the lot of those being escalated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

xboxdad wrote: »
    I also have this issue. I'm wondering if I'll be able to look at some of my friends and colleagues the same way I did before the pandemic. Not talking about ppl with genuine concerns. Some simply couldn't give a **** about anyone else once they're not afraid for their own life. I never thought there are so many ppl like that close to me. Thankfully it seems most of us/you aren't like that.

Yeah, there's been a couple of people I've been surprised by and it has altered my opinion no doubt. The one with the right wing husband I kind of knew was never going to go for it but the other one I'm surprised by. My brother's in-laws, a couple with two young kids - refuse to get it - they claim their own immune system is all they need and don't seem to care if they pass it on to anyone else if they get it. I thought they were sound enough but it's definitely put a major dent in that. Don't know if I'll look at them the same.

I get that for a massive roll out the system has to be largely automated - but the sweep up system they have for those of us who fall through the cracks is unacceptable. If you get to 21 days without an appointment you are allowed to be escalated. But that turns out to be simply given to a different team who will text you your appointment - but they admit that appointment may not be for another 10 days. Why in gods name, on the 21st day, can't they simply manually add you to that day's list in your nearest MVC? I have 2 MVCs doing 1st dose MRNA vaccines today (to people born 4 and 5 years after me) within 4km of my front door, why can't they simply add me to the list in one of those centres now? We hear there are many no shows each day. I can be at either of those MVCs with 15 mins notice so how can they not accommodate me? There is no justification for the sweep up system being so poor and so further stressful...The last thing you need to be told after waiting for a text for 21 days is that you should stand by for a text in 5 to 7 days!

At this stage I think you should go down to one of those vaccine centres and explain the situation. Say you registered over 3 weeks ago, tried the helpline but still haven't got anything sorted. If you go near the end of the day they will probably have spares, and you're already in the system. Nothing to lose, and I've heard of others getting vaccinated in this way.

• Advertisement

Flying Fox wrote: »
    At this stage I think you should go down to one of those vaccine centres and explain the situation. Say you registered over 3 weeks ago, tried the helpline but still haven't got anything sorted. If you go near the end of the day they will probably have spares, and you're already in the system. Nothing to lose, and I've heard of others getting vaccinated in this way.

Thanks. I may try that. Nothing to lose......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Thanks. I may try that. Nothing to lose......

Go down and say you got a call. My wife got a call and told to go to our nearest vaccination centre within the hour. While she was there she hear another guy talking about how his friend had got a call as well. He was so fed up of waiting he chanced his arm and went down saying he had gotten a call as well. He got the vaccine sorted there and then.

Go down and say you got a call. My wife got a call and told to go to our nearest vaccination centre within the hour. While she was there she hear another guy talking about how his friend had got a call as well. He was so fed up of waiting he chanced his arm and went down saying he had gotten a call as well. He got the vaccine sorted there and then.

I can try that in the second centre if the truth doesn't work in the first! But the scary thing is there seem to be people 4 years older than me without appointments. I'm far from the worst case on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rks

I can try that in the second centre if the truth doesn't work in the first! But the scary thing is there seem to be people 4 years older than me without appointments. I'm far from the worst case on here.

Its a bit hit and miss. I have heard some people got the vaccines by going to the center but I tried that and it didn't work for me. So it depends on who you talk to there.

I am thinking of giving one more try. Last time I went there in the afternoon but I think you will have a better chance towards the end of the day when they know if they have leftovers or cancelled / no show appointments.

I can try that in the second centre if the truth doesn't work in the first!

That's a good plan. Hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement

rks wrote: »
    Its a bit hit and miss. I have heard some people got the vaccines by going to the center but I tried that and it didn't work for me. So it depends on who you talk to there.

I am thinking of giving one more try. Last time I went there in the afternoon but I think you will have a better chance towards the end of the day when they know if they have leftovers or cancelled / no show appointments.

Had you been waiting 3 weeks at that point?

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Had you been waiting 3 weeks at that point?

Yes

Anyone here have an appointment for Aviva today and what they are getting?

If its J&J I will defiantly go an give another try. I just want this to be over with one shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

Age 41 . Registered Saturday 5rd june. Text today
    Vaccination Date Sat 12th . Breaffy co mayo
    = RAPID

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Just back from jab#1 at UCD, was an amazingly well run operation. Free parking, easy to navigate. Was done within *8* minutes of arriving!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Age 44, registered last Wednesday 2 June.

Got text yesterday morning, confirming appointment today. UCD O'Reilly Hall.

Pfizer first jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bored Capri

Anyone here have an appointment for Aviva today and what they are getting?

If its J&J I will defiantly go an give another try. I just want this to be over with one shot.

Go to the Aviva today with your text message. I believe it’s j&j day. Tell them you’ve fallen through the cracks, give the security guy your name & number & ask him to check with the registration desk, I’m fairly sure they will slot you in. They are very accommodating once you’re registered.

And yes, they have a manual print off with names of people who got last minute calls to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

Oh
    Great stuff.
    Drogheda was so far behind seem right back in the mix

Hmm not so sure now. I know a number of people 45 and above around me still waiting for their first appointment. I can't figure out what (if any) logic or criteria HSE is following in scheduling these shots.

PS: This also makes me think the cases of 41-42 year olds getting vaccinated around the country might not be the real picture of that area either - could it be possible that they have higher "falling thru the crack" rate in their area and people are generally too polite to complain about it. Bizarre!!

Go to the Aviva today with your text message. I believe it’s j&j day. Tell them you’ve fallen through the cracks, give the security guy your name & number & ask him to check with the registration desk, I’m fairly sure they will slot you in. They are very accommodating once you’re registered.

And yes, they have a manual print off with names of people who got last minute calls to come in.

Guess what. I was thinking of going out around 4.30 PM. Just thought I will do a quick check on the portal. No text yet but saw this:

Vaccine type: Comirnaty (Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 Vaccine)
    Date: Saturday, 12 Jun 2021
    Time: 09:35 AM

I was hoping to get the J&J. So that I dont need to wait for another month for 2nd dose.

Not not sure what to do. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Guess what. I was thinking of going out around 4.30 PM. Just thought I will do a quick check on the portal. No text yet but saw this:

I was hoping to get the J&J. So that I dont need to wait for another month for 2nd dose.

But you could have the second Pfizer dose before you ever get an appointment for J and J

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    But you could have the second Pfizer dose before you ever get an appointment for J and J

Until now I didnt have any appointment. Heard that Aviva is doing J&J today, so thought I might go there in the evening to see if I can get that. Some people have got it that way.

I guess even if I go today they can see in the system that I now have an appointment for Pfizer on Saturday.

I was waiting for over 3 weeks to get an appointment, called the helpline and contacted through twitter handle numerous times. Just when I thought I will chance my arm today, they have sent me an appointment. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Age - 49
    Registered -11/5/21
    Appointment received - 8/6/21
    Appointment date - 10/6/21
    Location - UCD (Live in Laois)
    Vaccine - Pfizer.

But......Got a text in the last few minutes to say the appointment has been cancelled and they will be in touch over the coming weeks.:rolleyes:
    Sounds like a bit of a system glitch. Coming weeks is just a standard message, it could be a lot faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bored Capri

Head in, try it, if it doesn’t work, take the Pfizer, j&j supplies seem patchy at the moment.

J&j was supposed to be in pharmacies this week but haven’t seen any updates on that.

Gavan Reilly just tweeted pharmacies to cover over 50s with j&j next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Until now I didnt have any appointment. Heard that Aviva is doing J&J today, so thought I might go there in the evening to see if I can get that. Some people have got it that way.

I guess even if I go today they can see in the system that I now have an appointment for Pfizer on Saturday.

I was waiting for over 3 weeks to get an appointment, called the helpline and contacted through twitter handle numerous times. Just when I thought I will chance my arm today, they have sent me an appointment. :rolleyes:

Sure head down anyway, the people at the Aviva might still sort you out

Furze99 wrote: »
    Luke O'Neill, Kingston Mills - both public voices on these issues.

So what vaccine are you taking?? And if offered an AZ jab, would you take it??
    That's just two of them! Yep, whatever vaccine is about to go into my arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Talisman

All true, but for the glitches, which as you say are rare, why then can't they be easily and sensibly dealt with once identified rather than this escalation team nonsense which seems no improvement at all to the lot of those being escalated?
    The reason they can't be dealt with is more than likely because it's a case of "Computer says NO!". The system is automated and by the sounds of it the implementation is naive. By that I mean there is no intelligence provided for it.

In order to push as many people through the system as quickly as possible the system appears to be taking people out of a queue for their local centre and adding them to the queue in a centre that has additional capacity. The computer doesn't know that the distance to the centre is a factor because it hasn't been told to care about that. Its role is to push X thousand people through Y vaccination centres as quickly as the number of staff available to perform the vaccinations and the inventory of vaccines will allow.

The fact that there is a support team to handle the cases where people fall through the cracks and they don't actually have the capacity to intervene further demonstrates the degree to which the vaccination system is automated.

It would be interesting to see the data for the number of people who have fallen through the cracks.

Talisman wrote: »
    The reason they can't be dealt with is more than likely because it's a case of "Computer says NO!". The system is automated and by the sounds of it the implementation is naive. By that I mean there is no intelligence provided for it.

In order to push as many people through the system as quickly as possible the system appears to be taking people out of a queue for their local centre and adding them to the queue in a centre that has additional capacity. The computer doesn't know that the distance to the centre is a factor because it hasn't been told to care about that. Its role is to push X thousand people through Y vaccination centres as quickly as the number of staff available to perform the vaccinations and the inventory of vaccines will allow.

The fact that there is a support team to handle the cases where people fall through the cracks and they don't actually have the capacity to intervene further demonstrates the degree to which the vaccination system is automated.

It would be interesting to see the data for the number of people who have fallen through the cracks.
    Hmm, poster has absolutely no idea how the system is set up but still explains it anyway. Far more likely to be a glitch as we would have heard a lot more of this before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

is_that_so wrote: »
    Sounds like a bit of a system glitch. Coming weeks is just a standard message, it could be a lot faster.

It was a lot faster. Five minutes ago and in Portlaoise for next Monday. Better not cancel this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Gavan Reilly just tweeted pharmacies to cover over 50s with j&j next week.

Hmmm.. does that mean you can walk into the pharmacy and get the vaccine if you are over 50? Just wonder if this will be more for outside Dublin though, areas where vaccination centers are far off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Lumpy.Monkey

The lost 50's seem to all be in the same group. Just got my SMS too.

Advertisement