Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Towns & villages of Galway

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The problem with going outside even the small towns is you are basically consigning yourself to living on a virtual island. You can't do anything without the car and its miles to anything beyond a small shop and you are taking your life into your hands if you try going for a walk or a cycle

It all depends what your priorities are

"Taking your life into your hands", lol such a dramatic post.

In reality though - are people taking all these "options" you speak of? CSO stats dont show that
    "Safer" - is very subjective, and it really depends on where in the Country you are talking about, big difference between boreens of Woodford v's Claregalway (East of Corrib) and Bearna v's Carna (West of the Corrib)

"Boreens of Woodford", we actually have Derrycrag Nature Reserve for all our walking needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Redkite200

Oranmore is a lovely village

Not sure 'village' will apply to Oranmore now it's almost like / soon to be a Galway city suburb like Knocknacarra or somewhere given the amount of new estates that have gone up or are going up from the coast road all the way to Maree now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Redkite200 wrote: »
    Not sure 'village' will apply to Oranmore now it's almost like / soon to be a Galway city suburb like Knocknacarra or somewhere given the amount of new estates that have gone up or are going up from the coast road all the way to Maree now.
    Agree - Oranmore is far from a village.

"Taking your life into your hands", lol such a dramatic post.

It's based on multiple first hand experiences when I had a place in the country. I lived on a boreen, connected to a local primary which connected to a regional road. I tried to go for walks/cycles and gave up after too many close calls.

kippy wrote: »

"Village" helps the house prices! Like the "Village" Salthill, far from a village too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Wiggywiggle

It’s hardly a town or a suburb (yet)

Last population cound was just under 5000. That was the 2016 census.
    Four times bigger than Claregalway.
    There's nothing villagy about that size of a population.

I'd say that could have gone up by a couple of thousand more in the intervening 5 years.

It's based on multiple first hand experiences when I had a place in the country. I lived on a boreen, connected to a local primary which connected to a regional road. I tried to go for walks/cycles and gave up after too many close calls.

You’re an active travel activist. Don’t pretend like you’ve no skin in the game of making sure this guy doesn’t become one of the hated Single Occupant Cars...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Sounds like a bad spot

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Yintang

Not sure if it was mentioned, and I know you were asking about other locations, but have you thought about Renmore or Mervue? Walking /cycling distance to town, beside the sea and some lovely quiet mature parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭tamara25

Headford town is roughly 30 mins from Galway city when the traffic is not too bad. One negative is it only has Joyce’s supermarket for food shopping. But Headford is also very near to Tuam and ballinrobe. I prefer Tuam town myself & people there are very friendly but the n17 is really bad with traffic. And as another person mentioned earlier Burke’s do a very good bus service daily for workers & students

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Claremorris 40 mins from Parkmore,great road,lovley town,knock another 10 mins on same road,maybe less.

You’re an active travel activist. Don’t pretend like you’ve no skin in the game of making sure this guy doesn’t become one of the hated Single Occupant Cars...

You've rumbled my plans to get the country folk back into horse n carts

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Snoozecruise

Yintang wrote: »
    Not sure if it was mentioned, and I know you were asking about other locations, but have you thought about Renmore or Mervue? Walking /cycling distance to town, beside the sea and some lovely quiet mature parts.

Yes it is coming into our sight now, a few houses popping up in Monivea Park ideal location work/city wise.

I don't know much about the area? Bar the Castlepark and Ballybane facebook residents page.

Would it be a safe area for walking/running in the evening?

• Advertisement

Yes it is coming into our sight now, a few houses popping up in Monivea Park ideal location work/city wise.

I don't know much about the area? Bar the Castlepark and Ballybane facebook residents page.

I would class those areas as all IN town.

tamara25 wrote: »
    Headford town is roughly 30 mins from Galway city when the traffic is not too bad. One negative is it only has Joyce’s supermarket for food shopping. But Headford is also very near to Tuam and ballinrobe. I prefer Tuam town myself & people there are very friendly but the n17 is really bad with traffic. And as another person mentioned earlier Burke’s do a very good bus service daily for workers & students

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes Joyces would not be ideal. Glad to hear about the people, but I will take your word for the traffic :) rather take the advice now than find out when stuck in traffic later! The bus is great too!

I would class those areas as all IN town.

Yes perhaps I should have states areas opposed to towns. Open to everything :) bar anything over the bridge.

Yes perhaps I should have states areas opposed to towns. Open to everything :) bar anything over the bridge.

Ah sorry. I thought you wanted to live outside the city based on your initial post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Absolutely safe to walk/run in the evenings. You've St James pitches which is surrounded by paths. It's used for walking/running/golf/football/frisbee/kites on a regular basis, especially spring and summer. Plenty of decent road running around too.

• Advertisement

Last population cound was just under 5000. That was the 2016 census.
    Four times bigger than Claregalway.
    There's nothing villagy about that size of a population.

I'd say that could have gone up by a couple of thousand more in the intervening 5 years.

Well it is called Órán Mór

:cool:

How is it not a town?

It's got multiple large supermarkets, multiple banks, schools etc and has a sizeable population.

I'm from a town with less than 20% the population of Oranmore and never heard it being called a village!

Craughwell seems to have reasonably priced houses and isn't too far from the city but the problem is there isn't really anything in it as regards shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

Craughwell seems to have reasonably priced houses and isn't too far from the city but the problem is there isn't really anything in it as regards shops.

The Spar shop is very well stocked and has most things you might need between larger supermarket trips. It would be great to have a butcher, larger supermarket etc but I guess for the size of the village and proximity to Oranmore and Loughrea it’s not needed. The cafe is lovely though

loriexxx wrote: »
    The Spar shop is very well stocked and has most things you might need between larger supermarket trips. It would be great to have a butcher, larger supermarket etc but I guess for the size of the village and proximity to Oranmore and Loughrea it’s not needed. The cafe is lovely though

Yeah the Spar is good all right, smart move having Supermacs there as well, they seem to do a lively trade.

loriexxx wrote: »

Spars like Joyces and the like are all quite expensive. Okay for light shopping for bits and bobs maybe but they have big margins on most grocery items.

Claregalway, Oranmore, Loughrea, Athenry, Headford, Kinvara, even Gort with the motorway are all decent options I would say but depends on the OP's budget is with buying or renting etc.

In general it seems house prices are starting to spiral again.

Advertisement