Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver Support

Options
  • 10-05-2021 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

I am gobsmacked to discover - on checking my PayPal account - that this "thing" (non-tecchi here!) has installed on my system. I tried to investigate and read THIS:-

"According to the IT experts, developers of this PUP use a popular distribution tactic, called bundling, which helps the application to enter the computer unnoticed. So, no matter that it is presented as an innovative tool, which can be used for detecting missing, out-of-date, and corrupted drivers[1], users are annoyed by the fact that they are not asked for the permission to install the software and started calling it Driver Support virus in online forums."

I would deeply appreciate information from anyone who knows about this. Given the comments above, how do I eliminate it from my system safely and completely?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

From a read of that, it should just uninstall normally via the control panel. It may be referred to as a virus, but that's just a derogatory term, it doesn't replicate as one.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Chisler2

Thank you Spear! I am now confident to just delete. I find these "surprises" unsettling as I don't know enough about internet tech. Googling the unasked-for programme elicited links to sites with directions on how to delete it. I did not open those in case they were "phishing".

Your advice is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Chisler2 wrote: »
    I am gobsmacked to discover - on checking my PayPal account - that this "thing" (non-tecchi here!) has installed on my system. I tried to investigate and read THIS:-

"According to the IT experts, developers of this PUP use a popular distribution tactic, called bundling, which helps the application to enter the computer unnoticed. So, no matter that it is presented as an innovative tool, which can be used for detecting missing, out-of-date, and corrupted drivers[1], users are annoyed by the fact that they are not asked for the permission to install the software and started calling it Driver Support virus in online forums."

I would deeply appreciate information from anyone who knows about this. Given the comments above, how do I eliminate it from my system safely and completely?

I would be more cautious, I assume you are using Windows 10, using a second laptop/PC download windows 10 on USB, and completely reinstall the system.

And in the future perhaps using VirtualBox for non-essential browsings or software testing.

markmoto wrote: »
    I would be more cautious, I assume you are using Windows 10, using a second laptop/PC download windows 10 on USB, and completely reinstall the system.

That sounds serious! I cannot do the sort-out you suggest and have but one device for everything (laptop)!!! If it is as serious as you imply 'll take it to the computer shop that helps with all my tech issues.

Appreciate your help. These things are always a worry. I use WebRoot on this system and assumed it safeguarded me from this kind of issue but it appears not!?

• Advertisement

Chisler2 wrote: »
    That sounds serious! I cannot do the sort-out you suggest and have but one device for everything (laptop)!!! If it is as serious as you imply 'll take it to the computer shop that helps with all my tech issues.

Appreciate your help. These things are always a worry. I use WebRoot on this system and assumed it safeguarded me from this kind of issue but it appears not!?

Reinstall Windows from USB Only.
    Step by step
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9GnWYKyyYo

In the future for best protection, I would suggest using a virtual box. (cost-free)
    In case something goes wrong you can have another fresh clone running in minutes. And the main system remains worry-free.
    Check this out
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX75Z-4MEoM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I don't understand your first line - what has Paypal got to do with this programme?

Sounds like it was just bundled with something else you installed, it's a common trick, often you think you are hitting accept on terms & conditions, or installing the original software you downloaded, but you're accepted to install this bundled software as well.

It's completely normal and very common with loads of well known and popular free programmes like torrent clients, web browsers, etc.

Just uninstall Driver Support from the control panel.

Talk of re-installing Win10 from scratch are overkill.....suggestions that you use virtual machines is a massively dramatic over-reaction.

It is a useless programme (as are all of those driver update tools) but it's legit and it's not a virus.

That is reassuring thank you! Checking my PayPal account alerted me to a monthly standing payment which began March 2021 to these people. I then searched for information on how to log into "my account" on their website and find I am not registered.

It was not "bundled" with something else I installed. I use a laptop for email and video conferencing.

My concern was that I considered myself properly protected from random stuff I do not choose, coming onto my safe clean system. As I wrote..........I am subscribed to WebRoot.

Thank you for your advice and your confidence that nothing too worrying will result.

The suggested YouTube videos are very interesting and useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Well that is strange, but someone must have installed it. If it's genuinely Driver Support, it's not something that would just magically appear. Does anyone else use the laptop? Is the Driver Support programme literally installed on the laptop?

If you're paying a monthly sub, someone definitely signed up for it somehow - they would have no way whatsoever of just manually charging your PayPal account.

Homelander wrote: »
    Well that is strange, but someone must have installed it. If it's genuinely Driver Support, it's not something that would just magically appear. Does anyone else use the laptop? Is the Driver Support programme literally installed on the laptop?

If you're paying a monthly sub, someone definitely signed up for it somehow - they would have no way whatsoever of just manually charging your PayPal account.

if they managed to install team viewer like malware they can do pretty much
    and webroot wont help.

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »

Subscription now cancelled without hassle. Laptop clean as a whistle without security issues. Problem solved! Thanks to all who offered advice.

Advertisement