Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Break vs Parental Leave for treatment of long term illness?

Options
  • 10-05-2021 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

I am thinking about taking a 6 Months / 1 Yr, break from my work, to take time for treatment of my long term illness. Currently working in Public Sector as a permanent employee and the role is not that flexible.

I am thinking about taking either a Career Break or Parental Leave. Which would be the best choice among these - Pros and Cons?

Also during the career break / parental leave from my current job, would it be possible to work in another public sector role?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

TestLink wrote: »
    I am thinking about taking a 6 Months / 1 Yr, break from my work, to take time for treatment of my long term illness. Currently working in Public Sector as a permanent employee and the role is not that flexible.

I am thinking about taking either a Career Break or Parental Leave. Which would be the best choice among these - Pros and Cons?

Also during the career break / parental leave from my current job, would it be possible to work in another public sector role?

Cant comment on the pros and cons but is sick leave not an option in the first instance

It isnt possible to take another role in the public sector while on career break - that is one of the conditions. Also isnt a career break 1 year min - it is in my work place.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭TestLink

Cant comment on the pros and cons but is sick leave not an option in the first instance

It isnt possible to take another role in the public sector while on career break - that is one of the conditions. Also isnt a career break 1 year min - it is in my work place.

What about parental leave then? Can I work in another place (part time) during parental leave?

What about parental leave then? Can I work in another place (part time) during parental leave?

apologies I dont know - perhaps ask your HR. Those documents should be available online from your employer. I wouldnt think so as there would be a tax implication - work in the private sector is fine but not public sector as leave is for a particular reason.

Why not check your sick leave entitlements though especially if its long term sick leave or look into the possibilities of transferring to more flexible role.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

The point of parental leave is to take unpaid leave from work to spend time looking after your children. In addition, when on parental leave you are regarded for employment rights purposes as still working for your employer. Based on that, working part time would be a non runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Can you not just ask your current employer can you work reduced hours / part-time for a while due to your illness and get a medical letter supporting this kind of an arrangement? I am sure they may be open to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I am thinking about taking a 6 Months / 1 Yr, break from my work, to take time for treatment of my long term illness. I am thinking about taking either a Career Break or Parental Leave.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if you took parental leave wouldn't that mean you're lying about the reason for the break? If so, that seems off to me so I'd try to keep things honest.

Parental leave is max 14 weeks in one year, unless you have multiples or have a partner in the same employer who can transfer their leave to you. Also its at the employers discretion how you take it, in blocks of weeks, days or even hours.

The purpose of parental leave is for a parent to take care of children, so if the employer discovered you were working elsewhere, they can cancel your parental leave. (It would come under abuse of parental leave).

You can work while on a career break, but not in another public sector role, and only if the type of employment you take up does not come into conflict with your existing public service role. I know a guy who took a career break to start his own business. This was allowed.

The only thing about a career break is there is no guaranteed date when you will get to return after your career break ends. Your return date will depend on if they have a vacancy available, and with the likelihood of a possible embargo / freeze in the next year or so, due to Covid, I wouldn't risk it. I know people who couldn't get back in for a long time after the last embargo.

If the reason you need to reduce hours is due to illness, you really should disclose this, and something will be worked out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Holiday21

A major con of career break is that they don't have to take you back straight away once your career break ends. Think you can be waiting up to a year.

All depts are strict about not working in other departments while on career break (or any other leave).
    Parental leave is available up to till your child is 12.
    Pros- when it ends they have to accept you back straight away.
    Also you keep annual leave acquired during parental leave.

yeah and depending on your grade you may not return to the same role. I know quite a few waiting to return from career break in my workplace (all admin).

Again not sure why sick leave isnt an option - if its long tem sick leave taking up another role wouldnt be possible anyway.

Advertisement