Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Downsizing, using difference for annuity

• 10-05-2021 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Hi

Elderly relative is currently looking to downsize his house (moving from Dublin to midlands). Hoping to have between 100-150k left over following the sale.

Can anyone tell me what kind of monthly/annual annuity he could get within the range of the difference (100-150k)? He is 74 this year.

Thanks a million in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    Hi

Elderly relative is currently looking to downsize his house (moving from Dublin to midlands). Hoping to have between 100-150k left over following the sale.

Can anyone tell me what kind of monthly/annual annuity he could get within the range of the difference (100-150k)? He is 74 this year.

Thanks a million in advance.

Is this person retired? Annuities are slightly different if not purchased from a pension fund

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

McGaggs wrote: »
    Is this person retired? Annuities are slightly different if not purchased from a pension fund

Yes, recently widowed. Will be bought with a lump sum of cash from proceeds of property sale.

Only other income is non contributory state pension. Aged 74.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    Yes, recently widowed. Will be bought with a lump sum of cash from proceeds of property sale.

Only other income is non contributory state pension. Aged 74.

I'm not even sure of anyone in the Irish market sells purchased life annuities. If they do, the rate will likely be worse than for a pension annuity. Best bet would be to get in touch with a financial advisor, or maybe Irish Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

McGaggs wrote: »
    I'm not even sure of anyone in the Irish market sells purchased life annuities. If they do, the rate will likely be worse than for a pension annuity. Best bet would be to get in touch with a financial advisor, or maybe Irish Life.

Was looking to use this money as a form of income for life rather than lump sum to be honest, as it would be burnt through.

Thanks for the info in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You need to consider the expected lifespan of the individual and their current health.

You would be lucky to get 9k from an annuity on 150k cash.

If you take the 150k cash you will get 20 years of 7.5k. more of you invest it wisely. Will they live to 95?
    15k for 10 years. Will they live for 10 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

If he keeps the excess proceeds in savings, I would think it would effect his non contributory pension as it’s means tested.

Advertisement