Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warranty repair taking a very long time.

Options
  • 10-05-2021 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hello all,

Back in October I bought one of those big curved monitors from a well know chain. In early March it developed a fault, the backlight was on, but there was no image.

So I took it back to the store, they confirmed the fault - but said as it was past the 28 day refund period all they could offer me was a repair.

Nine weeks later it still hasn't been returned to me, nor have I been given any updates. When I call customer services they say they have had no updates from their repair workshop which is in the Czech republic and I just have to wait.

From a consumer point of view is there anything I can do? If it took two or three weeks I'd be bothered, but nine is getting beyond a joke. Starting to wonder if I'll ever see the monitor again.

I paid by debit card so a charge-back isn't an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

grundie wrote: »
    Hello all,

Back in October I bought one of those big curved monitors from a well know chain. In early March it developed a fault, the backlight was on, but there was no image.

So I took it back to the store, they confirmed the fault - but said as it was past the 28 day refund period all they could offer me was a repair.

Nine weeks later it still hasn't been returned to me, nor have I been given any updates. When I call customer services they say they have had no updates from their repair workshop which is in the Czech republic and I just have to wait.

From a consumer point of view is there anything I can do? If it took two or three weeks I'd be bothered, but nine is getting beyond a joke. Starting to wonder if I'll ever see the monitor again.

I paid by debit card so a charge-back isn't an option.

They have to repair it within a reasonable period of time. Not sure how that is defined but 9 weeks is by far unreasonable.
    Speak to a manager, insist nicely on a replacement.
    From there a letter to Hq outlining your storey and insisting on a replacement or refund and give them 3 days to respond.
    After that I’d engage with a charge back.
    You are entitled to that with a debit card.

If you can’t go down the charge back route I’d open a SCC case

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Considering it happened within 6 months of purchase, I’m surprised you accepted a repair.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Considering it happened within 6 months of purchase, I’m surprised you accepted a repair.

Could happen to anyone who isnt up to scratch on their rights, CS member points to the wall or where ever their policies are readable. Customer caves thinking thats all they are entitled to

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

skinny90 wrote: »
    Could happen to anyone who isnt up to scratch on their rights, CS member points to the wall or where ever their policies are readable. Customer caves thinking thats all they are entitled to

I did get the manager involved, but he wouldn't cave. He hinted that I should have taken out the extended warranty which offers instant replacement. Plus, it was 5:50pm and they were about to close.

They also used Brexit as an excuse, they used to send Lenovo monitors to the UK to be fixed, but now it has to be the Czech republic.

Wasn't in the mood for a fight so went along with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Every chancer who cannot be bothered is using brexit and covid as a handy excuse to avoid doing something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

skinny90 wrote: »
    They have to repair it within a reasonable period of time. Not sure how that is defined but 9 weeks is by far unreasonable.
    Speak to a manager, insist nicely on a replacement.
    From there a letter to Hq outlining your storey and insisting on a replacement or refund and give them 3 days to respond.
    After that I’d engage with a charge back.
    You are entitled to that with a debit card.

If you can’t go down the charge back route I’d open a SCC case

All the best

Yeah, I think an email to HQ is in order with a request for a refund. Thank you.

grundie wrote: »
    Yeah, I think an email to HQ is in order with a request for a refund. Thank you.

No worries
    Just keep track of everything. End if you will get redress on this likely in a refund /cheque

Advertisement