Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Chart thzat shows running 7 day sun totals from the station that do (and in the case of Johnstown & Belmullet.. occasionally) report these totals.

mvDLv9a.png

Data from here:

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/farming/agricultural-data-report

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Still a nice evening here in Meath with sunny spells but the wind is starting to make it feel a bit fresher.

However the weather is still looking fairly decent up to perhaps Sunday. It won't be as warm but it will be relatively dry over the next few days and there could still be some decent spells of sunshine at times.

Western areas in particular could actually see an improvement in the weather especially on Thursday into Friday and maybe Saturday with more in the way of sunshine.

Tomorrow will be cooler, temperatures generally 13 to 18C but Thursday to Saturday may still reach 20C in places if there are decent spells of sunshine.

Thursday is looking rather good for sunshine through most of the country.

arpegeuk-4-48-0.png?15-18

Friday not too bad either with hopefully decent breaks in the cloud.

arpegeuk-4-72-0.png?15-18

Saturday may start off sunny in many areas but cloud increasing as the day goes on.

arpegeuk-4-93-0.png?15-18

From Sunday is when I expect the more unsettled conditions and normal service resumes for next week.

If we make that chart above more palatable by averaging out the first 7 day % total with the 2nd 7 day average total (which brings us to the 14th), we see that the east and south are near or a little above average in terms of sunshine totals for this period in the month so far, but west coast not doing so well.

DKbSoLk.png

Sourced from same page as I posted just above.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Savage all day in D24. Crazy windy at times tho, trees swaying around like the tropics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

What's the outlook for the weekend/next week for the South West?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

What's the outlook for the weekend/next week for the South West?

Cool and unsettled everywhere from Sunday and well into next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭sporina

Twas drizzly and grey allll day here in Cork City.. was just watching the news and it was showing a protest; noticed how sunny and bright the weather was - thought it was abroad somewhere - then I heard "Dublin"? Incredible how the weather can vary vastly from one area to another - and like, Ireland is tiny really..

Has this always been the case or is it new, like the bizarre May we just had? In any event i am only noticing it now (huge contrast in weather over a relatively small area)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

sporina wrote: »
    Twas drizzly and grey allll day here in Cork City.. was just watching the news and it was showing a protest; noticed how sunny and bright the weather was - thought it was abroad somewhere - then I heard "Dublin"? Incredible how the weather can vary vastly from one area to another - and like, Ireland is tiny really..

Has this always been the case or is it new, like the bizarre May we just had? In any event i am only noticing it now (huge contrast in weather over a relatively small area)

the afternoon here in Dublin from about 3pm onwards felt as hot and sunny as it has been all year for me anyway, the satellite pictures are mad the way the cloud just seems to skirt past certain areas over the last week or so

the afternoon here in Dublin from about 3pm onwards felt as hot and sunny as it has been all year for me anyway, the satellite pictures are mad the way the cloud just seems to skirt past certain areas over the last week or so

crazy - and what was your weather like from last Fri till now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Honestly if you close your eyes it sounds like a winters night out there. Wind is howling the place. Pots and baskets all taken in. It’s bright that’s all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

crazy - and what was your weather like from last Fri till now?

Mostly cloudy today was the only time it was proper blue skies and sunbathing weather, I think there was a fine line though it you went south from Dublin though they had far more sunshine

Here at Dunshaughlin it was a mild morning with a mixture of clouds and sunny spells till about 1pm, it looked like it was going to get more cloudy and within the space of 15 minutes all the clouds melted away and it was clear blue skies till about 4pm and then a few clouds bubbled up but it remained very sunny till about 5pm. An hour of cloud and then sunny spells again from 6pm but by this stage it was becoming a bit more fresh and it remained fairly sunny till about 7.30pm.

Last summer we only had about 4 or 5 days as good as today through the entire 3 months of summer. We have already had well in excess of that already since the 1st of June and we still have all of July and August up for grabs.

The mean temperature up to yesterday at Dunsany is sitting at 14.8C which is getting very close to June 2018. However I think over the next 10 days this mean temperature is going to come down fairly swiftly, particularly during next week and could well be back into the 13s towards the end of the month unless we get some more warm weather to end the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

appledrop wrote: »
    An absolutely stunning evening here in NCD.

Don't think it's rained in about 17 days.

I'm in for some shock when does finally start raining.

Every day I pass the new construction zone between Corkagh Park and Grange Castle and it's amazing how dusty it is. Clouds of dust behind all the trucks, just like as if it were in Dubai.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Every day I pass the new construction zone between Corkagh Park and Grange Castle and it's amazing how dusty it is. Clouds of dust behind all the trucks, just like as if it were in Dubai.

Yep, I had to get car washed at weekend as windows were just covered in film of dust all the time and only after it was washed I realised how bad it was for driving!

Yep, I had to get car washed at weekend as windows were just covered in film of dust all the time and only after it was washed I realised how bad it was for driving!

where are you?

where are you?

North County Dublin and driving everyday on dusty country roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Awful day in Letterkenny, rain started in late morning and didn't let up all day. Heating on again this evening, as it has almost every day this year so far

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

When I came up from Cork to Galway on Monday I noticed it was cooler, Cork being more Mediterranean-like with clear skies and sunshine and Galway overcast and breezy, I checked online the temperature in Bandon which was 20 degrees whilst Salthill Galway came up as 13 degrees. So it is mad the difference in the weather.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

still drizzling here in Cork - thats since am :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Drizzle all day yesterday in Cork and quite thick fog in the evening - stayed like that until about 1am when it all cleared.

Overcast so far today and only 11c.

The start of June was dismal here, days without sun. Then the warm period suited us quite nicely, but now we're back to humid mist and drizzle again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Only a couple of weeks after seeing a flat rainbow for the first time, I spotted another new one for myself along the banks of the River Moy in Mayo yesterday evening.
    It had been a fairly miserable day in this part of the west and quite a wet evening but not long before sunset, I could see the clearance behind the weather front out to the northwest. It still remained wet where I was, but the sky turned a most stunning orange colour as the setting sun illuminated the cloud from the weather front. This created quite an unusual ruddy coloured rainbow to the east that also seemed to be filled in with this rusty glow.
    After the sun set, the sky in the northwest took on the most surreal and beautiful purple hues that bathed the river in quite a magical light.
    Another cool morning here today with a mixture of cloud, light showers and a bit of sunshine. Don't like MT'S mention of winds going north again next week. Poor enough summer fare in these parts so far this month.

attachment.php?attachmentid=556003&stc=1&d=1623830799

attachment.php?attachmentid=556004&stc=1&d=1623830852

attachment.php?attachmentid=556005&stc=1&d=1623830852

attachment.php?attachmentid=556006&stc=1&d=1623830852

Goldfinch unreal photos ,especially the blue/purple one.

First really dull day here in Dublin and looks like small bit of rain overnight.

Much fresher aswell.

Can't complain it has been a great June so far here in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

First really dull day here in Dublin and looks like small bit of rain overnight.

Much fresher aswell.

Yes a bit of a shock to the system this morning to wake up to such a cool and overcast day. But you are right it has been a smashing June so far here in Dublin and hopefully this is just a little pause before it gets going again..

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Yes a bit of a shock to the system this morning to wake up to such a cool and overcast day. But you are right it has been a smashing June so far here in Dublin and hopefully this is just a little pause before it gets going again..

On plus side Delly Belly I slept great as room much cooler and no sun shinning in waking me up at 5am!

Goldfinch unreal photos ,especially the blue/purple one.

Much fresher aswell.

Thanks appledrop. They were quite beautiful colours alright. The first thing that my daughter said to me when I got home was "Did you see the purple sky!"
    Glad that you are getting a decent spell of weather over near the east coast after last year's disappointing summer.
    Really would like to see an improvement in this part of the world quite soon.

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    Only a couple of weeks after seeing a flat rainbow for the first time, I spotted another new one for myself along the banks of the River Moy in Mayo yesterday evening.
    It had been a fairly miserable day in this part of the west and quite a wet evening but not long before sunset, I could see the clearance behind the weather front out to the northwest. It still remained wet where I was, but the sky turned a most stunning orange colour as the setting sun illuminated the cloud from the weather front. This created quite an unusual ruddy coloured rainbow to the east that also seemed to be filled in with this rusty glow.
    After the sun set, the sky in the northwest took on the most surreal and beautiful purple hues that bathed the river in quite a magical light.
    Another cool morning here today with a mixture of cloud, light showers and a bit of sunshine. Don't like MT'S mention of winds going north again next week. Poor enough summer fare in these parts so far this month.

attachment.php?attachmentid=556003&stc=1&d=1623830799

whats the 1st pic? looks awesome (don't often use that word but seems appropriate for this)

I was intrigued and quite amazed by it it too sporina. It started out looking like a typical rainbow. In fact it was a double rainbow but the outer bow was quite faint. It is barely perceptible in the photo below that was taken prior to the first one that I posted. As the sun was setting though, the sky and cloud out to the northwest turned a fiery orange. I read up about it when I got home and learned that predominantly orange rainbows can be a possibility in certain conditions, particularly with a rising or setting sun.
    What also surprised me was how the centre of the rainbow seemed to fill with that real ruddy glow also.
    The light quality of the pic below is not great but it was lashing rain at the time and it had been a very murky evening up to then.

attachment.php?attachmentid=556023&stc=1&d=1623837884

Despite the fact that warmer highs were recorded during the first half of June last year, the same period for this June is proving to be overall warmer, and by a considerable degree (1.2c). It is quite possible now that after the cooler blip (relative to average) during the earlier part of the year that we may now be going into a warmer one for a while, which would be in keeping with recent trends.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

GFS shows a high of 12c on Sunday and rain pretty much all day.

Monday a max of 8c with a Northerly wind and rain. Gusts to 24mph. According to wind chill calculator in the gusts that will feel like 3.4c. Longest day of the year too haha.

• Advertisement

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    GFS shows a high of 12c on Sunday and rain pretty much all day.

Monday a max of 8c with a Northerly wind and rain. Gusts to 24mph. According to wind chill calculator in the gusts that will feel like 3.4c. Longest day of the year too haha.

See this is typical muck we can get in summer in Ireland. That's why I've been so thankfully for nice weather we have had in Dublin in June.

Advertisement