Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Another cracking day in East Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Mean max temps for June so far (up to yesterday the 17th) at the reporting Met Eireann stations:

lUGUhB3.png

Interesting that the Phoenix Park's max last Sunday - initially reported as 25.7 °C - has been revised downwards to 25.6 °C in QC.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1404192281914118147

• Registered Users Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭pauldry

These are my figures for Sligo.
    Should be close to Finners

June 2021 -Sligo Town

June 1 MAX 14.3 MIN 8.6c SUN 1.0 RAIN 3.6
    June 2 MAX 15.1 MIN 8.8c SUN 0.0 RAIN 3.8
    June 3 MAX 18.1 MIN 9.8c SUN 5.5 RAIN 0.8
    June 4 MAX 19.1 MIN 9.5c SUN 1.5 RAIN 1.2
    June 5 MAX 16.4 MIN 8.5c SUN 0.4 RAIN 1.1
    June 6 MAX 19.5 MIN 8.8c SUN 6.4 RAIN 1.0
    June 7 MAX 18.8 MIN 8.5c SUN 5.8 RAIN 0.3
    June 8 MAX 19.4 MIN 11.5c SUN 0.6 RAIN 0.9
    June 9 MAX 20.1 MIN 12.9c SUN 2.1 RAIN 1.5
    June 10 MAX 20.4 MIN 13.8c SUN 3.5 RAIN 1.5
    June 11 MAX 18.4 MIN 13.5c SUN 1.3 RAIN 1.2
    June 12 MAX 17.8 MIN 13.8c SUN 0.2 RAIN 1.0
    June 13 MAX 21.6 MIN 9.8c SUN 6.2 RAIN 3.5
    June 14 MAX 15.7 MIN 7.8c SUN 2.2 RAIN 3.6
    June 15 MAX 17.4 MIN 6.5c SUN 0.2 RAIN 5.0
    June 16 MAX 16.1 MIN 6.3c SUN 4.2 RAIN 1.4
    June 17 MAX 15.6 MIN 5.1c SUN 3.7 RAIN 1.1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Thats strange, absolutely beautiful blue skies all day here in Dublin 5 so far today.
    Shows again how localised weather can be when you really are not far from Dublin
    Gonzo wrote: »
    first poor day in about 3 weeks here in Meath, fully cloudy and feeling chilly. Temperature only 13C. Winter clothing back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

At 5am Abbeyfeale 1.1C
    Monaghan 1.3C

I wonder did anywhere record an air frost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭pauldry

The West coast of Greenland had mins of 2 and 3c so we now are colder in Summer than there! Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Lovely day in south mayo
    Feeling warm !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Thats strange, absolutely beautiful blue skies all day here in Dublin 5 so far today.
    Shows again how localised weather can be when you really are not far from Dublin

yeah it's really annoying, only 10 miles north of Blanchardstown and not even 5 minutes of sun so far today, just every now and then it pokes out for a few seconds and dissapears again. First day since the end of May that I will be having lunch inside the house, a real nip in the air today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Proper drought conditions here with 0.2mm rain so far this month, cut grass is brown everywhere.
    Been like this all day. Was up the road in Nutgrove earlier and was mostly cloudy and noticeably cooler, amazing the difference a few miles further south and a little bit closer to the coast.

556258.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Farming commentary

The past 7 days have been dry in most areas except western and northwestern fringes which recorded slightly above average rainfall. 15 to 20mm was recorded in the northwest. Very little was recorded elsewhere with less than 5mm in most areas, and less than 1mm in some areas. Leinster and east Munster experienced the driest conditions.

The western half of the country has had normal mean air temperatures for the time of year this past week. Conditions were milder than normal further to the east, about a degree above average. Mean air temperatures the past week have ranged from 12.5 degrees in the west to 14.5 degrees in the east. Despite some chilly recent nights, soil temperatures are above average in most areas, generally 2 or 3 degrees above average in the east and south.

Sunshine values were slightly below average in the northern half of the country, average in the midlands and above average in the south and southeast. The sunniest conditions were along the south coast which recorded between 60 to 70 hours of sunshine the past week, which is 170% of normal. There will be duller conditions at times this coming week, especially for the latter half of the weekend and into next week. Sunshine totals will be below average in most areas over the next seven days, however there will be some extended sunny periods too, notably later Monday and Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Gradually more sun here as the afternoon goes on. It was too late to save my lunch but it's nice enough now to sit back outside for a coffee. Temperatures have also recovered from just 13C a few hours ago to 17C currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Sunshine values were slightly below average in the northern half of the country, average in the midlands and above average in the south and southeast. .

I find this to be almost insulting. 'Slightly below average". Even in the couple of brighter days we've had over the last 7 days, actual sunshine was still at a premium and probably added up to no more than 4 or 5 hours in a very broken total, if that at all. I can safely say I have witnessed more sunshine in a typically unsettled week in December than I have over the last 7 days, and I am not exaggerating here because why would I?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

It was cloudy earlier but beautiful sunny evening now here in NCD.

Yet another barbecue, but I've added salad so that's healthy right?

It appears as if we have had a total model flip this afternoon from cool and unsettled to a much more promising week of improving temperatures and high pressure taking over across all the models, ECM, UKMO and GFS. The GFS 12z really builds the heat into the final week of June and 1st week of July. I wouldn't get too excited just yet and see how this plays out over the next few days.

edit: Met Eireann have removed all mention of cool and unsettled for next week.

'Extended Outlook: Our weather becomes more settled through midweek as high pressure builds from the southwest. There may still be some cloud with rain or showers at times in the north, but mostly dry elsewhere. Temperatures recovering to normal or slightly above normal.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Absolute write off of a month around here so far, another cool, breezy, 100% overcast day today with spits of rain.

Any sunshine we've had must have been at 4-7am because I've barely seen sight of it for most of the month

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Cool enough just getting up to 14.2C but very pleasant nonetheless with good levels of sunshine on and off and more sunny then cloudy from mid afternoon with a bit more cloud filling in again. Back to 12.3C now and would need a jumper or light jacket if going outside but beats the rain any day.

Low of 4.9C early morning.

NASA Sat Pic from earlier today.

akS7qG0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

From a garden point of view, I wouldn't mind a full Tuesday or Wednesday of rain... getting very dry here in South dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Absolute write off of a month around here so far, another cool, breezy, 100% overcast day today with spits of rain.

Any sunshine we've had must have been at 4-7am because I've barely seen sight of it for most of the month

I feel for you. It really hasn't been a bad June in Dublin at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

From a garden point of view, I wouldn't mind a full Tuesday or Wednesday of rain... getting very dry here in South dublin

I think you will get your wish on Sunday, looks like rain for most of day.

appledrop wrote: »
    I think you will get your wish on Sunday, looks like rain for most of day.

Up to this morning Sunday was looking like we were going to get a proper soaking but the models have backed off this alot. Currently showing nothing more than showery outbreaks of light rain and some places may stay dry completely. Perhaps tomorrow it will look different again but latest gfs only showing light rain, particularly over Leinster which probably needs the rain the most at this stage.

81-777UK.GIF?18-12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

compsys wrote: »
    I feel for you. It really hasn't been a bad June in Dublin at all.

I'd say its been a fantastic June here.. Just coming in after another bbq tonight.. Haven't used the oven in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

latest gfs only showing light rain, particularly over Leinster which probably needs the rain the most at this stage.

I held off planting my summer bedding until this week owing to other commitments and oh my how bone dry the soil is around these parts of southern Laois is actually scary. Everything is pure dust and the grass is yellow-ing around the edges near walls. May was a wet month, but not excessively so here. June is at a tame 5.1mm

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I'd say its been a fantastic June here.. Just coming in after another bbq tonight.. Haven't used the oven in ages

Agreed, though the last two nights (tonight included) have been rather cool.

Danno wrote: »
    I held off planting my summer bedding until this week owing to other commitments and oh my how bone dry the soil is around these parts of southern Laois is actually scary. Everything is pure dust and the grass is yellow-ing around the edges near walls. May was a wet month, but not excessively so here. June is at a tame 5.1mm

The ground here is very dry too and the grass is starting to yellow/brown all around the edges here too. The nearby weather station (Dunsany) is about 10 miles to my west and it's reporting 3.9mm so far for June. Dublin Airport to my east (about 17 miles) is only on 0.8mm for June.

Today's models have shifted to a fairly dry outlook for the next week and it's entirely possible that the rest of June may only see small amounts of rain unless the models flip back again to a more unsettled outlook.

Today's models have shifted to a fairly dry outlook for the next week and it's entirely possible that the rest of June may only see small amounts of rain unless the models flip back again to a more unsettled outlook.

The big buy into the southerly drencher forecasted by the models this week (for this weekend) on the models never sat well with me, think January when the whole thing gets shifted east... same thing, just different season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I would not mind some sunshine, I have some great growth and a lot of buds but very few plants actually flowering.

Thankfully no sign yet of botrytis blight due to how cool it has been in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The ground here is very dry too and the grass is starting to yellow/brown all around the edges here too. The nearby weather station (Dunsany) is about 10 miles to my west and it's reporting 3.9mm so far for June. Dublin Airport to my east (about 17 miles) is only on 0.8mm for June.

You're in Dunshaughlin, right? Dunsany is only 5 miles away and Dublin Airport 10 miles, all as the crow flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Heating on last night after another cloudy day. This morning looks and feels the same.
    Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Just reading the last few pages, it reminds me of a nimby issue I always have with weather discussions, namely trying to decide if my location is more west or east weather wise. As I'm in the second most populous area in the state I'm not alone! Discussion here (like modern life) is very binary, it's great weather in the east and **** is the west. Here in Cork its been a nice June so far, but not as nice as described for Dublin certainly. We've had plenty time sunning ourselves in the backgarden but plenty days you couldn't also. I suspect most people would think of Cork city as being in the (south) west, but geographically (when you look properly at a map) and certainly weather wise we are very much mid South rather than west. In the present discussion, as with other discussions at other times of year (but not always) I find myself better represented by the posts from Eastern posters than by the western (especially Connaught) posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

back from kilkenny stunning weather. a joke shop of a summer back in galway

Advertisement