Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    A dull, overcast and breezy evening in Galway. This summer is turning out to be just a repeat of last summer, where the west was constantly dull and the east basked in near constant sunshine.

Latest satellite says it all.

MNbiC3W.png

No heavy rain Oneiric?
    Been a famous evening here in south Roscommon, temp jumped from 17 to 21C in a couple hours and some lovely sunshine.
    Suns gone now though, behind the impressive black wall of storm clouds that's been to our NW all evening but not seeming to get any closer.
    Somewhere is getting a right lashing from it I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Stunning evening in Dublin 5, perfect blue skies. Really lovely weekend of weather

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Neddyusa wrote: »
    No heavy rain Oneiric?
    Been a famous evening here in south Roscommon, temp jumped from 17 to 21C in a couple hours and some lovely sunshine.
    Suns gone now though, behind the impressive black wall of storm clouds that's been to our NW all evening but not seeming to get any closer.
    Somewhere is getting a right lashing from it I'd say!

Nothing here bar a few pointless spits anyway NeddyUSA, just the usual gun metal. Breezy as hell though.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Cool, dark and windy with zero sunshine in Letterkenny. Joke of a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Enjoying the sunshine in Sutton, a nice sky of cirrus too. Could be some more noctilucent clouds tonight in any clear spells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Spilling here last couple of hours in north Galway

Gorgeous evening in Arklow
    This is turning out to be a grand summer so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Rainfall stats for June so far. Really bone dry here in the east, but the complete opposite in the southwest and west. Amazing how consistent this divide has been this month.

556447.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

As bad as it looks Newport has only got a third of the rain it got last June, probably the only silver lining we have had so far this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I recorded over 100mm last June,only 11mm recorded so far this June

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

I must say surprisingly that was one of the best days of the year so far in Kildare.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

will be interesting to see the met eireann data for the end of this summer.

It can only be better than last summer. This was how wet it was at Dunsany last summer:

June 2020: 76.9mm
    July 2020: 130.9mm (second wettest month of 2020 only beaten by February)
    August 2020: 99.2mm

Temperature anomaly Summer 2020

June 2020: +0.6C
    July 2020: -0.9C
    August 2020: +0.2C

Summer 2021 so far:
    June 2021: 3.9mm (up to the 19th)

Temperature anomaly: +1.2C (was over +2C a week ago). The mean has come down alot over the past 5 days due to chilly nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Rainfall stats for June so far. Really bone dry here in the east, but the complete opposite in the southwest and west. Amazing how consistent this divide has been this month.

That is just incredible, I'm only a few km from the airport, so this is the driest place in Ireland. The difference between East and West is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Gorgeous evening in Arklow
    This is turning out to be a grand summer so far!

Yes one that will be remembered.. Hopefully it keeps going like this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭sporina

no rain here in Cork City all weekend - woo hoo (forecast all week said that today was gonna be a washout)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

556447.jpg

the difference between Mount Dillon and Claremorris is noteworthy from a Connacht perspective if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

The weather in this part of Mayo over the weekend exceeded my somewhat limited expectations of it and certainly turned out a little better than what I had seen forecasted. Even though there was plenty of high cloud at times, there were a few nice hazy breaks of limited sunshine with a bit of warmth to it at times also. Even though it got a bit blustery late this afternoon and clouded up again, I found it a pleasant enough weekend overall.
    I love these long evenings in June but I always feel a slight bit of regret when the longest day has passed. There is something that I love about the light of a long summers evening whenever of course we are lucky to get it.
    There was a nice bit of colour in the evening sky here today but my favourite sky of the summer so far was in the wilds of North Mayo last Friday evening. It was a pleasure to witness it and because it has been such a grey month so far in these parts, I savoured it even more.

River Moy this eve.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=556460&stc=1&d=1624230104

A glorious June evening on Carrowmore Lake in North Mayo last Friday
    attachment.php?attachmentid=556461&stc=1&d=1624230124

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I haven't been able to enjoy the long evenings that much as its always dull. The darkest it gets up here at this time of the year is Nautical twilight, if its clear it never really gets dark, the sky to North is constantly light. Beyond bored of constant cloudiness now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Ireland did rather well today despite being in a cooler than average airflow. We were 3 to 4C higher than much of southern and central England. We even gave much of Portugal and north western half of Spain a run for it's money with some rather disgraceful temperatures in parts of Iberia.

txint_uk.png

txint_sp.png

The GFS pub run is another very warm outlook with some mid to high level warmth last week of June and first week of July. Still not feeling confident of this potential warm to hot spell as the dartboard low later in the week could change the short to medium outlook entirely if luck does not go our way.

sporina wrote: »
    no rain here in Cork City all weekend - woo hoo (forecast all week said that today was gonna be a washout)

It rained overnight on Saturday into Sunday morning. Was out and about very early and there were plenty of puddles that dried out before most people were out of bed.

There was also another heavy shower at around 6pm on Sunday evening for around 10 minutes where I am.

But it was a great bonus that it rained so little after the forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Grass growth has been very poor due to moisture deficit
    We're waiting to cut silage the last two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Grass growth has been very poor due to moisture deficit
    We're waiting to cut silage the last two weeks

In Cork we've had a lot of the Easts sun & heat and the Wests rain so my garden and shrubs are growing out of control!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Cool almost cold overcast morning here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

The next 10 days in Sligo sees only about 10mm of rain forecast.

Despite the coldness it has not been a wet Summer here so far.

Grass growth is OK as there has been 1 to 3mm of rain most days.

However in the East the yellow grass must be appearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It’s quite breezy but lots of blue sky in Dublin 13 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A nice bright start to the day in Castlebar, its quite windy and cool but at least the sun has finally made an appearance and there is quite a bit of blue sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I am officially in shock.

9OfpPDj.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Blue sky. Breezy and sunny Meath.

Trying to choose a day off tomorrow or Wednesday for best weather in Wicklow. Id prefer Wednesday but looking less pleasant of the two but maybe the mention of rain isnt worth mentioning :)

Is the temperature for the year colder than average in Ireland? I assume Spring definitely was cool.

• Advertisement

fvp4 wrote: »
    Is the temperature for the year colder than average in Ireland? I assume Spring definitely was cool.

In the UK it was the coldest April and May combined for nearly 80 years. Ireland would be similar in that we definitely had a cooler than average Spring despite March being a very mild month. My local station of Dunsany had close to a -1.5C temperature anomaly in both April and May while March was +1.2C above average. Add the 3 together and Spring was still colder than average.

Advertisement