Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A nice display of noctilucent clouds to the north tonight. First time I have gotten to see them this year.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

leahyl wrote: »
    Lol, currently it's 13 degrees in Cork....pretty much like December :pac:

Was 18 in the Midlands

Midnight twilight.

xPLxyz5.png

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The almost full moon at the other end of the sky tonight.

10.8C and calm

zPb4loD.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 48,213 ✭✭✭✭km79

A wonderful bonfire night in South Mayo

• Advertisement

The almost full moon at the other end of the sky tonight.

Great shot Meeorite58.

That obviously wasn't taken with a rubbish little phone camara! As KM says, it is a stellar summer's night.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Midnight twilight.

xPLxyz5.png

Any idea what the red thing is the top left?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Great shot Meeorite58.

That obviously wasn't taken with a rubbish little phone camara! As KM says, it is a stellar summer's night.

:) had the telephoto lens on . Good pic of the noctilucent clouds , if that was on a camera phone well done to you.

Badly needed bit of fine weather after it cleared up in the afternoon, would certainly lift the spirits. Hopefully more to come from the weekend. Could do with a bit of summer living next week, haven't even had a swim yet. Hope to get in by Sunday and next week should be good and warm to keep it up.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Any idea what the red thing is the top left?

There is a star (don't ask me the name of it) twinkling in all different colours in that direction (actually located directly north at this point in time) so that must be it. I can see green, orange, yellow in the twinkles, phone must have captured it. Plus there is a fair amount of smoke in the sky so that is probably helping to filter colours out of the star.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

I am almost certain that the star is Capella. I see it glintng red and other different colours to the north here.
    What a fantastic capture of those noctilucent clouds Oneiric. I have just had plenty of goes at them with the camera phone but as Meteorite alluded to, not at all easy and certainly the pictures did no justice to that wonderful display tonight. Great to have a night like this.
    The smell of smoke still lingers on the night air here tonight after a golden evening for a bonfire night.

• Advertisement

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    I am almost certain that the star is Capella. I see it glintng red and other different colours to the north here.
    What a fantastic capture of those noctilucent clouds Oneiric. I have just had plenty of goes at them with the camera phone but as Meteorite alluded to, not at all easy and certainly the pictures did no justice to that wonderful display tonight. Great to have a night like this.
    The smell of smoke still lingers on the night air here tonight after a golden evening for a bonfire night.

Thanks for that Goldfinch. Yep, just watching the star here out back window here and it is a wonderful sight in itself. Like a singular Christmas tree light twinkling away in all different colours. Such a nice night that it is hard to settle down. Might go for a walk and take in the rare wonder and the peace and quite now that I'll have the streets to myself (I hope anyway)

New Moon

This type of night has been such a rarity really in the last number of weeks. For me personally, that midnight twilight is such a lovely part of this time of the year if you can see it. Unfortunately, cloud has plagued us day and night for a lot of the last few weeks here in this part of the country as well as some other parts. May as well soak it up while we have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Was lovely to be able to sit out with a glass of vino and watch our little bonfire

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Goldfinch8 wrote: »

Yes, it is Capella alright. It's visible for a couple of hours around midnight, moving from NNW to NNE. at around 15-20 ° above the horizon. It's actually four different stars of different colours. From Wikipedia:
    Capella /kəˈpɛlə/, designated α Aurigae (Latinized to Alpha Aurigae, abbreviated Alpha Aur, α Aur), is the brightest star in the constellation of Auriga, the sixth-brightest star in the night sky, and the third-brightest in the northern celestial hemisphere after Arcturus and Vega. A prominent object in the northern winter sky, it is circumpolar to observers north of 44°N. Its name meaning "little goat" in Latin, Capella depicted the goat Amalthea that suckled Zeus in classical mythology. Capella is relatively close, at 42.9 light-years (13.2 pc) from the Sun. It is one of the brightest X-ray sources in the sky, thought to come primarily from the corona of Capella Aa.

Although it appears to be a single star to the naked eye, Capella is actually a quadruple star system organized in two binary pairs, made up of the stars Capella Aa, Capella Ab, Capella H, and Capella L. The primary pair, Capella Aa and Capella Ab, are two bright yellow giant stars, both of which are around 2.5 times as massive as the Sun. The secondary pair, Capella H and Capella L, are around 10,000 astronomical units (AU)[note 2] from the first and are two faint, small and relatively cool red dwarfs. Capella Aa and Capella Ab have exhausted their core hydrogen, and cooled and expanded, moving off the main sequence. They are in a very tight circular orbit about 0.74 AU apart, and orbit each other every 104 days. Capella Aa is the cooler and more luminous of the two with spectral class K0III; it is 78.7 ± 4.2 times the Sun's luminosity and 11.98 ± 0.57 times its radius. An aging red clump star, it is fusing helium to carbon and oxygen in its core. Capella Ab is slightly smaller and hotter and of spectral class G1III; it is 72.7 ± 3.6 times as luminous as the Sun and 8.83 ± 0.33 times its radius. It is in the Hertzsprung gap, corresponding to a brief subgiant evolutionary phase as it expands and cools to become a red giant. Several other stars in the same visual field have been catalogued as companions but are physically unrelated.

Thanks for that Gaoth Laidir. Was interested to learn that Capella is actually a quadruple star system.
    Those nice clear skies of yesterday eve and last night did not last too long unfortunately. Back to the grey and drizzly murk here in Mayo again today.
    Below a very hazy pic from the camera phone of Capella and some noctilucent clouds above the northern horizon just before 1am this morning.

attachment.php?attachmentid=556715&stc=1&d=1624531407

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Lots of heavy rain all morning in Letterkenny, wouldn't be surprised if we end up wetter than normal for this month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Lovely morning in Dublin, feels quite warm

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Dublin and the east has been like a med destination for us stuck in the west and south -pish everyday

Glorious here in rural Arklow
    Currently 20c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭sporina

lovely day in Cork City thank god.. some hazy sunshine and no wind... v v warm - humid.. better than yday though. gosh it was depressing till eve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Low cloud and drizzle in Galway all morning temp 15 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Big contrast today across the country. Cool and heavy rain in the Northern third.

Lough Mourne Donegal - 12.5c
    Loughlinstown, Co Dublin - 22.1c
    Tullyland, Bandon - 22.4c

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A miserable wet, windy and dark day so far in Castlebar, currently 13C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Like a winter's day here, complete washout, heating on again

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Like a winter's day here, complete washout, heating on again

Be nice to get some of that rain here in the south east before the very warm and dry spell comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭pauldry

its been freezing all June in Sligo but rainfall has been below normal despite there being some every day its just small amounts.

Last year was wetter but warmer at times though it ended with a similar average.

Next week - how long before downgrade materializes.

Yesterday forecast said 24c Sligo next week no rain.
    Today 21c Sligo plus some rain too.

Hope its not like yesterday where it was 21c in Mayo but only 16c in Sligo

Currently 21c in sunny spells in Arklow
    Feeling muggy

Drab overcast here all day again with low cloud and the odd spit. Like Pauldry says, a total greyout this month yet not much in the way of rain. Just spits and spots that aren't much good for anything. Still have to water the outside plants every 2nd day.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Drizzle this morning turned to rain at midday. Pouring down at the moment.
    Leitrim

• Advertisement

22c now in Arklow

Advertisement