Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Zero sunshine up here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another absolutely stunning day in Dublin.

In summer camp all week trying to make sure all the kids have suncream on all day!

It has been an absolutely glorious June here in North County Dublin. Definitely up there with one of best. So many days with 20+ degrees and so little rainfall.

compsys wrote: »
    Is the sunshine recorder at Dublin Airport broken?

Have noticed on many days recently that the station has come up as cloudy on the hourly reports when it's been sunny in my parts.

And today there isn't a cloud to be seen in the East on the satellite but it's still reporting cloudy conditions.

You could be right, reading for last few days seem very low when we have had plenty of sunshine.

It's been wall to wall sunshine all day here in NCD so if that's not showing up today something is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

appledrop wrote: »

In summer camp all week trying to make sure all the kids have suncream on all day!

It has been an absolutely glorious June here in North County Dublin. Definitely up there with one of best. So many days with 20+ degrees and so little rainfall.
    Same in the south of the county been one of tge best June's I can remember

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I agree, best June in several years for Dublin, would certainly take this for the rest of the summer :-)
    appledrop wrote: »

• Advertisement

Where are you based? West coast?
    sporina wrote: »
    not its not! May was crap as was most of June.. yeah - we are getting some good days now... but I see lots of rain for the weekend..

not looking for "wall to wall sunshine and high temp's".. but this summer has been v erratic and its not our norm.. my Dad is an 83 yr old farmer he had never witnessed a May as cold as this year's

Finger's crossed for the rest of the summer months..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭highdef

Stunning evening following a stunning day in North Kildare. Sipping cocktails in the garden and the sun has not been behind a cloud all since late morning!

highdef wrote: »
    Stunning evening following a stunning day in North Kildare. Sipping cocktails in the garden and the sun has not been behind a cloud all since late morning!

Ditto here except since sunrise!
    We had a very fresh sea breeze though A marine layer cooling tbings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭highdef

Ditto here except since sunrise!
    We had a very fresh sea breeze though A marine layer cooling tbings

Very light breeze all day here however I'm sitting in front of a Southwest facing stone building, resulting in a combination of radiated heat from the stone combined with no wind at all meaning that it's like being away in the Med. Just glorious!

Still 20 degrees or higher at 8pm in a number of locations

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

unbroken sunshine till about 6pm this evening and since then there is alot more cloud around. Still pleasant at 20C after getting close to 24C around 5pm.

I'm expecting tomorrow to be similar to yesterday, more in the way of cloud than today but hopefully some decent sunny spells too.

highdef wrote: »
    Very light breeze all day here however I'm sitting in front of a Southwest facing stone building, resulting in a combination of radiated heat from the stone combined with no wind at all meaning that it's like being away in the Med. Just glorious!

The inland heat always brings on a strong sea breeze here unless other factors at play
    A Davis station at Tinahey just behind croghan mtn here out of tgat breeze, maybe 10kms inland hit 24c
    Here once the sea breeze really got going late morning, we were pegged to between 17 and 18c
    I've attached the wind chart for today at my station
    It dies off rapid in the evening, gusting to 30kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Heating on again in Letterkenny. Some light drizzle has started up again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭pauldry

I agree, best June in several years for Dublin, would certainly take this for the rest of the summer :-)

Has to be up there with one if the dullest coldest June's I can remember. Will have the full facts tomorrow

Dullest coldest June where?
    pauldry wrote: »
    Has to be up there with one if the dullest coldest June's I can remember. Will have the full facts tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Sky looks very dirty here, wouldn't be surprised if there was some of that Icelandic volcanic pollution trapped in the atmosphere again.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Thanks Gonzo so Cork/Kerry would be decent chance?

Has been stunning last few days

Danno wrote: »
    Glengarriff (Cork) ACS is almost 25c.

This is 1.3c above nearest stations.

Micro climate in that part of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭sporina

Where are you based? West coast?

Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭sporina

OMG thats tough.. twas roasting here in Cork City today

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today's max temperatures, fairly big contrast between the dull and drizzly north-west to the sunny south and east. Thursday to early Saturday should be a big improvement for Donegal as the warmth and sunshine will move northwards.

txint_uk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

pauldry wrote: »

Depends on where you live. It's been sunnier, drier and warmer than average in Eastern parts. You can't really ask for much more if you live here.

Several stations in the West and North West however will finish around 0.5º below average.

On the cool side but nothing exceptional.

I really don't know how you put up with the weather in Donegal.

It would break my heart, wouldn't be able for it.

sporina wrote: »
    not its not! May was crap as was most of June.. yeah - we are getting some good days now... but I see lots of rain for the weekend..

not looking for "wall to wall sunshine and high temp's".. but this summer has been v erratic and its not our norm.. my Dad is an 83 yr old farmer he had never witnessed a May as cold as this year's

Finger's crossed for the rest of the summer months..

Yup, in Cork had 172mm of rain in May and a mean temperature of 9.5c which is a good bit more than double typical rainfall and two degrees down on typical temperatures. I just have to look at my garden to know how bad May was.

As for June, the stats would suggest your take is wide of the mark. So far less than half typical rainfall and slightly above typical temperature values, so I would say June has been very good even if we didn't get any real heat until later in the month.

Hopefully, we are on track for a nice summer. Just sitting out and feeling warm over the last few days has been lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,541 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yesterday in North Donegal was kinda of weatherless.
    No wind, dull, nearly complete cloud cover. But dry.
    Today has started off exactly the same.

Reading about scorching temperatures at end of the week in the Irish press.
    Lets hope the sun breaks through here.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yesterday in North Donegal was kinda of weatherless.
    No wind, dull, nearly complete cloud cover. But dry.
    Today has started off exactly the same.

Reading about scorching temperatures at end of the week in the Irish press.
    Lets hope the sun breaks through here.

The giant bank of sea fog is not helping ye up there

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Some heat in that sun. Blues skies again in cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Another cloudy balmy day on the horizon in East Mayo:(

jackrussel wrote: »
    Some heat in that sun. Blues skies again in cork city.

Cloudy in kerry. Pity, we were going for 4 days in a row on the beach
    Maybe later on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Cloud, again.
    Leitrim.

Advertisement