Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭pauldry

Should lift today as theres more of an Easterly influence than yesterday plus more mobility in atmosphere.

Tomorrow will be a nice day in the West and Friday. Will be 2 days in the 20s at least.

Yesterday we got to 15.5c in Sligo and had all of 1.5hours of sun most of it behind hazy cloud

Dullest coldest June where?

http://sligosummer.blogspot.com

Heres my log Ive kept of Summer in Sligo so far.

Actually very dry June, seemed dull but a few hours sun at least.

Cool it was but not exceptional cause it was dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

compsys wrote: »
    Is the sunshine recorder at Dublin Airport broken?

Have noticed on many days recently that the station has come up as cloudy on the hourly reports when it's been sunny in my parts.

And today there isn't a cloud to be seen in the East on the satellite but it's still reporting cloudy conditions.

Didn't have the time to respond to this until now. I have noticed this myself sometimes happening time and time again since 2019 starting with the late March 2019 fine spell but it especially seems apparent this June.

It hasn't been the sunniest June in the world by any means (not close to 2018 which was the sunniest on record) but Dublin Airport has just reached near average sunshine (for a 81-10 June) to 29th with bang on 172 hrs of sunshine. Doesn't look like that's going to rise much with the cloud so far and expected today but it's trying to shine through here. Casement seen 171 hrs to 29th which is above average.

I've much preferred the second half over the first half, in spite of the 3 consecutive rubbish days, when I last gave my opinions on this June. I still retain the opinion that this June whilst very dry hasn't been anything phenomenal and prefer a good few past Junes because they provided more memorable good periods and they've been sunnier but it's been a good month for Dublin, no doubt about it. Miles above the past 2 dire Junes in 2019 and 2020.

Must be noted that despite the cloudy observations being shown, the airport still managed 14.9 hrs of sunshine yesterday which is vast majority of the day and by far the sunniest day of this June as well as sunniest since 30 May.

EDIT: Indeed the cloudy has broken a lot now, good sunny spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It has been the third poor June in a row in Castlebar, the average temperature has been 13.1C and we have had 67.4mm of rain but at least it was better than the 168.6mm we had last June.

Since the 30th of May we have not had one day you would describe as a stunner and it was the last day to top 20C. We had two very nice days but at least you could get out and about for the most part and while the majority of days followed the same dull, humid and overcast pattern the rain that did fall fell early in the month with only really one wet day after that on the 23rd.

Hopefully July in an improvement as August has produced over 100mm of rain every year since 2008 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Blue skies and the sun breaking through in Dublin 5. Shaping up to be another lovely afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

After a cloudy cool start the sun is now shining again in Dublin. Glorious again..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Didn't have the time to respond to this until now. I have noticed this myself sometimes happening time and time again since 2019 starting with the late March 2019 fine spell but it especially seems apparent this June.

It hasn't been the sunniest June in the world by any means (not close to 2018 which was the sunniest on record) but Dublin Airport has just reached near average sunshine (for a 81-10 June) to 29th with bang on 172 hrs of sunshine. Doesn't look like that's going to rise much with the cloud so far and expected today but it's trying to shine through here. Casement seen 171 hrs to 29th which is above average.

I've much preferred the second half over the first half, in spite of the 3 consecutive rubbish days, when I last gave my opinions on this June. I still retain the opinion that this June whilst very dry hasn't been anything phenomenal and prefer a good few past Junes because they provided more memorable good periods and they've been sunnier but it's been a good month for Dublin, no doubt about it. Miles above the past 2 dire Junes in 2019 and 2020.

Must be noted that despite the cloudy observations being shown, the airport still managed 14.9 hrs of sunshine yesterday which is vast majority of the day and by far the sunniest day of this June as well as sunniest since 30 May.

So if you look at yesterday's readings it wasn't even showing as sunny for 14.9 hours.

So while I think the official readings are accurate, the hourly weather observations seem broken.

Beautiful sunshine since 11am where I am in South County Dublin (SCD).

Looks from the satellite that most of the cloud is slowly burning off - it'll be a better afternoon for many.

I think it shows again though how much weather can differ within Dublin. In Dublin 5 it’s been an excellent June, lots of sunshine and plenty of days in the 20s. On the same day you could get more cloud cover in another part of Dublin that would impact on the overall day. You only have to look during warmer spells like June 2018 where it was 27-28 degrees in Phoenix park and Dublin airport could be 23-24. It’s a big different over a small enough area.

This winter was similar, we got that really random blast of snow for a few days in D5 and hardly 5-10km away there wasn’t a snowflake. Dublin can be very random.

I think we have maybe had more luck than most in D5, even now sun splitting the sky near the coast
    sryanbruen wrote: »

I think it shows again though how much weather can differ within Dublin. In Dublin 5 it’s been an excellent June, lots of sunshine and plenty of days in the 20s. On the same day you could get more cloud cover in another part of Dublin that would impact on the overall day. You only have to look during warmer spells like June 2018 where it was 27-28 degrees in Phoenix park and Dublin airport could be 23-24. It’s a big different over a small enough area.

This winter was similar, we got that really random blast of snow for a few days in D5 and hardly 5-10km away there wasn’t a snowflake. Dublin can be very random.

I think we have maybe had more luck than most in D5, even now sun splitting the sky near the coast

I don't think the Dublin climate varies quite as much as you imply - given the odd extreme example of course.

I think the issue is that some people have selective memories while others value different things.

For example it could be a dry and sunny month, and warm, but if there weren't really high temps some would say it was a poor or boring month.

Personally I couldn't care if the weather is boring - I just want it to be good.

Meanwhile if it was a really warm and dry - but cloudy - month, many would also argue that it was a poor month as many value sunshine over anything else in summer (myself included usually).

In winter some posters only want snow - others clear days and frosty nights - some the exact opposite.

Some posters tend to be a bit negative by their nature - others overly positive - so you get all these varying reports.

However I think the best place to start is with facts and statistics - it's a weather form after all. How much rain and sun was there and what was the average monthly temp. All easily accessible on the MET E weather summaries.

I also think we forget just how average/poor the Irish summer is supposed to be. Many of us have wildly unrealistic expectations each summer. Like last June so many of us were saying it was cold/miserable/worst June etc. And there were some awful days for sure! But temps in the East actually ended up above average. Which to me also seemed crazy - but that's how bad the weather in Ireland often is.

Sun shining at last

Temperature has responded too. A few warm days in the offing now up to and "maybe" including Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Likely now that June will finish drier, and in many places, much drier than average. Wettest station, compared to average, will be Finner Camp at about 82%, with the driest being Dunsany at just 18% of the total monthly average for the station. Of all the stations in the west, Shannon Apt is the driest at just 25%.

New Moon

I disagree, there can be a pretty decent difference in temperature between different parts of Dublin, almost every time we have a much warmer spell of weather, phoenix park and casement can be 3-4 degrees warmer than Dublin airport. You can also see how much it can differ in terms of sun and cloud levels, just take a stroll down the coast road in North Dublin and you can see way more cloud cover in another part of Dublin at the same time. I know we are no talking big fluctuations in climate but 3-4 degree temperature differences are not small. Also when it comes to winter, you can have vastly different snow amounts across different parts of Dublin in colder weather. There have been countless times where i have left North Dublin with no snow on the ground and gone to visit friends or family on the south side and they have a few centimetres of lying snow.

For a county as small as Dublin is, I think the contrast can be quite unusual
    compsys wrote: »
    I don't think the Dublin climate varies quite as much as you imply - given the odd extreme example of course.

I think the issue is that some people have selective memories while others value different things.

For example it could be a dry and sunny month, and warm, but if there weren't really high temps some would say it was a poor or boring month.

Personally I couldn't care if the weather is boring - I just want it to be good.

Meanwhile if it was a really warm and dry - but cloudy - month, many would also argue that it was a poor month as many value sunshine over anything else in summer (myself included usually).

In winter some posters only want snow - others clear days and frosty nights - some the exact opposite.

Some posters tend to be a bit negative by their nature - others overly positive - so you get all these varying reports.

However I think the best place to start is with facts and statistics - it's a weather form after all. How much rain and sun was there and what was the average monthly temp. All easily accessible on the MET E weather summaries.

I also think we forget just how average/poor the Irish summer is supposed to be. Many of us have wildly unrealistic expectations each summer. Like last June so many of us were saying it was cold/miserable/worst June etc. And there were some awful days for sure! But temps in the East actually ended up above average. Which to me also seemed crazy - but that's how bad the weather in Ireland often is.

I disagree, there can be a pretty decent difference in temperature between different parts of Dublin, almost every time we have a much warmer spell of weather, phoenix park and casement can be 3-4 degrees warmer than Dublin airport. You can also see how much it can differ in terms of sun and cloud levels, just take a stroll down the coast road in North Dublin and you can see way more cloud cover in another part of Dublin at the same time. I know we are no talking big fluctuations in climate but 3-4 degree temperature differences are not small. Also when it comes to winter, you can have vastly different snow amounts across different parts of Dublin in colder weather. There have been countless times where i have left North Dublin with no snow on the ground and gone to visit friends or family on the south side and they have a few centimetres of lying snow.

I don't think what you're describing is particularly unusual though.

DA is a rural station relatively close to the sea. PP is a more urban station, with a built up urban area to its East. It's natural that it would be warmer. But most days it's only 1 or 2º warmer at most - not insignificant but very normal.

As with snow, showers anywhere within the UK and Ireland are always pretty hit and miss.

You can highlight very specific instances but over the course of a few months or so there's not a huge difference in temps, rainfall and sun between the three main Dublin stations.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another beautiful day in Meath, blue skies and feeling warm but not as warm as yesterday. Going to make the most of the weather between now and Friday as next week is looking like a write off. Hopefully we are not in store for a repeat of July 2020. I am hoping that by this time next week we will see signs of things settling down and warming up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭sporina

jackrussel wrote: »
    Some heat in that sun. Blues skies again in cork city.

was out for a walk at lunch time and had to shower when I got home - no lie.. soo hot n humid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Sun is out now. North Coast still under it.

2pm
    Ballypatrick forest 12c
    Malin head 13c
    Kerry farannfore 22c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

appledrop wrote: »
    I really don't know how you put up with the weather in Donegal.

It would break my heart, wouldn't be able for it.

I'm in the process of planning a move away partly because of the climate! After living in much sunnier climates for much of the 2010's it's hard to re-adjust back to the lack of summers.

Another cool, overcast day today though the cloud seems a lot thinner so more white than dark grey

The airport is much more prone to a sea breeze than the other two, I wouldn't say it's much more complex than that.

The same issue makes a lot of the west coast stations not at all representative of their wider areas, Malin, Finner, Mace Head, Valentia etc are all on the immediate coast so are always cooler in summer and milder during the winter than 95% of their counties land area actually are

• Registered Users Posts: 33,541 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sun starting to break through up here in the far North.
    Hopefully a sign of things to come in the next few days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

temperatures across the country are generally lower than what I expected today with the exception of the south-west. Here in Meath we are currently 6C cooler than this time yesterday with a temperature of only 17C, however all the sunshine makes up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Lovely and bright and nearly 19C in Castlebar now after a dull cool start, this trend has happened with more regularity towards the end of the month.

Cloud suddenly disappeared in Letterkenny as well, gone from slate grey skies to near cloudless in the space of 20 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Cloud suddenly disappeared in Letterkenny as well, gone from slate grey skies to near cloudless in the space of 20 minutes!

Same here but still a lot of cloud around. Nice to see regardless. That slight volcanic haze seems to be still up there in the sky.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

Sitting outside a mobile home on the Dingle peninsula and it’s glorious! Little or no breeze and feels much warmer than 17 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Sitting outside a mobile home on the Dingle peninsula and it’s glorious! Little or no breeze and feels much warmer than 17 degrees.

Hope if holds out, I'll be on Mount Brandon tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another stunning evening in NCD.

June 2021 you have been amazing for us here in Dublin.

Great to have seen so many people/families who have been able to enjoy outdoor dining and days out with their family thanks to nice weather.

It definitely goes down as one of best June ever for me as I think it really lifted everyone's spirits in Dublin and we all need that with Covid.

Barbecue number a million getting prepared here now!

Dull and dreary all day in Arklow
    Temperature hard set to reach 15
    Flat calm I suppose, so doesn't feel cold and I suppose we did have a good run at it up to today

appledrop wrote: »
    Another stunning evening in NCD.

June 2021 you have been amazing for us here in Dublin.

Great to have seen so many people/families who have been able to enjoy outdoor dining and days out with their family thanks to nice weather.

It definitely goes down as one of best June ever for me as I think it really lifted everyone's spirits in Dublin and we all need that with Covid.

Barbecue number a million getting prepared here now!

For me this June is a very close run to June 2018. June 2018 was largely sunny but it was on the cool side at times as we had a nagging easterly breeze throughout the month which dragged temperatures down for much of the month compared to elsewhere in Ireland, however the final week of June 2018 was properly warm and we had a few days in the mid to high twenties by the end of it.

Overall this June has probably felt a bit warmer compared to 2018 during the daytime, however the nights have been overall cooler compared to 2018 and we did have that 3 day blip a week ago. We are also missing proper warmth this time around with temperatures generally in the 18 to 22C range so not too far from average, a few days cooler, a few days warmer. No mid to high twenties on a widespread basis. Overall I really enjoyed this June and we can happily claim we've had summer this year unlike last year. I'm going to give this June a 7 out of 10. If we had a few properly warm days I probably would have given this month an 8 or a 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

It's a 9 out of 10 for me.

I managed to wear every single summer dress I own at least once in June so that's a miracle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭4Ad

Melting in East Clare since 11 this morning, must still be 20 degrees here and I'm going running..agh !!

Advertisement