Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Overcast here all day in Co. Galway but feels very warm. Was expecting the cloud to break between 1.30pm to 2.30pm as it has done every day this week but not today.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Overcast here all day in Co. Galway but feels very warm. Was expecting the cloud to break between 1.30pm to 2.30pm as it has done every day this week but not today.

Ditto in West Clare. Expected cloud to break and it never did!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

The heat in that sun today in Midlands was absolutely unbelievable.

I actually thought i was going to collaspe!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

1 more day of warmth tomorrow in midland and central/northern Leinster. turning cooler from the south and the west towards tomorrow evening with the warmth shifting to the north by evening time.

fmiuk-41-25-0.png?01-20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Soil Moisture only 15% in Cobh! That bit of rain is looked forward to but I wish it would have waited until after the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Ditto in West Clare. Expected cloud to break and it never did!

Eventually did....at 7pm, roll on 8pm and it's cloudy again. Ah well yesterday was just fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Rainfall amounts over the past seven days were below normal over the bulk of the country. It was driest over Munster and south Leinster with only 2.1mm of rain recorded at Valentia (9% of normal). Northern parts of Ulster were slightly wetter than normal, though, with Malin Head totalling 18.7mm (108% of normal), apart from Northwest Connacht, much of Ulster and locally in east Leinster, values were below 50% of normal across the rest of the country. Over the coming 7 days, more unsettled weather is expected with heavy or thundery downpours or longer spells of rain. As a result, rainfall totals will vary a lot with some places potentially averaging out 2 to 3 times wetter than normal, while local averages will vary most places will see at least near or above normal values for the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Eventually did....at 7pm, roll on 8pm and it's cloudy again. Ah well yesterday was just fantastic.

Stayed overcast all evening here, but a nice evening regardless.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

compsys wrote: »
    Is the sunshine recorder at Dublin Airport broken?

Have noticed on many days recently that the station has come up as cloudy on the hourly reports when it's been sunny in my parts.

And today there isn't a cloud to be seen in the East on the satellite but it's still reporting cloudy conditions.

The hourly reports at Dublin Airport are manned so can't be due to instrument error. What is put up as "Cloudy" on a report does not necessarily mean overcast. Up to three layers of clouds are detailed in each report. On e.g. the 28th, there was 7 okta of cirrus reported with only 1-3 okta of lower cloud. The total "cloud" cover was still 7 okta, even though the majority was insignificant cirrus. The Met.ie weather descriptors are automated from the synop coded reports, so that may be what the problem is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Very cloudy this morning. Leitrim.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

OldRio wrote: »
    Very cloudy this morning. Leitrim.

In Dromod atm (in Leitrim....on the Shannon) and the sun is shining.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭sporina

jackrussel wrote: »
    Yeah, burned off the earlier cloud fairly quickly. Another beaut of a day.

yeah I was out on some coastal cliffs yday - twas heavenly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

DOCARCH wrote: »
    In Dromod atm (in Leitrim....on the Shannon) and the sun is shining.

Dromod is about 20 miles away and there is no sign of the sun here. My location is near to Keshcarrigan.
    A few nice hostelries in Dromod with good food. Enjoy.

Cloudy in Cork all morning, 17C so far today. Rain is juuust touching the Cork/Kerry coastline. Goodbye to summer for the foreseeable.

Hopefully this will water the grass nicely and will put off the bamboo that is shooting all over the garden, or at least make it soggier so I can dig it up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cloudy here in Meath. Will miss the warmth and sunshine but at least today is going to be dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

I do believe I felt some rain here in Kildare

the garden doesn't need a cut for another 2 or 3 days, been poor grass growth with such dry weather, however I think i'll give it a cut today anyway as everyday looks wet from tomorrow and the grass will grow like crazy over the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

A sweltering 14C with stunning wall to wall grey skies. Great to finally get our share of the good weather we've been forecast in the NW all week

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Pattern repeats here every day recently, cloudy morning, come around 13:00, this:

557375.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    Pattern repeats here every day recently, cloudy morning, come around 13:00, this:

557375.jpg

hopefully that sun comes here soon, so far no sign of that cloud layer breaking or thining.

Rain has arrived in Cork now.

Sun trying to poke out every now and then but no more than a few seconds at a time.

Supercell wrote: »

557375.jpg

where????

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

sporina wrote: »
    where????

Answer on bottom right of photo.

Answer on bottom right of photo.

is that Loughlinstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shepards Delight

Mount Dillon
    Weather
    A balmy evening
    16c at present
    Cloudy
    Rain is forecast for the foreseeable anyway
    So I expect grass growth to go crazy the next while .

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shepards Delight

sporina wrote: »
    is that Loughlinstown?

To reply to this message also .yes it's a Southern Dublin Suburb.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,213 ✭✭✭✭km79

Jesus it’s so humid

• Advertisement

Dunsany totals for June are now in. We finished with 12.6mm of rainfall for the month (-58.9mm)

Temperature finished at 13.9C (+0.9C). However the first half of the month we were around 15C and this came down by over a degree in the second half of the month, mostly due to some very chilly nights and generally average to cool nights in the second half of the month.

Warmest temperature at Dunshaughlin was 24C.

We had 10 days in June reaching 20c or higher while another 8 reached 19C.

Friday 25th of June was the coldest day of the month with a high of only 14C.

All in all a decent month and a feeling of summer generally throughout the month.

I don't expect July to be anywhere as good as this but hopefully we will get some properly warm weather at some point with 25C+ and higher for a few days this summer as we did not see these sort of temperatures last year at all.

Yesterday 1st of July reached 23C and today 20C. We are already well ahead of Summer 2020 in terms of warm days.

Advertisement