Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's kind of remarkable how often the weather, in the east at least, seems to switch (usually for the worse) just around the start of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Fog to low cloud this morning, got burnt off by the sun for a time with the heat only getting going before frontal cloud spilled over, as such the thermometer on the AWS only peaked just above 19c.

Some very light sporadic rain from 8pm till 10.45pm then a little more proper rain since with the AWS reporting 0.4mm here in the south of Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shepards Delight

A very cold morning
    14c currently in Mount Dillon
    14km Easterlies
    Cloudy at present

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Hope if holds out, I'll be on Mount Brandon tomorrow!

Yes so Thursday unfortunately the sun didn't really get out around Brandon Bay but it wasn't very thick and it was still beautiful. Top of the mount there was no visibility but no wind at all, I've never been anywhere as silent, you could hear the wings of birds flapping, pretty spooky. We camped on a beach in Brandon Bay and there it was so still and quiet, when the clouds broke at night I hadn't seen such bright visible stars in years.
    Back in Dublin now and it's a pretty ugly morning, raining lightly and dull. Was a great June but I hope July and August aren't as bad as last year!
    Will we ever get a nice August again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭sporina

Cork City - lashed here all night (light sleeper).. 3 diff forecasts - all diff.. tis dry atm.. we have 2 plans depending on the weather (thankfully Cinemas are back open)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Lashing rain here in NCD, hopefully it takes up later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

appledrop wrote: »
    Lashing rain here in NCD, hopefully it takes up later on.

Rte says it'll be 21c with some sun later in Dub so might turn out ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Light showers here in North Dublin but still warm. Sun threatening. Can see blue through breaks in the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Any chance of another heatwave any time soon??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shepards Delight

Any chance we might get a heatwave this summer I be more inclined to ask .

Absolutely lashing here in Arklow at the moment

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

unlikely we usually only get a heatwave once or twice per decade, a bit similar to proper snowy easterlies in the winter. Last one in my opinion was 2013, while 2018 was a classic summer and plenty of very warm weather, it fell just short of a heatwave. The word heatwave gets used far too much in the rag papers once the sun comes out and the temperatures goes above 18C!

However we should get more days of warm sunshine and temperatures into the low to mid 20s hopefully in the second half of July and maybe August. Early September can also bring similar temperatures.

grey and sunny here in Cork City (glimmers of blue skies to be seen too though) - i'll take that - at least its not rain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Very close and humid in Castlebar today, only spots of drizzle so far but heavier rain should move in by late afternoon.

Into the 3rd of July now and still not a second of sunshine yet this month. Seems July is taking up where June left off.

New Moon

https://twitter.com/LaoisWeather/status/1411321010423541764?s=20

Some sunny spells and a passing drizzle shower or two so far here in south Laois today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

I hope they are wrong about rain again tomorrow as hoping to get out to park.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

downpour here at Dunshaughlin after a reasonably sunny and warm afternoon. No thunder with it which is typical here in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

We had some heavy showers in D5 this morning but this afternoon has been dry and I think it might have hit about 20 degrees, really humid

• Advertisement

we are having a grand day here in Cork - even some sun :) delighted forecast was wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Overcast in Cobh all day, max of 18.5C. Rain came overnight, then held off for the day, now coming back again. Got work done outside.

Total of 13.7mm today. Badly needed TBH.

not that much in the way of showers today in Meath apart from that one very heavy shower a few hours ago. Ground here is fairly damp and it feels more fresh. First night that I can notice it getting darker a bit earlier too.

Rain rate just shy of 400mm/ph at the local met station earlier today:

AS6pccQ.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Rain rate just shy of 400mm at the local met station earlier today:

AS6pccQ.png

Wow !
    That missed us

km79 wrote: »
    Wow !
    That missed us
    We should see similar if not higher values over the north and east tomorrow.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Galway going to get some shower shortly pitch black over the bay

Danno wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/LaoisWeather/status/1411321010423541764?s=20

Some sunny spells and a passing drizzle shower or two so far here in south Laois today.

No sooner than I had that posted and a downpour passed over. Grabbed a much needed 7.4mm from that. Took a while for skies to clear following that but we got a good two hours of "hot" sunshine in the late afternoon.

Another light shower followed on this evening, but didn't mount to much. Feeling cool out there now despite temperature hovering around 15c.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Into the 3rd of July now and still not a second of sunshine yet this month. Seems July is taking up where June left off.

where are you?

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »
    where are you?

NE Galway. Sham town to be exact. Hated far and wide.

New Moon

Advertisement